The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forgotten men star for Surrey

4 posters

Go down

Forgotten men star for Surrey Empty Forgotten men star for Surrey

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 13 Apr 2011, 11:03 pm

Harinath (70 off 51 balls) and Spriegel (46 off 38 balls and 4 - 23) starred as Surrey comfortably defeated in Essex in the 2nd XI Trophy - 40 over competition. Chris Jordan (opening!) also scored 50. Encouraging to see Harinath and Spriegel, who had both appeared increasingly out of contention for the first team, in good form.

I raised the question a while back on 606 as to whether Spriegel, whose batting is probably not quite up to first team standard, may yet carve out a role as a spinning all rounder. There were mixed views then, and it will be interesting to watch his progress.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Forgotten men star for Surrey Empty Re: Forgotten men star for Surrey

Post by guildfordbat Thu 14 Apr 2011, 6:46 pm

Good post, Corporal. Still hard to see how and where Harinath and Spriegel will fit into the firsts but, as you say, encouraging - for them and us.

I think Spiegel's best opportunities this season will most likely be in the one day stuff. Beyond that, I'm not convinced he's quite good enough to make the grade in the County Championship. Happy to be proved wrong but suspect his level is more Minor Counties where he would almost certainly shine.

Not only 70 runs for Harinath but a strike rate of almost 140 - wow! Isn't he the guy who scored our slowest ever CC fifty last season? Really hope he makes it. He kept slugging it out in 2010 despite a lot being stacked against him - a young batsman trying to make his way in a mainly losing team with a different opening partner every other game.

By the way, where was your protege Dunn? Hope he's not confined to barracks! Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Thu 14 Apr 2011, 8:35 pm

I can't see Spriegel ever being more than a good squad player who can come in and do a job if we have injuries etc, but good to see him doing well nonetheless. Harinath I think has a lot of potential and showed excellent commitment and temperament at times last season but couldn't ever convert his starts. Hopefully next time he can come into a more settled and successful side and do a bit better.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 14 Apr 2011, 8:36 pm

i think spriegel will play an important role this year for surrey.

Back to top Go down

Post by jbd349 Thu 14 Apr 2011, 9:28 pm

I think Spriegel will have an important role as an all-rounder in the One-Day side this season:

R Hamilton-Brown (c)
S Davies (wk)
Z De Bruyn
T Maynard
G Wilson
J Roy
M Spriegel
C Schofield
G Batty
Y Arafat
J Dernbach

with Pietersen, Ramprakash an Tremlett slotting in when available

jbd349

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 14 Apr 2011, 9:47 pm

Decent batting line up JBD. I would have thought that one from Jordan, Meaker and the Viscount might be in contention - although until now Meaker would be at risk of being hit out the attack. Whatever the position on that I could see a side with four front line bowlers plus de Bruyn and Spriegel making up the fifth bowler.

Guildford - I too was puzzled by the absence of Dunn in 2nd XI. Perhaps he needs a spell down the Woking salt mines to toughen up Wink

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jbd349 Thu 14 Apr 2011, 9:52 pm

Corporal

Yeah, now you mention Jordan, I reckon he might be in contention (maybe batting at 3 as a hitter or at 7 instead of Spriegel?) but IMO Linley is too slow and will be hit and Meaker is always at risk of spraying it all over the place, although hopefully he can improve this as the season goes on.

jbd349

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 14 Apr 2011, 10:08 pm

Corporal / JBD - I think Jewell will also get a chance this season in some of the one dayers.

Corporal - Dunn will have to wait awhile as we're not taking interns down the mines at the moment Crying or Very sad

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down