The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE ROYAL LONDON CUP

+5
Good Golly I'm Olly
jimbohammers
guildfordbat
James100
SimonofSurrey
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE ROYAL LONDON CUP  Empty SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE ROYAL LONDON CUP

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 15 Jun - 12:03

SURREY HAVE NAMED A THIRTEEN MAN SQUAD FOR THEIR ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP GAME AGAINST HAMPSHIRE AT THE AGEAS BOWL ON WEDNESDAY.
Gary Wilson is unavailable for selection due to Ireland’s two One Day Internationals this week against Sri Lanka but Sam Curran returns to the squad. Very Happy
The Surrey squad to play Hampshire in the Royal London One Day Cup at the Ageas Bowl on Wednesday 15th June:
Gareth Batty (capt)
Zafar Ansari
James Burke
Rory Burns
Sam Curran
Tom Curran
Steven Davies
Ben Foakes
Stuart Meaker
Mathew Pillans
Ravi Rampaul
Jason Roy
Kumar Sangakkara
Burke and Meaker to miss out for me
over to you chaps thumbsup

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE ROYAL LONDON CUP  Empty Re: SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE ROYAL LONDON CUP

Post by SimonofSurrey Wed 15 Jun - 12:08

Thanks for the thread, jimbob. I agree with the omission of Burke but would choose Meaker over Pillans every day of the week at the mo'. They both tend to leak runs, but only one of them regularly takes wickets as well. And with Sam C coming back into the team, we don't need the biff down the order that Pillans gives over Meaker.

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE ROYAL LONDON CUP  Empty Re: SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE ROYAL LONDON CUP

Post by James100 Wed 15 Jun - 12:12

Agree with Simon. With 6 frontline bowlers, we can afford to have Meaker as a wicket taker even if he may go for a few runs

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 15 Jun - 12:35

Burke and Pillans to miss out for me also. Noticeable though that there was a lot of support for ''Matty P'' from the players yesterday.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 15 Jun - 13:38

Burns and Pillans drop out through sickness. Harinath and Kapil called ito squad from seconds' game.

Odd, bl**dy odd.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 15 Jun - 13:40

surrey win toss Wink and will bowl

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 15 Jun - 13:43

guildfordbat wrote:Burns and Pillans drop out through sickness. Harinath and Kapil called ito squad from seconds' game.

Odd, bl**dy odd.
something at lunch maybe Erm

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 15 Jun - 13:48

harinath and baby face start

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Wed 15 Jun - 14:00

Afternoon guys,

Not confident for this one (again) even more so that we have lost the toss.
No Afridi today , does he have it in his contract that he can't play against Surrey? Ha ha

Regarding weather, we're going to be on and off all day.

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 15 Jun - 14:02

afternoon jimbo what did you put in our food Laugh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Wed 15 Jun - 14:17

Whistle

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Wed 15 Jun - 14:36

Alsop dropped on 18 by Sam Curran

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 15 Jun - 14:57

Vince gone was looking good - Hampshire are going along nicely Surrey will need the spinners to put the squeeze on in the middle overs
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 15 Jun - 14:58

jimbohammers wrote:Alsop dropped on 18 by Sam Curran
Doh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Wed 15 Jun - 15:00

Vince gone thumbsdown

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 15 Jun - 15:15

JimBob - given the Baron and Kapil got down from Coventry in time for this game, I don't think we can blame Jimbo H for poisoning the pre-match lunch! Smile

Please don't tell me it was over indulgence last night. Rolling Eyes

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Wed 15 Jun - 15:59

Very Happy

Alsop gets his 3rd consecutive 50. Has looked impressive since making his debut.

Ervine with him at the crease on 46. These 2 need to push on now, because with our bowing 'attack' we are going to need a lot of runs!

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 15 Jun - 16:05

Hants going well. 173/2 off 31.

We really need to separate young Tommy Alsop (I know Jimbo H rates him, he's showing why today) and Sean Ervine. The Hants radio guys reckon Ervine is the one most likely to tear us apart and if we get him, others won't be so dangerous. Maybe so but a wicket seems hard to find atm.

The 6 Surrey bowlers all going at around 5 or 6 per over. Not terrible but not really good enough given the lack of wickets. I do have a horrible suspicion they thought they just needed to show up today to roll Hants over ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 15 Jun - 16:07

And with that Super Jinx played - TC gets Ervine! Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 15 Jun - 16:50

baby face's drop proving costly Sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 15 Jun - 17:00

Surrey fighting back well at the end of the innings
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 15 Jun - 17:33

fear 290 to chase will be too much

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Wed 15 Jun - 17:38

A good effort by us to get up to the 289. Great knock by Alsop. (As Guildford says, I rate him highly)

With our bowling 'attack' we're probable 20-30 short

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 15 Jun - 17:42

Not too sanguine about our chances unless two of Roy, Davies or Sanga get really big scores. Remarkable similarity in the economy rates of our six bowlers - ranging between 5.2 (Tom Curran) to 6.83 (Meaker).

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Wed 15 Jun - 17:49

jimbobgooner wrote:fear 290 to chase will be too much

The way we've been playing this season, you wouldn't put money on us chasing this down. But if we bat sensibly, there's no reason we can't. Hants failed to defend 310 against Essex here the other day, radio commentators say the pitch looks a belter and we got ourselves out of huge hole when they were 185-2 with more than a third of their overs to go. Roy and Sanga owe us a big score, having flattered too often with cameos so far this season in one-day games, others are due to chip in significantly too (cough, Interesting).

Glass half full: time for another chase like the Sussex game, ideally without any mid-innings wobble this time.

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 15 Jun - 17:56

Where this game stands now really backs up what Alec Stewart has been banging on about for some time (and I've been happy to repeat) - whilst a couple of 50s are obviously useful, they are not going to get us a win here. We need someone to come up with a big score. If no one comes close to matching Jimbo H's boy Alsop, I fear we'll be sunk.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 15 Jun - 18:00

Jimbo H - what's Hants' fielding like? I ask as imo that was the real difference between us and Sussex yesterday. For once, we were top notch (Corporal and Surrey boys - listen to Church on the highlights as catches keep getting taken out of camera view!) whilst the Sharks were rank.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 15 Jun - 18:13

interesting goes for 0 furious

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by kingdaveeagle Wed 15 Jun - 18:30

jimbobgooner wrote:interesting goes for 0 furious

Carrying on his excellent run of form.

kingdaveeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 15 Jun - 18:45

46 - 1 after 9 overs. Roy and Sanga, on 20 apiece, repairing the damage.  No fireworks yet

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Wed 15 Jun - 18:56

guildfordbat wrote:Jimbo H - what's Hants' fielding like? I ask as imo that was the real difference between us and Sussex yesterday. For once, we were top notch (Corporal and Surrey boys - listen to Church on the highlights as catches keep getting taken out of camera view!) whilst the Sharks were rank.

Guildford, we're normally pretty sharp in the field apart from yesterday where we were sloppy. Our 'close fielders' Vince, Dawson, Adams and Smith are decent.

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Wed 15 Jun - 19:00

The big thing in this game is how you play our spinners, Crane and Dawson. Players with class like Roy and Sanga shouldn't have any problems against our 'doddlers' Ervine, Andrew and Berg.

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 15 Jun - 19:02

right on cue jimbo kumar goes to andrew picard

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 15 Jun - 19:04

roy gone start the car

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 15 Jun - 19:44

109 - 4 Foakes and Ansari digging in, but in rebuilding innings we are getting some way behind the asking rate.  At last Foakes hits Crane for 6 - we need a few more boundaries to get some momentum.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 15 Jun - 20:03

Nice little partnership building, with Foakes continuing his good form from yesterday.  But Ansari struggling to get his scoring rate much above 50, and has yet to hit a boundary after facing 54 balls.  Required run rate almost 8 an over.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 15 Jun - 20:27

Parnership passes 100 and these two have increased the tempo recently to prevent the required run rate passing 8 an over.

A second 50 in two days for Foakes clap

And now 50 to Ansari.   clap

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 15 Jun - 20:38

200-4, 90 required off 12 overs
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 15 Jun - 20:46

Ansari falls for 62 - just short of his list A best - after excellent partnership of 130.  clap  Sam Curran next up.  (Recently Surrey have sent in Tom ahead of Sam, for no very obvious reason.) 

Meanwhile Foakes has achieved his list A highest score, beating yesterday's effort, but with the fall of Ansari's wicket the required rate has risen to 8.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 15 Jun - 21:16

35 needed from four overs.  Currans have kept us in with an outside chance, but with the run rate needed just under 9 we'll need some boundaries to win from here.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 15 Jun - 21:22

26 needed from 3 overs - just feel Surrey lack that lower order power hitter in these situations
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 15 Jun - 21:29

Sam Curran falls for 42, (equalling his highest list A score).  A fine innings. clap  16 needed off last two overs, with new batsman Batty at the crease.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 15 Jun - 21:32

Only five singles off the penultimate over, from Best.  Not really enough.  11 needed off the last over, with Batty to face.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 15 Jun - 21:38

Exceptional effort by the lower middle order to get us close - but ultimately too much to make up from the top order failures
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 15 Jun - 21:44

Flurry of wickets see Surrey fall just six runs short.  It was always going to be a struggle after the top four failed to make a substantial contribution. A pity that Sam Curran was out, as he seemed to have the ability to hit fairly regular boundaries, and with another couple we would probably have eased home reasonably comfortably. 

Well played Hants.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 15 Jun - 23:25

As before.

To win chasing the best part of 300, you normally need one of your top 4 to really come up with the goods and not be looking to the others to make up for them.

Well done to Hants. We might tend to not think too much of the likes of Berg and Andrew but they were better than us, at least today when it mattered.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 15 Jun - 23:53

how we could have done with Pillans coming in at 9

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 15 Jun - 23:58

badly missed burns and sibley Sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Thu 16 Jun - 11:20

Corp, Guildford OK

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by James100 Thu 16 Jun - 13:31

Sad for Surrey to lose, but a really good game and just reinforces my thoughts that the "50 over cricket is bad" people are wrong. There was good and bad cricket on both sides, shifting momentum that you wouldn't see in a T20, and eventually the best team won in the final over. The kind of game that makes me sad that T20 cricket has taken over as the dominant one-day format.

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next