The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Andy Roddick announces retirement from tennis

+10
sirfredperry
Gerry SA
time please
socal1976
Josiah Maiestas
kwinigolfer
lydian
bogbrush
laverfan
User 774433
14 posters

Go down

Andy Roddick announces retirement from tennis Empty Andy Roddick announces retirement from tennis

Post by User 774433 Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:15 am

SportsPulse: http://www.sportpulse.net/content/andy-roddick-announces-retirement-tennis-4481 (my article there too)

Andy Roddick has announced that he is retiring from tennis after this year's US Open.
It ends quite a brilliant career for the American who turns 30 today (30th August). After a few good wins in Atlanta and Memphis this year Roddick disappointed in Wimbledon, and has now decided to call it a day.

Roddick's highest ranking is world number 1, which he achieved in 2003, the same year in which he won his only Grand Slam: the US Open (beating Ferrero in the final).
Since then Roddick has reached many Grand Slams finals, but each time he has faced Roger Federer, and each time he has failed. The closest he came to beating Federer in a Grand Slam Final was Wimbledon 2009, when he was a set up and had 4 set points to win the 2nd set. However unfortunately for Roddick he was never able to convert any of them, and Federer eventually went on to win in 5 sets.

Serve: Roddick will be remembered mostly for his excellent serve, which in my opinion at it's prime was the greatest serve of all time. His service technique was flawless, and he could generate unbelievable pace despite not being as tall as the likes of Karlovic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXL-gtksKY8
His groundstrokes weren't too bad either, but it was never his strong point. Under Stefanki Roddick did make significant improvements to his game, and this nearly took him over the line at Wimbledon in 2009, but it was not to be.

Roddick is also well known for his direct approach in interviews, and his straight-talking personality does divide opinion. One thing is for sure, he's never scared to express his views Wink

Funny Quotes from Roddick:
'Yeah, there's a lot of strategy talk. It's not so much like, If you're down 6-4, 6-0, 2-0. We didn't really talk about that. Oops.'
-- Andy Roddick on his strategy with coach Jimmy Connors after losing to Roger Federer in the 2007 Australian Open semifinals.

'Whatever I said last year, just copy it. I'm sure it still fits.'
-- Andy Roddick speaking with the media after losing in the first round at the 2006 French Open.

Anyway, well done to Roddick, he certainly has been a great servant to tennis, and I wish him well in the future. angel

IMBL

Last edited by It Must Be Love on Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:08 am; edited 3 times in total

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Andy Roddick announces retirement from tennis Empty Re: Andy Roddick announces retirement from tennis

Post by laverfan Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:17 am

Very Crying or Very sad - http://www.usatoday.com/sports/tennis/story/2012-08-30/us-open-andy-roddick/57442986/1

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Andy Roddick announces retirement from tennis Empty Re: Andy Roddick announces retirement from tennis

Post by Guest Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:23 am

His form seems to have dropped away following the heights reached in 2009. He has won over 20.5 million dollars in prize money and made more than this in sponsorship deals and advertising, there is no doubting he had a successful professional tennis career.

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:28 am

Good career; he goes out well past his best, his biggest weapons taken away by equipment and condition changes, but still better than almost any young player in the game.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:48 am

In truth once conditions slowed markedly after 2003 even though he was then still young the game was already passing him by...he's a fast court player as his runs at Queens showed. Dogged competitor and gave good commentary off court. Shame about his Wimb2009...
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:41 am

On the World stage Roddick was a star.
On the American stage he was a superstar - he has done sooooooo much for US tennis, bridging the gap from Sampras and Agassi to the present day.
He contributed greatly to the US Davis Cup win in 2007 and is pretty much the mentor for the young US men of today's game, albeit that they are yet to reach world class (if ever).

Huge respect for Roddick and we'll be seeing him in a TV commentary booth in weeks rather than months.

Expect drama on Ashe Friday night!

Great career, Good guy, Best wishes

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:08 am

Never liked watching him when he plays, but I did feel very sad for him in 2009. Very good career if we don't count clay steam
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:23 pm

Never was a fan of his game but it is never a happy occurrence to watch a grandslam champion leave the game. Frankly, I like watching pretty much any US player but Roddick, don't know why that is but that is case would be hypocritical really for me to sing his praises. But one thing you can't take away from the man is that he worked very hard and left it all on the court. Although not a fan even I feel for him for 09 wimby, he really should have won that match. And to lose it on a routine volley like that, just really terrible, wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:22 pm

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2012/08/35/US-Open-Thursday-Roddick-To-Retire.aspx

Sad to see him go but I think he has picked the right time to do so:

“For 13 or 14 years, I was invested fully, every day,” he said, explaining what he was most proud of. “I've seen a lot of people throughout that time be invested for a year, kind of tap out for a year, come back. I've been pretty good about keeping my nose to the grindstone. I feel like I won a lot of matches from hard work and persistence.”

He is clearly wanting to move on with other projects, such as his foundation, and life in general. All the very best of luck to him.

Echo others, although as a Fed fan I was delighted to see him scoop his 15th slam at Wimbledon so soon after that longed for RG victory, I wouldn't have wished that loss on Roddick. It was heartbreaking and I think in retrospect seeing Delpo's drained, raw emotion, after losing an epic serving contest in the Olympics you can only wonder that Roddick was able to keep his 'chin up' afterwards. There was something very magnificent about that 5th set in 2009, when each in turn stood on the line, took aim and neither wavered in skill, intent or courage. They both had to be masters of their own destiny and neither flinched until the very end.

I hope we see him, in time, on the Champions tour.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:21 pm

It's a shame that A-Rod COULD retire with Only the 1 Major.

A very fine player. 1 X Major and 5 X Masters 1000. World Number 1 to boot, excellent career no doubt.

If it wasn't for my boy Federer, he would've won another 4-6 majors.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:36 pm

Always seems to me to be a pity when they describe people as one-slam wonders, as if players would not give their eye teeth even to be in a GS final, let alone win it.
Roddick and Ferrero, given their longevity and title-winning records, could be classed as being among the best of the one-slam brigade.
Reckon you could argue that some players might have won more slams (Courier, Safin, perhaps even Lleyton Hewitt ?) but achieved less than A-Rod.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:29 pm

Roddick has superb numers in his record. A huge amount of wins and a load of titles even if only one was a grand slam. Had one window of opportunity to win a slam and he took it. To be fair I remember that late period in 2003 when he was a deserved number 1. He actually beat Federer in Cincinnati (or was it Montreal). Won both MS titles and US Open in a glorious couple of months

Underrated player to be honest. Also won DC.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:09 am

Tennis really doesn't have many fluke male Grand Slam winners, Gaudio possibly the only one in the past fifteen years.
Roddick as good as any one-Grand-Slammer and better than many with multiples.
Pretty good Davis Cup record also (33-12 in singles).

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:26 am

Andy Roddick, as SDB says, does indeed have some great numbers to his name, and I think I'm right in saying that he can claim more consecutive Y/E finishes inside the top ten than any other active player with the single exception of Federer.

Andy deserves huge credit for all that he has has achieved over the years, in a sport where there is intense, relentless, day-in, day-out, competition to make even the top 100, let alone the pinnacle of holding the World Number One spot, albeit for a short period.

He is one of the most open and honest players out there, and his almost uniquely self-deprecating but forthright attitude in interviews and pressers has provided much entertainment at times.

Two of my favourites were after the Aus Open SF 2007 ; and then also just earlier this year after the Madison Square Garden exho/charity match where he had a rare victory over Fed and then joked that I must be getting inside his head because "he has no idea how to play me ......"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGiSrj97txc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcwUp8S9T-M

Farewell Andy, well played, enjoy 'retirement' and thanks for the memories Smile

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:54 am

It's a sad day to see this man retire - his game over the past few years hasn't been the most charming to watch, but the 2003 / 2004 version of Roddick was a wonderful operator.

He's been very, very good for the sport. Popular with the ladies, down to earth but also hugely charismatic and engaging as a personality.

I remember that Wimbledon 2009 final incredibly vividly, and probably always will. Was on holiday in Gran Canaria and, as none of my mates were big on tennis, I slumped off on my own to a virtually empty little sports bar to watch; I was absolutely heartbroken for Roddick at the end. I do wish that, at some stage, he'd have conquered Wimbledon, as his record there and at Queens entitles him to be known as one of the grass court greats - but alas, it wasn't meant to be. But an Ivanisevic type of moment for him at SW19 would have been enjoyed by many, I think.

Still, he has a US Open title to ease the pain, as well as a well-deserved year end number one ranking in what was a very decent year (2003), a few Masters 1000 shields and great popularity amongst most of his contemporaries.

Tennis will be poorer for his retirment, I think.

Congratulations on a great career, Andy.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:59 am

I admire Andy Roddick. He always give his all in each match he plays and although his game has limitations he made the very most out of the strengths he did have. Enjoy your retirement Andy Roddick,
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:01 am

Indeed, as much as he has been a servebot in majority of the career, at least that was a BIG weapon when he was fresh. Much of the top 20 is made up of mediocre baseliners bringing zero excitement to the game. Hewitt, Davydenko and Haas will be not far behind too. steam
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:23 am

88Chris05 wrote:It's a sad day to see this man retire - his game over the past few years hasn't been the most charming to watch, but the 2003 / 2004 version of Roddick was a wonderful operator.

He's been very, very good for the sport. Popular with the ladies, down to earth but also hugely charismatic and engaging as a personality.

I remember that Wimbledon 2009 final incredibly vividly, and probably always will. Was on holiday in Gran Canaria and, as none of my mates were big on tennis, I slumped off on my own to a virtually empty little sports bar to watch; I was absolutely heartbroken for Roddick at the end. I do wish that, at some stage, he'd have conquered Wimbledon, as his record there and at Queens entitles him to be known as one of the grass court greats - but alas, it wasn't meant to be. But an Ivanisevic type of moment for him at SW19 would have been enjoyed by many, I think.

Still, he has a US Open title to ease the pain, as well as a well-deserved year end number one ranking in what was a very decent year (2003), a few Masters 1000 shields and great popularity amongst most of his contemporaries.

Congratulations on a great career, Andy.
I totally agree with you Chris thumbsup

btw you should post more on the tennis forum, you'll like it I think Wink

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down