The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northampton sign prop Paul Doran-Jones from Gloucester

4 posters

Go down

Northampton sign prop Paul Doran-Jones from Gloucester Empty Northampton sign prop Paul Doran-Jones from Gloucester

Post by Adam D Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:08 pm

"Northampton Saints have signed prop forward Paul Doran-Jones from Premiership rivals Gloucester.
The 25-year-old, who is currently in the England elite squad preparing for the Six Nations, will join the Saints for the 2011/12 season.

"It's always been tough playing against the Saints," said Doran-Jones.
"They have got a history of having a strong pack and it will be great to be part of the squad at Franklin's Gardens," he added.
"I'm looking forward to getting in and training with the boys. I've been with a few of them with England and the banter is starting already.

"The likes of Dylan Hartley and Courtney Lawes and the other guys like Soane Tonga'uiha and Brian Mujati have done really well this season and I want to be part of that.

"Gloucester has been a great club for me. It's tough to leave a place where I had my chance. The clubs are similar with great followings and histories and Kingsholm will always be a special place for me."
Doran-Jones joined Gloucester from London Welsh in 2009 and was drafted into England's squad for the autumn internationals that year, making his debut as a replacement against Argentina at Twickenha
m."

Source BBC Website

Is this the right move for him at this time?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Northampton sign prop Paul Doran-Jones from Gloucester Empty Re: Northampton sign prop Paul Doran-Jones from Gloucester

Post by HongKongCherry Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:32 pm

Gutting news, he's going to be a tough player to replace. Sad Saints have signed a very promising prop, although he's going to have a tough task starting ahead of Mujati. I shall cheer him fr a few months more, then wish him well then the boo's will start!
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Northampton sign prop Paul Doran-Jones from Gloucester Empty Re: Northampton sign prop Paul Doran-Jones from Gloucester

Post by Cumbrian Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:52 am

Hard news for Gloucester supporters to take, nobody likes losing good young English players. As a Newcastle fan you have my (comprehending) sympathy.

Northampton are beginning to build a very impressive squad. If it wasn’t for the fact that French teams like Tulon are buying half the Aussie squad I’d say Northampton would be a favourite for the HC next year. Just need a world class fly half now…
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by chewy200 Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:48 am

Any thoughts on potential signings for Gloucester to replace PDJ? I'm sorry to lose him, but I think, if Saints were to let him go, Tom Mercey would be a decent replacement coming the other way. Or maybe, if we get rid of Voyce in the summer and can free up some more cash, will we look to be more ambitious?

chewy200

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:02 am

If we get rid of Voyce we could afford Carl Haymans!!! Mercey would certainly be an interesting option, but from Mallinder's press conference he sounds very much part of Saints' plans next year. We've been linked to re-signing Dave Young from Edinburgh. I'm not overly enthisiastic about that as he was a solid prop in his 1st stint with us, but also somewhat uninspiring. Shaun Knight should be given more opportunities, but he is not ready to be a starting prop quite yet.

I would like to start a rumour, based on absolutely no aspect of fact, that Phil Vickery will shortly come out of retirement and return "home"! Very Happy
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down