The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Have Wales missed a trick up until now??

+10
maestegmafia
pioden gorllewin
EnglandRose
Casartelli
Luckless Pedestrian
mckay1402
ChequeredJersey
sad_gimp
JmD
Huwball
14 posters

Go down

Have Wales missed a trick up until now?? Empty Have Wales missed a trick up until now??

Post by Huwball Tue 15 Jan 2013, 1:13 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21020111

Did anyone know about this? Apparently a Welsh Grandfather, so could be perfect timing Shocked or is he just not good enough for England Erm

Any Quins fans got any inside information? Hug

Huwball

Back to top Go down

Have Wales missed a trick up until now?? Empty Re: Have Wales missed a trick up until now??

Post by JmD Tue 15 Jan 2013, 1:54 am

"21st 10lb" Surely not?

JmD

Back to top Go down

Have Wales missed a trick up until now?? Empty Re: Have Wales missed a trick up until now??

Post by sad_gimp Tue 15 Jan 2013, 1:59 am

Yeah he's a BIG bloke. Our scrum really suffers when he's unavailable, don't take him!

sad_gimp

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 15 Jan 2013, 3:21 am

You keep your dirty mitts off Ollie Kohn! He is an absolute monster, shame he's peaked so late though he was actually one of Bristol's more consistent performers too
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 15 Jan 2013, 3:23 am

He's good enough for England at the heavyweight bits of being a lock, and his current form is good but he's no ninja in the lineout and peaked pretty late, too old for Lancaster. Bit like Shaw as a player but not as soft hands. Decent in the loose but mostly a ruck-hitting, driving, mauling monster
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Tue 15 Jan 2013, 7:55 am

To be honesty Wales could do with exactly that sort of player. Or locks are far too interested in being backs and not interested enough in hitting the breakdown.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 15 Jan 2013, 8:25 am

When did he switch to rugby from goalkeeping? Headscratch

Oh, it's Kohn, not Kahn. Forget I said anything.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Tue 15 Jan 2013, 8:31 am

Might be fun to see him packing down with Gough?

And for lineouts the two of them can just throw Tipuric up into the air.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglandRose Tue 15 Jan 2013, 8:37 am

Kohn Fotuali'i?

Anything is better than Will James!

EnglandRose

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 15 Jan 2013, 8:40 am

Poor Will James. It was his bad luck that his chance came as part of a second-string side thrown to the lions at Twickenham. Who knows how he'd have gone in a full-strength side.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglandRose Tue 15 Jan 2013, 8:45 am

I think the same people that poisened the all blacks vs England and 1995 final are behind this lock crisis.

EnglandRose

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Tue 15 Jan 2013, 8:56 am

another english lock that's apparently asked to be considered is Worcester's 2nd row James Percival.

http://www.espnscrum.com/premiership-20 ... 74645.html

Worcester Warriors second-row James Percival is keeping his fingers crossed over a call-up to the Welsh national side despite playing for the England Under-21s.

Percival is currently one of the Aviva Premiership's in-form second-rows but is seemingly not on England's radar. With this in mind, Percival has made contact with Wales boss Warren Gatland about possibly pulling on the famous red shirt.

The 29-year-old qualifies for Wales through his grandmother and believes he has a lot to offer on the Test stage. "I am the top ball-career and tackler among second-rows in the Premiership according to Opta stats," Percival told the Rugby Paper. "International rugby is a massive goal of mine. It is the pinnacle of your career. It would be a massive honour.

"If someone believes in me enough to play international rugby I will give them 100 per cent. I am proud of my Welsh heritage as I am of my English heritage. I played for Wales Schools when I was 18 and then got put into the England age-grade system.

"The team manager at Worcester [Alan Carter] is Welsh and it was him who mentioned it to me. The possibility had always been there but because I had played for England U21s and come through their academy set-up I had not thought of it. As I had only played age-grade rugby I am not tied to anything.

"My agent has been in touch with Warren Gatland so the Wales management know of my eligibility and I am just keeping my fingers crossed something happens."

pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 15 Jan 2013, 9:25 am

I would be surprised if Howley brought in Percival or Kohn. I would have thought the young welsh lads would get a chance first. That said Kohn is playing well.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 15 Jan 2013, 9:38 am

Whilst we are in mids of a crisis I would prefer he give the chance to likes of King and Peers etc added to the experience of Gough
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Huwball Tue 15 Jan 2013, 9:49 am

I think beggars can't be choosers at the moment, but let's not hope he's another Derwyn Jones Tumbleweed

Let's give him a try I say.... what's the worst that can happen? Whistle

Huwball

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 15 Jan 2013, 9:58 am

Or another Craig Quinnell
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 15 Jan 2013, 10:02 am

Huwball wrote:I think beggars can't be choosers at the moment

Quite right.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Tue 15 Jan 2013, 10:06 am

kohn makes a big difference to the quins pack, so worth considering. seen very little of percival to comment.

similar to bedford I'd rather go down the route of king, peers, down etc....however i'd imagine howley is feeling a bit of pressure at the moment follow the autumn whitewhish. so he might feel the need to sacrifice development for a short term fix.
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 15 Jan 2013, 10:07 am

pg,

I agree on the short fix which is why I really think Goughie should be brought in at least he has proven pedigree at this level, him alongside King or Peers etc would work IMO.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Huwball Tue 15 Jan 2013, 10:10 am

In some ways I hope he digs his heels in.... after all you reap what you sow - and Howler has made a couple of monumental c0ck ups lately with his selection choices. His blue tinted specs could cost him his job with the crap we have had to put up with as the ever suffering Welsh public Crying or Very sad

Huwball

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Tue 15 Jan 2013, 10:59 am

Huwball wrote:In some ways I hope he digs his heels in.... after all you reap what you sow - and Howler has made a couple of monumental c0ck ups lately with his selection choices.

Gatland was involved in the selection process as usual during the AI, just because he didn't take training doesn't mean he wasn't there - it was even said during press conferences, so no blame there should be levelled at Howley. He's just the scapegoat for people to rant about because the players played so poorly.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue 15 Jan 2013, 5:45 pm

Surely Howley should be thinking LONG TERM. for the Welsh team. How long will Kohn be around for?

And if Howley did select Kohn because of his age, wont this effect the young Welsh lads coming through?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 15 Jan 2013, 7:36 pm

Gcblues

Have to disagree in part there mate, the players didn't play badly, the wrong players were selected, I called results beforehand because we had selected a half fit team who hadn't been anywhere near match fit before argy then made way too many changes for the week after, I could see it a mile off and after the Howley interviews he was saying all the wrong things!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 15 Jan 2013, 9:35 pm

gcBlues wrote:
Huwball wrote:In some ways I hope he digs his heels in.... after all you reap what you sow - and Howler has made a couple of monumental c0ck ups lately with his selection choices.

Gatland was involved in the selection process as usual during the AI, just because he didn't take training doesn't mean he wasn't there - it was even said during press conferences, so no blame there should be levelled at Howley. He's just the scapegoat for people to rant about because the players played so poorly.

Him, Lloyd Williams, Rhys Priestland and anyone else targeted flavour of the month...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down