The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Don't cry for me Argentina - IRB World ranking

5 posters

Go down

Don't cry for me Argentina - IRB World ranking Empty Don't cry for me Argentina - IRB World ranking

Post by Argie fan Thu 19 Jul 2012, 1:03 pm

In the circle of rugby in Argentina, we are talking a lot about the IRB rankings.
With the accession of Argentina in The Rugby Championship, will be an uncommon phenomenon.
The more games play around Argentina in The Rugby Championship will be a stronger team, but paradoxically, given that is expected to lose every game; the result is to be sunk deeper and deeper into the IRB world ranking. The coming years will see Argentina sink in the world ranking, because they (probably) will lost many points but never will win points. (Except some windows test)
How far can drop a team that loses every game, even when lost against the three bests in the ranking?
Argie fan
Argie fan

Back to top Go down

Don't cry for me Argentina - IRB World ranking Empty Re: Don't cry for me Argentina - IRB World ranking

Post by Duigers Thu 19 Jul 2012, 1:05 pm

How far can drop a team that loses every game, even when lost against the three bests in the ranking?

It can't. You only lose points if you are beaten by a lesser ranked team.

Duigers

Back to top Go down

Don't cry for me Argentina - IRB World ranking Empty Re: Don't cry for me Argentina - IRB World ranking

Post by sugarNspikes Thu 19 Jul 2012, 1:08 pm

Duigers wrote:

It can't. You only lose points if you are beaten by a lesser ranked team.
Not true. You can still lose points if you are beaten by a higher ranked side. There is a cut-off when your opponent is a lot higher (10 points or thereabouts?) in terms of ranking points where you don't lose points by losing to them. Obviously home and away weightings come into play too.

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 19 Jul 2012, 1:10 pm

Argiefan, it all depends how far ahead in the rankings the other teams are.

You need to be within 10 ranking points to lose any ranking points to the other team.

As things currently stand Argentina won't lose points against NZ.

What you need to remember though, if Argentina wins a match, they will gain HUGE points.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Thu 19 Jul 2012, 1:13 pm

biltongbek wrote:What you need to remember though, if Argentina wins a match, they will gain HUGE points.
Yeah, one win for Argentina (at the end of the tourney so they don't lose points again) would catapult them up a fair bit.

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 19 Jul 2012, 1:15 pm

No need to think doom and gloom Argie fan. If, as you say, Argentina paradoxically get better but drop further down the rankings points, they will be able to pick up points when NH touring teams play them and lose to Argentina.

Plus in the long term, you start to get some wins in the 4N then think of how many rankings points you can pick up by beating teams ranked much higher than Argentina.

I think the alternative of being much higher in the rankings but isolated in a rugby wilderness bereft of regular top-flight rugby is much worse. You're good enough to be in a tournament like this. Have a little more faith in your team and its abilities to become truly competitive.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Thu 19 Jul 2012, 1:17 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:No need to think doom and gloom Argie fan. If, as you say, Argentina paradoxically get better but drop further down the rankings points, they will be able to pick up points when NH touring teams play them and lose to Argentina.

Plus in the long term, you start to get some wins in the 4N then think of how many rankings points you can pick up by beating teams ranked much higher than Argentina.

I think the alternative of being much higher in the rankings but isolated in a rugby wilderness bereft of regular top-flight rugby is much worse. You're good enough to be in a tournament like this. Have a little more faith in your team and its abilities to become truly competitive.
and just think, playing the NH sides will seem like a holiday after the 4Ns Very Happy

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 19 Jul 2012, 1:19 pm

True sugarNspikes, the Argentinians will have been exposed to fast pace, high intensity, so it certainly will improve their play.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Thu 19 Jul 2012, 1:21 pm

biltongbek wrote:True sugarNspikes, the Argentinians will have been exposed to fast pace, high intensity, so it certainly will improve their play.
Yeah, they'll also have faced the SA grind and grunt Wink Run

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 19 Jul 2012, 1:21 pm

And to combative, conservative Bulls-like play which will stand them well for opponents like Ireland, Scotland and Wales. Run

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 19 Jul 2012, 1:24 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:And to combative, conservative Bulls-like play which will stand them well for opponents like Ireland, Scotland and Wales. Run
Whistle you are searching my friend Wink
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 19 Jul 2012, 1:25 pm

I want that red card!!

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 19 Jul 2012, 1:27 pm

As the sadist will say to the masochist when he asked to be hurt.

"no, I won't"

Laugh
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down