The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England vs South Africa: 2nd Test Match Thread

+28
Gregers
Corporalhumblebucket
guildfordbat
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Dorothy_Mantooth
eirebilly
Hibbz
ShankyCricket
mystiroakey
alfie
hodge
GSC
Pal Joey
protea438
msp83
VTR
LivinginItaly
Stella
Fists of Fury
liverbnz
DouglasJardinesbox
Biltong
FerN
gboycottnut
JDizzle
Shelsey93
Liam
Duty281
32 posters

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

England vs South Africa: 2nd Test Match Thread - Page 2 Empty England vs South Africa: 2nd Test Match Thread

Post by Guest Thu 2 Aug - 4:02

First topic message reminder :

Here is the match thread for the 2nd test at headlingley

Likely teams

England: Strauss,Cook,Trott,KP,Bell,Taylor,Prior,Bresnan,Swann,Broad,Anderson

S.Africa: Smith,Peterson,Amla,Kallis,AB,Rudolph,Duminy,Philander,Steyn,Morkel,Tahir

Although massive rumours going around that, england will play 4 quicks and leave out swann!

DISCUSS MATCH HERE

Very Happy

Back to top Go down

England vs South Africa: 2nd Test Match Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: England vs South Africa: 2nd Test Match Thread

Post by Biltong Thu 2 Aug - 20:47

I hate watching us bat for the first hour, it is nerve wracking
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

England vs South Africa: 2nd Test Match Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: England vs South Africa: 2nd Test Match Thread

Post by Pal Joey Thu 2 Aug - 20:50

Guys... can you please choke each other elsewhere. Very Happy

I'll go for 272-4

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 2 Aug - 20:52

lucky escape for Smith there, but the ump called dead ball immediately.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 2 Aug - 20:52

Oh wow. Cook drops a dolly and Smith gets the luckiest of reprieves.

Might as well go back to the olympics, ain't our day
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Thu 2 Aug - 20:54

Dropped catch. As bad as predicted, back to the Olympics for me, might check the score again in four days time....

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 2 Aug - 20:55

12 overs producing no wickets for England, there is already enough to ask questions about the 2 important calls that Andrew Strauss has made.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 2 Aug - 20:55

Knowing our luck these 2 will now make chanceless hundreds
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by FerN Thu 2 Aug - 21:01

Hmm, What game are you guys watching. England has had chances and I am sure they will still get many more. Feels like England is going to win this one.

FerN

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 2 Aug - 21:02

We've had Smith out twice now, once dropped and once given a life by the umpire.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by LivinginItaly Thu 2 Aug - 21:03

dropped catch was petersen not smith

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 2 Aug - 21:06

Appalling umpiring, it has to be said. A horrendous absence of consistency. Why wait until there is a wicket to call a dead ball, when Finn had already knocked the stumps over a couple of times previously?

I'm sickened.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Thu 2 Aug - 21:07

Agree was about to say it, even if Smith or whoever had talked to the umpire why was that the first to be called, unless purely the umpire only calls it when the batsman is out due to being distracted? Bet the batsman wouldn't be too distracted by it if he were to hit it for 6... dead ball then?

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 2 Aug - 21:09

Leaving out Swann has already cost a wicket - reckon he'd have swallowed that one at third slip .
Jimmy didn't look amused.

Hard work ahead today

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 2 Aug - 21:10

Smith clearly wasn't distracted. It was a normal shot, a regulation edge and that's all there is to stay about it.

A complete joke. I'd have walked off the field with my team if I were Strauss.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 2 Aug - 21:12

The important thing to be known hre is whether Finn was given any previous warning about this by the umpire. This is not the first time Finn's done it in his career, but this surely the first time I have seen it called a dead ball. Unless there was a warning, I have to say poor umpiring.
Does the law book say something about this clearly?

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 2 Aug - 21:13

Didn't he call it before the catch was taken? If so, what's the problem?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by FerN Thu 2 Aug - 21:15

Fists of Fury wrote:Smith clearly wasn't distracted. It was a normal shot, a regulation edge and that's all there is to stay about it.

A complete joke. I'd have walked off the field with my team if I were Strauss.

The umpire probably decided before that the next one would be a dead ball. It was the third one off the match already. If it seemed distracted or not, we don't know if he was. I think it was the correct call by the umpire, the fielders didn't even really react to the catch, so it looks like they were also okay with the decision.

FerN

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 2 Aug - 21:15

MSP, they read the law in the commentary box.

It goes something like this.

The umpire may call dead ball for anything noise that distracts the batsman.

They showed that smith spoke to the Ump earlier prior to that ball when it happened, he obviously complained to the ump that it is destracting, I assume that is why the ump called the next one dead ball.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by FerN Thu 2 Aug - 21:17

msp83 wrote:The important thing to be known hre is whether Finn was given any previous warning about this by the umpire. This is not the first time Finn's done it in his career, but this surely the first time I have seen it called a dead ball. Unless there was a warning, I have to say poor umpiring.
Does the law book say something about this clearly?

Don't know about warning, but I think they did say something to him (Or maybe he just said "over").

FerN

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 2 Aug - 21:18

(SA Gold in the Fours... FerN, BB and protea) clap Ale Ale Ale

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 2 Aug - 21:21

Thanks LB, unbeleiveable.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 2 Aug - 21:24

It was a terrific race ...SA by a nose from GB ...

Wonder if that is an omen Rolling Eyes

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 2 Aug - 21:26

alfie wrote:It was a terrific race ...SA by a nose from GB ...

Wonder if that is an omen Rolling Eyes

We won't get that close.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by FerN Thu 2 Aug - 21:28

Linebreaker wrote:(SA Gold in the Fours... FerN, BB and protea) clap Ale Ale Ale

We have a rowing team? I didn't really know we do anything else except the Dozie, but really well done. Thanks LB, this Olympics is turning out really well for us. They already exceeded my expectations.

FerN

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 2 Aug - 21:30

Well, let's hope the forecast for rain is correct, because this is pitiful from England.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LivinginItaly Thu 2 Aug - 21:35

Start the rain dance already guys

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 2 Aug - 21:38

Bresnan looking the best of the seamers, creating troubles for both Smith and Petersen. But they both are hanging in there, and each ball they get through, there will be that much additional pressure on England.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 2 Aug - 21:40

Interestingly enough Umpire Davis called dead ball of Finn again of a ball that Smith hit for 4.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 2 Aug - 21:42

Oh no.. good start by SA..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 2 Aug - 21:45

msp83 wrote:Interestingly enough Umpire Davis called dead ball of Finn again of a ball that Smith hit for 4.
I think it is only fair, if you can't get out with a destraction, you can't score runs off a destraction
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 2 Aug - 21:46

SA just beat in britain in the lightweight fours to gold as well- bad omen!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 2 Aug - 21:48

Hardly fair. A wicket is much bigger than 4 runs. It should never have been an issue, Smith was clearly not distracted and it is simply disgraceful for it to be called on a wicket ball after letting two go by (and countless other umpires letting it go by over the past few years).

Finn should work on removing that from his game, though, it is a ridiculous thing to be constantly doing - annoying as much as anything!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 2 Aug - 21:50

Yes, i agree a wicket is worth more than 4 runs, but my point is what works as a diestraction for the wicket must also work for the boundary
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 2 Aug - 21:51

80-0 rate nearly 3.5 an over...

a hugely frustrating morning for england!

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Thu 2 Aug - 21:52

I know its only the first session but this is as bad as feared. I honestly think we'll lose by an innings from here.

As with the last Test I'm not really going to bother following this one. I'm trying to wean myslelf off Test cricket anyway - I decided after the Windies series I find it more frustrating than enjoyable to follow!

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu 2 Aug - 21:56

Shelsey93 wrote:
JDizzle wrote:Swann has been carrying an injury though, and this rumour does seem to have some substance behind it. I expect to see 3 seamers and 1 spinner tomorrow, but I won't be surprised if there is no Swann!

Without any slower option - a Patel or Bopara - we would leave ourselves very open should SA get away from us again. Headingley isn't quite as much of a seamers ground as is often made out. Its pretty good for batting and could well take spin as the game goes on.

If you are getting your info from Roger the Rum Man he is usually wrong!

Wink

I have my own sources!

Great to see Jimmy finally get his Test bow! Long overdue! And by the looks of things he will have plenty of chance to get a big score when it is our turn with the bat.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by FerN Thu 2 Aug - 21:56

VTR wrote:I know its only the first session but this is as bad as feared. I honestly think we'll lose by an innings from here.

As with the last Test I'm not really going to bother following this one.

Why not. The best games is always against the grain. I remember a certain game where Australia hit 434 of us and someone wanted to turn of the telly. I said don't cause I jokingly said I think we are going to win this one (That's not what I thought at all), and we all know how that turned out.

FerN

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Thu 2 Aug - 21:56

Fists of Fury wrote:Hardly fair. A wicket is much bigger than 4 runs. It should never have been an issue, Smith was clearly not distracted and it is simply disgraceful for it to be called on a wicket ball after letting two go by (and countless other umpires letting it go by over the past few years).

Finn should work on removing that from his game, though, it is a ridiculous thing to be constantly doing - annoying as much as anything!
Apparently, Finn was warned for it earlier.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Thu 2 Aug - 22:00

True Fern. Just added to my comment though, I'm trying (really trying!) not to follow Test cricket so obsessively. Due to having other things on the First Test passed me by and I have to say I was far happier for it.

Test cricket: you've been doing my head in for 20 years, no more please!

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 2 Aug - 22:02

Well that concludes a pathetically inept session, both from England and the fat umpire.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 2 Aug - 22:04

Fists of Fury wrote:Well that concludes a pathetically inept session, both from England and the fat umpire.

no need for personal attacks on the umpire, not very mature....

HOWEVER: A very dissapointing start for england in this game, we are once again playing catch up!

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 2 Aug - 22:06

England have been mugged by a dodgy umpire. Having said that, Petersen is doing very well.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 2 Aug - 22:06

CF, please do not tell me about maturity with your track record...

But yes, a desperate morning session for England.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 2 Aug - 22:06

fists i dont resort to calling umpires fat because of a decision..

anyhow poor from england.

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Thu 2 Aug - 22:07

Fists of Fury wrote:CF, please do not tell me about maturity with your track record...

But yes, a desperate morning session for England.

Laugh

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 2 Aug - 22:10

A listless first sesion for England. After putting SA in, they would have hoped for at least 2 wwickets. The runs came easy for Petersen, and Smith having stayed in there, can cause serious damage as he has done ever so often in his career against England. The decision to leave Swann out didn't make sense at the start, now its becoming absolutely terrible by the minute.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 2 Aug - 22:11

ermmmmmmmm. This is becoming tragic for england- come on lads remember your the best in the world!!! lol to that

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 2 Aug - 22:22

The trouble with a heavy loss like the last one is they start thinking they have to "change" things to compete ...so forgetting about the last three years it is out with the spinner , in with flavor of the month Finn ( and i'm not denying he is a good bowler , just maybe not the wild card many people seem to think) and send 'em in on a pretty benign track...
Will probably end in tears.

Truth is the wheels started to come off when they decided to "rest" their best bowlers from the third West Indies Test : sure it made no difference to the non- result , but it just took away from the serious mindset they have had , play everything to win etc... Never mess with winning ways.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 2 Aug - 22:26

The track is not like the one for the first test, there is some life in it, although not to the extend of winning the toss and bowling or leaving out one of your best bowlers. So England still can regroup and comeback, but they really have to put in a massive effort to turn things around from here.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 2 Aug - 22:31

After lunch we need one magic spell. Like Broad against the Aussies in 2009, Come on England!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next