The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sturm vs Geale SPOILERS

+4
88Chris05
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
BoxingFan88
hampo17
8 posters

Go down

Sturm vs Geale SPOILERS Empty Sturm vs Geale SPOILERS

Post by hampo17 Sat 01 Sep 2012, 11:14 pm

Fights just finished and Sturm lost a split decision. Reading Dan Rafael on twitter it was a close fight that could have gone either way, but apparently Macklins performance was much more convincing than Geale and shows how poor that decision was.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Sturm vs Geale SPOILERS Empty Re: Sturm vs Geale SPOILERS

Post by BoxingFan88 Sat 01 Sep 2012, 11:21 pm

I watched the entire fight and it wasn't close at all in my opinion. Geale outworked, outlanded and outfought Sturm, I thought 2 of the judges were bang on. Geale hurt Sturm badly in the middle rounds and kept the pressure on him, he did a better and more intelligent job than Macklin and also didn't fade at the end.

I had it 117-111 to Geale, I don't know what fight the commentators were watching. I also picked Sturm to win and win big. His jab was for the most part anonymous and he got out fought in nearly every round.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sat 01 Sep 2012, 11:23 pm

For a non German to win by such wide margins, it has to be clear and it was. Hopefully someone else can give another perspective, because I thought it was pretty clear cut.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sat 01 Sep 2012, 11:25 pm

Just to be clear I haven't watched the fight, followed it on twitter.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat 01 Sep 2012, 11:27 pm

Was a pretty good fight, close but Geale deservedly won 116-112 imo

Sturm may need to start looking at retirement. He has had a good long career but he is declining and no offence to Macklin, Murray etc but he hasn't been fighting the big names at the weight and e is struggling with them

He beat Zbik who was a paper champ but you could say he deserved to lose vs Macklin and even Murray. He is showing stamina problems and has taken a lot of punches in his last few fight.

He is lucky imo that he lost because Golovkin would have really hurt him. Zbik, Geale, Macklin and Murray are all fairly light punchers but they all had Sturm backing up. Golovkin is a dynamite puncher so if Sturm tried to cover up and defend like he always did he would have been seriously busted up

Geale fought very well and showed a lot of heart and decent skills but not enough to suggest he could beat Martinez, Golovkin, Chavez etc

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sat 01 Sep 2012, 11:32 pm

Thank heavens it wasn't only me who had it wider, I was thinking I was losing my mind, some of the rounds that commentator was scoring the other way nearly made fall out of my chair!

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sat 01 Sep 2012, 11:34 pm

Also how much perspective does this put on Chavez? Struggled with Zbik, who then got dominated by Sturm and Sturm didn't look at all that good tonight.

Geale really impressed me tonight, but he should still stay away from Golovkin and Martinez. Probably hoping they will knock each other out.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 02 Sep 2012, 2:37 pm

Just saw the fight - had it 116-112 to Geale. Wouldn't say it was a particularly close fight, to be honest.

Think this might be the end of Sturm at the top level. I thought he got away with murder against Macklin, and he looked flat - to say the least - last night. The leading 160 pounders have passed him by and he's just too small for a successful run against the top Super-Middleweights, I'd imagine.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 02 Sep 2012, 6:20 pm

117-111 Was suprisingly easy for Geale, tightish early, but Geale took over and won very comfortably.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sun 02 Sep 2012, 6:42 pm

thought it was very close. i had 114-114. it was obvious that if the fight was close sturm would lose. he gets little bias in germany. he was clearly robbed of a clear victory against murray after people kicking up a storm after his close fight with macklin.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sun 02 Sep 2012, 9:34 pm

to be fair he blatently lost against macklin- did you have that a draw to?

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 02 Sep 2012, 9:55 pm

Many people thought Murray beat him as well.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 02 Sep 2012, 11:21 pm

I thought there were many close rounds, all of which were edged by Geale. I forget my exact score but I had a long way ahead.

Who was the commentator for boxnation? I turned him down and put a CD on by the time of Sturm v Geale. In the Chagaev fight (which Ruslan won every second of) his opponent was leaning on the ropes between rounds shaking his head. The commentator said "He's shaking his head as if to say 'yes, I'm comfortable in there I can do this.'" It was like he just said the first random thoughts that came to mind.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down