The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Khan vs Prescott this year?

+11
BoxingFan88
azania
AlexHuckerby
hampo17
huw
Adam D
Lance
The Galveston Giant
coxy0001
Fists of Fury
Valero's Conscience
15 posters

Go down

Khan vs Prescott this year? Empty Khan vs Prescott this year?

Post by Valero's Conscience Thu 5 Jan 2012 - 9:33

De La Hoya has come out saying he's keen on this fight in the UK this year and obviously Prescott is up for the fight.

The fight would sell IMO so for financial reasons it makes sense. Also, Khan 'should' win this comfortably so protects GBP's asset for future income.

If Khan can't get Peterson straight away I don't think it's a terrible match up as at least Khan can avenge one of his losses and probably needs a warm up fight before he fights better calibre fighters again.

Prescott has never been anything other than average and is coming off of 2 straight losses so Khan will certainly not boost his CV but you can't knock a fighter avenging a loss.

I wouldn't have liked the fight if Khan was champ as Prescott isn't a worthy opponent for a title fight but Khan isn't a champ anymore.

GBP want to rebuild Khan and if he ends 2012 with avenging his 2 only losses, i'm sure both Khan and GDP will see 2013 as a fresh start to bigger things.

Would you be for or against a Prescott rematch?

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Khan vs Prescott this year? Empty Re: Khan vs Prescott this year?

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 5 Jan 2012 - 9:35

Totally against, Prescott has lost to anyone with an ounce of ability since Khan. Slightly unlucky against McCloskey, where I thought he deserved the nod, just, but other than that he is still living on catching Khan cold once.

The guy is a waste of time and just some charlatan looking for a pay day. Forget him, nobody needs to see Khan vs Prescott 2, and to be honest Amir has far more important things to bother with, such as winning back his titles, not dilly-dallying around with some two bit slugger.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Thu 5 Jan 2012 - 9:41

I know what you mean fists and I don't rate Prescott but I think Khan maybe needs a warm up fight before fighting someone like Peterson again or Bradley etc so if he wants an easy warm up fight (and GDP don't want to suffer another loss soon) and I recommend practise in-fighting then he might as well do so against a lower level fighter who he'll at least get motivated for.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 5 Jan 2012 - 9:44

Not sure I agree with him needing a warmup, he has fought at a consistently high level over the last couple of years, and has been active enough (by todays standards). Peterson is good but not great, work on one or two things in training then get back in there and beat him convincingly like he should have done first time out.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Thu 5 Jan 2012 - 9:49

Hasn't Prescott lost 4-3 in his last 7?!

Why on earth do people think this will sell?!?!? It does zero for Khan, people would fully expect him to breeze past him and to be honest it's about time we all stopped yapping about Prescott, he got lucky with one punch and has been outboxed, outfought and outeverything in every meaningful fight then against some seriously crappy opposition on occasions.

He needs to fight a contender as that's the level he should be aiming at, not some ruddy journeyman

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Thu 5 Jan 2012 - 10:04

I'm sure it will sell Coxy, fights in the UK seem to sell fairly well for a big name regardless of their opponent i.e. Calzaghe, Hatton, Haye etc and they'll market the fight based on what happened last time and both coming off losses etc.

I wouldn't pay for the fight as I think it'll be completely one sided but reckon both Khan and GDP will want the fight if they can't get Peterson next.

If he can't get Peterson or Bradley the only other fight i'd like to see him in at 140ibs is a Maidana rematch but I can't see Khan wanting as he was forced into it last time and he was so nearly KO'd.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 5 Jan 2012 - 10:12

I was looking at Prescott's record on boxrec recently and saw he was going by the alias "Khanqueror". I guess it would be good for Khan's pride to take the fight, but career wise it's definitely a step back for him.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 5 Jan 2012 - 10:57

Usually a fighter will want to avenge a defeat once they rise above it but that fight changed the way Khan fights for good. Running about the ring on chicken legs everytime you get tagged doesn't mean you have a good chin. I had said if Prescott had managed to hang on in his last fight this would have been made, but it wouldn't and never will be made unless Prescott drops a few levels.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Thu 5 Jan 2012 - 12:12

rubbish fight. but i do think it will be easily sold to casual fans

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 5 Jan 2012 - 12:46

Khan just tweeted this if your interested (maybe should have gone on the peterson thread but hey ho);

i done right and wrong, very close fight Peterson fought great but i still believe i won by 1 or 2 rounds, i aint whining or complaing

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Thu 5 Jan 2012 - 13:00

I think it would still be a risk for Khan.

Khan is miles ahead on ability and should win comfortably. Yet I can't help but think he would try to be all macho and take a few shots to show he can (as he seems to have done in his recent fights) which could cause him trouble.

Just don't think he'd want to out box him, rather beat him up a little and I don't think that would end well.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Thu 5 Jan 2012 - 13:16

I'm not so sure Huw, recent opponents of Prescott have said that his power isn't there after 3 rounds, if Roach can get it in to Khans head that if uses hit and move tactics for 4 or 5 rounds, Prescott won't be as much as a threat.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 5 Jan 2012 - 13:20

Doesn't deserve a shot, simple as. If he fought and beat someone just under Khans level then I would say yes, as of this moment he hasn't so no.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Thu 5 Jan 2012 - 13:24

hampo171 wrote:I'm not so sure Huw, recent opponents of Prescott have said that his power isn't there after 3 rounds, if Roach can get it in to Khans head that if uses hit and move tactics for 4 or 5 rounds, Prescott won't be as much as a threat.

Indeed, he should beat him easily and if he were to follow instructions it would be comprehensive.

I like Khan and support him more than most but he does seem to be out to prove he is able to take a punch at the moment. Don't think he'd be able to box for the first few rounds without feeling a need to prove himself - he may even do just that and take the punches well.

Not sure if it's a lack of discipline or if he is genuinly hurt by the glass chin comments, may even be that he is just fighter better opposition who are able to catch him easier, but the bravado thing he does now is just stupidity and I hope Roach gets it out of him.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 5 Jan 2012 - 13:24

huw wrote:I think it would still be a risk for Khan.

Khan is miles ahead on ability and should win comfortably. Yet I can't help but think he would try to be all macho and take a few shots to show he can (as he seems to have done in his recent fights) which could cause him trouble.

Just don't think he'd want to out box him, rather beat him up a little and I don't think that would end well.

I dont think any boxers stands there and wants to take shots to prove anything. Boxers are trained to evade shots. Khan just isn't very good at it.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Thu 5 Jan 2012 - 13:26

AlexHuckerby wrote:Doesn't deserve a shot, simple as. If he fought and beat someone just under Khans level then I would say yes, as of this moment he hasn't so no.

He has beat someone at Khans level though.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 5 Jan 2012 - 13:27

I thought his impressive display against the unbeaten Mike Alvarado was enough, if he wasn't stopped late he would have took a decision which would have suprised many.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Thu 5 Jan 2012 - 13:28

azania wrote:

I dont think any boxers stands there and wants to take shots to prove anything. Boxers are trained to evade shots. Khan just isn't very good at it.

Some boxers however thrive on their 'macho' reputations and 'iron chins'.

You may be right about Khan just not being able to avoid the shots, but once hit he currently seems to stick his chin out to be hit again, sometimes even waving them towards him.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 5 Jan 2012 - 13:33

huw wrote:
azania wrote:

You may be right about Khan just not being able to avoid the shots, but once hit he currently seems to stick his chin out to be hit again, sometimes even waving them towards him.

Khan is an incredibly skilled boxer. Unfortunately he seems to lack in-ring intelligence and fails to utilise his skills as soon as he gets clocked. Everything gows out of the window and he waves them on. He get's into dog fights when there's no need to if he utilises his skills.

A change of trainer is in order. And I reckon he'll leave roach when he loses again (and he will).

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 5 Jan 2012 - 13:42

His legs won't allow him to box as normal when he gets tagged, doesn't need to be sticking his tongue out and waving his hands in the air though.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 5 Jan 2012 - 13:46

Call me crazy but I think Khan (Based on his recent outings) has a massive chance of losing that fight.

I bet you he will stick his chin out one too many times and get flattened trying to prove a point.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Thu 5 Jan 2012 - 13:51

huw wrote:
azania wrote:

dont argue with azania. he knows exactly what EVERY boxer wants

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 5 Jan 2012 - 13:53

huw wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:Doesn't deserve a shot, simple as. If he fought and beat someone just under Khans level then I would say yes, as of this moment he hasn't so no.

He has beat someone at Khans level though.

Who has Prescott beaten at Khans level - the level he is at now bearing in mind Khan is amillion times better than the Khan that was shocked by Prescott if Khan was going to be your smartass answer. boxing

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 5 Jan 2012 - 14:04

Lance wrote:
huw wrote:
azania wrote:

Was that neccessary?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 5 Jan 2012 - 14:06

Following on from my quote from Khans twitter earlier about not being a whinger, he has spent the last few hours posting pictures of the judges from the Peterson fight looking elsewhere!

https://twitter.com/#!/AmirKingKhan

Not bitter at all!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Thu 5 Jan 2012 - 14:16

azania wrote:
Lance wrote:
huw wrote:
azania wrote:

Was that neccessary?

all you do is summarise all boxers and any boxer. there are 1000s of different guys boxing. who are you to say what they all think and do. some might box for glory, some might like being hit, some might be insane, some might tell their promoter what to do. some might not be as good as some old boxers. just lay off a bit with..well boxers dont do that, they do this.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 5 Jan 2012 - 14:21

Adam D wrote:Following on from my quote from Khans twitter earlier about not being a whinger, he has spent the last few hours posting pictures of the judges from the Peterson fight looking elsewhere!

https://twitter.com/#!/AmirKingKhan

Not bitter at all!

Ah mate, it destroys my brain even reading about him still going on about it. I always thought that in any sport whilst an appeal is pending, the person(s) involved where to keep there mouth(s) shut until a decision had been reached. If Khan wants to start this nonsense about the judge then his stupid appeal should be throw out for slander, because he is basically singling out an official and idenifying him to the public as well as claiming he can't do his job properly. I thought he couldn't get any lower. Spoilt brat he is.

Anyway to the point in question, I think a Prescott fight is a tough fight for anyone in the division. OK he gases towards the end, but he has shown that it takes a fair bit to make it through the first 6 rounds.

Prescotts last 2 fights, even though he lost them, he wasnt embarrased. The guy literally fights until he almost passes out and I think thats a good thing. I dont see the big problem with some people when it comes to him.

Khan isnt a title holder anymore, so the "whats he done to get a shot" comments have no substance.

Khan needs a comeback and I think Prescott has enough in the tank in the early rounds of his fights to give anyone trouble.

I would watch this fight no problem
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 5 Jan 2012 - 14:23

I think the new year festivities are affecting your ability to read and comprehension ability. I didn't say I know how all boxers think or whatever. My exact quote incase it excaped your addled mind was:
I dont think any boxers stands there and wants to take shots to prove anything.

Now where on that does it say that I know how ALL boxers think?

I suggest you have a coffee or maybe some gatorade. Hell, you need something.

Now stop personalising the thread and move on.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 5 Jan 2012 - 14:25

azania wrote:I think the new year festivities are affecting your ability to read and comprehension ability. I didn't say I know how all boxers think or whatever. My exact quote incase it excaped your addled mind was:

Now stop personalising the thread and move on. Understood?

Easy boys, easy boys, calm down calm down warning
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Thu 5 Jan 2012 - 14:27

azania wrote:I think the new year festivities are affecting your ability to read and comprehension ability. I didn't say I know how all boxers think or whatever. My exact quote incase it excaped your addled mind was:

lets be clear..you are frustrating a lot of posters recently with your constant rebuttal of their point, based on your generalised knowledge of what boxers strive to achieve in their career. change the record, you are boring

Last edited by Lance on Thu 5 Jan 2012 - 14:29; edited 1 time in total

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 5 Jan 2012 - 14:28

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:

Easy boys, easy boys, calm down calm down warning

I'm calm........always Whistle

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 5 Jan 2012 - 14:31

Lance wrote:

lets be clear..you are frustrating a lot of posters recently with your constand rebuttal of their point, based on your generalised knowledge of what boxers strive to achieve in their career. change the record, you are boring

There's a simple solution to that. Its called the foe option. Learn to use it. Now belt up boy and stop ruining the thread.

Incredible that rebutting a point (called having an opinion) is annoying. I thought it was debate. Each boxer is specific in what their career aims are. But the general rule of thumb for any pro boxer is that they fight for money. The more the better. Another general rule is that promoters will milk them for every thing they can. It may be generalisation to you, but it is actually generally correct based on historical, emperical evidence.

have a nice day and please find the foe option and use it.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Thu 5 Jan 2012 - 14:38

azania wrote:
Lance wrote:

lets be clear..you are frustrating a lot of posters recently with your constand rebuttal of their point, based on your generalised knowledge of what boxers strive to achieve in their career. change the record, you are boring

There's a simple solution to that. Its called the foe option. Learn to use it. Now belt up boy and stop ruining the thread.

Incredible that rebutting a point (called having an opinion) is annoying. I thought it was debate. Each boxer is specific in what their career aims are. But the general rule of thumb for any pro boxer is that they fight for money. The more the better. Another general rule is that promoters will milk them for every thing they can. It may be generalisation to you, but it is actually generally correct based on historical, emperical evidence.

have a nice day and please find the foe option and use it.

no need mate. ive made a simple point to you about how your posts can be annoying to your fellow posters at times. i know im not the only one to single you out for criticism recently. its fine by me if you chose to ignore it, it takes a lot more than that to be my foe.
anyway if mccloskey is a credible opponent then so is prescott. its not like khan has gone from one top fighter to the next, hes had plenty of room for a 'homecoming' against prescott if he fancied the fight.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Thu 5 Jan 2012 - 15:00

we will never know if it will be one sided until we see it though. i found marquez at 8/1 to beat manny recently. everywhere i read now, says style wise marquez was always gonna be tough for manny, but before the fight, most people said manny had moved on and marquez had struggled recently, meaning a one sided fight. just maybe prescott has the tools to be khans bogeyman.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 5 Jan 2012 - 15:01

alma wrote:I'm not sure there's much point to Khan v Prescott. It would be embarassingly one-sided. One has moved on considerably and the other is still trading off his one moment of glory. After all, I'm not sure many people would want to see Manny Pacquiao v Medgoen Singsurat again.....

But there still is the question of what would happen if Prescott got up close and took Khan out of his comfort zone as Khan is exactly a world beater when this plan is put on him.

Khan has shown he lacks intelligence up close and can only run for his life or hold.

Prescott does have a good 6 rounds of damage he can inflict on any light welter.

This notion of Khan being on this elite level doesn't really wash with me. He is fighting in America, but the last 3 pressure fighters he has fought have been Prescott, Maidana and Peterson (not normally a Pressure fighter but still) and Khan is currently 2 losses and 1 win in that category and the win was by the skin of his teeth.

So how the assumtion of an embarrasing defeat for Prescott can be declared on the basis of that is baffling
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 5 Jan 2012 - 15:08

And I will jump on Lance's comment.

For all we know, Prescott could be all wrong for Khan, mostly mentally after being sparked by him.

Khan got caught coming in and the "speed" arguement can't be used because its not like he was a snail at lightweight, be was still quick as a bullet.

He got caught on the temple and thats when things went downhill.

Maidana and Peterson didn't find it too hard to shake Khan's boots since then so he is still vunerable in my eyes and I think anyone with good power still has a chance against Khan, his defence hasn't improved that much. His opposition has flattered him to say the least.

He didn't have to be too defensive minded against Paulie, McCloskey or Judah. The others made him look terrible and wreckless....just like the Prescott days.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Thu 5 Jan 2012 - 15:28

Is Prescott really a pressure fighter in the same way that Maidana and Peterson are or where against Khan? When I've seen Prescott in his last few fights, he uses the jab and actually tries to set up the big bombs, he doesn't really get in close, like Peterson did.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Thu 5 Jan 2012 - 15:48

Am totally FOR this fight happening. It would do Khan no harm at all in avenging this spectacular loss before he starts up against Petersen again. All the naysayers enjoy battering Khan for his 54 second humilaiation but if he could avenge this loss and in style then he would bury those bad memories forever and the taunts forever.

Think what we would be saying of Lennox if he had somehow won back his belts by NOT spectacularly avenging his defeat of Rahman? Lewis needed that win badly even though everyone knew he was way better than Rahman he still had to win it back. The way he demolished Rahman add a very silky gloss to his CV in the same way it would be a nice finsih to Khan's if he got back the Prescott win.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 5 Jan 2012 - 16:04

hampo171 wrote:Is Prescott really a pressure fighter in the same way that Maidana and Peterson are or where against Khan? When I've seen Prescott in his last few fights, he uses the jab and actually tries to set up the big bombs, he doesn't really get in close, like Peterson did.

He may not be a pressure fighter in the sense of Maidana etc, but his last lot of fights have been wars. Even the McCloskey one was a bit of a mad one, plenty of bloodshed. The last one where he got stopped was a corker.

He can put on good pressure when its required.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu 5 Jan 2012 - 16:15

Super D Boon wrote:Am totally FOR this fight happening. It would do Khan no harm at all in avenging this spectacular loss before he starts up against Petersen again. All the naysayers enjoy battering Khan for his 54 second humilaiation but if he could avenge this loss and in style then he would bury those bad memories forever and the taunts forever.

Think what we would be saying of Lennox if he had somehow won back his belts by NOT spectacularly avenging his defeat of Rahman? Lewis needed that win badly even though everyone knew he was way better than Rahman he still had to win it back. The way he demolished Rahman add a very silky gloss to his CV in the same way it would be a nice finsih to Khan's if he got back the Prescott win.

Its not really the same situation with Lewis v Rahman. Rahman was the reigning world champion when Lewis rematched him. Prescott has been pretty much exposed in terms of world level. Hes a Euro level or fringe world level fighter at best and has lost most of his fights since his win over Khan.

Lewis needed to rematch Rahman to get his belts back but had Rahman lost his titles to someone else and proceeded to fade off the world scene Im not sure Lewis would have been bothered rematching him a few years later if there were better options out there. I

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Thu 5 Jan 2012 - 16:27

Khan is overrated tbh I would not rule out Prescott winning again at the moment. Would I like to see this fight? Maybe but I would prefer to see Khan against Brook or Bradley both these guys would beat him imo.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 5 Jan 2012 - 16:28

well imo he is quality lol
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Thu 5 Jan 2012 - 17:08

manos de piedra wrote:
Super D Boon wrote:Am totally FOR this fight happening. It would do Khan no harm at all in avenging this spectacular loss before he starts up against Petersen again. All the naysayers enjoy battering Khan for his 54 second humilaiation but if he could avenge this loss and in style then he would bury those bad memories forever and the taunts forever.

Its not really the same situation with Lewis v Rahman. Rahman was the reigning world champion when Lewis rematched him. Prescott has been pretty much exposed in terms of world level. Hes a Euro level or fringe world level fighter at best and has lost most of his fights since his win over Khan.

Lewis needed to rematch Rahman to get his belts back but had Rahman lost his titles to someone else and proceeded to fade off the world scene Im not sure Lewis would have been bothered rematching him a few years later if there were better options out there. I

I know it's not the same situation but the point is Lewis' win against Rahman is a very good one, one of his most notable victories, not because Rahamn was particularly good but because of how spectacular the victory was and how he elimintaed any doubts that a lesser fighter was somehow a bogeyman. This win gave Lewis a lot of kudos in America where a lot of Americans at the time genuinely believed, (or wanted to believe) that one of their own had Lewis' number. Add this to all the nonsense and windups Lewis had to endure from Rahamn before the second fight then I really think dusting Rahman the way he did gave Lewis a hell of a boost.

I therefore can't help thinking if Khan could do the same to Prescott then this will do him a heck of a lot of good too. The fact that Prescott isn't that good is something of an irrelevance under the circumstances.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down