The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Federer - All-time title/wins records

3 posters

Go down

Federer - All-time title/wins records Empty Federer - All-time title/wins records

Post by sirfredperry Mon 20 Aug 2012, 9:36 am

Fed's Cinci win takes his title wins to 76 - just one behind Johnny Mac in the all-time list headed by Jimmy C with 109.
After Rog's late run of titles at the end of 2011, I thought he might have a chance of overtaking the Mac figure of 77 if he lasted through 2013. Now he could get above Mac total this year.
Fed has also chalked up 863 match wins and is now in striking distance of Agassi (870) and McEnroe (875). These guys are sure to be overpassed, with Fed able to have a dart at the Villas total (919) next year. Lendl (1,071) and Connors (several million) look out of sight though. (Connors is 1,270, by the way)
Cinci was, of course, another win for the over-30 brigade this year. That's at least nine from this age group I can think of for this year. Did ask in earlier posts if anyone knew the record for the most annual wins by the over-30s. Any help with this?

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Federer - All-time title/wins records Empty Re: Federer - All-time title/wins records

Post by barrystar Mon 20 Aug 2012, 9:57 am

You'll find a lot of interesting info here - whether it's what you want I'm not sure:
http://www.tennis28.com/studies/
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Federer - All-time title/wins records Empty Re: Federer - All-time title/wins records

Post by barrystar Mon 20 Aug 2012, 9:59 am

One of these studies I'd think - they show that 30+ titles are increasing and teen titles are going down. http://www.tennis28.com/titles/over30_agesort.html
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 20 Aug 2012, 10:43 am

B'Star - ta for digging up some terrific stuff.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Turron Mon 20 Aug 2012, 10:49 am

That is interesting stuff - 10 winners over 30 in this year alone (adding in Fed's Cincy result). Who knew?

Turron

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 20 Aug 2012, 11:38 am

Looking further at records - and apologies if stats are not your thing - I see that Fed has now won seven tournaments (inc World Tour Finals) at least five times which may be YET ANOTHER RECORD.
Also, Fed (76 title wins) has now equalled McEnroe (77 titles) on 108 finals. So Mac miles away the better player ! Very Happy

Last edited by sirfredperry on Mon 20 Aug 2012, 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : adding on stuff)

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Mon 20 Aug 2012, 1:19 pm

Another interesting factor is where Federer and Nadal stand now on age comparisons.

The year 2007 for Fed is the age equivalent of 2012 for Nadal. I am assuming that Nadal has done winning tournaments this year, and on that basis with the major measures of greatness Fed 2007 is ahead of Nadal 2012: Slams won (12-11), Total tournaments won (53-50), weeks at No. 1 (204-102).

On tournaments won you could point out in Nadal 2012's favour that he has 21 Masters to go with his 11 slams, but Fed 2007 had a similar weight of bigger tournaments with 12 slams, 4 TMF's, and 14 Masters.

The major indicator where Nadal 2012 is ahead of Fed 2007 is pure mileage - Nadal has played more matches to date than Fed had by the end of 2007. Take into account the fact that he wins fewer cheap points than Fed and there is a substantial difference there.

Nadal has taught us never to right him off - I am sure that there is more glory to come from him - but it's pretty clear now that when his career is over his overall statistics will be behind Fed's on most of the measures of greatness. In particular, 2012 seems to have been a decisive year relating to the slam tally - at best Nadal will have finished the year the same as he started, 6 behind, and you can't see him overhauling that now.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down