The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dedicated to the one I love....

2 posters

Go down

Dedicated to the one I love.... Empty Dedicated to the one I love....

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 22 Aug 2012, 8:52 pm

Strange how seemingly ordinary fighters can transform into world beaters after loosing a close friend or family member. Its no secret that my fav fight of all time is Chacon v Limon, but I never knew the background to that fight. I first thought that it was you're typical Mexican dual. 2 fighters going toe to toe but I just recently found out that Chacon dedicated the fight to his late wife who had commited suicide.

Its no wonder then how and why Chacon shipped so much punishment from the relentless Limon. It was like a movie that fight, i mean who the hell ever knocks down the champion while behind on points with only 15 seconds left in the fight??

It is incredible what certain fighters can do when they dedicate a fight to a deceased loved one, the amount of punishment they can withstand and the ferocity they display is a sight to behold. Its something about boxing that brings out the never say die attitude within the human spirit. Bobby did it against Limon and Boza, Buster did it aginst Tyson when he dedicated the fight to his late mother, De La Hoya did it in the Olympics when he won gold.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Dedicated to the one I love.... Empty Re: Dedicated to the one I love....

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 22 Aug 2012, 9:15 pm

Chacon-Limon IV was mental, wasn't it OneTwo? I've never seen a sustained pace like it in any twelve-rounder, never mind fifteen.

The concept you've touched on might be described as cheesy by some, but it shouldn't be, in my opinion. It's definitely true that seeking solace - and a bolthole from the problems life can bring - in training or a fight can lift an idividual's performance.

Michael Spinks is a great example - his wife was killed, as I'm sure you'll know, not long before his unification fight with Qawi, and he'd been in tears just before leaving his dressing room when his daughter asked him if her Mum would be watching from heaven. Spinks had to dig seriously, seriously deep in the late stages of that one, particularly after Qawi was given that very dubious 'knockdown' in the eighth round, but he gritted his teeth and produced a real champion's effort in those closing stages.

Terrific stuff.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 22 Aug 2012, 9:21 pm

It was terrific stuff Chris.

I can't imagine what these fighters must have gone through especially Chacon who felt remorse and guilt for his wife's suicide. He must have gone into that fight willing to put it all on the line, no matter what.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down