The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should the Lions play their Pre-tour game at home?

+8
Driver
red_stag
kiakahaaotearoa
LondonTiger
LordDowlais
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
HERSH
12 posters

Go down

Should the Lions play their Pre-tour game at home? Empty Should the Lions play their Pre-tour game at home?

Post by HERSH Wed 05 Sep 2012, 9:42 am

Great so the Lions have a friendly against the Baabaas in HONG KONG!!!!

Surely it would have been good to have the Lions play at home before flying out to Aus.

Not all fans can afford to follow the Lions around the Globe, yet many will once again buy an over priced Lions shirt that looks no different to the last one, it would have made sense to have a game like the Lions did in 2005 v Arg at the MS.

Who knows maybe we could have sung the Lions anthem again?

Last edited by HERSH on Wed 05 Sep 2012, 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Should the Lions play their Pre-tour game at home? Empty Re: Should the Lions play their Pre-tour game at home?

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 05 Sep 2012, 9:46 am

Home being the capital city London right?

Yes it probably wouldve been but this solves that thorny issue, means they get to spread the Lions brand globally ( ie help pay for their existance), get the players away from home distractions (press) and means they dont have such a long flight to get to Aus.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Should the Lions play their Pre-tour game at home? Empty Re: Should the Lions play their Pre-tour game at home?

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 05 Sep 2012, 9:49 am

I find it strange that they didn't consult you personally, Hersh, before organising the fixture schedule

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed 05 Sep 2012, 9:53 am

Twickers is the home of rugby union.

They could have played a 2nd in HK to shorten the flight.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 05 Sep 2012, 9:57 am

HERSH wrote:Twickers is the home of rugby union.

They could have played a 2nd in HK to shorten the flight.

Are you sure Twickers is the home of rugby union and not the Rec, Hershy ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 05 Sep 2012, 10:23 am

HERSH wrote:Twickers is the home of rugby union.

It also has restrictions on the number of games that can be staged there in a year.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 05 Sep 2012, 10:45 am

The Lions are a touring team and as such should only play away.

Just my opinion.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 05 Sep 2012, 11:12 am

Let's hope they get the pricing much better than Australia and NZ did. Big corporate sector to tap into but you need more than that to fill a stadium.

Home game would be pointless for the Lions. They need to learn how to play away. They have enough games already. Why add to their schedule just to appease some people who aren't making the trip out? Do you want a Lions torch to go through all the UK villages and towns before flying out from London? I don't think you'll get it on the plane in any event.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 05 Sep 2012, 11:15 am

LondonTiger wrote:The Lions are a touring team and as such should only play away.

Just my opinion.

I agree
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 05 Sep 2012, 11:44 am

red_stag wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:The Lions are a touring team and as such should only play away.

Just my opinion.

I agree

Most of the team will be Welsh, Twickers is away to them even if London is their capital.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed 05 Sep 2012, 11:47 am

Not too sure about a torch, but what about the Lion cuddly toy that sits next to the pitch on match days.

Wasn't the MS in 2005 close to a sell out?

Lots of money to be had from having one game every four years on these shores.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Wed 05 Sep 2012, 11:47 am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:I find it strange that they didn't consult you personally, Hersh, before organising the fixture schedule

I thought that , you know with Hersh being the fountain of all bullshiote.
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed 05 Sep 2012, 11:50 am

Erm?
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Wed 05 Sep 2012, 7:44 pm

I would have thought that since London is their home, then a match in Dublin or Paris would be a good place for the Lions to play the Barbarians. They'd be on foreign soil away from Home.......
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed 05 Sep 2012, 8:24 pm

The british and Irish lions in Dublin would be on foreign soil???

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Thu 06 Sep 2012, 1:49 pm

Apart from the obvious stopover convenience of Hong Kong.

One of the main sponsors for the Lions are HSBC so that would have been a factor to.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Thu 06 Sep 2012, 2:52 pm

I live nearer to the MS than to HQ, so MS is the most convenient for me. Someone ask Hersh to inform the Lions management of my personal preference in this, thanks.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 06 Sep 2012, 6:46 pm

He lives nearer there too, just he'd get turned back at the border

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down