The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bath BIG signing! DEALS OFF.....OR IS IT????????

+35
Jenifer McLadyboy
whocares
SirBurger
DaveM
Cryptoyourisan
LondonTiger
dw7
LordDowlais
gowales
sugarNspikes
Artful_Dodger
BigTrevsbigmac
maestegmafia
PJHolybloke
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
thebluesmancometh
bluestonevedder
Cumbrian
bathmad
LeinsterFan4life
Bathite
ScarletSpiderman
cp10
Geordie
HongKongCherry
IanBru
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Scrumdown
yappysnap
funnyExiledScot
Duigers
beshocked
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
formerly known as Sam
HERSH
39 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Bath BIG signing! DEALS OFF.....OR IS IT???????? - Page 4 Empty Bath BIG signing! DEALS OFF.....OR IS IT????????

Post by HERSH Wed 08 Aug 2012, 3:54 pm

First topic message reminder :

The rumour is that they will be a back possibley a 12 or 13. Headscratch

I heard it might be Nonu Yahoo but that is a long shot IMO. Sad

Watch this space.
Bath BIG signing! DEALS OFF.....OR IS IT???????? - Page 4 3933776953

NEWSFLASH......

Looks like Ollies gone, could this mean the deal is back on?

Last edited by HERSH on Wed 19 Sep 2012, 7:46 pm; edited 4 times in total
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Bath BIG signing! DEALS OFF.....OR IS IT???????? - Page 4 Empty Re: Bath BIG signing! DEALS OFF.....OR IS IT????????

Post by Bathite Thu 30 Aug 2012, 3:31 pm

Hug

Yeah I agree. It won't happen, but a back row of

Thompson
Louw
Fearns

would be an exciting prospect indeed!

Think we'd be better spending the cash elsewhere

(Maybe a centre, so Banahan could go back to the wing!?)

Jokes

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Bath BIG signing! DEALS OFF.....OR IS IT???????? - Page 4 Empty Re: Bath BIG signing! DEALS OFF.....OR IS IT????????

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 30 Aug 2012, 3:49 pm

Thompson on a one or two year deal might be a good option. He would offer something to the lineout and gets through bags of work around the park which would free up Louw to do some more carrying. By the time he leaves Bath will have ditched Taylor and the young guns will be more settled as squad players ready to step up (if they haven't forced their way in already).

Centre does look a bit worrying for you at the minute.

10.Donald / Heathcote
12.Barkley / Vesty / Banahan
13.Hipkiss / Williams(? - the academy graduate whose name I never remember)

You could do with another player in there to play 12/13.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Thu 30 Aug 2012, 3:55 pm

Deffos, need a Carraro replacement

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Thu 30 Aug 2012, 5:44 pm

Another experienced centre / wing that would have given good cover on the cheap goes awry..and to Wasps

http://planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_8034699,00.html

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 30 Aug 2012, 7:22 pm

Average player, suprised Wasps have gone back in for him.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Thu 30 Aug 2012, 8:02 pm

PJHolybloke wrote:Just because that's where he will most likely be playing for Bath Dave, he's the best 6 Bath have there are a number of players that can play openside well, but none that can play blindside anywhere near as good as he can.

Eh? But I thought you agreed he was Bath's first choice 7? Mercer faded last season and from what I can tell isn't necessarily a favourite of the entirely new forwards coaching team (playing 6 for the reserves having bulked up). Fearns can play 6.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Thu 30 Aug 2012, 8:57 pm

Laugh Yeah, I've just read back and it's making sense now. I was reading & posting from my phone yesterday, my eyes aren't what they used to be and I thought you'd posted "I thought Louw was Bath's first choice ??"

It didn't look like a 7 on my phone. Cool

Louw is that good he would be first choice at 6 or 7, but as it's all about perming the best 3, I reckon Louw will play more at 6 than 7 this season, Mercer is a very promising 7 and I think Fearns will get a lot of gametime at 8.

I would like to think Skuse will get a good shot this season, and maybe Louw's call-up will be his big opportunity, Skirving is a strong bench option because of his ability to cover all positions.

My back row would be Louw, Mercer, Fearns, but after Saturday, There's every possibility it could be Fearns, Mercer, Skuse or Mercer, Skuse, Fearns or Fearns, Skuse, Skirving with Mercer on the bench.

That's the first I've heard about Mercer being out of favour with the new coaches, where did you hear that? chin
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Thu 30 Aug 2012, 11:48 pm

Just my conclusion based on the fact he played for the United side at 6, whilst Skuse was involved with the first team later that day.

Do you think Fearns will actually be used at 8? I know he played there at age-group, but played 7 for England in the mid-week game and I think Skirving has been playing 8 recently.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Fri 31 Aug 2012, 6:39 am

OK, gotcha. I'm not sure you can read too much into that decision, maybe I'm being simplistic, but I would put that down to rotating the players so that they all get the best out of the preseason games. Maybe they thought Mercer would benefit more from 80 minutes against Llandovery than he would from 40/50 minutes against Blues?

The backrow that started at the O's was Louw, Skuse, Fearns and Bath really dominated the breakdown, got quick ball themselves but slowed the O's ball down to nothing.

Prior to Louw's call-up, I would say Fearns at 8 would be a regular option, now I'm not so sure, until Louw returns we wont know who the first choice loosies are.

Fearns has a massive tackle, carries very well and is a great game reader, but for me he just isn't groundhog material, he's not quite quick enough and too tall for my liking. I'd really like to see him playing at 8 and putting some pressure on Morgan/Waldrom for an England shirt. Maybe I'm just wishing it? In any eventuality, Louw is a massive loss just when Bath don't need it and until the end of October/early November, we'll have to wait and see.
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Fri 31 Aug 2012, 7:48 am

Having Agulla and Louw come back in December is going to give us some nice impetus though and 2 great players to have during 6Ns.

Looking for the positives!!

Also, just because Louw has been called up, doesn't this mean he can be returned and released again, before the end of the tournament?

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Fri 31 Aug 2012, 8:23 am

Yep, no reason why he can't be released, however, the injuries SA have amongst their loosies are all long term so its unlikely he'll be suddenly seen as surplus. Doesn't the Championship end in October?

I was expecting them back.for the beginning of November.
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Fri 31 Aug 2012, 9:36 am

Yeah it finishes mid October, so back for start of November you're right.

Didn't realise all the injuries were long term and he'd have a chance of starting, thought he was just being called up as training cover and because he covers 6, 7 (and 8)

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 31 Aug 2012, 10:39 am

Championship finishes 6th October.
AIs start 10th November.

The 4 weekends between theses consist of the first two HC rounds (or Amlin for Bath) then 2 AP matches.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Fri 31 Aug 2012, 8:25 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Championship finishes 6th October.
AIs start 10th November.

The 4 weekends between theses consist of the first two HC rounds (or Amlin The Other Cup for Bath) then 2 AP matches.

Fixed that for you LT - the "A" word is NOT to be mentioned under ANY circumstances, ta. OK
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Sat 01 Sep 2012, 9:45 am

Last edited by PJHolybloke on Sat 01 Sep 2012, 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 01 Sep 2012, 10:04 am

Well dont worry youll have this big new signing ready in time for the start of the season to cover for him.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Sat 01 Sep 2012, 10:13 am

Yeah, riding to the rescue through the Scotch Mist on the back of Shergar...
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 01 Sep 2012, 11:09 am

I saw Francois Pienaar sat near Bruce Craig at the Oval. World Cup winning Captain would be a big signing Wink

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Sat 01 Sep 2012, 11:21 am

Laugh Yeah, and if KP doesn't get an IPL slot his winter's going to look pretty empty...
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 03 Sep 2012, 11:17 pm

Is this actually going to happen. I have heard nothing about it other than on this thread.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Mon 03 Sep 2012, 11:29 pm

I severely doubt it Maesteg, Blowfeld mentioned there would be a big announcement about about an exciting new signing back in July - shortly before Agulla joined.

In the lead up to the Warriors game, Gold was absolutely unequivocal when he stated that his coaching regime had brought in NO new players.

I guess Craig and Blowfeld have differing ideas to the majority of Bath fans as to what constitutes "an exciting new signing".
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 03 Sep 2012, 11:36 pm

Oh well...!

I should be down there next Saturday to watch Bath play wasps...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Tue 04 Sep 2012, 12:03 am

Won't be there till the 29th against Sale mate, but it would be great if we could meet up for that one.

I can't lie Maesteg, the first half against Worcester was pure bilge, Bath tried to tan the leather off the ball from 9, 10, 15 and even Banahan had a lash at it at one stage, bizarrely enough, his effort was probably the most impressive in terms of ground gained by virtue of a Worcester knock-on into touch.

It's pretty clear that the current squad has been assembled around a gameplan devised by Geech during his tenure, along with a little help/interference from Craig and Blowfeld; Gold and his team have inherited the squad and are now trying to impose their own influence on the team and how they play.

This is not going to happen in a matter of days, and from what I saw last weekend, it could be a very one-sided affair at the Rec. On the bright side, if you're in the East stand, the weather will be nice and you'll get a cracking view of the Abbey. OK

We must be thankful for...
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 04 Sep 2012, 12:18 am

Well Wasps look like a cracking team this year so it should be a good one.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Tue 04 Sep 2012, 12:23 am

Too good for Bath at the moment I fear. Expect irresistible force and immovable object.
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 04 Sep 2012, 7:59 am

How did Paul james do for Bath on the weekend ? Ale

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 04 Sep 2012, 8:05 am

I still haven't seen the game. I didnt record it. I remember Richard Hill saying nice things about the Ireland prop John Andress that he was up against.

Looking forward to seeing how Nicky Robinson or Steve Jones fair this weekend coming.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bathmad Tue 04 Sep 2012, 8:44 am

maestegmafia wrote:I still haven't seen the game. I didnt record it. I remember Richard Hill saying nice things about the Ireland prop John Andress that he was up against.

Looking forward to seeing how Nicky Robinson or Steve Jones fair this weekend coming.

Would it be wrong to hope for a 24hour bug?? Doh

bathmad

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 04 Sep 2012, 9:01 am

WHO'S THE SIGNING???!!!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 04 Sep 2012, 9:04 am

THERE ISNT ONE

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Tue 04 Sep 2012, 9:09 am

Guys, come on, how can you doubt Hersh?

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Tue 04 Sep 2012, 9:14 am

Unfortunately it seems to have hit a brick wall, the paper work still isn't finished and the UKBF is dragging their heels over something.

What else can I say but 'be patient and wait and see?'
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 04 Sep 2012, 9:26 am

You are so full of poopie HERSH

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Tue 04 Sep 2012, 9:28 am

Give UKBF a ring!
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Tue 04 Sep 2012, 9:49 am

LordDowlais wrote:How did Paul james do for Bath on the weekend ? Ale

He did OK LD, not really a fair game to judge individual performances on but he did well at scrum time. Andress was an absolute menace, kept refusing James' bind, bound on James' arm, wouldn't scrum straight, it was a mess first half. However, by the second half James had him totally sussed and Andress turned into a penalty machine.

He's a canny booger to be sure. Very solid operator and got around the park plenty, obviously very fit, the O's have kept him in good nick, so thanks for that.
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 04 Sep 2012, 10:01 am

PJHolybloke wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:How did Paul james do for Bath on the weekend ? Ale

He did OK LD, not really a fair game to judge individual performances on but he did well at scrum time. Andress was an absolute menace, kept refusing James' bind, bound on James' arm, wouldn't scrum straight, it was a mess first half. However, by the second half James had him totally sussed and Andress turned into a penalty machine.

He's a canny booger to be sure. Very solid operator and got around the park plenty, obviously very fit, the O's have kept him in good nick, so thanks for that.

That is the exact assessment I would expect of him, the trouble is here in Wales there was to much of a love in for Gethin Jenkins. Paul James is very good forward, with a brain he uses well, he used to be a penalty machine in his younger days but has since learned how to use the darker arts and he is as strong as an ox as well. He will do exceptionally well for you this season. thumbsup

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Tue 04 Sep 2012, 11:33 am

Yeah, I'm convinced he'll be Bath's best signing come the end of the season.

He was only penalised once and that was early on the first half for not using the gate at a ruck , it was a dodgy call by Percival though as Schofield was stood in the gate obstructing Bath from hitting the ruck legally.
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 05 Sep 2012, 12:57 pm

The latest breaking news:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTEFKFiXSx4&feature=related

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Wed 05 Sep 2012, 11:53 pm

Still concerned that Gold's gameplan is going to be based on the kick-chase. It's possible that Bath rather than Saracen's will be the least attractive side in English rugby this year. Still, early days.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Thu 06 Sep 2012, 8:28 am

Having been an attractive side for a number of years I'll take the dull style if it means the odd piece of silverware every now and then.

My contact at Farleigh house seems to think the big signing is off for now, too many issues over the players past.
At least Bath didn't make themselves look stupid this time by not announcing their interest in the player before they signed on the dotted line.

Looks like the club is moving forward. Very Happy
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 06 Sep 2012, 9:03 am

Nice get out, Hersh!

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 06 Sep 2012, 9:08 am

HERSH wrote:Having been an attractive side for a number of years I'll take the dull style if it means the odd piece of silverware every now and then.

My contact at Farleigh house seems to think the big signing is off for now, too many issues over the players past.At least Bath didn't make themselves look stupid this time by not announcing their interest in the player before they signed on the dotted line.

Looks like the club is moving forward. Very Happy

Who was it Hershy, Andy Powell ? Laugh

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Thu 06 Sep 2012, 9:18 am

I believe they were from Oz, and no not the Tinman!
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 06 Sep 2012, 9:22 am

HERSH you should be working for the tabloids!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 06 Sep 2012, 9:32 am

yappysnap wrote:HERSH you should be working for the tabloids!

How do you know he don't?
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 06 Sep 2012, 10:14 am

HERSH wrote:I believe they were from Oz, and no not the Tinman!

Ahhhh, I know who it must be then..... Campo. laughing

I bet he is still quicker than any of your wingers you have at the moment Hershy. kiss

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Thu 06 Sep 2012, 10:18 am

At least Jeff rugby fans would turn up to watch him, maybe the Rabo teams should think about signing him, might help with their poor attendances.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 06 Sep 2012, 10:19 am

HERSH wrote:I believe they were from Oz, and no not the Tinman!

He is trying to suggest it was Quade Cooper, a player with a troubled past.

In fact Bath were looking at Craig Gower Wink

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Thu 06 Sep 2012, 10:20 am

Most Aussies have a troubled past, it's in their blood. Very Happy
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 06 Sep 2012, 11:09 am

They werent looking to bring Scott Harrison out of retirement were they?

Craig Gower?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next