The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Time to fight Prescott, Khan

+19
Rowley
Gordy
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Liam
School Project
eddyfightfan
Imperial Ghosty
manos de piedra
88Chris05
seanmichaels
BoxingFan88
azania
TopHat24/7
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Union Cane
Fists of Fury
Sugar Floyd Louis
Tony B Liar
Seanusarrilius
23 posters

Go down

Time to fight Prescott, Khan Empty Time to fight Prescott, Khan

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:52 pm

Sorry, but providing Prescott comes through his upcoming fight, it is time for Khan to work his way back by avenging a defeat or two.

Garcia has no reason to come to Britain yet, unless money is insane and I imigaine he can get just as good money fighting Judah or someone in US.

Khan cannot say he is way above the likes of Brook, Prescott et al, now.

Prescott flattened him, Khan needs a comeback win. Fight PRescott, put that L behind you. Then look toward Peterson, once his ban (whenever that gets sorted, what is happening with that?) is over.

Last edited by Seanusarrilius on Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Time to fight Prescott, Khan Empty Re: Time to fight Prescott, Khan

Post by Tony B Liar Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:55 pm

I believe that Khan will choose his 'return' fights wisely. Anyone that has a one punch knock out in his armour will be avoided at all costs
Tony B Liar
Tony B Liar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:00 pm

It's time for Khan to move up to 147 and face Brook.

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:00 pm

This again? Really?

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:01 pm

Good point Sean, Lennox avenged his losses and Khan needs to do the same.

I would say he needs some time away from the game first though, he effectively had a four month training camp for the Garcia fight and he must be sick of it.

He needs to stay fit, but get away from boxing and concentrate on re-building his shattered public image.

Perhaps a series of Strictly Come (Chicken) Dancing would fit the bill?
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:04 pm

For a start Prescotts power is seriously overrated. Apart from Khan most of his KOs have been against farmers in Columbia. I have never seen the need for a rematch.

I think Khan should take a break and not look to come back until early 2013. Then come back at 147lbs and get a couple of wins under his belt and look for a good fight about a year from now.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:07 pm

Ramadan starts in the next week or so so that's a break of sorts (depending how vigilantly he observes it, sounds quite tough!).

Understand the avenging losses bit but several years later, and to a club fighter, seems a step to far. As someone else said on another thread, get a new trainer and a couple of settling in fights to test new things then start pitching for bigger fights again.

Expect 147 within 2 yrs.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:11 pm

Prescott "lost" to McCloskey though, and I know it doesn't work like that but in theory it should be an easy night's work for Amir, and will get him on his way to "beaten every man he's ever faced" status like Lewis. Always the risk that Breidis will find the rubberlegs button again, but no fight is entirely without risk.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:12 pm

Dont see the point in a rematch personal. Professionally it does nothing. Avenging a loss is one thing. But this dude has beedn beaten by McKloskey for heaven sake.

Khan should take on a couple of non punchers to test out his new skills with a new trainer before stepping up again.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:13 pm

Terrible idea, I have a feeling he would get sparked again, he has proved he cannot take a punch..

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:16 pm

To be fair, being punched behind the jaw by a huge punch is worse than taking one on the button so to speak. Khan took a bigger punch on the jaw from Maidana but stood up to it.

He hasn't got the best punch resistance, but the KO punches that have knocked him out could have done the same to other more sterner fighters.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:21 pm

Perhaps, but would other sterner fighters be standing in range with their right arm down?
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:26 pm

Union Cane wrote:Perhaps, but would other sterner fighters be standing in range with their right arm down?

Carl Froch?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:27 pm

Froch has the chin to get away with it, Khan doesn't.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:33 pm

Nice sentiment, Sean, but it's sheer delusion if you think that Khan will be going anywhere near a puncher of any sort immediately after such a drastic set back! His team will steer him clear of the big hitters for another couple of fights and, to be frank, they do right in doing so. Khan's career isn't in tatters right now - two slip ups in a row against heavy-handed foes, and it may just be.

I stick by what I said the other night when it comes to Khan; he should stay at 140 lb for now and take on a couple of solid but certainly beatable opponents and use those fights to work on the new things which he clearly needs to introduce in to his game. Shafikov lookds to be one of the better European champions, so that's be a decent option, or perhaps even someone like Corley. Get some rounds in perfecting a higher guard at all times, maybe some counter-punching, constant moving behind a jab and the like. At twenty-five, there's no rush. Some might see it as a step down and a move backwards, but I'd prefer to see him spend a year or so correcting the faults which still obviously exist within his game and then go on to have another few years as a top world-level fighter than see him go straight back, gung-ho, in against the big names and risk having that aforementioned time at the top put on hild possibly for good.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:40 pm

Is Garcia even that heavy handed? He physically quite strong and has showed a decent chin but he hadnt struck me as a big puncher.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:51 pm

Looked to have a pretty good whack on him Saturday night.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:54 pm

I didn't think Garcia was all that heavy handed certainly not as big a puncher as maidana which is why I found the knockout so shocking.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:57 pm

I thought it was just a case of he landed a peach of a counter on a fighter with limited durability. He had never really had a top level knock out before that.

It still also took him the best part of a round to finish a legless Khan when he was hitting away at him.

Hes not feather fisted at all but Im not convinved hes that a big puncher either. I think he just landed a great shot that he had put everything into.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:04 pm

I'm assuming Khan was still the star of the show given his following and name? What terms do you think Garcia got given his profile and the fact that he was a late replacement?

I'm presuming Khan and GBP held the cards and as such, why the hell didn't GBP put a rematch clause in place? Especially given Khan's vulnerabilities.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:04 pm

to be fair to garcia i think he finished him well, khan was trying to find his feet but garcia was all over him.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:06 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:Terrible idea, I have a feeling he would get sparked again, he has proved he cannot take a punch..

Hmmmm

can't take a punch or takes too many. I suggest the latter

Not a terrible idea IMO. Avenge your defeats, both their stocks are very low.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:11 pm

eddyfightfan wrote:to be fair to garcia i think he finished him well, khan was trying to find his feet but garcia was all over him.

I agree I think Gacia was patient, took his time and didnt do anything rash. But in terms of his power, Khan lasted most of the round despite Garcia pushing him all over the ring and landing freely which makes me question if Garcia really is all that big a puncher. Khan was out on his feet even at the start of the fourth so I woulf have expected him to be pancaked by a big puncher given how all over the place he was. He managed to survive for quite a while though.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:13 pm

seanmichaels wrote:I'm assuming Khan was still the star of the show given his following and name? What terms do you think Garcia got given his profile and the fact that he was a late replacement?

I'm presuming Khan and GBP held the cards and as such, why the hell didn't GBP put a rematch clause in place? Especially given Khan's vulnerabilities.

I think Khan was the bigger name and probably earned more probably but technically Garcia was a champion and Khan the challenger (although the WBA reinstated him just prior to the fight). But when the fight was signed Khan had no titles and Garcia was a world champion so quite possibly they were not in a position to dictate. Especally coming off a loss.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:20 pm

Here's my two cents:

Khan could meet Matthew Hatton at a catch weight (144lb for example). Hatton may not be a marque fighter, but he has a decent name and good links with GBP. Put them on an undercard on a fight in Vegas or New York. Khan wouldn't have to overtrain or drain too much weight to reach 140 and it could be marketed well, as Hatton is durable.

Another good chance for Khan to build up his confidence is a fight with Morales. Yes, we all know he's past it, but he's got a lot of heart and the Mexicans still adore him (it also wouldn't be the first time a Mexican is sacrificed against Khan following a brutal loss!). Morales, again, can box and can be marketed as a risky fight for Khan, but one he can win.

Keep him within a certain level... His division is rich with talent AND some big names. Golden Boy can make these fights happen easily.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:29 pm

seanmichaels wrote:I'm assuming Khan was still the star of the show given his following and name? What terms do you think Garcia got given his profile and the fact that he was a late replacement?

Because Khan/GBP don't do rematches......made the same mistake with Peterson. Adds weight to the suggestion that they/Khan have a tendency to overlook perceived weaker/easier opponents.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:43 pm

Both guys were promoted by GBP though, so Garcia winning is not a bad outcome for them. They can push on with Garcias career now as he is unbeaten and marketable now. Garcia was also the champion when the fight was made so I dont think its neccessarily a fight GBP were pushed about having a rematch clause in or one where Garcia would feel obliged to insert one.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:47 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:

Because Khan/GBP don't do rematches......made the same mistake with Peterson. Adds weight to the suggestion that they/Khan have a tendency to overlook perceived weaker/easier opponents.

A rematch wouldn't sell anyway.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:08 pm

azania wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

A rematch wouldn't sell anyway.

Garcia and Peterson ones would.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:25 pm

Khan would sell against anyone in the US. He guarantees entertainment.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:26 pm

Pterson rematch would sell on cheat angle alone
Prescott would sell in UK on the basis he got flattened by him 4 years ago

Garcia, he should work up to again.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:45 pm

I agree a Peterson rematch would sell due to their fight and controversy.

The Garcia finish was very conclusive and many casual fans would assume the same ending. Yes those 4 rounds were pretty wild and fun to watch though, so perhaps.

You can sell any fight in the UK if there is a belt on the line. UK fans are ullible. Less so than Germans....just.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:27 pm

Khan was looking good in the 3 rounds leading up to the knockout. If he had a decent defence, I don't think he would have been hit by that shot. Make no mistake about it it was a great shot but still Khan was so open to it everytime, that's why Garcia put his head down and threw everything behind it as he knew Khan was completely open.

Khan has allot going for him, but when your chinny he desperately needs a trainer that can focus on defence which can allow him to continue his natural attacking game with fast hands and movement, held together with a solid defence and he can become a good fighter. I still think he's got way too arrogant and cocky and that's where his team should come and in and give him a bit of advice.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:33 pm

What I find strange is the way khan has gone backwards. Think back to when his tutilage under roach began - against both kotelnik & paulie khan fought behind a decent guard, worked a good quick jab and only came forward with the flurries when a good opportunity presented itself. He then got a bee in his bonnet about proving himself as a 'warrior' and an 'exciting fighter' - especially with the criticism he recieved in the build up to maidana. He went toe to toe with maidana and got away with it (just) because maidana landed his cleanest punches at a time when he was too exhausted to follow things through. Since then khan has got more and more reckless in the ring - no head movement, sloppy guard, moving in straight lines, no jab, flurries of shots that leave him wide open to counters.

Where is Roach while Amir is going backward? With manny or Chavez. Khans training camps often see him move from Bolton, to the phillipines, to LA, to Vegas, and if manny has a fight at a similar time he has to play second fiddle. Forget Prescott, that's history and he's proven since he's a club fighter who got lucky not a world level fighter. Khan needs a new trainer who puts him first and works on maximising his physical attributes (height, reach, speed) to protect his frailties rather than exposing them by getting him to be all out agressive.

Although I wouldn't write khan off I've said many times that he has inherent flaws that are difficult to train out of someone - mainly he has little defensive instincts. When the pressure is on he fights fire with fire, he backs up in straight lines or just pushes as he doesn't know what else to do. When he's down he gets straight back up and starts swinging - no thought of taking the 8 count on his knee, no survival sense. I believe that self preservation is instinctive and khan is lacking it - along with having a bit of a low ring IQ and a questionable chin/temple you have to ask has he really got all the tools required to go any further than he's already been? In these days of multiple belt holders he's as decent an alphabet strap holder as the next divisional top 7 or 8 guy, but p4p elite material or a serious threat to floyd mayweather he certainly is not.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:11 pm

Khan should retire. I have been saying for too long that this guy is a product of Sky marketing and badly overrated. He cant take a punch so I think hes in the wrong game! Laughable that he was being talked about to beat Mayweather. I made a tidy sum betting that he would get beat though so cant complain too much I suppose!

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:24 pm

Gordy wrote:Khan should retire. I have been saying for too long that this guy is a product of Sky marketing and badly overrated. He cant take a punch so I think hes in the wrong game! Laughable that he was being talked about to beat Mayweather. I made a tidy sum betting that he would get beat though so cant complain too much I suppose!

Why would you be compaining at all? Given what you just said.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:42 pm

Gordy wrote:Khan should retire. I have been saying for too long that this guy is a product of Sky marketing

There's a shock

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:25 pm

Bad idea imo.

Khan is the type of guy who'd drop his hands, leave his chin hanging and let Prescott take a free swing at it just to prove to his critics that he can take a shot.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:26 pm

Gordy wrote:Khan should retire. I have been saying for too long that this guy is a product of Sky marketing and badly overrated. He cant take a punch so I think hes in the wrong game! Laughable that he was being talked about to beat Mayweather. I made a tidy sum betting that he would get beat though so cant complain too much I suppose!

For personal financial gain you should be campaigning for him to continue.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:28 pm

Drop Freddie, fight Prescott, avenge a defeat and learn to defend. Simples.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:17 pm

azania wrote:

Thats true I suppose. But wait til you see, they will line up some no hoper for Khan in his next fight so he can look good winning and try and fool the public again into thinking Khan is the real deal. Its important to look carefully at the opponent in the other corner and not just take Skys word that they are a great fighter. The promoters and media men are crafty and look to hoodwink joe public.

This is what they did with Froch and Haye when they lost and its what they are doing with Price. When they fight the best guys they will lose mark my words and this is when you can cash in with the bookies if you know a thing or two!

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:24 pm

It's kind of similar to the Lennox Lewis situation. Was sold to the masses as the next great Heavyweight before the Johnny No-Marks such as McCall and Rahman showed him up for the glass-jawed hype job he was. Can't believe he carried on fighting after those defeats, Gordy!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:25 pm

The more I look st this punch the more it stands out as a slap right on the neck that jarred Khans senses, had Garcia turned his hand over it probably would have been no more than a glancing blow. Surprised no one has picked up on the slappy technique rom Garcia.

Best picture I can find but certainly looks like it's the inside of the glove that catches him flush.

http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/12594551/image/93659156-garcia-knocks-out-khan

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:27 pm

Gordy wrote:
azania wrote:

Thats true I suppose. But wait til you see, they will line up some no hoper for Khan in his next fight so he can look good winning and try and fool the public again into thinking Khan is the real deal. Its important to look carefully at the opponent in the other corner and not just take Skys word that they are a great fighter. The promoters and media men are crafty and look to hoodwink joe public.

This is what they did with Froch and Haye when they lost and its what they are doing with Price. When they fight the best guys they will lose mark my words and this is when you can cash in with the bookies if you know a thing or two!

Well you said he cant take a punch, so a no hoper should be able to KO him when he lands. I also suppose Maidana cant punch.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:35 pm

hampo171 wrote:The more I look st this punch the more it stands out as a slap right on the neck that jarred Khans senses, had Garcia turned his hand over it probably would have been no more than a glancing blow. Surprised no one has picked up on the slappy technique rom Garcia.

Said it many many times; I don't think khans chin is the problem. I think it's his wiring - its seems to me to be temple shots that always put him in trouble - when he's caught on the temple it scatters his senses, he doesn't know where he is and loses control of his legs. Against Prescott it was a relatively soft shot to the temple that got khan wobbling - this left him wide open for Prescott to land the big punches that would've flattened almost any lightweight - he couldn't miss. It was a temple shot against maidana that had khan in bother late on, and Garcia's punch caught khan on the neck & side of the head and we see the same physical reaction. I'm convinced he is wired in a way that makes temple shots an Achilles heel.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:39 pm

Everything has moved on since Prescott.....He's a journeyman fighter with a punch...

What's in it for Khan?????

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:09 pm

Gordy wrote:
azania wrote:

4/10

Copyright: Human Windmill, 2010.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down