The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

McCloskey v Hearn

+9
Lumbering_Jack
Lance
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
88Chris05
TopHat24/7
AlexHuckerby
azania
alanqlm
13 posters

Go down

McCloskey v Hearn Empty McCloskey v Hearn

Post by alanqlm Thu 02 Aug 2012, 9:41 am

This is about a week late because I have been away the last week and haven't been able to get online.

But I was in the hairdressers last Wednesday at the same time as a certain Eddie Hearn fighter who was talking about Paul and his next fight.

Was mentioning that McCloskey and Hearn were having a disagreement over his next bout. Paul wants a World Class name to get him back into the title mix straight away.

Hearn on the other hand wants McCloskey to take on either Alex Arthur or Derry Matthews, because 1st of all he thinks Paul needs a win under his belt following 3 disappointing performances in a row and also because the chances of getting a world class name to come to Northern Ireland to box on an undercard are slim to none.

alanqlm

Back to top Go down

McCloskey v Hearn Empty Re: McCloskey v Hearn

Post by azania Thu 02 Aug 2012, 9:49 am

Hearns is correct. Perhaps Corley hit McK too hard and he has taken leave of his senses.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 02 Aug 2012, 9:50 am

Eddie Hearn has a very valid point, McCloskey HAS to prove himself against fringe world level opponents before just going straight for world titles, after being battered by Corley, how he can demand this is a bit boggling to be honest.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 02 Aug 2012, 9:52 am

Hearn has his head screwed on and sounds like he's handling this correctly, though I understand Paul Mc's frustrations.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 02 Aug 2012, 9:55 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:Hearn has his head screwed on and sounds like he's handling this correctly, though I understand Paul Mc's frustrations.

He might want to try and win a fight and put on something of a "performance" thought he jobbed Prescott aswell.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 02 Aug 2012, 9:56 am

Hearn talking sense, McCloskey talking garbage, unfortunately. His link to the elite of 140 lb was a little tenuous in any case, but after his dismal showing against Khan and that shocker against Corley, Arthur and Matthews are the sort of names he should rightly be facing in the rebuilding process. I still think that the stoppage against Corley was poor, but that shouldn't mask the fact that Corley had clearly been the better man and had highlighted some bad shortcomings in McCloskey.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 02 Aug 2012, 9:57 am

Hearn should get him a world class opponent who will wipe the floor with him and hopefully he will retire.

I think Hearn has over promoted McCloskey, the alarm bells were there when he barely scraped past Lauri at the Kings Hall a few years ago.

The mythical "Dudey Army" were only a lot of Irish people who wanted to watch Amir Khan after the Maidana fight (that was me included who travelled). After that fight I swore I would never watch McCloskey live again....that promise was broken only for Prizefighter coming to my town and lemon head was on the bill too. Was great to see him get put in his place because I think the hype that Hearn tries to build around Paul on these shores is ridiculous.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Thu 02 Aug 2012, 9:59 am

From McCloskey's perspective, it sounds like an all or nothing gamble. He's not getting any younger and he'd rather have one shot at a title contender now than build up his reputation over a few fights.

I have a soft spot for him as he's a friend of my family and my family are from his home town, but I think he's finished after his last couple of fights. Corley's record coming into the last fight was terrible and he blasted McCloskey away. I just can't see him cutting it at the top level so maybe he wants to gamble on winning a big fight against a top level guy, then having maybe one more big pay day rather than slugging it out against lower level guys over a few fights.

Last edited by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake on Thu 02 Aug 2012, 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 02 Aug 2012, 10:01 am

It's only his job to be fair Reborn, and one he has done rather successfully to be fair with how limited Paul really is to be honest. If you think about it Hearn has done a masterful job so far for his career, McCloskey just hasn't been able to win the fights due to, pure and simple, not being good enough.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Thu 02 Aug 2012, 10:33 am

dont rate mccloskey, but he has a good following. he could potentially earn just as much fighting the top domestic names. im sure this is what hearn is thinking, also more likely to get some wins and prolong his career. i would fancy mathews to beat him though. if mccloskey still thinks hes world class after his performances against khan, prescott and corley then hes ignorant im afraid. always an excuse from him. not to mention his poor excuse for a victory over the italian guy a couple of years back

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 02 Aug 2012, 12:31 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:It's only his job to be fair Reborn, and one he has done rather successfully to be fair with how limited Paul really is to be honest. If you think about it Hearn has done a masterful job so far for his career, McCloskey just hasn't been able to win the fights due to, pure and simple, not being good enough.

Steady on there Alex, I wouldn't say Hearn has done a masterful job.

McCloskey was already Euro Champ when Hearn signed him up. The only fight worth mentioning here is the Khan fight, and that was more Khan wanting an easy nights work back in the UK after going through hell with Maidana. After that, a fight against Prescott then Corely (at a half empty Kings Hall).

McCloskey has had Hearn at pressers spouting how he is "a major player", "a future world champ". Even after the BAD nights he has given.

Its over promoting in my view. Hearn tells us that Kell Brook isn't ready for a big step up, yet he expects us to believe that McCloskey was after the Prescott fight. He even tried to spout nonsense that IF McCloskey had of beat Corely then he would have faced Marquez!!!

The attitude from McCloskey is both his and Hearns' fault.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 02 Aug 2012, 1:05 pm

Think Brook has the talent without doubt, he apparently isn't taking his training seriously enough, perhaps the broken nose and the slight scare against Jones has woken him up to the realities of the professional ranks and will reassess himself... What I hope anyway.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Thu 02 Aug 2012, 1:08 pm

I've never understood the coasting mentality. If you are good at something and have the opportunity to earn millions of pound then why not put in 100% effort all the time.

I hate being overtaken when I'm on a road run (doesn't happen often mind Cool )

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 02 Aug 2012, 1:11 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:

When I grow up, I wanna be just like you.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 02 Aug 2012, 1:19 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:It's only his job to be fair Reborn, and one he has done rather successfully to be fair with how limited Paul really is to be honest. If you think about it Hearn has done a masterful job so far for his career, McCloskey just hasn't been able to win the fights due to, pure and simple, not being good enough.

Steady on there Alex, I wouldn't say Hearn has done a masterful job.

McCloskey was already Euro Champ when Hearn signed him up. The only fight worth mentioning here is the Khan fight, and that was more Khan wanting an easy nights work back in the UK after going through hell with Maidana. After that, a fight against Prescott then Corely (at a half empty Kings Hall).

McCloskey has had Hearn at pressers spouting how he is "a major player", "a future world champ". Even after the BAD nights he has given.

Its over promoting in my view. Hearn tells us that Kell Brook isn't ready for a big step up, yet he expects us to believe that McCloskey was after the Prescott fight. He even tried to spout nonsense that IF McCloskey had of beat Corely then he would have faced Marquez!!!

The attitude from McCloskey is both his and Hearns' fault.

Not impossible to think, Marquez wouldn't have minded an easy vacant title shot at 140.

I think Hearns has done a good job, despite poor performances and seemingly going nowhere, he's kept McCloskey around the top-ish end of the division.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Thu 02 Aug 2012, 1:25 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:
Lumbering_Jack wrote:

Yeah, silly this competitive nature isn't it. Maybe we can all strive to be Mr Average like you.

Good one.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 02 Aug 2012, 1:28 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:I've never understood the coasting mentality. If you are good at something and have the opportunity to earn millions of pound then why not put in 100% effort all the time.

Not even by cars?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Thu 02 Aug 2012, 1:29 pm

seanmichaels wrote:
Lumbering_Jack wrote:I've never understood the coasting mentality. If you are good at something and have the opportunity to earn millions of pound then why not put in 100% effort all the time.

Not even by cars?

No, I run in the coutryside, so technically not a road run. The occasional pedal bike sometimes, and the odd yobbo in his stolen scooter, but no people.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu 02 Aug 2012, 7:07 pm

i wouldnt call them poor performances apart from the khan one. he gave everything against prescott and did well to survive the early rounds and came back well (decision aside). even against corley he was trying, but you could tell the power was bothering him. i just think he's not world level. he would have a chance against judah maybe, which would be a big fight, but i think the division is to strong for he to get a title.

he's been promoted well, i think the hearns are the best promoters in the buisness.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

McCloskey v Hearn Empty McLosky

Post by Guest Thu 02 Aug 2012, 7:09 pm

eddyfightfan wrote:i wouldnt call them poor performances apart from the khan one. he gave everything against prescott and did well to survive the early rounds and came back well (decision aside). even against corley he was trying, but you could tell the power was bothering him. i just think he's not world level. he would have a chance against judah maybe, which would be a big fight, but i think the division is to strong for he to get a title.

he's been promoted well, i think the hearns are the best promoters in the buisness.

Are you actually Eddie Hearn?

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu 02 Aug 2012, 7:15 pm

thats not a compliment really when they have company like top rank, frank warren and GBP.

i just think they'll allow there boxers a chance to take a risk (barker vs martinez, mcloskey vs khan etc) and they keep there fighters busy where possible.

and theres no denying the work they've done in other sports like darts and snooker

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 02 Aug 2012, 9:34 pm

Thats not really risking it - thats a win win situation for his fighters - even if they get battered they werent expected to do anything anyway, they get a far better payday than usual, free exposure and if they win they get another big few fights and a few paydays.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Fri 03 Aug 2012, 8:38 pm

fighting martinez isnt a risk? paul williams says different

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 03 Aug 2012, 8:53 pm

Paul williams was a name or a bit of a one barker was nothing and has had his stock raised after fighting martinez. It was a slight risk for Barkers health - it was no risk for Hearn. Promoters begs for these sorts of fights. Getting a virtual no one a shot against a big name its almost a win win situation with the slight possibility of losing your fighter entirely.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sat 04 Aug 2012, 9:32 pm

a lot of promoters would risk a fight they knew they wouldnt win. barkers stock went up because he was given that oppertunity.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by two_tone Tue 07 Aug 2012, 12:59 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:
Lumbering_Jack wrote:

Yeah, silly this competitive nature isn't it. Maybe we can all strive to be Mr Average like you.

Good one.

I see you are mumbling cack again.

two_tone

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down