The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England vs South Africa: 2nd Test Match Thread

+28
Gregers
Corporalhumblebucket
guildfordbat
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Dorothy_Mantooth
eirebilly
Hibbz
ShankyCricket
mystiroakey
alfie
hodge
GSC
Pal Joey
protea438
msp83
VTR
LivinginItaly
Stella
Fists of Fury
liverbnz
DouglasJardinesbox
Biltong
FerN
gboycottnut
JDizzle
Shelsey93
Liam
Duty281
32 posters

Page 12 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

Go down

England vs South Africa: 2nd Test Match Thread - Page 12 Empty England vs South Africa: 2nd Test Match Thread

Post by Guest Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:02 pm

First topic message reminder :

Here is the match thread for the 2nd test at headlingley

Likely teams

England: Strauss,Cook,Trott,KP,Bell,Taylor,Prior,Bresnan,Swann,Broad,Anderson

S.Africa: Smith,Peterson,Amla,Kallis,AB,Rudolph,Duminy,Philander,Steyn,Morkel,Tahir

Although massive rumours going around that, england will play 4 quicks and leave out swann!

DISCUSS MATCH HERE

Very Happy

Back to top Go down

England vs South Africa: 2nd Test Match Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: England vs South Africa: 2nd Test Match Thread

Post by msp83 Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:25 pm

But impresseve stuff from Kallis, keeping his pace up over 130 KPH throughout the over.

msp83

Back to top Go down

England vs South Africa: 2nd Test Match Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: England vs South Africa: 2nd Test Match Thread

Post by Duty281 Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:25 pm

If Morkel or any other SA bowler injures himself during the pointless bowling charade, won't Smith be in for a bit of stick?

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:27 pm

Why?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:27 pm

Ooh!! very nearly a slip catch brought about by Morkel there!.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:28 pm

I have to say, Kallis, Morkel and Steyn bowled with good pace and accuracy this session.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:30 pm

Smith's just going on, Kallis continues. He's just looking for another wicket, trying to play a few mental games it seems.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:33 pm

That's it, Smith has called it off.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:34 pm

Man Of the Match? Only one choice for Me, and that's Kevin Pietersen!. An absolutely terrific innings, and 4 wickets in the match to add!.
Alviro Petersen batted pretty well for South Africa, but KP's knock was one in another class all together.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:37 pm

I would actually give MOTM to broad- because his late bowling spell actually created abit of interest to this match

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:52 pm

Dissapointing in the end. England never really went for it although I think psychologically and from our point of view, our chances of the win went when KP hauled out to mid on.

Bowling rather poor 1st innings, South Africa should never have gotten to 400. Feel if we pitched the ball up more we would have got rewards. Every play and miss was from a ball pitched up at the batsmen.

Broad has gone back to his old ways in bowling back of a length and he just doesn't have the pace to be able to trouble the batsmen with that length. He then began pitching the ball up and low and behold, he took a shed full of wickets, including superb spells against India and the Aussies, and now finally, after pitching the ball up, against SA. The same goes to Finn, he bowled way to short, his bounce will cause problems on a good length, why was he banging the ball in?

I would drop Bresnan for Finn next test. I think Finn still offers more and at his home ground he will know the conditions well. Swann to come back in for Bresnan. Strauss, Flower and the selectors will hang their heads in shame for not playing Swann. Even on the most seamer freindly wickets, you should always have a spinner. Not all wickets for spinners are taking with balls that rip left to right and vice versa. Allot of Swann's wickets are because of the drift he get's, which get's batsmen in all sorts of trouble as a result.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:36 am

Who ended up getting MotM? I would have given that to KP, excellent performance from him. Just slightly better than Petersen and Broad.

On a side note, its good to see Broad back in amongst the wickets, he could be a matchwinner at Lords.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:44 am

I thought it was more of a case of the SA batsmen just going for some runs. They were always going to lose a few with that approach. Fair play to Broad though... he'll most likely be the star England bowler at Lord's.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:48 am

KP did indeed get MOTM.

Yes, LB, it was a bit of both actually, I thought Broad got to very good deliveries in with his LBW dismissals to Duminy and Philander.

AB a tad unlucky from what the studio panel said at Supersport ( I didn't see that) as well as the third Umpire gave Smith out when there was no nick (didn't see that either)

So I think circumstances between some wierd dismissals, some good bowling by Broad and some poor shots made it an exciting afternoon.

The English must be getting real nervous now as they can't win the series anymore. Wink
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:59 am

Lords has usually been a happy hunting ground for Broad so he may yet prove pivitol there. Whats good for SA is that there is a 10 day break between which is more than ample time for them to solve any niggling injuries.

I think that we are in stall for a cracking match at Lords.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:08 pm

So who's struggling with injuries. Smith (knee), Kallis (back) and Petersen (hamstring). Kallis and Petersen might struggle to be fit in time.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:02 pm

What reserve batsmen do the saffers have?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:03 pm

There was bugger all wrong with Kallis. He batted and bowled so the spasms had clearly stopped. Plus, spasms aren't like an injury. They're either there or they're not - if they're not then you're 100% fit.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by protea438 Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:15 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:What reserve batsmen do the saffers have?

Faf du Plessis is officially called up as backup. The South African A side is playing Ireland (or trying to - weather issues) so they will take from there I suppose

protea438

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:47 pm

So Fists, do you think it's a ploy to make things sound worse than they are?

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:43 am

I wouldn't say that LB, but Kallis is a certainty for Lord's.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12