The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2001 British Open won by David Duval

+10
pedro
kwinigolfer
Tony B Liar
Lairdy
hend085
beninho
Tinmar
dynamark
Fader
monty junior
14 posters

Go down

2001 British Open won by David Duval Empty 2001 British Open won by David Duval

Post by monty junior Wed 18 Jul 2012, 9:17 am

Hey guys just wanted to have a bit of a throwback to the last time the Open was at Royal Lytham. It was my first Open that i watched and it was a classic, with Monty leading for much of it, Woosie right in contention until that bad mistake by his caddie and ultimately David Duval's amazing run through the field at the weekend to win his first and only major. Who would have thought that at the age of only 29 it would be Duval's last title of his career as it seemed as if he was the outstanding player to challenge Woods. I'm sure it's been done to death but what really happened to him after? i know he contended at the US Open in 2009 but except that i can't think of anything he has done since which is extremely sad for such a talented player. To me when i did see him he looked a bit out of shape but surely fitness can't cost you that amount? and do you guys think he can ever win again?

Look forward to your replies.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

2001 British Open won by David Duval Empty Re: 2001 British Open won by David Duval

Post by Fader Wed 18 Jul 2012, 9:30 am

He certainly does look like he eats nothing but lard pies. Don't really know much about him but often hear his name in conversations at the club.

I also think its surprising what someone's fitness can do to them, if you've never been overweight in the past but are now that has to severely change the way you play the game, as different that would effect their centre of gravity and changing the mass around which they turn. I can't claim to know a great deal about the swing other than my own, but I'm a fitness nut and know a lot about the body and how it functions so those are my own conclusions on the changing shape of the body and how it could affect someone's swing.

That's said if a players always been bigger then losing weight could have the same adverse affect.

Fader

Back to top Go down

2001 British Open won by David Duval Empty Re: 2001 British Open won by David Duval

Post by dynamark Wed 18 Jul 2012, 9:50 am

One thing I do remember was his fantastic acceptance speech.
Bit of an Ian Porterfield moment though for those who can recall.Got a feeling he had some problem with balance or eyesight?

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Wed 18 Jul 2012, 9:57 am

It just seems amazing if it is down to his physique that some time in the last 11 year's he hasn't buckeld down and really made a run at golf again. He certainly had the talent, he won 13 on the PGA tour from 97-2000,shot a 59 to win by one and never won again. Bizarre, made it is an eyesight problem, has to be more than just weight fluctuations to effect his performances so much.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinmar Wed 18 Jul 2012, 9:57 am

I recently read an interview with David Duval in Golf World. He actually seems to be very happy now. He's married and is apparently more content with life than when he was at the top of the golfing world.

When he was about 10, his older brother was diagnosed with cancer and David had to donate bone marrow to him for a transplant. Unfortunately, his brother didn't make it. Shortly afterwards his parents marriage broke up and his father moved out. I think his mother also developed a drink problem. David then completely dedicated himself to golf and we all know where he got to in the game.

He reached the pinnacle by winning the Open but it seems that, rather than making him happier, he just thought "is this all there is?" So he took a step back and decided that he didn't want golf to be the most important thing in his life anymore. He says he still loves playing the game but it would appear that he is definitely nowhere near as driven as he was back then.

Tinmar

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 18 Jul 2012, 10:12 am

He just decided to enjoy his life a bit more, and fair play to him. I suppose after a while golf just becomes a job, and everyone would love to earn enough money to not have to work as hard as they do.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Wed 18 Jul 2012, 10:48 am

from anything ive ever read about him i get the impression he battles the inner demons quite a bit. i dont buy the whole idea of it just being a dedication issue. he still plays a pretty full schedule, goes to Qualifying school, plays in monday qualifying when he needs to. he wouldnt do all this if he wasnt still dedicated to the game. he's very very different to someone like John Daley for instance.
I wouldnt be surprised if he was back in the winner circle at some stage though doubt he will ever be in the top 10 or anything like that.

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Wed 18 Jul 2012, 11:06 am

I think it should be mentioned that he had a lot of back troubles and other injuries, as well as suffering from vertigo. So whilst there was this feeling of anti-climax when he won a major I think his downturn was more down to injuries.

With his injuries and its effects on his swing he developed a nasty hook, shut face player, and a fear of going left off tee.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony B Liar Wed 18 Jul 2012, 12:34 pm

Always on of my favourite players.
His behaviour after America's defeat in the Ryder Cup at the Belfry a few years ago was fantastic. It did nt matter that his team had lost he joined the victorious European team for the all night drinking celebrations.

Good looking bugger too! (I'm told I look like him when wearing my wrap arounds)
Tony B Liar
Tony B Liar

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 18 Jul 2012, 12:41 pm

When Westwood used to post on 606 he was very complimentary of Duval, "Top man", etc, etc.

Not sure we'll ever know ALL the reasons for his departure from the scene, but he gives very good interviews these days, very much a changed man from the stoic individual of the late nineties.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 19 Jul 2012, 8:54 am

quote from a beeb article -
If the answer wasn't already sitting in front of us, Duval was asked whether he had changed since 2001.

"No, I'm an entirely different person," he said. "Back then it was all about me and all about golf, just like the majority of people that have marched through here [the media room] this week. I mean, it revolves around them, everything. Their handlers, their trainers, their nutritionists, their managers. It's everything. And I've been fortunate in my life to be able to branch out and understand there's some things that are a little more important than this.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 19 Jul 2012, 9:02 am

Re. his eyes: I heard that he had problems with sunlight. Thats why he always played with those sunglasses. But he always had that problem, also during his peak.

I didn't like Duval at the beginning, thought he was too much into him self. But I agree with Tony B Liar, I definitely changed opinion of him after the RC. Now I actually like him! Smile

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Thu 19 Jul 2012, 9:08 am

Link to the Rob Hodgetts' piece on Duval Link

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Thu 02 Aug 2012, 12:22 pm

just read this on DD
http://www.golf.com/ap-news/financial-woes-bring-more-perspective-duval?sct=obinsite

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 02 Aug 2012, 12:24 pm

hend0,
Justin Leonard also trying to unload his mansion . . . . . !

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Thu 02 Aug 2012, 1:18 pm

i see that now! looking for 6.8m USD for it!

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 02 Aug 2012, 1:37 pm

Well if he can't pay his loans, it can't be down to the collapse of the real estate market. It can only be because he wasted his money.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 02 Aug 2012, 1:38 pm

I really don't understand how top sportsmen end up destitute.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 02 Aug 2012, 1:43 pm

pedro,
He bought at the top of the market, as super_realist suggests stupid and greedy. Property only worth about half what he paid for it and now his endorsement income has dried up along with his playing status. Negative equity and all that, in more ways than one.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 02 Aug 2012, 1:45 pm

pedro wrote:Well if he can't pay his loans, it can't be down to the collapse of the real estate market. It can only be because he wasted his money.
I presume he borrowed money to buy real estate, same as any of us who have a mortgage, based on his earnings and his reputation and undoubtedly the predicted value of the property he was buying (sound familiar?) in a few years time. Market crashed and they're actually worth less than when he bought them let alone more than what he paid.
I'm not sure this is the same as "wasting" his money.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 02 Aug 2012, 2:38 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
pedro wrote:Well if he can't pay his loans, it can't be down to the collapse of the real estate market. It can only be because he wasted his money.
I presume he borrowed money to buy real estate, same as any of us who have a mortgage, based on his earnings and his reputation and undoubtedly the predicted value of the property he was buying (sound familiar?) in a few years time. Market crashed and they're actually worth less than when he bought them let alone more than what he paid.
I'm not sure this is the same as "wasting" his money.
I understand all that. But you only lose money if you have to sell. Insolvent or not, if he can pay his mortgage what's the problem? I don't believe he put all his egg in one basket, so if he is forced to sell it means he must have lost money elsewhere. Blimey, interest is low, and he must have some sort of endorsement income to cover the mortgage.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 02 Aug 2012, 3:22 pm

pedro,
The AP report is that Duval's property cost about $12M in the mid 2000's, and is now valued at about half that.
Wouldn't speculate what his mortgage might be, but having a negative equity approaching $6M must be discouraging, to say the least. Banks were lending with ridiculously little collateral six or so years ago, which is of course the reason for the US financial dump which they're now blaming on "Europe".
Also not sure what his endorsement income might be but certainly not what the higher echelon are receiving - recently he's been wearing a BURTON Snowboards cap, and you know that's not mainstream for golf; (however popular it might be here of course).

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 03 Aug 2012, 5:20 pm

I'm with Super -- can't understand how someone that made the money Duval made could end up destitute.

Kwin - Blaming Europe? Hadn't heard that one yet, but could come right out of the Romney camp!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 03 Aug 2012, 7:12 pm

Duval playing nicely in his familiar mile-high air. May be tempting providence, but he's got to have a real nightmare final five holes not to make the cut. Cashflow!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 03 Aug 2012, 8:22 pm

Super

It is a little told story (at least on this side of the atlantic) but when the housing bubble in the US burst it was not just those on low incomes who found they had been given credit to buy property too easily. It was right the way through the socio economic spectrum, especially in Florida in california.

Ironically he may also have had a portfolio which included a large proportion of his wealth in the stock market.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 03 Aug 2012, 9:04 pm

Good tournament so far this week for Duval, and can't imagine anyone not wishing him well.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down