The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pro 12 Season Preview: Ospreys

+8
PJHolybloke
Pot Hale
maestegmafia
gowales
LordDowlais
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
wayne
Breadvan
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Pro 12 Season Preview: Ospreys Empty Pro 12 Season Preview: Ospreys

Post by Guest Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:21 pm

Pro 12 Season Preview – Ospreys

It was a season of two halves last year for the Swansea based Ospreys. Underachieving yet again in the Heineken Cup but clinching a scintillating victory away from home against Leinster to be crowned the Rabo Direct Pro 12 Champions. There’s no hiding from it, the Ospreys are proven winners in the league, and yet they still fail to really stamp their potential dominance on their opponents.

Contrary to the media hysteria of a “mass exodus of players from Wales” the Ospreys, same as all the other regions in Wales, have been doing a good job of bringing through their academy players and securing those of their stars, like Adam Jones, for the long term future. Add to that their new signing of a returning player, Jonathan Spratt, who had fledged the nest a few seasons ago, then it’s all good news for this region in bringing Welsh talent back to Wales.

There’s not been much news on the signing front at the Ospreys this summer as they work hard to secure themselves financially, and what with a recent winding up order hanging over their heads, it’s a job easier said than done. Their innovative season ticket deal seems to have sparked some life into the fans of the region though, and with them having finished last season on a high, the Ospreys team must be hoping they reap the benefits of this.

A word of caution must be applied to this side though. Many times before they’ve shown promise only to fail to progress further, and they must, under the motivational guidance of new coach Steve Tandy, build on last season’s successes. It will be a task easier said than done, and I for one feel that the loss of Paul James could come back to haunt them. For me in seasons passed, he has been one, if not the most important player to them, or at least on a level with mighty Adam Jones. Ryan Bevington having long shown glimpses of a superb talent will have to take the opportunity afforded to him with both hands – he has very big boots to fill.

As with all the regions, in the Pro 12, negotiating the international periods will be critical for the Ospreys, but it’s a task that they are well equipped to face. Their forwards, with or without their internationals, are a fearsome unit, with many able deputies seen in the guise of the likes of Duncan Jones. If they see themselves safely through the Autumn Internationals and 6 Nations, I can only see them once again reaching the play offs. Retaining the title must surely be their aim.

Some (myself included) often say they come from the wrong side of the Loughor bridge, but a firing and strong Ospreys can only be good for Wales. From their rivalry with the other regions (especially the Scarlets), to the players they produce for the international team, a winning mentality in rugby is priceless. Long may the success of the Ospreys continue if no other region is capable, if only to encourage the other regions to compete and to bring that winning edge to Welsh rugby, that at international level at least, is sometimes so difficult to find.

My players to watch: Ryan Bevington, Ashley Beck, Jonathan Spratt, Dan Biggar, Justin Tipuric.

Back to top Go down

Pro 12 Season Preview: Ospreys Empty Re: Pro 12 Season Preview: Ospreys

Post by Breadvan Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:41 pm

Wrong side of the Loughor? The cheek! Wink No that ST has a full pre seson to mould the squad into what he wants, its going to be an interesting start to the rabo. The summer signings have been, well non exisent so far, but hopefully the O's can land a few more players. I was suprised at the number of released players. Especailly the likes off Watermeyer and Owen, who i'd like to see given more game time but is that down to the coaches plans for the season or financial limits?

Disagree on P James. I thought he was a bit of a penalty machine last season in the scrum and loose. Solid enough but not the player of 2 years ago. Baldwin is an ideal replacement and should fit right in.

Exciting time for O's fans. An increase in attendnaces, young home grown talent coming thru with a mix of the experienced heads, certainlty leads to optimism more than the usual pessimism that heralds the new season.
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:58 pm

Breadvan wrote:Wrong side of the Loughor? The cheek! Wink No that ST has a full pre seson to mould the squad into what he wants, its going to be an interesting start to the rabo. The summer signings have been, well non exisent so far, but hopefully the O's can land a few more players. I was suprised at the number of released players. Especailly the likes off Watermeyer and Owen, who i'd like to see given more game time but is that down to the coaches plans for the season or financial limits?

Disagree on P James. I thought he was a bit of a penalty machine last season in the scrum and loose. Solid enough but not the player of 2 years ago. Baldwin is an ideal replacement and should fit right in.

Exciting time for O's fans. An increase in attendnaces, young home grown talent coming thru with a mix of the experienced heads, certainlty leads to optimism more than the usual pessimism that heralds the new season.
P.James is a prop and Baldwin is a hooker and Paul is the best scrummaging loose head prop in Wales

Last edited by wayne on Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : missing prop position)

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:23 am

Bevington....my mistake.
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:23 am

The change in coaching set-up seemed to do plenty of good for the Os part-way thru last - with a full pre-season, should we expect that side of things to develop even better?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:43 am

Folks said the same about the dragons set up last season tho As. Too often for me it seems a new coach gets good performances for a few months then it tapers off. Will be interesting to see if Tandy can continue it.

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:58 pm

Breadvan wrote:Wrong side of the Loughor? The cheek! Wink No that ST has a full pre seson to mould the squad into what he wants, its going to be an interesting start to the rabo. The summer signings have been, well non exisent so far, but hopefully the O's can land a few more players. I was suprised at the number of released players. Especailly the likes off Watermeyer and Owen, who i'd like to see given more game time but is that down to the coaches plans for the season or financial limits?

Watermeyer has gone hasn't he ? But anyway the Ospreys still have the nucleus of the team they had last season and for me they do not need to make any signings as they have very good youngsters coming through, Just look at the players they had in the U20 world cup, I for one expect them to finish in the top two of the Rabo and get out of their pool in the HC. Yahoo

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:18 am

Watermayer has been released.

Ospreys need to make back three signings.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:43 pm

I agree that the back three is weak now that Shane, Barry, GO, Tommy, Nicky little, Prydie and Phillips are gone. As well as walker injured.

We have Ross Jones, Luke Morgan, Hanno Dirksen and Fussell, (who I'm not very impressed with in all honesty).

We could do with a bit of cover, I suppose Issacs is available as wing cover so is Spratt.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:44 pm

Wouldn't be too upset if Khan Left. I don't think we need him. Or Stowers really.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:40 pm

We'll need Khan next year, especially if Webb is involved with Wales. I'd like him to be around for his experience, Habberfield is bit too green at this moment in time.

Khan isn't a bad a player either, he started to show some decent form towards the end of the season. With a full pre season under his belt, i think we might see a more comfortable player.

We don't need Stowers though, he's a squad player, nothing less...nothing more.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:14 pm

Yes Khan did get better and he was great at the RWC fOr Samoa. Maybe he lost form from too many games?

But I want to see more of Habberfield.

Hopefully Webb will be first choice, Habberfield second with khan as squad support.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:45 pm

I also think that Ross Jones will have a big season, he looked goog in the U20 world cup and the few games I have seen him last season with the Ospreys he did not look out of place either.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:12 pm

Ospreys looked very handy at times last season, and with their concentration on the Pro12 they earned the title once again.

Tandy has to go for broke this season and see how far he can take them in the European Cup, even if that's at the expense of losing a few crucial games in the league through rotation. A semi-final or even a final spot in the EC would be worth trading for taking out a Pro 12 title again against flogged successful European sides.

In fact, it would be nice to see one of the Scottish sides winning the league title this season. Glasgow seem to have it in them.

Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:32 pm

Pot Hale wrote:Ospreys looked very handy at times last season, and with their concentration on the Pro12 they earned the title once again.

Tandy has to go for broke this season and see how far he can take them in the European Cup, even if that's at the expense of losing a few crucial games in the league through rotation. A semi-final or even a final spot in the EC would be worth trading for taking out a Pro 12 title again against flogged successful European sides.

In fact, it would be nice to see one of the Scottish sides winning the league title this season. Glasgow seem to have it in them.

I think all Ospreys fans would agree with you on wanting more than a Quarter Final spot in the HEC...! Tandy has had a valuable impact... Lets hope it continues.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:49 pm

Bath will be visiting the Liberty Stadium on August 18th for a pre-season warm-up, it will be interesting to see if James plays in that one.

I also think it will be an interesting game in terms of being a yardstick of how the summer player movements for the two clubs have affected their potential for the forthcoming season.

On paper, and based on last season's league placings, I would expect the O's to beat Bath fairly comfortably, but I'm hoping Bath will see the benefit of a new coaching set-up and a full pre-season for some of last seasons sick-notes.

If Bath finish within 7 I'll be optimistic about 2012-13...
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:16 pm

I'd be very surprised if there is much to be taken from pre season games mate... We never start a year well.

Here's to hoping though

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:02 pm

I'm not so sure Maesteg, Bath will want to win the game and I would be surprised if the O's don't respond in kind.

Bath started off badly last season, were poor through the middle of it and ended up pretty shoite to be fair. They'll be looking to put that behind them throughout the pre-season warm-ups, and although, as you suggest, it all has to be taken in context, I know what I'm looking for and I'm expecting to see it.

I think the O's will be Bath's most competitive warm-up as they play London Welsh the week before and then the Blues the week after just 8 days before the first game of the new season.
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:08 pm

Blues wont be weak this year. Phil Davies is a talented coach, he got the scarlets to the semis of the HEC on an unbeaten run, winning home and away vs Toulouse.

Ospreys will be up for it for sure, can't imagine anyone not being up for one of the first game of the year, i know us fans will be...

Great to see Bath RFC touring Wales, as a near neighbour we have enjoyed seeing many of your great teams of the past in Wales.

Hope to see you at the Liberty mate...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:58 pm

I'll be there as a guest of Penfropete Maesteg, if you fancy a beer I'm sure we can arrange a meet. OK guinness

I'm looking forward to it, I wasn't suggesting Blues would be weak either, but as the game comes just a week before the season starts for real, I would be surprised if Bath or Blues field a full-on starting XV, I would expect the first choice XV's to start the game at the Liberty.
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:47 pm

Hope so... It'll be interesting to see who the choice first xv are for both teams.!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:18 am

Pot Hale wrote:Ospreys looked very handy at times last season, and with their concentration on the Pro12 they earned the title once again.

Coming 3rd in our pool wouldn't be such a disgrace, i don't want Tandy or the team to do an Edinburgh and sacrifice the league. I would like us to do well in the league, possibly win it and with the extra funds etc... continue to build the squad up so we can have a crack in Europe. I don't think we have a good chance next year, i don't want us to risk it.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:10 am

Go Wales what would you spend the potential earnings from winning the 2012/13 rabbo league on?

A). Overseas super stars

B). Top welsh talent fro other clubs

C). Our academy

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:10 am

Go Wales what would you spend the potential earnings from winning the 2012/13 rabbo league on?

A). Overseas super stars

B). Top welsh talent fro other clubs

C). Our academy

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:18 am

Good Question.

I would like some good overseas players tbh. Not necessarily super stars because we wouldn't be able to afford them anyway! But just good foreign players who would add depth to the squad, and who will be with the region all year and be 100% focused on the Ospreys. The back three is the main area of concern for me, the rest of the squad is all right although we could do with strengthening our aging back row in the next few years and building some depth at lock whenever Gough decides to retire.

I don't want them (management) putting all their chips on Walker and Morgan turning out to be good players, because quite frankly i'm not holding my breath on either of them turning out to be decent, we all had high hopes for Phillips, Prydie and Owen and look at how that turned out.

Investing in the academy is good as well, but that's for the longer term really. I want us to build up the Ospreys, not just have an odd good year in the HC.

I don't know if we can really take any top talent away from other Welsh regions. Would we really be able to offer them better deals than say France or England? Are their any decent players who are looking for offers in Wales? Is there really any point in signing a Welsh international (most important question to me)? I think we'll only be able offer deals to the scraps like the Scarlets have done with Phillips and Owen.

Last edited by gowales on Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:28 am; edited 3 times in total

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:20 am

http://v2journal.com/pro12-season-preview-ospreys.html

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:32 pm

gowales wrote:Good Question.

I would like some good overseas players tbh. Not necessarily super stars because we wouldn't be able to afford them anyway! But just good foreign players who would add depth to the squad, and who will be with the region all year and be 100% focused on the Ospreys. The back three is the main area of concern for me, the rest of the squad is all right although we could do with strengthening our aging back row in the next few years and building some depth at lock whenever Gough decides to retire.

I don't want them (management) putting all their chips on Walker and Morgan turning out to be good players, because quite frankly i'm not holding my breath on either of them turning out to be decent, we all had high hopes for Phillips, Prydie and Owen and look at how that turned out.

Investing in the academy is good as well, but that's for the longer term really. I want us to build up the Ospreys, not just have an odd good year in the HC.

I don't know if we can really take any top talent away from other Welsh regions. Would we really be able to offer them better deals than say France or England? Are their any decent players who are looking for offers in Wales? Is there really any point in signing a Welsh international (most important question to me)? I think we'll only be able offer deals to the scraps like the Scarlets have done with Phillips and Owen.

Why buy adult overseas players when we produce players like Hanno Dirksen, Ashley Beck, Rhys Webb, Justin Tupuric all academy players a season ago. Now either internationals or pushing for international recognition, all first team Osprey players.

I can't see any value in cheap overseas players. We had no further success than last season with the likes of Justin Marshall, Tia Tia, Jerry Collins or Marty Holah, those guys were top overseas talent. We tried that, it didn't work, so let's go home grown and run the region more economically and hopefully more successfully.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:33 pm

I agree Maes although I can see the attraction, and need, for top talent and experience in the Ospreys backline, at the minute the Ospreys can't afford to buy players of the calibre that maes listed, and as he said the Ospreys did just as well relying on their youngsters as they did with those players and Welsh internationals like Byrne, Hook and Phillips.

With the budget they do have, they might just be buying a Norton-Knight or Parks instead of a Lualua or Blair. And as well as taking up much needed money from the region and playing squad, these players would be blocking some of the exciting young talent coming through at the Ospreys (especially if it is a poor NWQ signing)

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:23 am

Smirnoffpriest wrote:I agree Maes although I can see the attraction, and need, for top talent and experience in the Ospreys backline, at the minute the Ospreys can't afford to buy players of the calibre that maes listed, and as he said the Ospreys did just as well relying on their youngsters as they did with those players and Welsh internationals like Byrne, Hook and Phillips.

With the budget they do have, they might just be buying a Norton-Knight or Parks instead of a Lualua or Blair. And as well as taking up much needed money from the region and playing squad, these players would be blocking some of the exciting young talent coming through at the Ospreys (especially if it is a poor NWQ signing)

I would say that, after reading various forums and chatting with mates at the rugby club, most rugby fans in Wales agree that overseas players are not the way forward.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:43 am

Interview with Ospreys Captain AWJ

Alyn Wynn Jones wrote:
"I'm feeling pretty good after a few weeks off" said Jones.

"It's been a long couple of years straight through with the World Cup but I've rested and it's good to be back in work again to be honest, to see all the boys and to get back into the swing of things again.

"After the way we ended the season, a good run of wins playing decent rugby and ending up with a bit of silverware, I'd say most of us if not all have been itching to get back in. We were on a roll and you'd probably say it was the worst time for us to have to stop playing and have some time off. We really could have kept going as a group but it's important that we take that time out to be fresh for the new challenges and the new journey that is ahead of us."

"I did make sure that I had a complete two weeks of nothing to recharge the batteries" he explained.

"I'd be the first to admit that I don't enjoy it so I managed to start training two weeks before coming back in, to give me a chance to get up to speed quicker.

"I didn't completely forget about work while I've been away from here. I've been in close contact with Steve throughout the off-season and I came into to see him when we got back from Australia before I went on holiday, to make sure I kept my ear to the ground if you like.

"It's been difficult not to show my face around here too much over the summer, I want to be in and around the camp and I want to be preparing for another big season with the Ospreys but like the other internationals I was under orders to take time out! I think I got the balance right though."

"First and foremost, the backing that the fans have shown to the team through season-ticket sales is a huge boost for the players before we even step foot out onto the pitch. Knowing that we've got such a big fanbase, with the highest ever season-ticket numbers, shows that the public are behind us and it's up to us as a team now to back up last year with actions and the type of performances we had at the end of last season. We're all looking forward to playing in front of big crowds week in, week out, it makes a huge difference to us."

"Speaking for myself, first and foremost my priority is to perform well for the Ospreys" he insisted.

"I've got a responsibility to the region and to the team to stay focussed on what we do here, and I realise that without reaching my full potential here then I won't get opportunities elsewhere. The Ospreys are the sole focus for me, as it should be for everyone, and anything else is a bonus.

"To get that silverware in May at the end of what had been an up and down season was a reward for everyone who dug in and fought hard for the region, on and off the pitch, and we should be all the better for that as a team this year. Some of the young boys have matured over the last year and now know what it takes to win the PRO12 which can only help moving forward. They've also tasted Europe and will know what to expect when that comes around later in the season. We're excited about where we are. We know there are big challenges ahead as there every year, but we are looking forward to them."

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:15 am

Alyn Wynn Jones wrote:
"First and foremost, the backing that the fans have shown to the team through season-ticket sales is a huge boost for the players before we even step foot out onto the pitch. Knowing that we've got such a big fanbase, with the highest ever season-ticket numbers, shows that the public are behind us and it's up to us as a team now to back up last year with actions and the type of performances we had at the end of last season. We're all looking forward to playing in front of big crowds week in, week out, it makes a huge difference to us."
Looks like Alun has been fooled by this 'initiative' too. You know the one where you buy one ticket and then invite your entire housing estate to the game for free. Still, it looks good on the cooked books.

I just feel a bit sorry for him when (after a few games) it gets back to the Library again.

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:22 am

wum 🤦

picard

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:33 am

Smirnoff, you do know how these season ticket "sales" are calculated?

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:40 am

Cmon now Smirnoff i don't think that's a wum

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:49 am

Sorry GoWales I didn't realise that the Ospreys ticket incentive actually worked so that 1 season ticket holder got enough free tickets for a council estate - for some strange reason I thought it was something sensible...

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:55 am

I didn't say it was a council estate*. Putting words in my mouth Wink

*though it probably would be.

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:05 pm

Alyn Wynn Jones wrote:
"To get that silverware in May at the end of what had been an up and down season was a reward for everyone who dug in and fought hard for the region, on and off the pitch, and we should be all the better for that as a team this year. Some of the young boys have matured over the last year and now know what it takes to win the PRO12 which can only help moving forward. They've also tasted Europe and will know what to expect when that comes around later in the season. We're excited about where we are. We know there are big challenges ahead as there every year, but we are looking forward to them."

This is the kind of encouragement that backs up the fans commitment to the team, great sales this pre season, mega deals or not, shows the support is there and that we are happy with the way the club are moving forward.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:13 pm

maes, it's spin mate. Pure and simple.

It's not like he's going to come out and say:

"erm, our fans have been a bit rubbish actually and tend to buy the shirt and watch us on the telly (sometimes). Maybe we'll get a few more through the door and get a bit of atmosphere at last. The way the region has reported the sales is a bit laughable but I better stop there..."

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:03 pm

Adam D wrote:http://v2journal.com/pro12-season-preview-ospreys.html

Just noticed this link...

Cheers Adam, good read..

Diolch

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:20 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:Sorry GoWales I didn't realise that the Ospreys ticket incentive actually worked so that 1 season ticket holder got enough free tickets for a council estate - for some strange reason I thought it was something sensible...

Yea the council/housing estate thing was unnecessary but he still has a point

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:26 pm

gowales wrote:
Smirnoffpriest wrote:Sorry GoWales I didn't realise that the Ospreys ticket incentive actually worked so that 1 season ticket holder got enough free tickets for a council estate - for some strange reason I thought it was something sensible...

If so what was it?

The fans wanted the Ospreys management to form deals to encourage cheap tickets and get more to the stadium and they have done all they can possibly do.

Hopefully it will have a very positive effect, the team will improve again on their last season and we will all be clamouring to get to the games.

The effort made by the region has been received very well and that cant be negative.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:40 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
gowales wrote:

If so what was it?

The fans wanted the Ospreys management to form deals to encourage cheap tickets and get more to the stadium and they have done all they can possibly do.

Hopefully it will have a very positive effect, the team will improve again on their last season and we will all be clamouring to get to the games.

The effort made by the region has been received very well and that cant be negative.

We don't if it's going to be that much of a success yet in the long run, we'll have to see how it pans out.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:01 pm

My problem with Suga (besides his history of wind up posts) is that this post is so off the mark it's ridiculous.

The Ospreys are offering good season ticket deals, which everyone is clamouring for, and they have a big enough stadium to do these deals. They can bring in 2 children for free with a season ticket - same as most regions (think the Scarlets have to pay £15 a season) and I'd be suprised if English clubs/Irish/Scottish aren't doing the same sort of deals) - children can be encouraged to be fans for life, but also get the adult to spend lots of money on food, drink and merchandise.
They can also give a ticket to a friend/partner who hasn't been a season ticket holder - so getting people in the habit of going to regional games and developing a strong link with those potential fans.

This doesn't mean that every single person whose bought a season ticket with the Ospreys has automatically claimed 4 free season tickets.

And Suga's post totally misses the point that the players are talking about positives in the run up to the new season, the positives are that a record number of fans have got tickets for next season - meaning there should be an increase on attendances and more fans cheering on the side. All pretty positive, all pretty clear, and no spin there.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:05 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:My problem with Suga (besides his history of wind up posts) is that this post is so off the mark it's ridiculous.

The Ospreys are offering good season ticket deals, which everyone is clamouring for, and they have a big enough stadium to do these deals. They can bring in 2 children for free with a season ticket - same as most regions (think the Scarlets have to pay £15 a season) and I'd be suprised if English clubs/Irish/Scottish aren't doing the same sort of deals) - children can be encouraged to be fans for life, but also get the adult to spend lots of money on food, drink and merchandise.
They can also give a ticket to a friend/partner who hasn't been a season ticket holder - so getting people in the habit of going to regional games and developing a strong link with those potential fans.

This doesn't mean that every single person whose bought a season ticket with the Ospreys has automatically claimed 4 free season tickets.

And Suga's post totally misses the point that the players are talking about positives in the run up to the new season, the positives are that a record number of fans have got tickets for next season - meaning there should be an increase on attendances and more fans cheering on the side. All pretty positive, all pretty clear, and no spin there.

Agree on all counts...

Not sure where Go Wales persistent pessimism on this hails from on many of his posts. I have noticed that he often sees negativity where the rest see positives.

But how you can see all this hard work that has been so well received as being negative I haven't a clue.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:05 pm

I try to keep grounded. I think some fans are getting slightly ahead of themselves

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:14 pm

gowales wrote:I try to keep grounded. I think some fans are getting slightly ahead of themselves

"Getting ahead of themselves" by saying that lots of season tickets being sold and that we finished well and hope we start well next season...?

No, if we were all stating that we will win both the league and HECand expecting a 20000 gate every match we would. We aren't though are we.

I think all Ospreys fans should be very happy with the clubs initiative. There is little more they could do, they are practically giving away seats to encourage a crowd.

Please explain your point a bit more thoroughly and maybe your perspective will make some sense?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:26 pm

I'm not talking about this initiative.
Obviously that is probably the only thing the O's can do to try and tempt new customers and improve crowds. Nothing else has worked over the past few years, despite winning the Magners and having lots of starts in the ranks, bloody fickle lot aren't we!
I'm not sold though that this will help in the long run, we will see how it goes.
OK? thumbsup You seem to be confident, me not so much.

I was actually replying to your comment that you notice that i often see negativity where the rest see positives.

Well i think that some people are too positive! I tend not to put my expectations or hopes to high when it comes to the Ospreys, i've been disappointed a lot in the past. Obviously we are taking a different approach because of budget constraints/reality. I'd just like to see some NWG players brought in, only a fullback/winger/centre, the rest of the squad is good enough at the moment. I just really don't rate Walker or Morgan as you can probably tell from my posts!

I'm not confident that we will do that well in the HC this year, while a lot of O's fans and other Welsh fans are confident we will get through the group.
I think we will win the Pro 12 if not make the semi finals.
LV cup, who cares?

I guess i'm just not that optimistic about the O's future or Welsh regional rugby at the moment in general. I don't think everyone should be that confident either. But we are heading in the right direction, the question is where will that lead us?

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:15 pm

Im not having a pop at you mate but You seem to contradict your opinion.

You say "we are heading in the right direction", but that you're "just not that optimistic about the O's future", "not confident that we will do that well in the HC this year", but " think we will win the Pro 12 if not make the semi finals".

You obviously see the potential and the hard work, though you are unconvinced.

What do you think they could do better?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:34 pm

I don't think they could be doing much better tbh. We'll have to see how this season goes i guess.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:18 pm

With all the new youth rugby initiatives being announced at all levels it will raise the game at all the regions over the next few seasons.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next