The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY VS KENT/SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE ROYAL LONDON CUP

+3
Good Golly I'm Olly
guildfordbat
jimbobgooner
7 posters

Go down

SURREY VS KENT/SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE  ROYAL LONDON CUP  Empty SURREY VS KENT/SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE ROYAL LONDON CUP

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 11 May 2017, 6:34 pm

SURREY HAVE NAMED A 14-MAN SQUAD TO TAKE ON KENT IN THE ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP AT THE KIA OVAL TOMORROW (FRIDAY MAY 12TH).
For the first time this year, the squad includes Surrey and England white ball opener Jason Roy – who is also available for Sunday’s clash with Hampshire   Very Happy – and Sri Lankan batsman Kumar Sangakkara returns to the 14 after missing the trip to Hove at the weekend due to a slight groin strain.  Very Happy
Seam bowler Jade Dernbach, who has missed the last two games in the competition, is replaced in the squad by left arm fast bowler Mark Footitt, who has recovered from an injury .
FULL SURREY SQUAD:
Gareth Batty
Scott Borthwick
Rory Burns
Sam Curran
Tom Curran
Ben Foakes
Mark Footitt
Stuart Meaker
Ollie Pope
Ravi Rampaul
Jason Roy
Kumar Sangakkara
Dominic Sibley
Mark Stoneman
Hard to call the 3 to miss out so I'd go for  Sibley, footitt and sadly his holiness to miss out.
Over to you chaps thumbsup

Last edited by jimbobgooner on Sat 13 May 2017, 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS KENT/SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE  ROYAL LONDON CUP  Empty Re: SURREY VS KENT/SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE ROYAL LONDON CUP

Post by guildfordbat Thu 11 May 2017, 7:08 pm

Cheers, JimBob.

I agree with you on the 3 to miss out. If it's explained to the Pope that he's acting as the holy water boy because BOTH Sanga and Roy are back, he shouldn't be too upset - he's made great progress.

Key question for tomorrow - what is the weather going to be like? 2 reasons for asking.
1. A no result is no use to us. We have to win all our last 3 games to have any chance of progressing. Even then, other results will need to go our way. Only the top 3 teams progress from our group and we are currently 7th! Not good, not good at all.
2. I may go although it's tricky for various boring reasons.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS KENT/SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE  ROYAL LONDON CUP  Empty Re: SURREY VS KENT/SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE ROYAL LONDON CUP

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 12 May 2017, 12:06 am

What has happened to the corporal we need a weather update Shocked

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 12 May 2017, 10:02 am

Hi Ji mbob - sorry I was out on the roof surveying the skies! Wink  Currently raining here in West Kent - but I reckon it's probable there will be enough play for a result today. Nothing guaranteed tho - as thundery/showery outbreaks can be very hit and miss.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 12 May 2017, 10:26 am

https://www.kiaoval.com/main-news/surrey-v-kent-to-be-live-streamed/

Great news - match will be streamed live on Surrey website - hopefully they do this more often
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 12 May 2017, 10:44 am

Olly - thanks for your post. Very helpful as I'm not at the game and didn't know about the live stream. Got a few other things going on today but will look in now and then.

Corporal - yeah, probably an interrupted game but both sides should be able to get 10 overs to allow for a positive result.

In the Surrey Ad today, Spills quotes Stewie: '' Now we've just got to win our last three games and hope that other results go for us but it's disappointing that it's out of our hands because at least two of our three defeats should have been wins but we let games slip.'' Very much reflects what I was banging on about in my post above.

Corporal - thanks for the weather update. Much the same for Sunday, I think? I'm definitely going then unless it's lashing down. Particularly want to see Jimbo's lad Crane. Spills refers to Dernbach as still being ''unlikely'' for Sunday.

PS Could be an interesting Surrey squad for the Hants game if we lose today - Freddie and Virdi maybe? Anyway, that's getting ahead of myself.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 12 May 2017, 10:50 am

Kent win toss and bowl. Our old enemy Stevens couldn't wish for more suitable weather to help him - surely he won't be our downfall again?!

Surrey team as we thought. Footitt, Sibley and the Pope on the bench.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 12 May 2017, 11:25 am

Roy takes 16 off the first over

It's good to have you back jase
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 12 May 2017, 12:02 pm

58 - 1 with rain halting play after 7.4 overs.  Hope Messr Duckworth and Lewis are in benevolent mood today.  Pretty difficult to pace a firsting innings in a one dayer if there is constant uncertainty about how many overs you've got.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 12 May 2017, 2:53 pm

198 - 5 after 34 of 41 overs.  Stop start weather and stop start batting.  Once again we'd have been sunk without Foakes - currently on 60* off 62 balls.  Useful partnership (57*) building between Foakes and Curran the Youngest.  Even so we're unlikely to pose a particularly daunting total.  Sam Curran has been pretty short of runs, so good to see him making a useful contribution...

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 12 May 2017, 4:59 pm

Just catching up with cricinfo. According to that, Kent need a lower score off their 41 overs than we managed. I don't understand that at all - surely we would have been expected to have been pacing ourselves more when we started in what was then a 50 over game??? Can anyone help explain please.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 12 May 2017, 5:13 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Just catching up with cricinfo. According to that, Kent need a lower score off their 41 overs than we managed. I don't understand that at all - surely we would have been expected to have been pacing ourselves more when we started in what was then a 50 over game??? Can anyone help explain please.

I can explain - Duckworth Lewis is an incredibly outdated and useless system

Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 12 May 2017, 5:13 pm

Comical run out of northeast!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 12 May 2017, 5:24 pm

Billings dropped off borthwick - crucial moment
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 12 May 2017, 5:25 pm

Duckworth Lewis often gives a reasonable results but - like Guildford - I cannot fathom why Kent should now be facing a slightly easier target when for much of the time Surrey would have been pacing themselves for a 50 over innings. 

Borthwick proving very expensive.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 12 May 2017, 5:26 pm

...but at least Borthwick does take a wicket, of Stevens.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 12 May 2017, 5:47 pm

Thanks for confirming it wasn't just me, chaps.

5 down but Billings still there and growing strong. Get him soon and we get the win. If not ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 12 May 2017, 6:07 pm

Kent need 79 off 10 with 4 wickets left...Billings still there. Game depends on him now
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 12 May 2017, 6:33 pm

All out 204.  Last four Kent wickets fall quickly (in the kind of clatter you'd normally expect from Surrey).  Four wickets to Meaker and three to Sam Curran.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 12 May 2017, 6:40 pm

As often said, Meaker makes things happen. He sure blew the Kent tail away today, was watching on Olly's stream - fast, eh?! Mind you, it was Sam who really opened the door by getting Billings.

Great credit to That's All for once more leading the way with the bat. All the others into double figures but generally not kicking on enough.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 12 May 2017, 6:45 pm

Meaker was throwing down some serious pace in those final overs! Great stuff from the bowlers in light of the ridiculous D/L target
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 13 May 2017, 1:35 am

Absolute disgrace that vera duckworth /Chris Lewis target, surrey punished for having to stop start their innings twice. Look at the Glamorgan game where we needed 6 a over from the start when Glamorgan didn't come off once and they finished on a run rate of 5 mad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 13 May 2017, 2:42 pm

Same 14 for Hampshire tomorrow baring any knocks the eleven picks itself

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 14 May 2017, 10:57 am

For those not at the Oval today the game is again being streamed on the club website - (JimboHammers this might interest you!)

https://www.kiaoval.com/main-news/live-stream-surrey-v-hampshire/
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 14 May 2017, 11:18 am

Ben Foakes has just taken a screamer to remove Roussouw
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by James100 Sun 14 May 2017, 11:23 am

I'm at the ground today. Both Currans bowling very well to get Hants 17-2

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 14 May 2017, 11:29 am

Huge appeal against Vince not given - looked very out to me
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 14 May 2017, 11:33 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Huge appeal against Vince not given - looked very out to me

Doesn't matter now as next over Vince goes to Sam Curran - Surrey all over Hants here at 35-3
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 14 May 2017, 11:41 am

Have a good time - those at the Oval.  Good start to take three wickets, including Vince - but as we know anything can happen. Still a fair amount of batting to come. 

In less good news, Sussex are steaming along briskly against Gloucs.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by James100 Sun 14 May 2017, 12:40 pm

Hants 89-6. Extremely good bowling from Surrey. Feeling like this is going to be quite a short day out.

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 14 May 2017, 2:39 pm

James100 wrote:Hants 89-6. Extremely good bowling from Surrey. Feeling like this is going to be quite a short day out.
picard

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 14 May 2017, 3:15 pm

Hants are going to be massively boosted having got out of jail. However, we should still win. No demons in the pitch. We bowled and caught extremely well first 20 odd overs, then Bailey and Abbott batted very sensibly and effectively. Bailey was the star but he would be getting on the bus about now had it not been for Abbott.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by James100 Sun 14 May 2017, 3:52 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:
James100 wrote:Hants 89-6. Extremely good bowling from Surrey. Feeling like this is going to be quite a short day out.
picard

picard indeed

Though Stoneman & Sangakkarra now making it look like a par 350 pitch.

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 14 May 2017, 7:58 pm

First innings very much a case of Rumpole and the Bailey! Wink 

Sounds like superb batting display by Surrey once we recovered from loss of Roy king

Last edited by Corporalhumblebucket on Sun 14 May 2017, 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Sun 14 May 2017, 9:23 pm

Sad

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 14 May 2017, 10:49 pm

jimbohammers wrote:Sad
Hug

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 14 May 2017, 11:42 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:
jimbohammers wrote:Sad
Hug
Hug cricket friends

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 15 May 2017, 12:30 am

We did enough to win this game twice. A magnificent seam bowling performance (with an utterly outstanding catch from Foakes) to have Hants 7 down for 80 odd after 23 overs. That should have been enough to do it but a battling and highly intelligent partnership between Bailey and Abbott ensured the visitors were still in with a chance at the interval. Add to that, we seem overly keen to use Borthwick with the ball. Having a sixth bowler in your ranks is very valuable but he needs to be good enough, just hoping he is doesn't make him so.

However, Sanga soon showed that any mid-innings anxieties were unfounded. A glorious exhibition. Not just the stroke play but the hunger shown in his aggressive running. Decent support as well from Stoneman and Burns. Don't know if anyone would have stopped Sanga today. Certainly not the fast but erratic Edwards. I was keen to see Crane but he was always on a hiding to nothing by the time he got on. He at least kept his head and didn't disgrace himself.

The rain interruption shortly before 6 o'clock turned out to be very brief but it seemed both sides by then were happy to call it off and shake hands on a Surrey win. Hants realised they weren't getting more than the one chance today.

PS Jimbo - your man Vince looked in top form from the off with a couple of lovely cover drives before suddenly falling to a delivery from Sam Curran that seemed to hold up.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 15 May 2017, 10:32 am

Guildford - on Borthwick is this another case of Batty not having enough faith in his own bowling? Cos he seems to not bowl his overs through and sometimes borthwick is bowling more than him
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by James100 Mon 15 May 2017, 10:45 am

As Guildford says, Surrey bowling yesterday was very good for the most part. The Currans bowled a couple of loose two over spells when they came back (got the Bailey/Abbott partnership off to a good start) but were otherwise good. Marker and Rampaul were impressive throughout. With the spinners, it seemed to me that Batty had expected to finish the game without needing them so had to bowl them both to get through some overs when it started to look like it could go the distance. Both spinners bowled a large number of full tosses.

For Hants, good bowling from Abbott, Dawson and Crane, but poor from Berg and, especially, Edwards. As usual Sangakkarra gave the impression of a village 2nds match where the first team's gun batsman had to leave early so dropped down to the 2s. My first time seeing Stoneman play and very impressed with what I saw.

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 15 May 2017, 11:00 am

Pleased that Meaker bowling well - historically he's quite often been a weak link in our attack in leaking runs at a tremendous rate. But he's very much on form at the moment (that ball to bowl Denly in previous match against Kent looked incredibly rapid).

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Mon 15 May 2017, 11:35 am

Thanks for the sympathy guys thumbsup

Guildford, Vince is in great form at the moment.
Although he often gets in these moods where he looks like he can score runs at will + it is easy and then all of a sudden gets out (as you probably saw when he played for England!)
I am pretty sure that is us out of the comp now after 2 straight defeats. That loss to Glamorgan on the Friday would have really hurt.

Surrey on the other hand looking good, mix of youth and experience + now with Roy returning a big boost

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 15 May 2017, 11:50 am

Hants have a modest but realistic chance of going through - ie if Hants beat Sussex and Gloucs beat Surrey.  In that scenario Hants would finish ahead of Sussex and Glam - and it's fairly likely that their goal difference would be better than Gloucs. So Hants would just need to get better goal difference than Surrey - which is entirely possible.

Weather could play a factor as it's looking likely there could be some rain around on Weds. Neither Gloucs nor Hants can go through if their matches are rained off. If Surrey are rained off then only Sussex can catch them, by beating Hants. If both the relevant matches rained off then Surrey go through. Complicated....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 15 May 2017, 3:00 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Hants have a modest but realistic chance of going through - ie if Hants beat Sussex and Gloucs beat Surrey.  In that scenario Hants would finish ahead of Sussex and Glam - and it's fairly likely that their goal difference would be better than Gloucs. So Hants would just need to get better goal difference than Surrey - which is entirely possible.

Weather could play a factor as it's looking likely there could be some rain around on Weds. Neither Gloucs nor Hants can go through if their matches are rained off. If Surrey are rained off then only Sussex can catch them, by beating Hants. If both the relevant matches rained off then Surrey go through. Complicated....

Hi Corporal - just to add to the complications and permutations, I think Sussex would qualify on goal difference if their game against Hants is rained off and we lose at Gloucs, right? Erm

Anyway, you're going to need to be doing overtime on Weather Watch the next few days! Wink

Going back to your other post, I'll say again that I like Meaker. Although he can be expensive when his radar's off, it currently seems better tuned and he does make things happen with his extra pace. I wouldn't want two of him in the same limited overs side but the one seems a handy addition and something a bit different. He's also a more than decent fielder - good catch to get Alsop, he had to make ground and then judge the take as the ball had been high and swirling, don't think that's reflected in the highlights. If we get to the semis, he'll probably be back on the bench when Dernbach is fit to return - whilst still wanting Dernbach in the team, I'm not sure that dropping Meaker would be my call.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 15 May 2017, 3:05 pm

James100 wrote:

... As usual Sangakkarra gave the impression of a village 2nds match where the first team's gun batsman had to leave early so dropped down to the 2s. ...
clap Very Happy Perfect description.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 15 May 2017, 3:25 pm

Right. These are (I think) the full permutations:

Surrey - will qualify if they win; will also qualify if their match is rained off and Sussex don't win
Sussex - will qualify if they win, providing Surrey don't win; would also qualify if they are rained off - provided Surrey lose and Gloucs don't beat Surrey so heavily that Gloucs overturn Sussex's considerable goal difference advantage over Gloucs
Hants - have to win to stand a chance; they also need Gloucs to beat Surrey but not to the extent of overturning Hants' current goal difference advantage over Gloucs.
Gloucs - can qualify if Hants beat Sussex, and if Gloucs beat Surrey sufficiently heavily to overturn their current adverse goal difference compared to Hants.  Gloucs can also qualify in the event of Hants/Sussex being rained off.  But in that case they would need - in beating Surrey - to improve their goal difference so that it was better than Sussex's.  
Glam - cannot qualify; although they could end up in joint third place with 8 points eg along with Gloucs and Hants, but their goal difference could not be the best of those teams on 8 points.

Right - there'll be a test later! Wink

Last edited by Corporalhumblebucket on Mon 15 May 2017, 8:58 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : additional scenario for Gloucs going through)

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 15 May 2017, 3:53 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Guildford - on Borthwick is this another case of Batty not having enough faith in his own bowling? Cos he seems to not bowl his overs through and sometimes borthwick is bowling more than him

Following on from James' reply, Batty appeared to alternate between going for the kill with seam and using his and Borthwick's spin to close down the runs. In the process, he achieved neither and enabled the Bailey and Abbott partnership to get off the ground.

I can't really say how much faith Batty has in his own bowling but he does seem too keen imo to give Borthwick a bowl. As I've said before, having an extra bowler can be extremely useful BUT he needs to be good enough. I'm not sure that Borthwick is at this stage. Although he wasn't dreadfully expensive, he applied little pressure which allowed the batsmen to settle and throw the bat against the seamers late on.

My own view at the time when Hants were 89/7 off 23 would have been to continue with Rampaul and Meaker. Assuming he was ok to keep going, I would have bowled Rampaul out (think he had bowled 7 on the reel with 3/22 when he was taken off then). If the breakthrough hadn't come, I would have used Batty as the principal 5th bowler with perhaps a couple of overs from Borthwick. Imo, Batty shouldn't rule out the possibility of Borthwick bowling but it should only be on an occasional basis. Regarding Borthwick's bowling as anything more than that is wrong as far as I'm concerned and Batty does need to take more personal responsibility with the ball.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 16 May 2017, 11:10 am

Going a bit beyond this thread - but weather forecast for tomorrow currently looking like total washout for Hants/Sussex match at Southampton - and quite likely washout or at least severe interference with Gloucs/Surrey match at Bristol.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Tue 16 May 2017, 9:03 pm

Indeed.... Hants match is likely to be totally washed out... great news for the allotment! Yahoo

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down