The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has Murray Really Got A Knee Injury?

+6
Danny_1982
Calder106
banbrotam
JuliusHMarx
CaledonianCraig
hawkeye
10 posters

Go down

Has Murray Really Got A Knee Injury? Empty Has Murray Really Got A Knee Injury?

Post by hawkeye Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:16 am

Murray has just withdrawn after playing one match in Toronto citing a knee injury. From what I've read it is nothing serious and he is expected to be ok again in a few day in order to play in Cincinnati. Speculation is that he also collected a fat cheque for making an appearance.

Of course none of us know how seriously injured Murray's knee is but with this withdrawal it is obvious that any player can do the same with no questions asked. All the talk of players being obliged to play in Masters tournaments for fear of harsh penalties being imposed is nonsense. If Murray can withdraw like this, collect his appearance fee and then play again in a few days time collecting another appearance fee so can all the other players. All they have to do is say they have a knee injury... a very small one.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Has Murray Really Got A Knee Injury? Empty Re: Has Murray Really Got A Knee Injury?

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:44 am

Well considering he got treatment from the trainer on it during his match V Cippola then I would say as per usual you are barking up the wrong tree. I do believe tournament officials can reserve the right to retract appearance fees if they do wish. In any case I do not think Andy would go to the trouble of missing the Olympic closing ceremony etc just for appearance money considering how much money he already had in his bank account.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Has Murray Really Got A Knee Injury? Empty Re: Has Murray Really Got A Knee Injury?

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:47 am

Perhaps Murray would have been better off taking the Tsonga/JMDP route - show up, play poorly (not on purpose, of course, who would suggest such a thing), collect check, leave, avoid hawkeye article.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:49 am

By the way HE, is this thread another example of how you only react to what other posters are saying about Murray, to 'redress the balance' on the forum? Laugh

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:50 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:Perhaps Murray would have been better off taking the Tsonga/JMDP route - show up, play poorly (not on purpose, of course, who would suggest such a thing), collect check, leave, avoid hawkeye article.

Laugh Laugh Laugh

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:53 am

Impossible to avoid a hawkeye anti - Murray post Julius. We still got them on the back of him winning Olympic Gold. picard
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:06 am

JuliusHMarx

Well in this case I was attempting to "redress the balance" by showing how Murray is given allowances on 606v2 that no other player has access to. Imagine if you replace Murray with Federer, Nadal or Djokovic in this story. Would you be suggesting the "Tsonga/JMPD" route for them? Especially if they withdrew before playing a young player who beat them in the previous match. There is also a serious issue here that I was highlighting if you are interested.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:18 am

hawkeye wrote:JuliusHMarx

Well in this case I was attempting to "redress the balance" by showing how Murray is given allowances on 606v2 that no other player has access to. Imagine if you replace Murray with Federer, Nadal or Djokovic in this story. Would you be suggesting the "Tsonga/JMPD" route for them? Especially if they withdrew before playing a young player who beat them in the previous match. There is also a serious issue here that I was highlighting if you are interested.

What I'm suggesting is that no-one here had a go at Tsonga/JMDP for their early departures i.e. they have also been given these 'special' allowances.
What's the serious issue?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:18 am

hawkeye wrote:JuliusHMarx

Well in this case I was attempting to "redress the balance" by showing how Murray is given allowances on 606v2 that no other player has access to. Imagine if you replace Murray with Federer, Nadal or Djokovic in this story. Would you be suggesting the "Tsonga/JMPD" route for them? Especially if they withdrew before playing a young player who beat them in the previous match

We'd be saying that it was pretty daft of them to enter in the first place. Which strangely, for your conspiracy theory mind, is exactly what I said about Murray

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:21 am

Think that the speculation regarding appearance fees may be just that. I picked this up from the ATP rule book for 2012 page 145 under heading Promotional Fees :

1) ATP World Tour 500, ATP World Tour 250 tournaments and World Team Championship
have the option to offer fees for promotional services. No other ATP World
Tour or ATP Challenger Tour tournament owner, operator, sponsor or agent is
permitted to offer, give or pay money or anything of value, nor shall the tournament
permit any other person or entity to offer, give or pay money or anything of
value to a player, directly or indirectly, to infl uence or assure a player’s competing
in a tournament, other than prize money, unless authorized to do so by the ATP.

I may be misunderstanding this but it reads to me that no appearnce fees are alllowed to be made for Masters 1000 events.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:25 am

Calder106 wrote:I may be misunderstanding this but it reads to me that no appearnce fees are alllowed to be made for Masters 1000 events.

Sugar!! That's yet another Hawkeye theory, heading for the shredder

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:37 am

The serious issue is that if players do not feel obliged to play if they are not injured in a tournament they have entered it makes a mockery of the whole calender. Of course with Murray we don't know but the speculation is that he just played a match but had no intention of putting much effort into the tournament. Of course this is just speculation and there is always the chance that he has a serious injury that will prevent him playing the US Open.

banbrotam

Why do you think Murray played in Toronto? He could have quite easily stayed in London soaked up the Olympic atmosphere and attended the closing ceremony. Federer withdrew from Toronto before the Olympic final. Murray could have easily said then he had a knee injury. If he is using the knee injury as a precaution that would have been more sensible and wouldn't have messed around with the Toronto tournaments schedule and left fans without a match to watch.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:46 am

No Hawkeye. Your main point was that he had gone to Toronto, picked up a large appearance fee, played one match and pulled out with a spurious injury. Therefore pocketing a large appearance fee for virtually nothing. That has been disproven, No good changing your main point (serious issue) now. You have been 'counter punched'

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:09 am

hawkeye wrote:Why do you think Murray played in Toronto?

Because, as he said a few days ago, he had too much respect for the event to make a late withdrawal. Presumably you admire this attitude, even if it was plainly daft

hawkeye wrote:Murray could have easily said then he had a knee injury

But he'd be telling blatant lies as he 'tweaked' his knee during the one match he played.

Do you think he should tell lies?

Of course you do - gives you another excuse for a hatchet job picard

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:31 am

Oh dear HE, oh dear.

Even if Murray has made up a convenient injury (which none of us could prove either way, so this article is speculative at absolute best) do you honestly think he's the first player to do this?

Murray looked absolutely shattered after his first match, and admitted afterwards that he had not slept or hit a tennis ball since the Olympic final. I suspect he woke up yesterday absolutely shattered, sore as hell after one match on a hard court and thought "I could hurt myself if I keep playing" and pulled out.

Not ideal for the tournament, but you could also argue "at least he tried" and question why others didn't. Of course, you would never take that perspective because you're Hawkeye and this is Murray.

If Nadal is out for the US open, are we going to have to suffer nothing but articles like this for the next 5 weeks? Can you please not take a similar dislike to someone else to add a bit of variety?

I mean that David Ferrer looks like a nasty horrible man, and apparently dislikes children and cute animals. Why not take up an irrational hatred of him?

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:43 am

Glad the appearance fee issue has been sorted.

No reason to think Murray hasn't got knee issues. He has always struggled with changing surfaces due to his bipartate patella. This is no secret. He showed up and had a go. Hopefully a bit of rest will help the knee and he can come back for Cinci.

As other posters have mentioned, there is a note of desperation to these articles. No-one was having a go at Del Po or Tsonga for going out in the first round. They turned up and had a go even with jet lag and exhaustion and fair play to them. The only 'special treatment' Murray appears to get is to be singled out for baseless vitriol by HE - very sad.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:05 am

Shall we actually give Murray credit for showing up and trying?

How about Nadal and his 'dodgy' knees? Is that really an injury?

How about Federer who declined in showing up? Nothing wrong health wise?

How about Djokovic who missed the Serbia Open? Was that legit?

Why not look at it like I have. This is a great opportunity for the rest of the field in his half of the draw. This is what posters wanted non? A little change.

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:16 am

No player is perfect...Nadal blew Halle after RG, it happens.
They are not robots and any appearance fee cant guarantee them actually being able to perform at the highest level.

The issue is the calendar not Murray. The top players cant win everything, by default they will tire if they keep getting to business ends...so times like these open up and new players get their chance, they just have to seize them!
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:18 am

Also the weather was a factor. I don't think Raonic and Murray would've got on court yesterday. It's a good day for Raonic who has a superb chance at making the final. I would like to see it and see what he has at a final of a Masters.

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:47 pm

I should not have planted the 'appearance fees' idea on a different thread into HE's head. Mea Culpa. Sorry

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:54 pm

It was a genuine and fair question LF Hug . Let's face it, if we all avoided saying anything that would set HE off, the board would be very quiet Laugh

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:07 pm

Calder106's ATP rule book quote makes sense and I should have checked. I still think there are other compensations and benefits for showing up, perhaps non-financial. Wink.

I need to check what Krajicek said re Rotterdam and it is a 250.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:59 pm

laverfan wrote: I still think there are other compensations and benefits for showing up, perhaps non-financial. Wink.

Free cake? cake
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down