The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chris Eubank Jr... I Dunno

+3
Seanusarrilius
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
AlexHuckerby
7 posters

Go down

Chris Eubank Jr... I Dunno Empty Chris Eubank Jr... I Dunno

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 08 Jul 2012, 6:36 pm

He's been matched real tough so far, which is fantastic to see, really testing him against good experienced level opposition and most importantly very game fighters.

There's a lot of things I like about him, such as his work rate is extremely high, he looks as though he will rarely be in a dull fight, he throws terrific body shots and really leans into them and throws them with real intent and very accurate. One thing he definitely seems to have taken from his dad is a very good chin and has something that his dad didn't have, stamina. Got to be honest, his stamina seems incredible, after a VERY lively 6 rounds he wasn't even breathing hard!

However there was one thing that Al Bernstein ticked upon and perhaps something that he will change once he gets more experienced and faces tougher opposition but it's his style and his seeming lack of power. There were moments when he was landing real hard solid right hands on Carruthers but it never really seemed to faze him and Carruthers also said to his trainer in the corner "He's not actually that strong." There's no major problem with this, but with his style he seems to perhaps need to stand back a little and use his jab a little more instead of constantly swarming as perhaps against higher level of opponents they could perhaps use the power to there advantage with Chris maybe playing a little more into his opponents hands.

Just my view, what you lot think?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Chris Eubank Jr... I Dunno Empty Re: Chris Eubank Jr... I Dunno

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 08 Jul 2012, 6:58 pm

I think he has started really well with his pro career, I'm pretty sure he didn't have much of a amateur career

As you said he has shown obvious flaws but they can be ironed out. He has been matched as hard as I've seen a novice. He has a very exciting style and looks like he has the athletic abilities to make a career from it. He has great stamina, hand speed, chin, inside game and is pretty big too

The one real worry I have is that he hasn't shown a lot of punching power. He connects frequently with most of his opponents but never has them in much trouble although his opponents to date have all been pretty tough

I think that his power will come with time. I also think that he has a lot of muscle at 160 but if he cuts it down a bit to 154 he might just find that he can hurt people easier

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 08 Jul 2012, 7:22 pm

He looks like a pretty big 160 lber so I'm not sure he can cut to 154 without really draining himself, like you say he has been matched hard so this could really be why, I think his opponents to date have been of a higher quality than Deontay Wilders and he's had like what? 5 fights or something.

So that could actually be the reason, although he occassionally does slap with his right hand but even the more solid l think doesn't seem to trouble his opponents, he could also do better in a 12 round fight where he's really able to grind his opponents down, but generally you have to have a bit of extra power to be able to do that at the higher levels in boxing.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 08 Jul 2012, 7:30 pm

I think Eubank will benefit form longer fights once he gets going. Then he will be able to wear down opponents in second half of fights and get more KO/TKO's. Also, he will fill out as he develops. I think its also important to acknowledge, as you have Alex, the toughness of some of the guys he has been facing. Want to see his power develop, as I think he must have at least "stay off me" snap, but I think it will come. Good prospect, here's hoping Fatty Hennessey gets him in the ring more often

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 08 Jul 2012, 8:11 pm

His power will come when he learns to plant and punch through. So far they have been more arm punches. Plus he has been matched very hard for a novice with limited amateur fights.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Sun 08 Jul 2012, 8:46 pm

i agree, he's been matched hard and fair play to him.

but his lack of power has been evident in the last few fights, he just doesnt knock his opponents over, even when he looks like he's throwing them with real intent.

the top guys in the division will walk through those shots with ease.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon 09 Jul 2012, 11:07 am

I don't see anything to rave about with Eubank Jr to be honest.

People say he is being matched with tough guys but to me it just looks like journeymen are holding their own with him due to the lack of power.

At this stage of the game he should be knocking out his first handful of opponents with ease.

He stuggled with Jason Ball in his 2nd fight. Hardly a wiley old veteran. The same Jason Ball who couldn't last a round with Liam Cameron and hes hardly anything special.

Then Terry Carruthers, was catching Eubank far too easy couldnt be put away. Now Carruthers is apparantly a tough guy....yea right, Hennessy has put him in with people who he has been expected to blow away and he isn't able to do it. Carruthers had been stopped 5 times before meeting Eubank.

If there was that much potential in Eubank Jr he wouldn't be with Mick Hennessy. He would be with either Warren or Hearn. That is a facto!!!
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 09 Jul 2012, 11:28 am

I'm on the fence.

he's been matched with guys who have 'win some lose some'' records as opposed to 'lose some lose some more', which is more the norm for the first few fights. And i think there's something in the fact that these guys are on tv against 'a prospect/name' and have all come to have ago. Carruthers didn't look like a guy who had lost half his fight and been stiffed in half of those.

This said, that's what carruthers is/was so regardless of being a novice with no amateur career... you'd expect a hot prospect to be winning these more comfortably.

He has potential and attributes though, so fingers crossed he'll improve with experience

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down