The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arsenal Thread

+40
Bull
Dave.
talkingpoint
Liam
Diggers
Il Gialloblu
The Special Juan
mystiroakey
davidl1061
John Cregan
Hemmingway
compelling and rich
ncfc_Tooze
GG
The genius of PBF
User 774433
jbeadlesbigrighthand
liverbnz
socal1976
Stella
nadeem2099
Kay Fabe
nasisillmatic
Lumbering_Jack
Nakatomi Plaza
Josiah Maiestas
TRUSSMAN66
TopHat24/7
lorus59
Duty281
Zinedine_Ze_Zebra
wadey101
Crimey
Fernando
Smirnoffpriest
JamesLincs
Good Golly I'm Olly
GSC
Soldier_Of_Fortune
azania
44 posters

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Arsenal Thread - Page 5 Empty Arsenal Thread

Post by azania Wed 05 Sep 2012, 3:56 pm

First topic message reminder :

Surprised the isn't one yet.

In

Carzola
Giroud
Podolski

Out

Deadwood (exept Squilacchi and Chamakh)
RvP/Berba clone hopefully

I actually believe that Arsenal are stronger than last year. Carzola is a great buy for us. Giroud, although he hasn't scored yet makes terrific runs and in time will score 15+ per year.

Our defense has been tightened by Bould's astute style.

My prediction? Arsenal will end up 2nd behind City. UCL semi and win something (CO-Cup).

Discuss.

azania

Back to top Go down

Arsenal Thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Arsenal Thread

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 20 Oct 2012, 8:20 pm

The genius of PBF wrote:Oh dear Olly...Could be 3 points from 8 games. Wink

Whistle
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 20 Oct 2012, 8:20 pm

Olly wrote:#GonnagetbeatbytheNorwich

Grant Holt heart heart heart heart heart heart
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Sat 20 Oct 2012, 11:43 pm

I said could not would be 3 points...Congrats on your first league win.

Been a long time coming...Hopefully it doesn't take you another 8 games to win again.

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 22 Oct 2012, 9:36 pm

Wow can't say how terrible the guys played the last week. I haven't seen an arsenal game where we looked that inept in attack and so unlikely to score at any point in the match. Credit to norwich and congrats to olly you called your shot on that one mate.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 23 Oct 2012, 10:18 am

wasnt too impressed with arsenal this week, had a bet on and every team was in, just had to wait until arsenal beat norwich for it to come in mad

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Tue 23 Oct 2012, 10:56 am

I wonder am I the only one who doesn't think Wilshere is that special? What did he do that was so special before he got injured?

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 23 Oct 2012, 11:28 am

He can take on players, pass it and looks assured on the ball and not to many English players can do these simple thing's.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Tue 23 Oct 2012, 12:02 pm

He has played 35 times in the league for Arsenal and has scored the grand total of 1 goal and 3 assists. Not great for an attacking midfielder.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Tue 23 Oct 2012, 12:19 pm

lorus59 wrote:He has played 35 times in the league for Arsenal and has scored the grand total of 1 goal and 3 assists. Not great for an attacking midfielder.

It's stats like this that really annoy me.

Last season I believe Luka Modric had the exact same stats, but if you actually watched him play you would see just how good he really was.
There is more to an assist than just being the last person to pass the ball to the goalscorer. I wish people could not judge a player on stats and actually watch them play.

As stated previously, Jack Wilshire is comfortable with the ball, can beat a man, and can pick a pass, while playing as an attacking midfielder. That is very rare for an Englishman so there is a lot of hype around him. From what I've seen of him before his injury he was on his way to justifying that hype.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 23 Oct 2012, 12:22 pm

Paul Scholes' stats are probably just OK as well but I tend not to look at these too much.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Tue 23 Oct 2012, 12:28 pm

I am not saying he is not a decent player. But as you say there is a lot of hype. How would compare him to Fabragas of the same age?

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Tue 23 Oct 2012, 12:39 pm

Before his injury I'd say he was on par with Fabragas at the same age, I remember Cesc really made strides forward in 2007 at the age of 19 or 20(Arsenal fans will no better).
Having missed over a year of football though will surely slow down his progress so by the time he reaches 21, he may not have hit the heights as Fabregas had but who knows.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 23 Oct 2012, 12:55 pm

I think he has been hyped up a little due to the fact he's English. Give him a Spanish passport and he becomes just another player. Spain have loads of his type but we don't, hence the hype.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Tue 23 Oct 2012, 2:01 pm

We English love a bit of hype.

Wilshere will probably never live up to the hype but he will more than likely become a really good footballer, much like Wayne Rooney.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue 23 Oct 2012, 2:51 pm

nasisillmatic wrote:We English love a bit of hype.

Wilshere will probably never live up to the hype but he will more than likely become a really good footballer, much like Wayne Rooney.

I agree. I don't think Wilshere will even be as good as Fabregas or Cazorla to be honest. I understand why he made the move, and I'm sure Fabregas is perfectly happy at Barcelona, especially if they win some trophies this year, but I can't help but feel moving there has stunted his development, at Arsenal and in the Premier League, he was genuinely world class, at Barca he's used to just fill holes and can't run the game in the same way he could when the team was centred around him.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Tue 23 Oct 2012, 3:04 pm

I also think moving to Barca when he did was a bad move. I no he has a bond with the club, but he is still young and I feel it would have suited him better to move a few years later, when Xavi and Iniesta are not the forces they are.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Thu 25 Oct 2012, 11:11 am

Schalke Erm
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 25 Oct 2012, 4:13 pm

Apparantly at the AGM your guys said you have £70m spare cash????? SPEND IT THEN LOL
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 25 Oct 2012, 4:15 pm

LIES ALL LIES OLLY

Arsenal have no cash. Never. Not a penny. They're paupers, victims of the system. They only have transfer receipts to spend.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu 25 Oct 2012, 5:46 pm

lorus59 wrote:I wonder am I the only one who doesn't think Wilshere is that special? What did he do that was so special before he got injured?

I think he is that special, of course Ramsey and wilshere are my two favorite gunners at the moment. I like that he is a total package midfielder who does have the skill to hold the ball up or go by a defender, at the same time his got some ruggedness to him and isn't scared to get stuck in either which is a bit different than guys like fabregas or cazorla. In the end I think he can become a world class midfielder, now whether he will do it or not depends on a lot of variables like his role on the team and injuries. Still I think when he comes back fully fit he will be a big addition. Unfortunately, Arsenal's problems are not in the midfield. Mannone is a bad goal keeper, Santos wants to play winger and not fullback, Vermalean wants to be a forward, and we still haven't figured out how to defend a set piece.

I for one will admit that I was way too optimistic about this team and their chances after the early part of the season. The schalke and Norwich matches cured me of that exuberance. It isn't too late this team can still get a cup trophy if we are lucky and get a CL berth for next year. I take the league cup and CL berth at this point as a good season for this team. Now we know why the management was so keen about bringing in another striker, because the midfield is great as usual but in all other areas of the pitch we need help to beat the big clubs.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu 25 Oct 2012, 5:47 pm

When Sagna comes back how about moving either him or jenkinson out to the left and sending Santos out of the picture for some seasoning? He was absolutely attrocious in the Schalke game, Farfan abused him horribly.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 26 Oct 2012, 7:37 am

nasisillmatic wrote:
lorus59 wrote:He has played 35 times in the league for Arsenal and has scored the grand total of 1 goal and 3 assists. Not great for an attacking midfielder.

It's stats like this that really annoy me.

Last season I believe Luka Modric had the exact same stats, but if you actually watched him play you would see just how good he really was.
There is more to an assist than just being the last person to pass the ball to the goalscorer. I wish people could not judge a player on stats and actually watch them play.

As stated previously, Jack Wilshire is comfortable with the ball, can beat a man, and can pick a pass, while playing as an attacking midfielder. That is very rare for an Englishman so there is a lot of hype around him. From what I've seen of him before his injury he was on his way to justifying that hype.

Yer its the same with Downing Laugh

But on a serious note, Luka Modric was a deep lying playmaker. As Wilshire is playing the AMC role, surely he should score more and have more assists. Its comes with the territory!

Last edited by Soldier_Of_Fortune on Fri 26 Oct 2012, 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 26 Oct 2012, 8:49 am

Wenger actually played Wilshere as a deep lying playmaker, I don't think it's Wilshere's natural position but Wenger was definitely trying to turn him into one before his injury.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 26 Oct 2012, 12:31 pm

When Wilshere played last year it was with Song and Arteta, Arteta was the AM, and Wilshere and Song played more deep lying and even DM positions.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 26 Oct 2012, 3:33 pm

Has Wilshire played in the same team as Arteta?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 26 Oct 2012, 4:30 pm

Apologies for the brain fart - I of course meant Fabergas, Song and Wilshere!

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 29 Oct 2012, 5:41 am

Smirnoff what is going on with Arsenal's offensive woes as of late what is prognosis, what is the cure?

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 29 Oct 2012, 1:04 pm

I'm really not sure I didn't see the Schalke game but it seems to me that we have the same problem as previous seasons where by we don't play with enough urgency to be able to unlock teams who put 10 men behind the ball as soon as they lose it. And then as a result we end up playing everything through just 1 or 2 players (such as Santi) and makes it quite easy to deny 1 or 2 players space and time.

We were woeful against Norwich, and annoyingly, while we had 65% of the possesion Norwich still caused us lots of problems at the back, while we created hardly anything.

I'm sure we'll pick it up and our form will improve (we almost always do) the problem is however that we've dropped a fair few points we couldn't afford and we haven't the consistency to catch and stay with the best teams (or at least we haven't proved it yet).

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 29 Oct 2012, 1:06 pm

Still I suppose the positives are that we won, we have Sagna, Walcott & Wilshere back and there's noises that we'll be making a big signing in January

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 29 Oct 2012, 2:46 pm

Apparently Ben Arfa will be coming over as a Walcott replacement. God knows why we need to replace as oppose to strengthen. I rate Walcott and I reckon we should do all we can to keep him. He will score back of goals and also make goals through his movement and speed.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 29 Oct 2012, 2:48 pm

I heard that but it just sounds like lazy journalist conjecture - Walcott hasn't signed a contract, so they've just found another player at another (in their eyes) smaller club and immediately run a story about how one will obviously replace the other...

I agree though, we should definately look to keep Walcott

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 29 Oct 2012, 3:05 pm

Didn't catch the game at the weekend, how'd Wilshere fare in his comeback?

Really hope he re-establishes himself as a first team regular for England's sake, thought pre-layoff that he had the kind of spark and creativity England so desperately lack from centre midfield.

Also, anyone else heard the rumour that at least part of his lay-off was fabricated as a cover-up for getting caught doing coke? Have heard that doing the rounds a few times now back home (N Herts).

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 29 Oct 2012, 3:15 pm

Haven't heard that - but sounds very unlikely (almost National Enquirer-esque!)

He was very good, but lot being made of his long awaited comeback and impact and it's getting a bit over-board. I wouldn't be surprised if either A) he's a long way off (4months+) away from being ready to play international football (he's now being rested for the Reading game as he's not ready to play 2 games in a row) OR B England will rush him back on a wave of tabloid headlines saying he's the answer to all Englands ills, and he gets injured for another 3-5 months...

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Mon 29 Oct 2012, 3:18 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Didn't catch the game at the weekend, how'd Wilshere fare in his comeback?

Really hope he re-establishes himself as a first team regular for England's sake, thought pre-layoff that he had the kind of spark and creativity England so desperately lack from centre midfield.

Also, anyone else heard the rumour that at least part of his lay-off was fabricated as a cover-up for getting caught doing coke? Have heard that doing the rounds a few times now back home (N Herts).

I'd take that rumour with a pinch of salt, whenever a player has a long lay off this rumour always creeps up. We had it with Agger a few years ago.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 29 Oct 2012, 3:30 pm

Yeh, the only reason I gave it a second thought was that it was very much a 'local' rumour as Jack is a Hitchin lad originally so it felt like a hint on inside-track. Haven't heard it anywhere else, just when I go home to visit family or old school-mates.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 29 Oct 2012, 3:40 pm

I'd have no idea if it's true TBH - the one thing I would say is that it would be unlikely for Wenger to throw a coke-taking player straight back in the team unless he worked really hard at repenpting and reformed himself (ala Tony Adams and Paul Merson), and Wilshere seems to be the same he was before the injury (going by press reports, his statements and Arsenal.com).

And Wenger doesn't like players with the wrong attitude, or players who don't look after their bodies (and while coke isn't a performance enhancer, or would only make people lose weight - it's not exactly a good way to stay at the top of your game).

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 29 Oct 2012, 3:43 pm

He's got a little baby. The only thing he's been sniffing are dirty nappies Very Happy
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 29 Oct 2012, 3:45 pm

Stella wrote:He's got a little baby. The only thing he's been sniffing are dirty nappies Very Happy

give me coke any day!!! Laugh

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 29 Oct 2012, 3:47 pm

Ha, true..........cheaper than nappies as well Smile
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Mon 29 Oct 2012, 3:51 pm

When you think about the rumour its so stupid. Who banned him the F.A.? If so it would have been all over the papers.

So if it isn't the F.A. that means only Arsenal new about it and banned him? Why would they do that, it only harms them as he is a key player.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 29 Oct 2012, 3:59 pm

Think the point was that Arsenal found out about it but he was never 'caught' (i.e. by drugs test) so they pulled him out the firing line to avoid anything official happening and just kept him on the back-burner for a few months whilst it all blew over.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 29 Oct 2012, 4:16 pm

Anyway you look at it it seems very unlikely, especially when compared to the injuries he obviously suffered 1st back in July 2011, and then in May 2012 (and I think he might have made a comeback between them two and got injured again).

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 29 Oct 2012, 4:25 pm

Yeh, doubt it's true, was just curious whether any Gooners might have heard the same on fan grapevines.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon 29 Oct 2012, 4:34 pm

I heard about it , it's the 3rd thing comes up on google when his name is put in , i very much doubt it's true though

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 29 Oct 2012, 4:36 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:I'm really not sure I didn't see the Schalke game but it seems to me that we have the same problem as previous seasons where by we don't play with enough urgency to be able to unlock teams who put 10 men behind the ball as soon as they lose it. And then as a result we end up playing everything through just 1 or 2 players (such as Santi) and makes it quite easy to deny 1 or 2 players space and time.

We were woeful against Norwich, and annoyingly, while we had 65% of the possesion Norwich still caused us lots of problems at the back, while we created hardly anything.

I'm sure we'll pick it up and our form will improve (we almost always do) the problem is however that we've dropped a fair few points we couldn't afford and we haven't the consistency to catch and stay with the best teams (or at least we haven't proved it yet).

Yes we never looked likely to score against Norwich. To me when teams sit back and defend as you say when tend to play the ball around without that sense of urgency. When the defenses are packed you have to use the full width of the field and also play the passes and make your decisions quicker or you will get caught in possession and open yourself to counters.

Lets hope that we do get a productive big signing later in the season, also Wilshere was about the only guy who played really well his last week and that is a great sign, he looks every bit the player he was before of course with some rustiness and fitness that needs to be worked out. But I thought he was great for a first match back in league.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 30 Oct 2012, 8:35 pm

OH dear, team selection has to be questioned here in the trophy you have the best chance of winning, in fact probably only chance.

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 30 Oct 2012, 9:56 pm

What a comeback. Theo must be kept.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 30 Oct 2012, 10:13 pm

IT appears I spoke to soon, great comeback

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down