The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY VS MIDDLESEX, SURREY VS SUSSEX ROYAL LONDON CUP

+3
guildfordbat
James100
jimbobgooner
7 posters

Go down

SURREY VS MIDDLESEX, SURREY VS SUSSEX  ROYAL LONDON CUP  Empty SURREY VS MIDDLESEX, SURREY VS SUSSEX ROYAL LONDON CUP

Post by jimbobgooner Thu May 04, 2017 5:16 pm

SURREY HAVE NAMED THE SAME 13 MAN SQUAD FOR TOMORROW’S DERBY GAME AGAINST MIDDLESEX IN THE ROYAL LONDON ONE DAY CUP
FULL SURREY SQUAD
Gareth Batty
Scott Borthwick
Rory Burns
Sam Curran
Tom Curran
Jade Dernbach
Ben Foakes
Stuart Meaker
Ollie Pope
Ravi Rampaul
Kumar Sangakkara
Dominic Sibley
Mark Stoneman
Can't see Pope getting a game just yet so ravioli or Meaker neither inspire confidence
Over to you chaps thumbsup

Last edited by jimbobgooner on Sat May 06, 2017 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS MIDDLESEX, SURREY VS SUSSEX  ROYAL LONDON CUP  Empty Re: SURREY VS MIDDLESEX, SURREY VS SUSSEX ROYAL LONDON CUP

Post by James100 Thu May 04, 2017 5:51 pm

Sibley and Burns need runs or Pope could well come in next match. Rampaul had decent figures last match so I'd back him to keep his place.

James100

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS MIDDLESEX, SURREY VS SUSSEX  ROYAL LONDON CUP  Empty Re: SURREY VS MIDDLESEX, SURREY VS SUSSEX ROYAL LONDON CUP

Post by guildfordbat Thu May 04, 2017 7:20 pm

Thanks, JimBob.

Batting let us down on Tuesday. Give it another chance or shake it up now? Sibley being dropped with Burns opening and the Pope coming into the middle order would be my choice. Think that's possible although ''same eleven again'' is probably most likely.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by James100 Fri May 05, 2017 11:59 am

Sibley and Dernbach miss out (I assume Dernbach is injured)

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri May 05, 2017 1:55 pm

At the ground some of the fielding has been shocking to say the least

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri May 05, 2017 3:29 pm

Dernbach has a bank injury
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Fri May 05, 2017 3:36 pm

Too much money, Olly?

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri May 05, 2017 3:47 pm

jimbohammers wrote:Too much money, Olly?
Laugh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri May 05, 2017 4:32 pm

Oops - back injury!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri May 05, 2017 10:08 pm

A much needed win and a good to very good performance today.

Rampaul seems well suited to this format. No great pace but nagging away accurately on or just outside off peg. That resulted in Compton edging one behind and three other Middlesex batters spooning catches to the outfielders as they failed to properly connect.

All the other main bowlers did their job and were amongst the wickets. I like Meaker. He was the fastest bowler of both sides by some way and, as Alec Stewart said last year, ''He makes things happen.'' Although the ball that got Voges caught behind was high and legside, the delivery was so quick and menacing it gave him no time to react properly.

The only disappointment was Borthwick's bowling. A sixth bowler is very valuable to the team but he needs to have some reliability. Today Borthwick was expensive and sent down too much dross.

Surrey's fielding could have been sharper early doors although I wouldn't be as severe as JimBob's earlier post. Some good catches taken near the rope whilst Foakes once more almost went unnoticed with another immaculate performance.

The shame about our batting was that Borthwick and Sanga both fell to the part-time leg spin of Malan. He was rightly clobbered in his first over but our men then seemed too keen in wanting to get on with it and got themselves out. Up to the time of his dismissal Sanga looked in total control whilst Borthwick's knock was sometimes scratchy. A few anxious moments for the crowd when we went 3 down with some way over a 100 still needed but Burns and Foakes steadied the ship and played with increasing aggression as the victory target got in sight.

I see that Burns and Foakes get the headlines in the cricinfo report. I can understand that but my MotM is Rampaul. He played the biggest part in restricting Middlesex to a below par score which paved the way for the batsmen to see us home.

For Middlesex, decent knocks from Gubbins and Simpson but they lost wickets too regularly to put us under a lot of pressure. With the ball, we - for once - stood up well to our old adversaries Toblerone Jones and Rayner. The former was the best of the visiting bowlers but their seamers appeared quite samey and lacking much pace.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri May 05, 2017 11:03 pm

Guildford what did you think of Helm? He got some rave reviews with the Lions over the winter and has been pegged as "one to watch"
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri May 05, 2017 11:09 pm

I got to the match today as well.  Must say that I thought our fielding was largely OK and I think we took all our chances with the exception of a difficult skier that Pope could not quite reach.  For some while Middlesex looked on for at least 280 and maybe 300+ with Gubbins and then Simpson batting really well.  But Surrey did very well little by little to rein in the scoring rate.  Rampaul has a most bizarre bowling action but it did the trick today and he would be my MoM.

Our batting was consistently good after the early loss of Rocky Stoneman. Shame about careless dismissals of both Borthwick and Sanga but Burns and Foakes did a fine job in moving along the scoring once they settled themselves in.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri May 05, 2017 11:12 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Guildford what did you think of Helm? He got some rave reviews with the Lions over the winter and has been pegged as "one to watch"

Helm started well but I can't say he looked all that threatening after initial two or three overs. But I bow to Guildford's greater expertise on the subject... Wink

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat May 06, 2017 1:00 am

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Guildford what did you think of Helm? He got some rave reviews with the Lions over the winter and has been pegged as "one to watch"

Helm started well but I can't say he looked all that threatening after initial two or three overs. But I bow to Guildford's greater expertise on the subject... Wink

Hi Olly - I just tracked down that I first saw Helm playing in a seconds 3 day game for Middlesex against Surrey at Guildford in 2013. He took a couple of wickets in each innings and I described him then as ''looking sharp''.

As for today, I'm with the Corporal. He started well and could have had Borthwick caught at slip early on. However, after that, there didn't seem to be that much of a threat. Truth be told, other than the knocks from Gubbins and Simpson, Middlesex as a whole were pretty disappointing.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat May 06, 2017 5:39 pm

Same 13 for Sussex
Only change for me would be Jade (if fully fit) for Meaker
Would be hard to drop his holiness just for poor fielding Wink

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun May 07, 2017 11:41 am

Sanga and Jade both out due to injury - so Sibley comes in for Sanga

We've bowled first - but with that huge blow to the batting, you gotta think anything over 250 is gonna be tough to chase
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun May 07, 2017 12:09 pm

Sibley for Sanga isn't much of a difference.eh?! Wink

Two former Surrey academy players in the Sussex team - Laurie Evans (he got a ton last time out) who was never given a fair chance by Adams and keeper/batsman Mike Burgess. Burgess never made the firsts with us but has been plugging away (Loughborough MCCU, Leics and now Sussex) to stay in the game. I saw him keep tidily enough in a seconds game at Guildford and then heard him inside the pavilion swearing like a very loud trooper when out in a run chase! Smile

Important we win this game. Only the top 3 teams in the two groups can forward to the next stage. At the half-way point of our Southern group, the signs are it could be us or Sussex fighting for third place.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun May 07, 2017 1:25 pm

Not looking good chaps only ravioli going at under 5
Will definitely need 300 plus today Sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun May 07, 2017 1:57 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:Not looking good chaps only ravioli going at under 5
Will definitely need 300 plus today Sad

Certainly looks like it! 157/2 off 30. They could double that total if we don't get half a dozen more wickets.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun May 07, 2017 2:07 pm

Borthwick bowling 0/31 off 7, surprisingly respectable. Keep him on or not? I would stick, don't twist.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun May 07, 2017 2:09 pm

Nice surprise from Borthwick today after buffet bowling Friday Smile

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun May 07, 2017 3:00 pm

Christ awful over from TC 24 off it picard

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun May 07, 2017 3:24 pm

301 to win Erm

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun May 07, 2017 3:36 pm

Just going from cricinfo, 301 without Sanga seems too much.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun May 07, 2017 3:54 pm

Without Roy, Kumar and Dernbach it was always going to be a tough ask

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun May 07, 2017 4:22 pm

Sibley to the crease

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun May 07, 2017 4:56 pm

Third degree to the crease

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun May 07, 2017 5:10 pm

50 for rocky clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun May 07, 2017 5:27 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:50 for rocky clap

Yes ... but gone for 60.

220 all out off 42 looks a lot more likely from here than a Surrey win.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun May 07, 2017 5:39 pm

Start the car

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun May 07, 2017 5:52 pm

Why did Borthwick open?

Gonna need the Pope to call on a favour from his mate above if we're gonna win this one...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun May 07, 2017 6:39 pm

50 for his holiness the only positive clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun May 07, 2017 6:51 pm

99 needed off the last 10. With 8 wickets in hand, we would have a decent chance. However, we only have 2 wickets left ... get ready to water the allotment, Chichester!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun May 07, 2017 7:15 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
jimbobgooner wrote:50 for rocky clap

Yes ... but gone for 60.

220 all out off 42 looks a lot more likely from here than a Surrey win.

205 all out in the 42nd so not far off ... me, I mean, not Surrey! Wink Always very difficult without our best bowler (in this format) and batter (any format). Defeat seemed near inevitable once Foakes was out and we went 5 down when I posted as above.

Decent effort by the Pope but we really needed him riding shotgun with someone like Rocky rather than having to effectively go it alone. The Currans both seem a place too high in the order atm.

Going to be very difficult to qualify for the later stages from here (3 defeats in 5 games). The winner of the group gets an automatic semi-final place whilst the second and third placed teams have play-offs with 2 of the top 3 from the Northern group. You get nothing for a 4th ... not in this game! Very Happy

We can't be far away from giving Virdi and/or Freddie a game.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun May 07, 2017 7:30 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Why did Borthwick open?

Gonna need the Pope to call on a favour from his mate above if we're gonna win this one...

He opened with Stoneman against Essex when Sibley was dropped. I'm not 100% sure but I think they opened together at times last season for Durham.

I know he's got some runs already this season but I'm not as yet fully convinced by Borthwick's batting. Bit scratchy and not that fluent. Noticeable contrast with Stoneman who looks in control from the off.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Sun May 07, 2017 11:24 pm

Cheers Surrey Laugh SURREY VS MIDDLESEX, SURREY VS SUSSEX  ROYAL LONDON CUP  3559488474

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon May 08, 2017 12:39 am

raspberry boxing mad furious thumbsdown steam censored

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down