The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

One Trick Wallabies?

+7
Pal Joey
Gunner
funnyExiledScot
chewed_mintie
Biltong
ScarletSpiderman
anotherworldofpain
11 posters

Go down

One Trick Wallabies? Empty One Trick Wallabies?

Post by anotherworldofpain Tue 14 Aug 2012, 12:25 pm

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/the-rugby-championship/wallabies-believe-they-have-right-gameplan-to-expose-all-blacks-centre-pairing-in-bledisloe-cup/story-e6frf4qc-1226449748285

"coach Robbie Deans had devised a clever plan to exploit any potential defensive weakness in the new Kiwi centre combination at ANZ Stadium."

Yawn.

From watching the Wales v Australia series and, to be honest every Wallabies game for a decade can we guess what this "cunning plan" might be?

Any takers for the combinator of the "inside ball", Ioane hitting midfield on the loop around Fa'inga, Barnes using a short chip out of defence and Gena dummying and sniping just wide of the 6 channel on alternate set moves?

I think when NZ crush Quade Cooper last year they turn the Wallabies into Biltong's Autobots.

Rinse, repeat.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

One Trick Wallabies? Empty Re: One Trick Wallabies?

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 14 Aug 2012, 12:40 pm

I guess that is a problem with Kiwi coaches they seem to turn teams into one-dimentional sides.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 14 Aug 2012, 12:45 pm

Yeah, these fancy pants kiwi coaches should just stay home. Have any actually been successful?

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 14 Aug 2012, 12:50 pm

AWOP, out of interest if we are the Neanderthals, what would the wallabies be? Whistle
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Tue 14 Aug 2012, 12:52 pm

ebop wrote:Yeah, these fancy pants kiwi coaches should just stay home. Have any actually been successful?

Yes they all don't make a good impact overseas, from Henry stint at Wales and with the Lions, Hansen ,Gatland, Kirwan and Martin Johnson have all failed to take their team to glory.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Tue 14 Aug 2012, 12:58 pm

Biltong wrote:AWOP, out of interest if we are the Neanderthals, what would the wallabies be? Whistle

Their forwards would certainly be Staypuft Marshmallow men. All big and threatening but apply a bit of heat and they'll melt quick enough!

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 14 Aug 2012, 1:02 pm

chewed_mintie wrote:
Biltong wrote:AWOP, out of interest if we are the Neanderthals, what would the wallabies be? Whistle

Their forwards would certainly be Staypuft Marshmallow men. All big and threatening but apply a bit of heat and they'll melt quick enough!
One Trick Wallabies? Smiley-laughing021

And their backs?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Tue 14 Aug 2012, 1:06 pm

Biltong wrote:
chewed_mintie wrote:

And their backs?

are slightly overrated in my opinion

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 14 Aug 2012, 1:08 pm

chewed_mintie wrote:
Biltong wrote:
chewed_mintie wrote:

And their backs?

are slightly overrated in my opinion

Yeah, but, but..... What would you call them?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 14 Aug 2012, 1:09 pm

Didn't Australia win the Tri-Nations last year - beating NZ in the final game?? Perhaps Deans is going something right.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Tue 14 Aug 2012, 1:11 pm

They played well against NZ in that final game, however I think NZ had turned their eyes to the WC....I'm not saying that they didn't want to win, but fielding a B team against SA the week before had a lot to do with stalling our momentum. It could have been over before the last game if we'd won in SA

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 14 Aug 2012, 1:12 pm

anotherworldofpain wrote:
ebop wrote:Yeah, these fancy pants kiwi coaches should just stay home. Have any actually been successful?

Yes they all don't make a good impact overseas, from Henry stint at Wales and with the Lions, Hansen ,Gatland, Kirwan and Martin Johnson have all failed to take their team to glory.
True, not pretty. Thought Johnson would have kicked on, legend!

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 14 Aug 2012, 1:16 pm

chewed_mintie wrote:They played well against NZ in that final game, however I think NZ had turned their eyes to the WC....I'm not saying that they didn't want to win, but fielding a B team against SA the week before had a lot to do with stalling our momentum. It could have been over before the last game if we'd won in SA

The Aussies still had to do the double over SA though, spanking them in the opening fixture and winning on the road in Durban. Not sure the ABs had anything to do with that?

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 14 Aug 2012, 1:16 pm

The Tri Nations last year is far removed now.

SA sent a team of plonkers to Oz and NZ for the away leg, NZ sent a second team to SA missing I think 6 or 7 of their first choice starters and OZ played their top team the whole tournament.

This year several of Australia's top players were injured for most of the Super XV and those that have come back aren't in any Noticable form.

SA will be a different animal even if the game plan hasn't evolved much, and even with JP Pietersen, Schalk Burger, Juan Smith etc not being there, they will be more motivated, more hungry, better coached, more intense and will be much better at execution.

The All Blacks will have one goal only and that is to win the inaugaral Quad Nations.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 14 Aug 2012, 1:19 pm

Biltong wrote:This year several of Australia's top players were injured for most of the Super XV and those that have come back aren't in any Noticable form.

This I do agree with, although despite the injuries and loss of form of several key players, the Aussies still managed to whitewash Wales.

Personally I think Deans does pretty well with what he has to work with. I'll stick my neck on the line with this - I'd take Deans over Hansen any day of the week.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 14 Aug 2012, 1:22 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
Biltong wrote:This year several of Australia's top players were injured for most of the Super XV and those that have come back aren't in any Noticable form.

This I do agree with, although despite the injuries and loss of form of several key players, the Aussies still managed to whitewash Wales.

Personally I think Deans does pretty well with what he has to work with. I'll stick my neck on the line with this - I'd take Deans over Hansen any day of the week.

True, they did whitewash wales, but considering it was all extremely close matches and the loss to Scotland as well, Australia needs their best players and all in form to compete in the Quad nations.

I am not saying they will be weak, but the Tri Nations of last year will have no bearing on this one.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 14 Aug 2012, 1:25 pm

That's true of any prior tournament. The only point I was making is that Deans isn't a bad operator at this level.

Obviously this tournament will be different to the last. Argentina are new, and the ABs and SA are coached by new personnel, and have introduced new players.

Missing Cooper and JOC in the backs is also a blow to Australia. Both important players.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Tue 14 Aug 2012, 1:30 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:

Thankfully a decision you don't have to live with! 2011 proved that NZ were right to stick with Henry and co. Jury is obviously out on Hansen but he's going in the right direction. They have introduced a lot of youth into the squad and are starting a new cycle towards 2015.

I'm beginning to wonder if Deans isn't all urine and wind really. He's failed with Australia. He hasn't met the ARU's expectations in terms of performance at all. If they don't either win the 4N or the Bled Cup, he'll be out the door. If they lose to Argentina, that will be it.

He does do ok with their resources but he has had 4 years to build a structure to produce tight forwards that can turn in performances week in, week out. He has failed to do this much like all his predecessors going back to the late 90's early 00's. Quite simply, you cannot expect your backs to win games when your forwards are constantly hammered. Look at last year's semi final. Australia never had a chance.

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 14 Aug 2012, 1:39 pm

Deans' stock has plumetted through the floor hasn't it? He hasn't delivered one iota for oz. Wonder if he'll come back to NZ or will he jump on the mercenary coaching circuit?

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 14 Aug 2012, 1:44 pm

ebop wrote:Deans' stock has plumetted through the floor hasn't it? He hasn't delivered one iota for oz. Wonder if he'll come back to NZ or will he jump on the mercenary coaching circuit?

He did deliver in one aspect, he has had a very good run against the PDV coached team.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 14 Aug 2012, 1:44 pm

Tri-Nations champions, 3rd place in the WC (having been knocked out by the eventual champions but having knocked out SA with a supposed rubbish pack), whitewashing the 6 Nations grand slam champions.....those must have been some targets the ARU set Robbie Deans if by the end of his 4 years that is deemed to be a failure.

Is he not also the most successful Super12/14 coach of all time measured by titles won?

Dare I suggest that Robbie Deans is not all urine and wind??

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 14 Aug 2012, 1:45 pm

I don't think Robbie Deans is a bad coach, I have never seen him as a bad coach, the fact he is outwitted PDV in a manner akin to a college graduate would outfox a toddler.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Tue 14 Aug 2012, 1:46 pm

Australian sport in general is in decline.

A poor showing at the Olympics, loss of the ashes, lost the Rugby League world cup, falling fortunes in rugby...

We're next!

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 14 Aug 2012, 1:52 pm

Not sure Deans can be blamed, or have his credentials negated, purely because PDV is an idiot.

Agree with AWOP that Australian sport is generally on the decline. Having grown up watching them destroy England in the Ashes, and watching Rod McQueen's Aussies rule the roost, I'm perfectly happy to see them go through a barren spell.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 14 Aug 2012, 1:54 pm

I am not negating Deans' ability, but you can't deny PDV wasn't the brightest when it came to gameplans.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 14 Aug 2012, 1:55 pm

Yeah, he's a good coach no doubt. Maybe it's just a perception, but his appointment in oz has not covered him in glory. It wasn't the two finger salute to the NZRFU he was hoping. Many of us were worried when he became the oz coach, but the sky didn't fall on our heads. So for sure you'd be a fool to underestimate him. It's just that we have others of equal, if not better, ability.

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 14 Aug 2012, 1:56 pm

The biggest challenge for deans at the wallabies in comperison to the crusaders is at the Crusaders he was in control of how the franchise developed talent in a system that has been established before he even got there.

At the Wallabies he doesn't have those luxuries and depth of talent.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Tue 14 Aug 2012, 2:47 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Tri-Nations champions, 3rd place in the WC (having been knocked out by the eventual champions but having knocked out SA with a supposed rubbish pack), whitewashing the 6 Nations grand slam champions.....those must have been some targets the ARU set Robbie Deans if by the end of his 4 years that is deemed to be a failure.

Is he not also the most successful Super12/14 coach of all time measured by titles won?

Dare I suggest that Robbie Deans is not all urine and wind??

The ARU covet the Bledisloe Cup more than anything else, except the World Cup. That they have not had their thieving mits on it for 10 seasons now is concerning to the ARU, as they will see beating NZ regularly, or having moments of dominance as the single most important key to promoting their game. Sure, beating the 6N champs was good but don’t doubt for a moment they wouldn’t swap that for the Bledisloe Cup. Hell, they’d sell their sheilas for it.

Make no mistake, they have failed big time on that front. Robbie Deans was supposed to transplant his winning Crusader’s formula on the Wallabies and can anyone really say, in an era in which the All Blacks have been dominant on the trans-tasman scene, that that has happened? I’d be stunned if anyone had the gall to say yes and back that up with facts.

For the record in Deans’ era the count v NZ is played 15 won 3 lost 12. That’s a 20% win record. You may win the odd game but you won’t win the cup with that record.

3rd place in the WC? For a Top 3 team that's a bare minimum! For the All Blacks it is an utter failure!

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner Tue 14 Aug 2012, 3:23 pm

I would think the Wallabies would give their eye teeth to have the Boks " neanderthal" tight five

Robbie Deans would luv to have the du Plessis bros and Mataweira scrummaging in Saturday!

Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 14 Aug 2012, 3:29 pm

Nah, we prefer to sink or swim on our own thanks, Gunner. Ale

mintie & AWOP - it's not all doom and gloom you know.

Our U19s hammered Nepal in the cricket today so there is a tiny light at the end of the long tunnel. Very Happy

Modern Man my friend, Modern Man. Now pass me that flint over there... (just testing his reflexes, OK?) Hug

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner Tue 14 Aug 2012, 3:36 pm

Linebreaker wrote:Nah, we prefer to sink or swim on our own thanks, Gunner. Ale

Our U19s hammered Nepal in the cricket today so there is a tiny light at the end of the long tunnel. Very Happy

So why did you grab Kepu from South Auckland?
Joking!
Should be a cracking game Saturday after the Ireland/Wales entree in June! boxing

Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Tue 14 Aug 2012, 3:38 pm

anotherworldofpain wrote:http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/the-rugby-championship/wallabies-believe-they-have-right-gameplan-to-expose-all-blacks-centre-pairing-in-bledisloe-cup/story-e6frf4qc-1226449748285

"coach Robbie Deans had devised a clever plan to exploit any potential defensive weakness in the new Kiwi centre combination at ANZ Stadium."

Yawn.

From watching the Wales v Australia series and, to be honest every Wallabies game for a decade can we guess what this "cunning plan" might be?

Any takers for the combinator of the "inside ball", Ioane hitting midfield on the loop around Fa'inga, Barnes using a short chip out of defence and Gena dummying and sniping just wide of the 6 channel on alternate set moves?

I think when NZ crush Quade Cooper last year they turn the Wallabies into Biltong's Autobots.

Rinse, repeat.

One trck? You've listed four

"inside ball",
Ioane hitting midfield on the loop around Fa'inga
Barnes using a short chip out of defence
Gena dummying and sniping just wide of the 6 channel on alternate set moves?

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 14 Aug 2012, 3:41 pm

Gunner wrote:

Joking!
Should be a cracking game Saturday after the Ireland/Wales entree in June! boxing

We have a severe influx of legal and illegal immigrants here at the moment.

Don't you read newspapers or watch CNN?

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Tue 14 Aug 2012, 3:56 pm

Aussies how do you think the midfield will go? Personally with us playing SBW and Nonu I would have been worried if they were poaying opposite Barnes and AAC as they have great passing games and the spatial awareness to get into holes by drifting wide onto those passes. NZ's defensive alignment won't be quite there without Smith, but in Fainga'a and Horne I now definitely see advantage NZ as I don't think those guys are as effective.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner Tue 14 Aug 2012, 3:58 pm

Linebreaker wrote:
Gunner wrote:

Joking!

We have a severe influx of legal and illegal immigrants here at the moment.

Don't you read newspapers or watch CNN?

Literacy is overrated. (aside from the learned armchair critics on this site!)

So you are trying to tell me Quade, Sekope etc got on a plane in Auckland and
ended up in a refugee detention centre in Nauru Linebeaker?

Lucky John O'Neill swooped to their rescue!

Whats your prediction for Saturday?

Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 14 Aug 2012, 4:01 pm

I rate Deans, he's done a lot of good for this Wallabies side who have far less talent to choose from than the other two SH teams.

He's also made them very entertaining and the fact that they can beat NZ and then lose to Scotland only adds to that.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Tue 14 Aug 2012, 10:52 pm

Submachine wrote:
anotherworldofpain wrote:http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/the-rugby-championship/wallabies-believe-they-have-right-gameplan-to-expose-all-blacks-centre-pairing-in-bledisloe-cup/story-e6frf4qc-1226449748285

Yawn.

Rinse, repeat.

One trck? You've listed four

"inside ball",
Ioane hitting midfield on the loop around Fa'inga
Barnes using a short chip out of defence
Gena dummying and sniping just wide of the 6 channel on alternate set moves?

Your maths does you a credit sir!

But is only one trick per Wallaby!

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 15 Aug 2012, 12:19 am

Nice AWoP, a new term, the 'one trick wallaby'. Much more dangerous than the one trick pony though, more deceptive. I'm going to regret saying that.

Last edited by ebop on Wed 15 Aug 2012, 12:48 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed 15 Aug 2012, 12:46 am

Gunner, check Biltong's thread.

https://www.606v2.com/t33372-the-rugby-championship-prediction-game

I have them by 2 points for the first game, ABs to win the return match in Auckland.

No, no detention center for Quade & Sekope... they went straight to Tugun Beach. They know what's good for them! Laugh

Have you made your prediction yet?

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Wed 15 Aug 2012, 1:57 am

I think some of you are being a bit hard on Deans.
20% win rate against NZ. How many coaches have a better rate than that?
I note the Crusaders haven't won anything without him recently.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed 15 Aug 2012, 2:06 am

You know my great aunt used to have a photo of him beside her bed (she was a widow by then) in the late 70s. She was obsessed with him and he couldn't put a foot wrong in her eyes.... a typical one-eyed Cantabrian! Smile

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down