The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wimbledon Day 13 - Murray v Federer - Mens Final

+28
LuvSports!
User 774433
sirfredperry
Duty281
Leff
Danny_1982
yloponom68
Adam D
JuliusHMarx
eirebilly
Chazfazzer
mystiroakey
kemet
TopoftheChops
Tropicalfruiter
reckoner
Josiah Maiestas
laverfan
slashermcguirk
paulscholes
Good Golly I'm Olly
lydian
hawkeye
Jahu
CAS
carrieg4
CaledonianCraig
bogbrush
32 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Wimbledon Day 13 - Murray v Federer - Mens Final - Page 5 Empty Wimbledon Day 13 - Murray v Federer - Mens Final

Post by Guest Sat 07 Jul 2012, 10:43 pm

First topic message reminder :

I thought I would start this up so people can feel free post.

I hope for a decent final. I shall be watching the final 3D which will be a first.

May the best man win.

Either way history will be written tomorrow no matter the outcome.

A winner for tennis thumbsup

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon Day 13 - Murray v Federer - Mens Final - Page 5 Empty Re: Wimbledon Day 13 - Murray v Federer - Mens Final

Post by reckoner Sun 08 Jul 2012, 6:42 pm

what a final - well done to both players, but especially TMF!

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon Day 13 - Murray v Federer - Mens Final - Page 5 Empty Re: Wimbledon Day 13 - Murray v Federer - Mens Final

Post by Leff Sun 08 Jul 2012, 6:48 pm

The current crop of players will not have the slightest chance of reaching 17 slam titles. Not Rafa, not Novak. It's probably not appropriate to compare Roger with Laver. Roger must be among the greatest ever.

Excellent effort by Andy, better than Henman ever did. I don't think he lost by playing badly. Fed used all his experience and knew when to change gears.

Thanks to both for putting on a good show of tennis.

Congratulations, Federer. Bubbly

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Sun 08 Jul 2012, 6:50 pm

Well done to Roger Federer. He throughly deserved the win in the end. Disappointed but not upset. Thought that Murray gave it a good go but in the end just came up against a better player. Nothing to really be down on himself for. He missed a few chances but then again so did Federer.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun 08 Jul 2012, 6:52 pm

Very well done to Federer. clap

Murray. Fantastic tournament. rose Onward and upward. Lendl has done well with his pupil. thumbsup

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Jul 2012, 6:53 pm

laverfan wrote:Very well done to Federer. clap

Murray. Fantastic tournament. rose Onward and upward. Lendl has done well with his pupil. thumbsup

Aye Lendl has earned my respect as a coach. clap

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sun 08 Jul 2012, 6:53 pm

Sad Crying or Very sad

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Jul 2012, 7:11 pm

Maybe Andy can strike gold in 4 weeks? Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 08 Jul 2012, 7:13 pm

what sort of surface is it?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Sun 08 Jul 2012, 7:26 pm

kemet wrote:Murray should have stopped talking there. I am so gutted for him. He needs to keep this short and sweet and take some time to regain his composure.

I actually found it quite touching that he expressed how much it meant to him and how devastated he was. I mean look at all the people who showed up to support him. I felt a tad sorry for him. Even if he's taken the second set though, I still don't feel Murray would have won, Fed was creating so many break point opportunities and had the match gone to a 5th, Fed would have continued to create them and it only takes one, as the 3rd and 4th set showed.

I found some of the BBC commentary pure fantasy, I mean they said Fed was looking tired in the second set and then out of nowhere Fed snatches the 2nd set and the BBC commentators quickly shut up about Fed looking 'tired'. He certainly didn't look like he was tired in the 3rd and 4th, he looked like a man on a mission! More commonly known to many as 'God Mode'.

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Sun 08 Jul 2012, 7:34 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:Maybe Andy can strike gold in 4 weeks? Very Happy

Doubt it. Lendl and the rest of his camp will have a big job to build him up again. Remember how he has gone walkabout for a few months after his two AO finals losses. Think he just needs to go out in the Olympics enjoy himself and not care too much whether he wins or looses. His next main focus should be the USO with a good run at one of the Masters (Canada or Cinci) before that. For players like Federer, Nadal and Djokovic who already have won Grand Slams an Olympic Gold is a nice addition to the CV. Murray needs to get that Slam.

Last edited by Calder106 on Sun 08 Jul 2012, 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : mispelling.)

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 08 Jul 2012, 7:37 pm

luciusmann wrote:
kemet wrote:Murray should have stopped talking there. I am so gutted for him. He needs to keep this short and sweet and take some time to regain his composure.

I actually found it quite touching that he expressed how much it meant to him and how devastated he was. I mean look at all the people who showed up to support him. I felt a tad sorry for him. Even if he's taken the second set though, I still don't feel Murray would have won, Fed was creating so many break point opportunities and had the match gone to a 5th, Fed would have continued to create them and it only takes one, as the 3rd and 4th set showed.

I beg to differ. The second set was a smash and grab job by Roger and that turned it around for him and was a huge momentum swing. Federer (if memory serves) never got a look in on the Murray serve in the second set until he broke whereas I do recall Murray had break points in two of Fed's service games but couldn't take them. If Murray had won that second set that momentum swing would never have happened.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sun 08 Jul 2012, 8:04 pm

spot on cc. it felt like a footy match where the home side is on the front foot with all the pressure for 89 minutes before the away team nicks it in the 90th minute.
feds boi is great but 2 come back from two down would have been a hugggee ask.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun 08 Jul 2012, 8:10 pm

Maybe 5th time lucky for you Murray when you reach another final, why not?

or 6th

or 7th

or 8th

Sorry
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 08 Jul 2012, 8:14 pm

garantee that murray has won a few more fans from that performance and speech- cant beat abit of emotion, and it was genuine so good play- he has just raised his celeb profile even if he never wins a major

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun 08 Jul 2012, 8:17 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:Maybe 5th time lucky for you Murray when you reach another final, why not?

or 6th

or 7th

or 8th

Sorry

The other 126 did not even make the final. Give him credit, JM. OK

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Jul 2012, 8:17 pm

mystiroakey wrote:garantee that murray has won a few more fans from that performance and speech- cant beat abit of emotion, and it was genuine so good play- he has just raised his celeb profile even if he never wins a major

I don't know.

My neighbours were calling him a Scottish so and so.

Back to top Go down

Post by coolpixel Sun 08 Jul 2012, 8:20 pm

Murray played brilliantly and in the second set he DID have Federer on the ropes, but then in that last game, the subconscious from which genius springs decided to go with those two drop volleys.........

by the way Fed fans, did you think Fed's interview by Sue Barker was a wee bit ungracious? after all he could have acknowledged the crowd.

coolpixel

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun 08 Jul 2012, 8:21 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:garantee that murray has won a few more fans from that performance and speech- cant beat abit of emotion, and it was genuine so good play- he has just raised his celeb profile even if he never wins a major

I don't know.

Its sad that others want to take credit for Murray's possible slam win today that they are going to slag him off when he loses. He atleast won a set against a very much on song Federer, put that in perspective Youzhny a former top 10er won only 5 games off Federer 2 rounds ago.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Jul 2012, 8:22 pm

I don't think it was ungracious.

It was a lot to take in for him as it would be any other player. I thought he conducted himself well given the circurmstances Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun 08 Jul 2012, 8:22 pm

luciusmann wrote:He certainly didn't look like he was tired in the 3rd and 4th, he looked like a man on a mission! More commonly known to many as 'God Mode'.

Absolutely.

“I thought I played a pretty good match,” said Murray. “[There was] a lot of close shots, a lot of close games, a lot of break points here and there. He played very, very well the last two sets especially. When the roof closed, he played unbelievable tennis."

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2012/07/27/Wimbledon-Sunday2-Final-Report.aspx

Glimpses of WTF v Nadal, just a bit better.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Jul 2012, 8:23 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:

I don't know.

Its sad that others want to take credit for Murray's possible slam win today that they are going to slag him off when he loses. He atleast won a set against a very much on song Federer, put that in perspective Youzhny a former top 10er won only 5 games off Federer 2 rounds ago.

My brother on the blower yesterday said and I quote "He isn't British, he is Scottish"

picard

I am still working on something to prove we are not related Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Sun 08 Jul 2012, 8:24 pm

coolpixel wrote:Murray played brilliantly and in the second set he DID have Federer on the ropes, but then in that last game, the subconscious from which genius springs decided to go with those two drop volleys.........

by the way Fed fans, did you think Fed's interview by Sue Barker was a wee bit ungracious? after all he could have acknowledged the crowd.

laughing

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun 08 Jul 2012, 8:25 pm

This should also help put the AO 2009 or AO 2006 tears in context. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Jul 2012, 8:26 pm

laverfan wrote:

This should also help put the AO 2009 or AO 2006 tears in context. Wink

I still think the Agassi US Open 2006 tears take some beating.

Even I was blubbering.

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 08 Jul 2012, 8:26 pm

yeah my cousin said to me today "obviously i am supporting fed"- but he can be a twit, and takes the england football thing to heart lol... its all about the now though- yesterdasy to some he was just a scot- today he is a plucky loser that shows emotion, thats an arch typical modern brit

Last edited by mystiroakey on Sun 08 Jul 2012, 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Jul 2012, 8:28 pm

laverfan wrote:
luciusmann wrote:He certainly didn't look like he was tired in the 3rd and 4th, he looked like a man on a mission! More commonly known to many as 'God Mode'.

Absolutely.

“I thought I played a pretty good match,” said Murray. “[There was] a lot of close shots, a lot of close games, a lot of break points here and there. He played very, very well the last two sets especially. When the roof closed, he played unbelievable tennis."

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2012/07/27/Wimbledon-Sunday2-Final-Report.aspx

Glimpses of WTF v Nadal, just a bit better.
Did Mr Federer have to play in "god mode" to beat Andy Murray today?

If someone says the opponent played "unbelievable" tennis, what does that say about a players understanding and belief? Perhaps in this case the phrase "unbelievable" was meant in an expressive sense rather than an informative sense.

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 08 Jul 2012, 8:35 pm

Well at times he did play unbelievable tennis - I don't think that can be argued with. Interestingly, I'd say the match changed in Fed's smash and grab of the second set and that was like a Mike Tyson upper cut to the solar plxus for Andy and one he never really recovered from.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 08 Jul 2012, 8:36 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:
Josiah Maiestas wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:

I don't know.

My brother on the blower yesterday said and I quote "He isn't British, he is Scottish"

picard

Is he Alex Salmond?

Sorry, but the sight of him there was enough to make it essential Andy didn't win.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by coolpixel Sun 08 Jul 2012, 8:39 pm

hey Mac,

all's well with the world now. nothing to be proved. all the talking and doing is done! even the GOAT debate is settled methinks.

coolpixel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Jul 2012, 8:41 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:Well at times he did play unbelievable tennis - I don't think that can be argued with. Interestingly, I'd say the match changed in Fed's smash and grab of the second set and that was like a Mike Tyson upper cut to the solar plxus for Andy and one he never really recovered from.
Since AO 2011 Murray has begun to take sets off the top three players quite consistently in GS tournaments. I felt the moderately slippery surface of the grass really worked in Federers favour this tournament. He was far more secure and authoritative on it than either Djokovic (SF) or Murray (final - at least the latter part of it which I saw). Federer also cut down on the unforced errors and was really focussed - whereas in the recent past he seems to have lost concentration during matches.

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 08 Jul 2012, 8:44 pm

Yes I'd agree with that Nore Staat. The thing to consider is how long can Roger continue? Another two or three years? If so who then is waiting to take over the reign as top dog at Wimbledon? Today Murray has put himself right there at the front of the queue. I mean I would say (yes I know I'm biased) but in my opinion Andy gave Roger much more of a fight today than Novak did on Friday.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 08 Jul 2012, 8:51 pm

Yes, he did. I was worried about today because I felt Andy was very battle hardened by the Ferrer & Tsonga matches.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Jul 2012, 8:51 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:Yes I'd agree with that Nore Staat. The thing to consider is how long can Roger continue? Another two or three years? If so who then is waiting to take over the reign as top dog at Wimbledon? Today Murray has put himself right there at the front of the queue. I mean I would say (yes I know I'm biased) but in my opinion Andy gave Roger much more of a fight today than Novak did on Friday.
I may be wrong but I think the USOpen surface will favour Murray and Djokovic over Federer compared to this years Wimbledon surface. I think the greater grip will allow both Murray and Djokovic to play better their running type of game (sharp changes in movement).

ps Lendl's career should be motivation enough for Murray to keep working hard and remain committed. Lendl lost eleven times in GS finals ... but he won eight. In Lendls first seven GS finals he lost six and won one (on the fifth attempt).

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 08 Jul 2012, 8:56 pm

Yes I'd agree there. Is Murray any closer to Djokovic? Well signs are there that he is at present. Australian Open Semi he came as close as you can (practically) to beating him. At Wimbledon I'd say Andy gave Roger more trouble than Novak. Now in the coming few weeks the onus is on Nadal and Djokovic to respond to the fresh challenges put in by Roger and Andy that has broken up their recent monopoly of the slams.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Jul 2012, 8:57 pm

Murrays match with Ferrer has shown just how much Murray has progressed this tournament. Ferrer is peaking late in his career and can no longer be underestimated.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Jul 2012, 9:13 pm

bogbrush wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:
Josiah Maiestas wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:

I don't know.

picard

Is he Alex Salmond?

Sorry, but the sight of him there was enough to make it essential Andy didn't win.

What made me laugh the most today was the opening on the BBC when they had sporting achievements being overplayed and then 'Johnny Wilkinson has done it for England'

Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Sun 08 Jul 2012, 9:43 pm

Wow, never thought I would come on tennis board and end up feeling more positive about a Murray defeat.

It is good to see that whether we be Murray fans, Fed fans, Djokovic fans, Nadal fans, or even Dee fans, we are all tennis fans. This is down to great, emotionally mature posters and positive moderation and admin.

clap to all. A far cry from the 606 days.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 08 Jul 2012, 9:45 pm

I'll echo that and credit to Federer fans for not rubbing it in and recognising the part Andy played in the final. Hug
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Sun 08 Jul 2012, 9:46 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:I'll echo that and credit to Federer fans for not rubbing it in and recognising the part Andy played in the final. Hug

thumbsup Hug

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Jul 2012, 9:49 pm

Without question today's final touched the Brit in tennis fans who may not be Murray supporters. Shows that we are touched by the partisan bug, even if it is just a little bit Braveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by coolpixel Sun 08 Jul 2012, 9:53 pm

andy murray has nothing to beat himself up for. he had Federer in the first two sets.

but then those two drop shots in the second set.

even HIM would have struggled to get those.

coolpixel

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 08 Jul 2012, 9:56 pm

carrieg4 wrote:Wow, never thought I would come on tennis board and end up feeling more positive about a Murray defeat.

It is good to see that whether we be Murray fans, Fed fans, Djokovic fans, Nadal fans, or even Dee fans, we are all tennis fans. This is down to great, emotionally mature posters and positive moderation and admin.

clap to all. A far cry from the 606 days.

This, big time.

606 seems like a dimly recalled nightmare compared to this place.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun 08 Jul 2012, 10:02 pm

Nore Staat wrote:
Did Mr Federer have to play in "god mode" to beat Andy Murray today?

If someone says the opponent played "unbelievable" tennis, what does that say about a players understanding and belief? Perhaps in this case the phrase "unbelievable" was meant in an expressive sense rather than an informative sense.

I agree NS. 'Unbelievable' also gets amalgamated with 'belief' or lack thereof and hence the existence or lack thereof, of 'God Mode'. IIRC, Nadal used the same (translated into English, at least) 'expressive' statement to describe his loss at WTF. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Sun 08 Jul 2012, 10:05 pm

laverfan wrote:'Unbelievable' also gets amalgamated with 'belief' or lack thereof and hence the existence or lack thereof, of 'God Mode'

Erm chin Erm

It's been a long day. I may need to re-read in the morning when my brain is functioning properly Laugh

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Sun 08 Jul 2012, 10:08 pm

The match went the way I wanted it to, Murray didn't even get humiliated and it was a tense affair the whole way through. But as happy as I am for Fed, I'm equally gutted for Murray, against any other player I would have cheered for Murray. Indeed I would have loved for him to take one of the last 2 wimbledons when Fed lost early. I really hope Murray can finish on at least 1 like Fed said as I have him down in my mind as a better player than Novak.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Sun 08 Jul 2012, 10:12 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:I beg to differ. The second set was a smash and grab job by Roger and that turned it around for him and was a huge momentum swing. Federer (if memory serves) never got a look in on the Murray serve in the second set until he broke whereas I do recall Murray had break points in two of Fed's service games but couldn't take them. If Murray had won that second set that momentum swing would never have happened.

We'll never know now because Murray never got that second set. Perhaps Murray would have been well advised to remember what happened last time Fed was in a Wimbledon final: his opponent Roddick won the first set, and had 3 set points for the second. Roddick had 3 golden opportunities. All went begging. Fed cruelly snatched that set away from Roddick. Fed did exactly the same thing to Murray. I concede that it was a huge momentum swing but the way Murray played after caused the most damage. It was amazing to observe the mood change on centre court and the annoying BBC commentators. All were silenced. It was the manner in which Fed snatched that second set which broke Murray's will (it was so unexpected). After the loss of the second set, it was mainly a battle of Murray hanging onto his own service games. I find it rather odd though, Murray himself said that the coaching he'd got from Lendl had been teaching him to keep his emotions in check more but immediately after looking the 2nd set, he didn't respond well to the set back. You sensed Murray was going to get broken in the 3rd, it was a matter or when, not if.

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Jul 2012, 10:32 pm

I tell you what struck me today.

That 1987 final. I am sure there wasn't a blade of grass on CC!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5