The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Bath Rugby Thread

+49
Higher_Ground
munkian
Hood83
SecretFly
mbernz
Sgt_Pooly
boomeranga
twoeightnine
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
The Great Aukster
tigerleghorn
toml
Rolfs_Cartoon_Club
Scrumdown
ScarletSpiderman
Scrumpy
nathan
Captain_Sensible
Taylorman
GavinDragon
aucklandlaurie
sirtidychris
EnglishReign
Pot Hale
bluestonevedder
Bathman_in_London
thebandwagonsociety
gregortree
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
ChequeredJersey
tatterd
SirJohnnyEnglish
Portnoy
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
LondonTiger
beshocked
DaveM
PJHolybloke
maestegmafia
thebluesmancometh
bathmad
HongKongCherry
Jimpy
yappysnap
rodders
Effervescing Elephant
formerly known as Sam
Bathite
HERSH
53 posters

Page 19 of 19 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 17, 18, 19

Go down

The Bath Rugby Thread - Page 19 Empty The Bath Rugby Thread

Post by HERSH Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:37 pm

First topic message reminder :

The dedicated home of all things Bath Rugby,

Please feel free to discuss all things Bath related, so pull up a chair an have a quite drink among friends, mines a Bath Ales Dark Side please. guinness

Other fans welcome but remember, play nicely.

Last edited by HERSH on Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:22 pm; edited 8 times in total
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

The Bath Rugby Thread - Page 19 Empty Re: The Bath Rugby Thread

Post by Scrumpy Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:32 pm

So Gold takes the responsibility for Baths failings this season, will he pay the ultimate price for failure?

I have to be honest I don't like how we play the game at the moment and wouldn't miss Gold if he was given the boot.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:59 am

7 Players set to leave

Michael Claassens - 162
Jack Cuthbert - 96
Stephen Donald - 33
Mark McMillan - 46
Ben Skirving - 101
Simon Taylor - 65
Sam Vesty - 64
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by sirtidychris Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:03 am

Bar claassens, these are all surplus to requirements and whilst some have been great servants to the club it think its the right time for them to move on.

Gary Gold hasn't been a messiah and turned everything around over night but he is building a good squad and managed to sign some real talent for next season, he has also installed a team ethos which i think was lacking last year. I think he needs to recognise that the coaching team lacks an attacking backs coach and this alongside a scrum half are the big needs for next season. I wouldn't be happy to see Gold go yet as this isn't football and if we hire someone then we deserve to give them a proper go at building there team. Still as i've said before forcing steve meehan out is the most short sighted thing bath has done in the professional era.

sirtidychris

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:09 pm

I didn't see that result coming Wow Very Happy
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:16 pm

Jeez, you can hardly move in here for the Tigers fans offering their congratulations on a hard fought and well-deserved victory.

I can't wait to see how magnanimous Cockerill is going to be in tomorrow's papers when he has to admit that Leicester's tight five got pumped...

It's OK, I pinched myself, Bath were well lucky and got the benefit of some rubbish officiating. OK
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:22 am

To be fair I think Leicester got the benefits of a few calls as well. But seeing as we ended up playing sevens pretty much due to a card happy ref at welford road earlier in the year, clearly these things balance themselves out.

More importantly, our pack put in a huge shift, Wilson and attwood looking to book their seats on the plane to Argentina but all of them plus the subs were great.

A similar performance next week please! Not many sides beat Saracens away but then again not many teams get the full 5 points against Leicester either!

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:28 am

Just popping in to say well done. We played well I thought, you were better.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:52 am

Bloody Bath, you've nabbed Gavlar, would've loved him at Rodney Parade

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by twoeightnine Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:02 am

Why are we talking to Henson? I understand that its to play as a 12 and they are probably looking for some experience there to help the two young tens, McHeathcote and Ford but Henson.......

twoeightnine

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:14 am

He's kept his head down and is still a very experienced player that improves players around him.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:33 pm

Unsure about Henson signing - he only played 11 times for L Welsh this season and that is not enough to justify his salary. We have gone from being very light in midfield in terms of available players to now have Banahan, Eastmond, Williams and Hipkiss, with Joseph signed from LI to now Henson. Donald and Claasens leaving frees up a large salary allocation but not sure Henson justifies it and he just has too much baggage as the panto villain.

A top end and young SH sould have been the priority rather than an opportunist and in contract signing, such as Henson.

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:34 pm

munkian wrote:He's kept his head down and is still a very experienced player that improves players around him.

As can be seen by London Welsh's player improvement... Wink

In fairness he has kept out of the limelight this season, but he has played in only 9 of a possible 29 games so far and if I were a Bath supporter (or in purgatory as it is more commonly known) I'd definitely want him to be on only a pay as you play contract. Personally I'd far rather have Hudson Tonga'uiha for a back up 12.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:52 pm

Always knew this would happen one day.
Not too sure how I feel about this to be honest on his day he is still a quality player but there is always a 'But' with Henson!

If he wants to get paid per a game or lower his wage demands and really wants to play for the club and the club really want him and can't find anyone else, then I don't have a problem with it.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerleghorn Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:20 pm

Why would ANY club want to sign Henson??

Madness!!

tigerleghorn

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:23 pm

I take it all this nay saying is due to historic off field antics rather than his on field abilty ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:31 pm

Lets be honest Bath have a long and proud history of keeping players in line!!!! Erm

Last edited by VictorU3 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:34 pm

Ollie Berkley, his mate Les Vainikolo, Matt Stevens, real party animals.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Higher_Ground Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:37 pm

Henson has played well when he's been fit this year, and is still an excellent player. We can debate the ins and outs of how he will slot into the backline and the possible permutations/tactics that Bath could employ, along with how we think his contract might be structured, but I think our time would be better spent thinking about how funny it is that Hersh may have to cheer him on at some point. Yes, that's what I'm going to think about.

It's almost too beautiful.

Higher_Ground

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:39 pm

Higher_Ground wrote:thinking about how funny it is that Hersh may have to cheer him on at some point. Yes, that's what I'm going to think about.

It's almost too beautiful.

I'd love to be there for that ! Laugh

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:42 pm

I wonder if they have more definite plans for where Eastmond is going to fit in now. Havnt they Bath been running with either Eastmond or Banahan at IC?

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:42 pm

munkian wrote:I take it all this nay saying is due to historic off field antics rather than his on field abilty ?

It could be due to his actual performances on the pitch?

After all he was poor at Saracens on the pitch.
Poor on and off the pitch at Toulon.
No idea how he played for the Blues - but was sacked for off field stuff.

Finally at London Welsh. He featured in one match the they won in the AP (against Bath) - however they were losing when he was taken off.

Once upon a time Henson would have been a good signing. Nowadays it is one of hope over realism.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:46 pm

This doesn't strike me as a particularly shrewd signing, not unless his salary demands are comensurate with his recent on-field contribution (9 from 29 and a mixed bag).

He is not the world class 12 he once was (back in 2004 - 2005), and Bath need to be careful they understand fully how he's going to fit into the squad.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:17 pm

LondonTiger to be fair to Gavin what I saw of him for London Welsh when he was fit he didn't look too bad. In his two games vs Saracens he did some good stuff. Still he's a bit of a fop. His dive in particular was a pretty poor showing.

My favourite Gavin moment is when he came on for Saracens in the HC vs Leinster away. The Leinster players smashed him. Even though we lost at least there was something humorous like that to ease some of the pain of a humiliating loss.

Not a big fan of Henson's ever since I heard he refused to play for Saracens A side and only learnt the names of three of the squad.

I wish him well at Bath though.

If Henson stays fit and gets in the right frame of mind then maybe he might be useful to Bath. Big if though. In all likelihood Gavin won't last long.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Wed May 01, 2013 9:39 am

So Bath have now signed for next season:

Ford
Young
Roberts
Garvey
Sisi
Watson
Houston
JJ

As well as those such as Stringer, Koster, Roko and the Argie hooker whos name I can't remember which were actually brought in during this season.

I have to say, in general I like the way the direction the signings are taking the club. Generally young and English, with a view to building a side which in a couple of years can be challenging at the top. I've heard that the average salary next season will be down to c.105k, as opposed to 137k, which I hope shows a new emphasis on a strong squad, as opposed to a few overpaid individuals.

On Ford, I presume his dad was having an unoffical chat with him a while ago and so his head had been turned for a while. I assume that the long term plan was to have him and then Heathcote during the international windows. That could quite clearly not work out now, it would be interesting to know if thats why Devoto has been given a run at FB, to get him some game time so he can step in at FH next season when needed.

On Henson, I would be willing to chance him as long as it was on a low base salary. We will have 2 actual centres next season, Williams and JJ. Then we have Eastmond, Banahan, as well as Roko and Agulla which are wingers/centres. This combined with 2 young Fh's means I can see the sense in signing an older controlling 12 to take the pressure off the FH, as well as bringing others into the game.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed May 01, 2013 9:55 am

Some top signings Bathman.

Big question marks over Ford but he certainly has hype and potential to be a good player. Micky Young has looked poor but should be behind Stringer & Roberts.

Garvey your best signing imo, could form a cracking engine room with Attwood.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed May 01, 2013 10:31 am

Worst kept secret in rugby, mind you it was a good day to announce it as it slipped under the radar.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed May 01, 2013 11:41 am

Secret? Pretty sure Cockers had already announced it.

I agree with Beshocked, Henson looked pretty good when fit. Sign him up on a small salary with game related bonuses and both sides should be happy. He's always had the skills.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Fri May 03, 2013 5:30 pm

So are all you boys going to be shouting for Glaws tomorrow?? king
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Sat May 04, 2013 9:46 am

Hmm suddenly the amlin doesn't seem so bad next season does it?!

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by sirtidychris Sat May 04, 2013 2:31 pm

Unfortunately HKC the matches are currently on at the same time so whilst i would of course ( Whistle ) be cheering on gloucester I wont have the opportunity.......come on bath !!!!!!!!

sirtidychris

Back to top Go down

Post by sirtidychris Sat May 11, 2013 11:30 pm

Olly barkley signs for Grenoble...what a plank him and Gold are for letting him leave. He was our best player when he went; scoring almost all our points when both Heathcote and Donald were injured. He left bath for money then after a month at Racing Metro he was struggling to make the bench. Now he's playing for a french cannon fodder team on probably less or similar money to what he was on at bath.If he had stayed at bath its very likley we have made the heinkein cup and he would have been an amazing playmaking/kicking 10/12 and a mentor playing for a side really pushing for honours in 2014...instead he's playing for a pants french side and we are thinking about signing gaving flipping henson, who does what olly does but worse these days and with more baggage.

sirtidychris

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Mon May 13, 2013 9:46 am

Its pretty odd to ship him off and then say what we want is an experienced 10/12 to help take the pressure off the young 10's. We lost a fair few games this season where a decent kicker would have won it for us and like you say, may well have made the HC. He may not be as good as he was, but he would still have been a useful man to have at the club.

You do wonder if despite what he said about making up with Ford, he decided that actually he didnt really fancy working with him after all. The only plus for Bath I guess is that he must have been one of our higher earners, so him leaving has allowed the recruitment of the London Irish youngsters.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Mon May 13, 2013 3:25 pm

Crazy situation if you ask me, I think we would have made the HC if Ollie was around.

I'm beginning to really tire of the management, coaches and officials at Bath, when you go and see what Exeter are building it makes me so cross that Bath keep tumbling on and on, made all the worse when the showers of .... up by Cheltenham get HC rugby next year.

We really lack ambition if you ask me, its time we moved on from the Rec and start building a professional rugby club that the Bath faithful truly deserve.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Mon May 13, 2013 4:44 pm

If only he told the players what to do!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/22509114
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Tue May 14, 2013 9:38 am

Someone must tell them to kick aimlessly and be toothless up front Vic!

I agree though, Exeter with their stadium and youth development are showing us how to do it.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed May 22, 2013 4:04 pm

Hipkiss retires.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Wed May 22, 2013 4:29 pm

http://www.bathrugby.com/news/team-news/hipkiss-forced-to-retire-with-immediate-effect

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Wed May 22, 2013 4:38 pm

Sorry to hear about Hipkiss. He definitely had his moments as a player. He also provided one of the best/funnniest moments of the season last year with his sending off against Chiefs!
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 22, 2013 5:02 pm

That is a great shame as he offered experience compared to the other options; Eastmond, Williams, Banahan & Joseph in midfield. He never got a consistent run free from injury but never had a bad game. That must free up a big chunk of salary cap, I wonder who is being considered.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Wed May 22, 2013 5:10 pm

A shame for him, he was an under-rated player throughout his career I think.

I wonder if this leads more credence to the idea of Henson being signed? Hipkiss has been injured since January, so you would presume the coaches may have considered it a possibility this might happen. We also have Roko as a 13/winger remember.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by sirtidychris Wed May 22, 2013 10:22 pm

Shame to end a career through injury but i was surprised when we resigned him really. Another Lewis Moody who had smashed his body week in and out for Tigers over a decade and Bath bought a man with a big name but held together with tape. Never really performed for bath but in his hay day he was an abbrasive running centre, with a good step (off one leg only as found out by England) and i'll remember his premiership winning try against sarries.

sirtidychris

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu May 23, 2013 10:04 am

sirtidychris wrote:Shame to end a career through injury but i was surprised when we resigned him really. Another Lewis Moody who had smashed his body week in and out for Tigers over a decade and Bath bought a man with a big name but held together with tape. Never really performed for bath but in his hay day he was an abbrasive running centre, with a good step (off one leg only as found out by England) and i'll remember his premiership winning try against sarries.

So will I, screamed myself hoarse from the South stand, wondering if he had actually made it to the line at the other end.

At 30, young to have to retire. Real shame that injuries marred his days at the Rec.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Thu May 23, 2013 10:14 am

I want a big name that can play rugby not just a big name that brings a media circus with him.

Surely we can't sign Henson?

Bring back Ollie.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Thu May 23, 2013 10:43 am

Just started a new thread as this one like last season is just so negative.

Let’s move forward.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:24 pm

Bath are on fire today
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:38 pm

Fantastic second half but a possible frantic last minute is taken away by a horrible bad TMO call for a forward pass that is never forward.

Bath's scrum looked woeful until Obano came on but Falatau looked very impressive with his opposite number looking excellent as well. Four tries between the 8's on either side.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 19 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 17, 18, 19