The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY VS SOMERSET/HAMPSHIRE ROYAL LONDON CUP

+2
guildfordbat
jimbobgooner
6 posters

Go down

SURREY VS SOMERSET/HAMPSHIRE ROYAL LONDON CUP Empty SURREY VS SOMERSET/HAMPSHIRE ROYAL LONDON CUP

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 17 May 2018, 4:33 pm

Surrey have named a 13-man squad for their opening Royal London One-Day Cup match against Somerset at the Kia Oval on Friday.
Will Jacks and Freddie van den Bergh could be in line for their maiden first-team appearances of the county season while all of the other eleven have already featured at some point in red-ball matches.
Mark Stoneman is unavailable for selection after it was announced he would be part of the England Test squad for the opening match of the summer, starting at Lord’s next Thursday.
Jason Roy and Tom Curran are still involved in the Indian Premier League for Delhi Daredevils and Kolkata Knight Riders respectively.
Seamers Matt Dunn, Conor McKerr and Morne Morkel are all currently unavailable too through injury.
There is no place in the squad for Amar Virdi.
The full squad is as follows:
Rory Burns (captain)
Gareth Batty
Scott Borthwick
Rikki Clarke
Sam Curran
Jade Dernbach
Dean Elgar
Ben Foakes (wicket keeper)
Will Jacks
Stuart Meaker
Ryan Patel
Ollie Pope
Freddie van den Bergh
Possibly burger van and patel to miss out, hard one to call  Headscratch
and who to open with Borthwick?  Erm
Over to you chaps  thumbsup

Last edited by jimbobgooner on Sun 20 May 2018, 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS SOMERSET/HAMPSHIRE ROYAL LONDON CUP Empty Re: SURREY VS SOMERSET/HAMPSHIRE ROYAL LONDON CUP

Post by guildfordbat Thu 17 May 2018, 6:40 pm

Cheers, JimBob.

It's ridiculous that Stoneman isn't permitted to play when the Test doesn't start until next Thursday.

My guess is that Patel will play and that two of Meaker, Jacks and Burger Van will miss out. Maybe Meaks and Burgers on drinks duty.

You seem confident, JimBob, that Borthwick will open - I hope to god you are talking about the batting! Wink In any case, I think the Badger might bat at 3 tomorrow as he's done in the Championship. Besides Borthwick, there are a few options to bat at 1 and 2 - Burns, Elgar and, if they play, Patel and Jacks.

Going along tomorrow. Looks like we'll be lucky again with the weather.

PS I hear Dunn isn't too bad and should be available again in the next week or so. He was hit by a ball - although that's not great, it's much better than an internal body injury.

Last edited by guildfordbat on Thu 17 May 2018, 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot option of Patel opening the batting.)

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS SOMERSET/HAMPSHIRE ROYAL LONDON CUP Empty Re: SURREY VS SOMERSET/HAMPSHIRE ROYAL LONDON CUP

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 17 May 2018, 11:16 pm

only saying Borthwick, Guildford because he opened in 3 of the games last year

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 17 May 2018, 11:32 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:only saying Borthwick, Guildford because he opened in 3 of the games last year

It's certainly a possibility on Friday, JimBob- I'm just not sure it'll happen.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by James100 Fri 18 May 2018, 5:49 am

Haven't been around much the last week because of work but was very happy to see a comprehensive win against Yorkshire. It's early to say but Sam Curran seems to be a much improved bowler over last year.

For this game, I'd go with Jacks to miss out as well as one of van den Bergh and Meaker.

Elgar
Borthwick
Burns
Pope
Foakes
Patel

then the bowlers. I'd probably pick van den Bergh ahead of Meaker because of Sam Curran's poor form with the bat.

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 18 May 2018, 10:38 am

Surrey team is

Burns
Elgar
Borthwick
Foakes
Pope
Jacks
Curran S
Clarke
Batty
Meaker
Dernbach

Surrey will bat (no idea if that is the batting order - but it's my guess at it!)
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 18 May 2018, 11:57 am

Awful start decision to bat Borthwick at 7 is madness

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 18 May 2018, 12:36 pm

Could be going better this...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 18 May 2018, 12:48 pm

Truly pathetic

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 18 May 2018, 5:31 pm

Feeble.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 20 May 2018, 4:15 pm

same squad for Hampshire tomorrow
sky sports will be showing the game live

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 20 May 2018, 4:34 pm

Thanks, JimBob. I would guess Patel to replace Meaker with Burger Van again parked up.

If we lose tomorrow, we're really going to be struggling. We were stuffed so heavily by Somerset, our net run rate must be almost off the minus scale!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 21 May 2018, 1:34 pm

unchanged eleven
coach giving them all one more chance

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 21 May 2018, 1:35 pm

Jason roy is back for the Gloucestershire game on Wednesday so need to win this

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 21 May 2018, 1:37 pm

surrey win toss and bat

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 21 May 2018, 1:40 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:unchanged eleven

A brave decision or a cop out? I guess we'll soon find out.

You watching on Sky, JimBob?

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 21 May 2018, 1:48 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
jimbobgooner wrote:unchanged eleven

A brave decision or a cop out? I guess we'll soon find out.

You watching on Sky, JimBob?
will try Guildford if I can get the remote out of mrs jimbob's hands Laugh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 21 May 2018, 2:32 pm

the batting order is so wrong picard

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 21 May 2018, 2:51 pm

Jacks gone. A harder shot but a similar dismissal to Friday, caught at short cover off a quickish medium pacer. Bl**ding obvious but he needs to get the ball over the man or keep it on the deck.

Not a bad effort from Jacks in only his second game but I remain some way from being sold on Surrey's line up and order.

Btw, short boundaries today which should mean more than usual for a par score.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Mon 21 May 2018, 3:12 pm

Heavy rain and storms, 10 miles from Southampton... Rolling Eyes

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 21 May 2018, 3:53 pm

The rain holding off atm but Surrey having less success with Crane. 3 top order wickets now for the leg spinner as the visitors total 153/4 in the 29th.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 21 May 2018, 3:57 pm

157/4 after 30. A useful looking strike run rate but you have to allow for the small boundaries and our having lost at least 1 wicket too many.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 21 May 2018, 4:18 pm

177/5 after 34 as Sam Curran's poor form with the bat continues. More ambitious than realistic imo to have him at 6 in the order.

Quick rising ball from Edwards to have the teenager caught behind. Mrs Bat thinks Edwards is a chucker - I don't agree but (for once Wink ) I understand where she's coming from!

If Elgar or Borthwick fall soon, we're going to be in serious trouble. Admittedly, we have some runs on the board already but 300 looks a minimum total here.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 21 May 2018, 5:13 pm

the usual collapse again Rolling Eyes

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 21 May 2018, 6:13 pm

Silly decision by Surrey to bat first. They knew the rain was going to come, which meant DLS was always going to be a factor.

DLS favours the chasing side, massively. More rain on the way soon, so Hampshire are going to have a fairly simple chase over 25-35 overs.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 21 May 2018, 6:18 pm

Borthwick showing why he shouldn't be batting at 7 mad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 21 May 2018, 7:23 pm

There we go: 227 to get in 34 overs. 6.67 an over. An absolute doddle.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 21 May 2018, 7:47 pm

Dernbach bowling pies here
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 21 May 2018, 8:00 pm

Not looking good. I appreciate Duty's take but we never seemed to have enough runs when batting on that small pitch (a ''postage stamp'' - Atherton) and nearly always seemed to have lost a wicket too many.

Going out now. Hoping but not really believing we can turn it round. We'll almost certainly need 10 wickets for a win and that seems a long way off.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 21 May 2018, 9:51 pm

Sam Curran ain’t had a good game
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Mon 21 May 2018, 10:03 pm

I think we were on the right side of DL in that one.. Still Surrey did win the toss and choose to bat first...!

I have to ask why your opening batsman is bowling in front of Meaker? Headscratch

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 21 May 2018, 10:25 pm

jimbohammers wrote:I think we were on the right side of DL in that one.. Still Surrey did win the toss and choose to bat first...!

I have to ask why your opening batsman is bowling in front of Meaker? Headscratch
don't think we trust him anymore jimbo

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 21 May 2018, 11:08 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:
jimbohammers wrote:I think we were on the right side of DL in that one.. Still Surrey did win the toss and choose to bat first...!

don't think we trust him anymore jimbo

The real surprise for me is that Meaker was picked today. He's struggled terribly for any form this calendar year. So far in 2018 he's now played 5 first class matches (3 for Auckland shortly before this English season started and 2 for Surrey) plus 2 RL50 games for Surrey for a combined return of 1/407.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by James100 Tue 22 May 2018, 2:03 pm

Roy added to the squad for Wednesday's game. I assume he comes in for Jacks and then ven den Bergh or Patel replaces Meaker

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down