The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE ROYAL LONDON CUP

+5
Good Golly I'm Olly
jimbohammers
guildfordbat
James100
SimonofSurrey
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE ROYAL LONDON CUP  - Page 2 Empty SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE ROYAL LONDON CUP

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 15 Jun 2016, 12:03 pm

First topic message reminder :

SURREY HAVE NAMED A THIRTEEN MAN SQUAD FOR THEIR ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP GAME AGAINST HAMPSHIRE AT THE AGEAS BOWL ON WEDNESDAY.
Gary Wilson is unavailable for selection due to Ireland’s two One Day Internationals this week against Sri Lanka but Sam Curran returns to the squad. Very Happy
The Surrey squad to play Hampshire in the Royal London One Day Cup at the Ageas Bowl on Wednesday 15th June:
Gareth Batty (capt)
Zafar Ansari
James Burke
Rory Burns
Sam Curran
Tom Curran
Steven Davies
Ben Foakes
Stuart Meaker
Mathew Pillans
Ravi Rampaul
Jason Roy
Kumar Sangakkara
Burke and Meaker to miss out for me
over to you chaps thumbsup

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE ROYAL LONDON CUP  - Page 2 Empty Re: SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE ROYAL LONDON CUP

Post by kingdaveeagle Thu 16 Jun 2016, 1:47 pm

James100 wrote:Sad for Surrey to lose, but a really good game and just reinforces my thoughts that the "50 over cricket is bad" people are wrong. There was good and bad cricket on both sides, shifting momentum that you wouldn't see in a T20, and eventually the best team won in the final over. The kind of game that makes me sad that T20 cricket has taken over as the dominant one-day format.

I still miss the John Player League on BBC2 on a Sunday afternoon!

kingdaveeagle

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE ROYAL LONDON CUP  - Page 2 Empty Re: SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE ROYAL LONDON CUP

Post by LondonTiger Thu 16 Jun 2016, 2:58 pm

Ah, the good old JPL. Restricted bowler run-ups (15 yds?), John Arlott, Jim Laker, Peter West; Barry Richards, Mike Procor, Viv Richards etc

Those were the days - though today's audience would find the slow scoring tedious (200 in 40 overs was deemed very good iirc).

The problem with 50 over cricket is that it takes all day, which for the MTV generations is far too much of a time investment, without the real swings you get from tests. Soon though T20 will overhaul test cricket as the pre-eminent form - sadly.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Thu 16 Jun 2016, 6:54 pm

Yup, the JPL 40 over league, with all games starting at 2pm on Sundays. I reckon it's a formula that would work today. And John Arlott's commentary - Tim Lamb opened the bowling one time and went for plenty in his first two overs. Third over from that end and the inevitable bowling change: 'Arrr, now [the captain] has decided he can't afford Lamb as a luxury any more ... (very long pause) ... not even with mint sauce.' Priceless

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2