The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dream US Open Final

+13
Gerry SA
User 774433
HM Murdock
JuliusHMarx
socal1976
slashermcguirk
lydian
djlovesyou
luciusmann
The Special Juan
time please
banbrotam
hawkeye
17 posters

Go down

What is the dream US Open Final?

Dream US Open Final Vote_lcap16%Dream US Open Final Vote_rcap 16% 
[ 3 ]
Dream US Open Final Vote_lcap16%Dream US Open Final Vote_rcap 16% 
[ 3 ]
Dream US Open Final Vote_lcap37%Dream US Open Final Vote_rcap 37% 
[ 7 ]
Dream US Open Final Vote_lcap0%Dream US Open Final Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Dream US Open Final Vote_lcap5%Dream US Open Final Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 1 ]
Dream US Open Final Vote_lcap26%Dream US Open Final Vote_rcap 26% 
[ 5 ]

Total Votes : 19

Dream US Open Final Empty Dream US Open Final

Post by hawkeye Wed 05 Sep 2012, 3:10 pm

We can't have a dream final at this years US Open because IMO (and not just my opinion) one of the players is not in the draw. So of the players that can in reality still make it who would provide the best final. I have chosen what I consider to be the most popular match ups. If your dream match hasn't been included please say what it is.

Mine for sentimental reasons is Federer Roddick.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Dream US Open Final Empty Re: Dream US Open Final

Post by banbrotam Wed 05 Sep 2012, 3:13 pm

Yes! Why wasn't Rafa included?

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Wed 05 Sep 2012, 3:13 pm

I'd love to see Fed in the final, but equally (or nearly equally Wink ) I would love to see Murray there too and to take it one step further this time.

Would be fab to see A-Rod go out on such a high - but not hopeful there.

I don't really mind between a Fed vs Djoker or a Murray vs Djoker

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Wed 05 Sep 2012, 3:14 pm

Murray / Kolschrieber. Simply because the only time they met, Andy got his backside spanked by that lovely backhand

Andy, doesn't always do well against multi dimensional players

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 05 Sep 2012, 3:21 pm

I have just checked Murray/Kolschrieber H2H! I'm sure no-one will believe me when I say I didn't realise that Murray had never beaten him... But it is the truth. I wanted to put Murray against a relatively easy opponent as I thought it might be popular...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 05 Sep 2012, 3:23 pm

time please

Roddick can do it. You just have to believe...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Wed 05 Sep 2012, 3:25 pm

No love for Ferrer? Sad
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Wed 05 Sep 2012, 3:25 pm

I actually don't see him as easier, for Murray, than say DP

In fairness the Murray of today would win, but the German's all court energetic court coverage game, isn't something that Murray would choose to face

Plus of course all the pressure would be on him

I mean can you imagine the comments if he lost, from the media

Or you, Hawkeye Wink

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 05 Sep 2012, 3:28 pm

So in that case would it still be your dream final? My dream final is Roddick Federer even though I know Roddick might have an easier time against someone else.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 05 Sep 2012, 3:29 pm

I might love Ferrer if it were not for Roddick retiring...

I have a sneaky suspicion that Djokovic Murray is not a popular choice.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Wed 05 Sep 2012, 3:32 pm

hawkeye wrote:time please

Roddick can do it. You just have to believe...

Whatever you are smoking......pass it over Wink Very Happy

Seriously, it would be fab but I think I will just make sure I watch all the Delpo encounter!

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Wed 05 Sep 2012, 3:34 pm

Easy: Federer Vs Djokovic. The reason is simple, I don't regard Federer Vs Nadal a dream final simply because although the matches have the increased tension in the air and an electric atmosphere, the result is usually a Nadal win. How anyone can find a match where the result is beyond doubt particularly great, I don't know. Also, most of the matches Fed and Nadal play in grand slams have ended in 4 sets recently, you have to go back to 2009 when it was a 5 set epic. If it's 5 sets then yes, it's exciting, but it hasn't happened between these two in 3 1/2 years.

Federer Vs Djokovic offers the most excitement, especially as in the last 2 years running (@ the USO), the matches have been immensely close (both players having match points but both ending with Djokovic winning) so not only are the two closely matched but they go the distance with all the added drama. Despite Djokovic's recent woes and flat performances against Roger, he still managed an epic 5 setter in 2010, before his remarkable run, so I still believe he will give us a great match even if he were to lose to Federer. There is the sentimental reason of having Fed Vs Nadal however, the same is true for Fed Vs Djokovic, as Fed has lost 2 years running having come so close to being in the final, thus a win would really add more sparkle to their rivalry. Personally, I find that matches between Fed and Djokovic are coming close to approaching the same vibe as Federer Vs Nadal.

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Wed 05 Sep 2012, 3:36 pm

My dream final is Me vs Elmo from Sesame Street.

That's the last time I eat cheese so close to bedtime.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 05 Sep 2012, 3:42 pm

luciusmann

I love watching matches with "increased tension in the air and an electric atmosphere"! That's why my pick is Roddick Federer as with Nadal missing I think this is the match most capable of providing it. My second favourite would be Federer Djokovic. How strange is it that these two have only met once in a slam final... way back in 2007?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 05 Sep 2012, 3:45 pm

Sharapova and Ivanovic naked and me as chair umpire.

Oh wait Headscratch you did say dream didn't you?

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Wed 05 Sep 2012, 3:50 pm

Laugh

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed 05 Sep 2012, 4:18 pm

For the women, and on that front, all interest went out for me after Goerges lost in the first round Sad
At least it cant be a gruntfest of Shriekapova vs Basher-renka.

Cilic vs Ferrer .... dream or rather nightmare final? Ferrer - good guy with cardboard game, Cilic - cardboard guy with cardboard game.
I'd almost rather watch the agricultural game of Granollers. Almost.
I mean honestly, has any tennis pro ever had a more vacant look on their face than Granollers?
Even after winning match point he looks like he's just been "Tango'ed"...click below for reference image.

The Granoller Match Point Look
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Wed 05 Sep 2012, 5:07 pm

I think federer vs djokovic would be most entertaining. They do seem to produce magic at the us open, particularly last couple of years. I remember in 2007 final thinking djokovic was the real deal. He had federer on the ropes and should have won the first 2 sets. He had several set points in both sets. He was very young and inexperienced though and the occasion may have prevented him pulling it off against federer at such a young age.

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Wed 05 Sep 2012, 5:10 pm

hawkeye wrote:luciusmann

I love watching matches with "increased tension in the air and an electric atmosphere"! That's why my pick is Roddick Federer as with Nadal missing I think this is the match most capable of providing it. My second favourite would be Federer Djokovic. How strange is it that these two have only met once in a slam final... way back in 2007?

There is tension in the air with a Fed Vs Roddick final, although again, the result is a little predictable, don't you think? Roddick has to play his absolute best to come close to even beating Fed whereas Fed just usually needs to be good enough to beat Roddick (noticeable exception being Wimbledon '09).

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed 05 Sep 2012, 5:29 pm

Fed vs Roddick is like Borg vs Gerulaitis.
"No-one beats Roddick 21 times!"

Makes me laugh how Wiki has a link called The Federer-Roddick Rivalry.

Given the 21-3 H2H, I say what rivalry!
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 05 Sep 2012, 6:09 pm

Yeah I am sure a lot of fed fans would love Roddick in the finals, that would be a dream final for fed and his legion of fans but I don't think it would be very competive. I don't like watching tennis matches just for the trophy presentation. The best final obviously and the dream final is Djoko v. Fed. 1 and 2 battling it out for the year end #1. I am not that sentimental for poor ole Roddick and his tens of millions and model wife to want to watch that slaughter in the final.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 05 Sep 2012, 6:22 pm

Murray vs Delpo

But any final on the Sunday this year would be OK

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 05 Sep 2012, 6:30 pm

Probably Murray vs Federer - but maybe that's what we'll get for a semi-final. The winner of that match, assuming they play late and have to play the final the next day, will then lose to Djokovic, assuming he gets to the final.

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 05 Sep 2012, 6:38 pm

socal1976

Last time Roddick played Federer in a slam final it was competitive. I would count myself as a Federer fan but on this occasion I would be cheering for Roddick. This is still a "dream" final anyway. Both players (and particularly Roddick...) still have a long way to go.

Lets be honest we can't cheer for any top player because they need the money or because it would help them "capture" a nice wife. If this was the case no one would ever cheer for Federer as he has won nearly all the money and easily has the best wife. Also you would alway's cheer for Djokovic's opponents as he isn't doing too badly either.

I have no idea TBH why we cheer for these millionaire tennis players anyway... We should all spend our time doing something more worthy.

Nore Staat

Well no you can't have Murray Federer as you said yourself. So who would be in your dream FINAL. Or is any final bound to be a disappointment this year?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 05 Sep 2012, 6:46 pm

hawkeye wrote:We should all spend our time doing something more worthy.

You mean like moderating a forum?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Wed 05 Sep 2012, 7:43 pm

Fed v Djoko for me.

Best hard court pedigree currently available in the game - 9 slams v 4 slams.

Number 1 v number 2 who, remarkably have not met in a hard court slam final for 5 years!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Wed 05 Sep 2012, 8:04 pm

Roddick vs Federer is every Fed fan's dream while sleeping.

Del Potro vs Murray, a potentially cracking match, and would create a fantastic conclusion to a thread I created a few months back. thumbsup

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Wed 05 Sep 2012, 11:12 pm

Would love to see Del Potro vs Federer\Berdych in the final.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu 06 Sep 2012, 1:14 am

luciusmann wrote:Easy: Federer Vs Djokovic. The reason is simple, I don't regard Federer Vs Nadal a dream final simply because although the matches have the increased tension in the air and an electric atmosphere, the result is usually a Nadal win. How anyone can find a match where the result is beyond doubt particularly great, I don't know. Also, most of the matches Fed and Nadal play in grand slams have ended in 4 sets recently, you have to go back to 2009 when it was a 5 set epic. If it's 5 sets then yes, it's exciting, but it hasn't happened between these two in 3 1/2 years.

Federer Vs Djokovic offers the most excitement, especially as in the last 2 years running (@ the USO), the matches have been immensely close (both players having match points but both ending with Djokovic winning) so not only are the two closely matched but they go the distance with all the added drama. Despite Djokovic's recent woes and flat performances against Roger, he still managed an epic 5 setter in 2010, before his remarkable run, so I still believe he will give us a great match even if he were to lose to Federer. There is the sentimental reason of having Fed Vs Nadal however, the same is true for Fed Vs Djokovic, as Fed has lost 2 years running having come so close to being in the final, thus a win would really add more sparkle to their rivalry. Personally, I find that matches between Fed and Djokovic are coming close to approaching the same vibe as Federer Vs Nadal.

Great post couldn't say it better myself. Fed and Djoko has the added appeal of the world 1 and 2 playing for the year end crown effectively or at least player of the year. There are scenarios that one or the other could lose and be year end #1. But because they both have one slam this year and are so close in the points race most likely this is the decider, and it would certainly decide the player of the year if not the #1. In all sports when you get 1 v. 2 matchups they are special. Plus I think Novak and Roger bring quite a bit of emotion and fire to the rivalry and now have a track record of playing each other in big matches more so than each man has played Nadal. Plus I don't think they have ever played in a grandslam final? Oddly they always play in the semi, hmmmm. So a rivalry of this stature almost requires a grandslam final between the two as a culmination.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Thu 06 Sep 2012, 1:20 am

socal come on as a novak fan you should know his gs final appearances.

his first one! at the US open 2007 remember??
where he got the nickname chokovic

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu 06 Sep 2012, 5:31 am

Murray v. Del Boy

On paper it's a good draw for Murray, but it's a good battle for bragging rights outside the top 3 too - the consistent winner of Masters, best player never to win a slam and all that against the powerful but slightly patchy one-slam winner who has come back from injury. You'd also see Murray having to open up his box of tricks to get round Del Boy. Bring it on I say.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu 06 Sep 2012, 6:55 am

LuvSports! wrote:socal come on as a novak fan you should know his gs final appearances.

What an ignorant comment! Presumably just an attempt to wind up a Djokovic fan. Djokovic arrived at that final (his first slam final) as a 20 year old having just beaten Nadal and Federer back to back in Canada. He didn't "choke" he was beaten in a close match by Federer. Who if you hadn't noticed is quite a good player. Djokovic went on to win the very next slam (still as a 20 year old!) beating Federer in the semi's.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 06 Sep 2012, 7:10 am

hawkeye wrote:
LuvSports! wrote:socal come on as a novak fan you should know his gs final appearances.

What an ignorant comment! Presumably just an attempt to wind up a Djokovic fan. Djokovic arrived at that final (his first slam final) as a 20 year old having just beaten Nadal and Federer back to back in Canada. He didn't "choke" he was beaten in a close match by Federer. Who if you hadn't noticed is quite a good player. Djokovic went on to win the very next slam (still as a 20 year old!) beating Federer in the semi's.
Actually he's right; on 606 the Fed-haters had built this match up as Feds cupuppance and Dr_Sincere was dancing at 6-5, 40-0 Djokovic, so much so he called the set over. That was what prompted the legendary "Premature Speculation" diagnoses that saw Sincere get off the forum for months.

They were so upset at his defeat that they called him Chokovic.

LuvSports is factually correct here.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Thu 06 Sep 2012, 8:55 am

Gosh socal - I can't believe you didn't remember the 2007 US final between TMF and Novak! When ND got revenge against Fed at the following slam, the AO he looked as if he could become quite dominant, but that didn't happen for a further 3 years.

2007 was a pretty closely fought final too and he really announced himself as a major (forgive pun) threat.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Thu 06 Sep 2012, 11:53 am

hawkeye wrote:

how on earth is that ignorant??!!?
what a ridiculous comment. If you actually watch the match djokovic had many set points in the first set and had a lead in the 2nd and i think the 3rd.
I never called him chokovic but that is what people called him so just calm down alright! jeeeesssshh.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu 06 Sep 2012, 3:54 pm

Ok. Just didn't like a 20 year old being called a choker in a first slam final up against a multi slam winning all time great. As if the multi slam winning all time great had no say in the outcome.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Thu 06 Sep 2012, 4:56 pm

The box office clash would be Murray v Djokovic now, obviously. That is also the final I personally want to see.

I think it's far from certain though. Berdych will be flying after his win over Roger, and Novak faces a difficult quarter final.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down