The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prescott promised Khan fight

+10
zx1234
AdZacO
Liam_Main
azania
Imperial Ghosty
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
manos de piedra
eddyfightfan
compelling and rich
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
14 posters

Go down

Prescott promised Khan fight Empty Prescott promised Khan fight

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 19 Apr 2011, 5:10 pm

Found this on the Skysports website.

Breidis Prescott is still gunning for another crack at Amir Khan.
"I'll take care of business with Jargal and then wait and see if Khan's fight with Timothy Bradley materialises. He promised to fight me right after Bradley." Quotes of the week
The Colombian wants a second shot at the world champion after inflicting his only professional defeat with a stunning 54-second knockout in September 2008.
Prescott, who has since adopted the nickname 'The Khanqueror', says he has been promised another go at Khan, who came through a controversial technical stoppage against Paul McCloskey on Saturday.
The Bolton man is likely to face WBO and WBC champion Timothy Bradley in a July unification fight first.
But Prescott, who has lost two of his five fights since blowing him away at the MEN Arena and was touted as a possible opponent before McCloskey was confirmed, says they will meet again once he has come through his own April 22 date with Bayan Jargal.
"They showed me knocking Khan out in the highlights before the fight," he said.
"I'll take care of business with Jargal and then wait and see if Khan's fight with Timothy Bradley materialises.
"He promised to fight me right after Bradley."

I don't believe it Prescott has been hit and miss since Khan and Khan has moved on. Anyone actually see this being true?
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Prescott promised Khan fight Empty Re: Prescott promised Khan fight

Post by compelling and rich Tue 19 Apr 2011, 5:15 pm

looking at the way team khan have been dealing with things recently this will be far too much risk with little reward. it still wouldnt sell that great as presscott has been beaten and show to be a crued slugger. a poorer version of maidana.

if it were to happen expect khans improvemnet to show and run around the ring all night to a UD

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue 19 Apr 2011, 6:05 pm

not taking anything away from prescott but if he can't manage a win over mitchell then i think a rematch with khan will only end one way KO or TKO for khan. in which round depends on how focused khan comes into the fight. i could see the fight happening because it isnt going to be the toughest fight but looks good for khan if he takes his revenge. would be disaterous if he was to be KO'd again.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 19 Apr 2011, 6:19 pm

If Prescott could manage one semi deent win over someone ranked then the fight could easily happen and sell for all the wrong reason.

However it doesnt seem likely Khan will be back to the UK anytime soon and Im not sure the fight carries any weight in the U.S.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue 19 Apr 2011, 6:31 pm

good point, even if prescott got the win i doubt anyone in the US would want to see that fight, especially if he manages a win over bradley. also i think if he gets the win over bradley next then he will be stepping up in weight and probably fight someone like ortiz

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue 19 Apr 2011, 7:14 pm

Ortiz would destroy khan imo, far too big. Khan will go after judah if he beats Bradley. Prescott would be a huge risk, he may even be more powerful at LWW than he was at LW, but I like the idea of boxers beating the opponents that beat them. Prescott will always have that punch that can take your head off so khan will have to be alert for all 12 rounds. It would sell over here well and would help fix up relationships between khan and the british public and british broadcasters.

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 19 Apr 2011, 7:17 pm

Judah is a big hitter who is a much better boxer than Khan, if he dodges Prescott then he should stay well clear of Judah.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 19 Apr 2011, 7:42 pm

Khan dodge Prescott?

Prescott has been beaten by two domestic level lightweights since then.

The guy is looking for a payday and nothing more.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 19 Apr 2011, 7:46 pm

Dodge was the wrong word their should be no reason for this fight but to avenge a loss. Since then Khan has flourished and Prescott has struggled proving it was nothing more than a bad night for Khan.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 19 Apr 2011, 7:50 pm

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:Ortiz would destroy khan imo, far too big. Khan will go after judah if he beats Bradley. Prescott would be a huge risk, he may even be more powerful at LWW than he was at LW, but I like the idea of boxers beating the opponents that beat them. Prescott will always have that punch that can take your head off so khan will have to be alert for all 12 rounds. It would sell over here well and would help fix up relationships between khan and the british public and british broadcasters.

Ortiz was recently beaten by Maidana down at light welterweight, it's a more than winnable fight for Khan, in fact i'd make him a heavy favourite

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 19 Apr 2011, 7:57 pm

The Mighty Atom wrote:
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:Ortiz would destroy khan imo, far too big. Khan will go after judah if he beats Bradley. Prescott would be a huge risk, he may even be more powerful at LWW than he was at LW, but I like the idea of boxers beating the opponents that beat them. Prescott will always have that punch that can take your head off so khan will have to be alert for all 12 rounds. It would sell over here well and would help fix up relationships between khan and the british public and british broadcasters.

Ortiz was recently beaten by Maidana down at light welterweight, it's a more than winnable fight for Khan, in fact i'd make him a heavy favourite

I wouldn't put much stock in that loss. Ortiz was seriously weight drained in that fight. I'd say a fight with Khan would be a pick em with Ortiz slightly favoured to win.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue 19 Apr 2011, 8:02 pm

The Mighty Atom wrote:

Oriz was only 22 when he fought maidana. He was put in against a huge puncher with a weakish CV. When khan was 22 he was destroyed by Prescott in 50 seconds. If ortiz beat Prescott at LWW would that make ortiz favourite if he fought khan. Ortiz re-hydrated to 161 against berto which is huge. Khan may be quicker than berto at WW but I doubt he can hit as hard or take as many hits.

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 19 Apr 2011, 8:06 pm

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:
The Mighty Atom wrote:

Oriz was only 22 when he fought maidana. He was put in against a huge puncher with a weakish CV. When khan was 22 he was destroyed by Prescott in 50 seconds. If ortiz beat Prescott at LWW would that make ortiz favourite if he fought khan. Ortiz re-hydrated to 161 against berto which is huge. Khan may be quicker than berto at WW but I doubt he can hit as hard or take as many hits.

Its not that simple. Khan got caught cold by a big puncher. It happens. Also their respective ages are of no significance. I'd still favour Ortiz as I believe he is a better all round fighter.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 19 Apr 2011, 8:09 pm

Looking at how Ortiz fights and applies pressure, not to mention how much the added weight at 147 seems to help him I would strongly favour him over Khan.

I think Ortiz will always struggle against good counter punchers. A guy like Martinez would flatten him I think.

But hes all wrong for Khan who cant counter punch well and for me Ortiz is too good at applying pressure and too strong at 147 for Khan.

I would like to see Khan really develop his counter punching and jab because without it I think hes always going to struggle with pressure fighters.

Last edited by manos de piedra on Tue 19 Apr 2011, 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue 19 Apr 2011, 8:12 pm

azania wrote:
The Mighty Atom wrote:

Its not that simple. Khan got caught cold by a big puncher. It happens. Also their respective ages are of no significance. I'd still favour Ortiz as I believe he is a better all round fighter.

I didn't mean that mate, I was just trying to make the point that the whole maidana beat ortiz, khan beat maidana therefore khan beats ortiz comment means nothing. Ortiz is better all round and I don't see how khan keeps him off without being KOed unless he brings alot more power as he goes up to welter.

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Tue 19 Apr 2011, 8:14 pm

If Khan loses to Bradley maybe but If Khan wins why would he need to fight Prescott.Prescott was exposed by Kevin Mitchell Prescott just hits hard thats it no real skills or talent.The only reason I can see Khan taking this fight is too overcome his first defeat.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 19 Apr 2011, 8:31 pm

azania wrote:
The Mighty Atom wrote:

I didn't mean that mate, I was just trying to make the point that the whole maidana beat ortiz, khan beat maidana therefore khan beats ortiz comment means nothing. Ortiz is better all round and I don't see how khan keeps him off without being KOed unless he brings alot more power as he goes up to welter.

My apologies. I agree. As has been said by manos, Ortiz's style is all wrong for Khan imo.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 20 Apr 2011, 12:49 am

i think khan would actually do well against ortiz, i think he would need to improve his accuracy a little and his power quite a bit to actually get the win though.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Wed 20 Apr 2011, 1:02 am

eddyfightfan wrote:i think khan would actually do well against ortiz, i think he would need to improve his accuracy a little and his power quite a bit to actually get the win though.

Khan wastes so many punches at the moment thats how he's getting tired in the later rounds doesn't matter how well conditioned you are your going to get tired in the later rounds if you throw alot of punches.Khan needs to pick his spots before combinations not just throwing them at any given moment.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Wed 20 Apr 2011, 1:20 am

Actually a can just see Prescott losing in his next fight and still be gunning to fight Khan just for a payday.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by AdZacO Wed 20 Apr 2011, 8:34 am

Ortiz is an al round better boxer? Really don't agree with that. Maybe khan would struggle with his size.

On the Prescott, would only be a point if Prescott wins some good fights, and Khan hasnt move up by then.

AdZacO

Back to top Go down

Post by zx1234 Wed 20 Apr 2011, 10:23 am

Ortiz is one of my favourite boxers, but you can't really discount khan against him, people can point to the fact that ortiz is much weaker at light welter which i agree with, but i think khan's peak weight might be welter and if you look at the peterson fight and berto fights, the scorecards were closer than the fight seemed as when ortiz wins rounds he usually does it clearly but in the close rounds, ortiz tends to lose the round.

For me, ortiz does beat khan at welter but you can't completely rule out a khan win by doing a leonard hagler job on him.

zx1234

http://www.footballbetting365.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Wed 20 Apr 2011, 10:38 am

I could see Khan taking the Prescott fight as a gimme/show fight if he were to beat Bradley and take the undisputed LWW crown. Bradley will be a rough fight for him and I wouldn't mind it if Khan took a less than huge fight against Prescott before taking on an Ortiz, Judah, or even a Mayweather. There would be a good back story for the fight and it would be quite poetic for him to erase his only loss while sitting at the top of the LWW pile - he'd be due a huge fight after that.

Prescott might be a big hitter but I don't see a repeat of their last fight happening. His style is all wrong for beating Khan. He swings from a distance, which Khan is far better at defending against now. Only really solid inside fighters or quality counter punches will trouble Khan. He'll destroy most (if not all) people that give him his space.

Ortiz is a different matter. He might not be as strong as Maidana punch wise (he's not too far off though), but he's physically imposing, more mobile, has a better boxing brain, and, most importantly, has some seriously accurate short and inside punches. Sure Khan could rack up points because Victor is a bit of a non-jabber, but given the way Ortiz pressurises on the inside, Khan would be in a constant state of panic about being caught on the ropes (where he's terrible at defending himself). Victor is super accurate and I'd fancy that he could take Khan out at any second of any round.

Bradley-Khan is a toss up as far as I'm concerned. Let Khan worry about that first of all.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by punch drunk Wed 20 Apr 2011, 11:13 am

i only see a prescott fight if khan were to lose to bradley in a one sided fight, or if prescott were to hold a major belt

punch drunk

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Wed 20 Apr 2011, 11:26 am

If Khan fights Ortiz - he'd better learn to deal with uppercuts. Khan doesn't adapt much. At all. Ortiz keeps working from outside in.

He won me over as a huge fan with his performance against Berto. Especially as when Berto was trying to clinch, Ortiz was still trying to punch him - a lovely bit of work when Berto didn't clinch well and Ortiz worked 4/5 shots to the body. None of them devastatingly hard - but I doubt Berto enjoyed them all the same. Khan wouldn't enjoy that. Nor would Khan enjoy the right uppercut that Ortiz landed at will against Berto.

Ortiz does leave himself open at times - but his chin is better than Khans. Khans inside defence isn't great and hasn't improved much (*yet*). I say yet because if the average fan can see it - Roach certainly can and will be working on it.

Dangerous fight for Khan.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 20 Apr 2011, 12:01 pm

manos de piedra wrote:Looking at how Ortiz fights and applies pressure, not to mention how much the added weight at 147 seems to help him I would strongly favour him over Khan.

I think Ortiz will always struggle against good counter punchers. A guy like Martinez would flatten him I think.

But hes all wrong for Khan who cant counter punch well and for me Ortiz is too good at applying pressure and too strong at 147 for Khan.

I would like to see Khan really develop his counter punching and jab because without it I think hes always going to struggle with pressure fighters.

?
Confused.commed a little by that develop his jab comment... Khan has an awesome jab!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 20 Apr 2011, 12:05 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:
manos de piedra wrote:Looking at how Ortiz fights and applies pressure, not to mention how much the added weight at 147 seems to help him I would strongly favour him over Khan.

?
Confused.commed a little by that develop his jab comment... Khan has an awesome jab!

I dont think his jab is that effective at all. He doesnt use a great deal considering hes exclusively an outside fighter. He maintains a healthy distance and then rushes is throwing little bursts of punches before retreating out again. Its not a controlling a jab that he uses to box at range.

His range fighting is based on his feet, not his hands.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by punch drunk Wed 20 Apr 2011, 12:17 pm

he used his jab brilliantly against Paulie, but i dont think it has much power behind it

punch drunk

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 20 Apr 2011, 12:35 pm

punch drunk wrote:he used his jab brilliantly against Paulie, but i dont think it has much power behind it

He used it ok against a non puncher, non pressure fighter where he knew he didnt have to be miles away to avoid trouble.

But his tactic in general is to stay so far away from his opponent that hes not even in range to jab.

Maidana is a much more relevant fight to a potential fight with Ortiz and for pressure fighters in general and I dont think Khans jab is particularly well developed, largely because its not his style to use it. But if he could develop it would be a useful if not essential tool to use against fighters who are good at closing him down.

If you cant counter punch, fight on the inside or jab at distance then you will be under enormous pressure against these types of fighters.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down