The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bath BIG signing! DEALS OFF.....OR IS IT????????

+35
Jenifer McLadyboy
whocares
SirBurger
DaveM
Cryptoyourisan
LondonTiger
dw7
LordDowlais
gowales
sugarNspikes
Artful_Dodger
BigTrevsbigmac
maestegmafia
PJHolybloke
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
thebluesmancometh
bluestonevedder
Cumbrian
bathmad
LeinsterFan4life
Bathite
ScarletSpiderman
cp10
Geordie
HongKongCherry
IanBru
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Scrumdown
yappysnap
funnyExiledScot
Duigers
beshocked
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
formerly known as Sam
HERSH
39 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Bath BIG signing! DEALS OFF.....OR IS IT???????? - Page 3 Empty Bath BIG signing! DEALS OFF.....OR IS IT????????

Post by HERSH Wed 08 Aug 2012, 3:54 pm

First topic message reminder :

The rumour is that they will be a back possibley a 12 or 13. Headscratch

I heard it might be Nonu Yahoo but that is a long shot IMO. Sad

Watch this space.
Bath BIG signing! DEALS OFF.....OR IS IT???????? - Page 3 3933776953

NEWSFLASH......

Looks like Ollies gone, could this mean the deal is back on?

Last edited by HERSH on Wed 19 Sep 2012, 7:46 pm; edited 4 times in total
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Bath BIG signing! DEALS OFF.....OR IS IT???????? - Page 3 Empty Re: Bath BIG signing! DEALS OFF.....OR IS IT????????

Post by Scrumdown Sun 26 Aug 2012, 12:41 pm

Ive heard he is a strong scrummager but gives away too many penalties. The ospreys wanted to bring through ryan bevington anyway.

Scrumdown

Back to top Go down

Bath BIG signing! DEALS OFF.....OR IS IT???????? - Page 3 Empty Re: Bath BIG signing! DEALS OFF.....OR IS IT????????

Post by LordDowlais Sun 26 Aug 2012, 1:30 pm

Scrumdown wrote:Ive heard he is a strong scrummager but gives away too many penalties. The ospreys wanted to bring through ryan bevington anyway.

He used to be like that but he has now mutured, he is only 29 and props do not come into their own until they are at least 31 in my opinion, trust me he will be a stand out player in the Aviva, especially as it is a more forward orientated environment.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 26 Aug 2012, 4:31 pm

I think James will be a stand out for Bath, not sure he will be a stand out overall. Just like Bath fans were very pleased with Caldwell, outside of the Rec his performances were considered only average.

Bath are desperate for moe physicality in the tight five, well in the pack in general, so he should fit in very well indeed. If he can give Bath a decent scrummaging foundation then he will have paid for himself.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by dw7 Sun 26 Aug 2012, 5:31 pm

Scrumdown wrote:I've heard its benji marshall so would be a very big signing.

Nice try.
He signed a 2 million 4 yr extension deal with the Tigers in 2010 running to 2015.
So unlikely now especially with RLWC at end of 2013 season.

As a rugby fan It's a crime players like him will probably never try union.
There again the speed, atleticism & handling skills in the NRL are unmatched in either code...

dw7

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Mon 27 Aug 2012, 10:51 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:I think James will be a stand out for Bath, not sure he will be a stand out overall. Just like Bath fans were very pleased with Caldwell, outside of the Rec his performances were considered only average.

Bath are desperate for moe physicality in the tight five, well in the pack in general, so he should fit in very well indeed. If he can give Bath a decent scrummaging foundation then he will have paid for himself.

Laugh You may want to try and be a little more condescending there Sam...
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Mon 27 Aug 2012, 3:23 pm

He does it very well! Can't help himself on a bath topic, I think he's in denial

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 27 Aug 2012, 7:24 pm

Still waiting...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 27 Aug 2012, 10:21 pm

Hersh was confused, all that has happened is Bath have bought a new Blu-Ray for the coach journeys:

Spoiler:

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 28 Aug 2012, 10:17 am

The water is getting distinctly lukewarm.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Tue 28 Aug 2012, 10:58 am

IMO I don't think we need anymore signings this year.

We look so good at the moment, once we rip Worcester a new one people will realise Bath are back and mean business

Bath being Jeff Champions isn't too far.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Tue 28 Aug 2012, 11:03 am

Dear oh dear, is this you now distancing us from the signing?

If it isn't going to happen, what's the harm in you naming the player?

There's very little on ERE, which is normally pretty accurate

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 28 Aug 2012, 12:02 pm

Wouldnt it be easier to list players Bath havent been linked to over the past 2 years?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Tue 28 Aug 2012, 12:25 pm

yeah, much quicker, good point!

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by bathmad Tue 28 Aug 2012, 1:32 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Wouldnt it be easier to list players Bath havent been linked to over the past 2 years?

Now THAT would be a seriously good team!!

bathmad

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 28 Aug 2012, 1:36 pm

Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Tue 28 Aug 2012, 2:06 pm

'set to sign for Bath 22'

Players that were rumoured to be signing for Bath in the last 2 seasons, but it never happened.

Jenkins / Vunipola / Ayerza
Du Plessis / Britz
Jones / Cole
Borthwick
Kitchener
Croft / Guest
Bergasmasco
Morgan / Stowers

Wigglesworth
Carter / Hodgson
Fitzgerald
Nonu / Henson
Davies / Joseph
Ashton
Masi

Off the top of my head, here's the list of players that we've been after apparently. Not a bad side!

Last edited by Bathite on Tue 28 Aug 2012, 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Tue 28 Aug 2012, 2:09 pm

Don't forget the likes of Croft and Wilko. HERSH I am very disappointed that you have lived up to the Bath PR stereotype!

So on a serious note, do Bath have a marquee player?
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Tue 28 Aug 2012, 2:18 pm

I'll contact Farleigh house later today to find out.

I'm beginning to get worried now, I know work permits take some time but this is getting silly.

HKC if we get this guy even you'll get excited! Whistle
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 28 Aug 2012, 2:19 pm

Me thinks everyone's being taken for a ride....

And HERSH is absolutely loving it.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Cryptoyourisan Tue 28 Aug 2012, 2:24 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:It's going to be Graeme Morrison. He is a big 12.

He's mince too so Bath probably will sign him.

Cryptoyourisan

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Tue 28 Aug 2012, 2:24 pm

Why would I do that?

I have nothing to gain from making Bath look silly.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Tue 28 Aug 2012, 2:32 pm

HERSH wrote:Why would I do that?

In fairness, with your new kit you really don't need any help on that front Wink
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Tue 28 Aug 2012, 2:34 pm

The Away and Euro kits are alright.

But I agree the home shirt is shocking
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 28 Aug 2012, 2:36 pm

You may want to try and be a little more condescending there Sam...

Don't mean to be but Bath have made plenty of tight five signings in recent years and their tight five has always been their major weakness. This signing is one of the best in recent times but even so I'll rate the Bath tight five when I see it perform.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Tue 28 Aug 2012, 3:05 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:

Don't mean to be but Bath have made plenty of tight five signings in recent years and their tight five has always been their major weakness. This signing is one of the best in recent times but even so I'll rate the Bath tight five when I see it perform.

I count the following tight five signings in the last 2 seasons

James, Perenise, Wilson, Beech
Webber, Batty
Attwood, Caldwell, Day, Lobbe

With

Bell, Barnes, Flatman, Stevens
Hawkins, Dixon
Lobbe, Grewcock, Hobson

all leaving.

So, we are up 1 more lock overall. I wouldn't say that having an extra player in the squad really represents more than the usual turnover for a squad, season on season.

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Tue 28 Aug 2012, 3:14 pm

My contact at Farleigh house says it's down to the work permit, apparently there's still a back log due to the Olympics.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Tue 28 Aug 2012, 3:15 pm

What position do they play then chap, or what nationality?

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Tue 28 Aug 2012, 3:26 pm

I've already said I won't be giving out that information bathite.

You'll just have to wait and see.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 28 Aug 2012, 4:22 pm

Just received my membership confirmation. Cheers for the heads up PJ.will be at the REC as often as possible.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 28 Aug 2012, 4:24 pm

With the rumours of Robbie Deans possibly leaving, I was starting to think he'd be the signing, and that everything had been all underhand!

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Tue 28 Aug 2012, 4:41 pm

HERSH wrote:I've already said I won't be giving out that information bathite.

You'll just have to wait and see.

Can't see why you can't, but I won't get my hopes up!

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 28 Aug 2012, 4:56 pm

Hersh why are you even saying you have information if you won't tell people what it is?

For all we know you're just making it up.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 28 Aug 2012, 5:41 pm

HERSH wrote:Why would I do that?

Very good question, why do you spend so much time making Bath look silly?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Tue 28 Aug 2012, 8:17 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Just received my membership confirmation. Cheers for the heads up PJ.will be at the REC as often as possible.

OK Pleasure Maesteg, I'm targeting Sale as my first home game so it would be good to catch up with you then if possible? I'll be going to Worcester on Saturday as it's so close, I'd like to make the Saints fixture, but a Friday night game is borderline impossible with the M5 being so shoite.
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Tue 28 Aug 2012, 8:25 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:

Very Happy Nah, it's cool Sam. If I was a sensitive soul I could have found some offense in there if I'd wanted to, but I know your style and you just call it the way you see it. They did look very solid against the O's though and they went through plenty of permutations, the acid test of just how good they are will come against Saints I think.

I'm pretty optimistic that Bath will not be getting shoved off the ball this season, particularly after some of the shamings they had last term. Shocked
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 29 Aug 2012, 9:37 am

PJ I hope you're right, there's some promising young England talent in the Bath pack in the likes of Webber, Wilson, Attwood and Fearns. We need them to be pushing their way into the reckoning next season and they won't do that if they are taking a hiding every week up front, Gold should help that a bit. Hopefully some additional grunt from James at loosehead and Webber at hooker will be just the ticket (except when you play Tigers of course).

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Wed 29 Aug 2012, 11:18 am

Just seen that Frans Louw has been added to the SA training squad! This is a disaster! Likely he won't make the SA 22, but misses our weekend game. Bol locks!

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 29 Aug 2012, 11:48 am

Ouch, that's bad news for Bath. SA rugby selecting another non-SA based player is not good either, tells players that if they leave SA for a pay cheque they are still in contention. I notice Puke Watson is still not considered even with the Boks desperate for flanker cover.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Wed 29 Aug 2012, 11:52 am

Watson doesn't play in the S15! England wouldn't call up Chris York or Will Welch, would they?

SA littered with back row talent

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Wed 29 Aug 2012, 1:00 pm

That's a kick in the taters then. 6 is the one position Bath dont have good cover. Who will step into the breach for the Worcester game? Ovens?

Sam, gettingthose players into the England squad is the proverbial double-edged sword as you know only too well. I'd be happier if it was next season or the season after. Very Happy
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Wed 29 Aug 2012, 2:01 pm

Flo makes such a difference to the team. He's one of the biggest ball carriers, a true link man, great offload, as well as playing like a 7 at the breakdown.

I guess we'll be looking at

6 Fearns
7 Mercer
8 Taylor / Skirving

or

6 Ovens
7 Fearns
8 Taylor / Skirving

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 29 Aug 2012, 2:18 pm

Watson doesn't play in the S15! England wouldn't call up Chris York or Will Welch, would they?

I wouldn't put it past Lancaster and I think Watson will as of next season what with the Kings getting the Super 15 spot over the Lions.

Flo makes such a difference to the team. He's one of the biggest ball carriers, a true link man, great offload, as well as playing like a 7 at the breakdown.

He was your best player last season. Any chance of seeing young Skuse, Mercer or Ovens playing regularly at the start of this season or are they still behind the likes of Taylor and Skirving?

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Wed 29 Aug 2012, 7:26 pm

I wouldn't have said they were behind Taylor, but I don't pick the team.

My first choice back row would be Louw, Mercer, Fearns. I really want to see Fearns getting regular game time at 8, as I'd like him to be putting pressure on Morgan for England.

Mercer is still gaining experience but this could be a big breakthrough season for him, likewise for Skuse. Skirving probably edges both for the bench spot as he has more experience across the back row (he made every match day squad last season), personally I'd like to see Skuse bench more, but I would say now Ovens is fit again, he and Skirving will share bench duty, with Skuse getting opportunities in the Little Value or the "other cup" games.
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Wed 29 Aug 2012, 9:30 pm

I thought Louw was basically Bath's first choice 7? I see Mercer played 6 for the reserves, and Skuse appears to be well regarded by the new coaching team and may move ahead of him quickly.

KPN is another exciting prospect - always good to see a young TH coming through.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Wed 29 Aug 2012, 11:15 pm

Louw is Bath's first choice Dave, but he's been snagged by SA for their training squad, so we're just guessing on the back row for the weekend, and how it may pan out for the youngsters over the coming season. OK
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Wed 29 Aug 2012, 11:23 pm

Yeah, I'm just confused as to why some people seem to see Louw at 6.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Thu 30 Aug 2012, 6:41 am

Just because that's where he will most likely be playing for Bath Dave, he's the best 6 Bath have there are a number of players that can play openside well, but none that can play blindside anywhere near as good as he can.

I've heard he'll be playing against Worcester but leaving straight after the game, I guess he won't feature again till early November. furious
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Thu 30 Aug 2012, 8:13 am

formerly known as Sam wrote: I notice Puke Watson is still not considered even with the Boks desperate for flanker cover.

Watson is a great player, but he would be way way down the pecking list for SA. They are littered with back row talent. Even with all of their injuries I would hardly say they are 'desperate'.

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Thu 30 Aug 2012, 3:09 pm

I thought it was mentioned it might be a back rower. And one that is struggling to get a work permit, that would make sense......

http://planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_8033371,00.html

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 30 Aug 2012, 3:13 pm

Bathite wrote:I thought it was mentioned it might be a back rower. And one that is struggling to get a work permit, that would make sense......

http://planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_8033371,00.html

He would be a big signing and great for Bath if they can pull it off.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next