The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

T20 World Cup: Live Matches Discussion

+35
jimbohammers
brennomac
atletico86
Gerry SA
trebellbobaggins
Corporalhumblebucket
chrisss
mystiroakey
guildfordbat
Gregers
Hoggy_Bear
JamesLincs
Hibbz
ChequeredJersey
Josiah Maiestas
VTR
Duty281
LondonTiger
msp83
Mike Selig
Biltong
Fists of Fury
JDizzle
Mad for Chelsea
liverbnz
Dave.
KP_fan
GG
alfie
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
ShankyCricket
Shelsey93
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
skyeman
Pal Joey
39 posters

Page 1 of 22 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 22  Next

Go down

T20 World Cup: Live Matches Discussion Empty T20 World Cup: Live Matches Discussion

Post by Pal Joey Thu 06 Sep 2012, 3:24 am

Hi all,

I've set up our very own 606v2 T20 World Cup SuperBru tipping competition for anyone who is interested.

http://www.superbru.com/worldt20/player_home.asp

First game is Sri Lanka v Zimbabwe on Tuesday, September 18 at 19:30 (local time) in Hambantota.

The full list of fixtures is here:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/world-twenty20-2012/content/series/531597.html?template=fixtures

The pool code for 606v2: playsacs

Everyone is welcome.
Enjoy the matches and best of luck to your team.

Who do you think will win?

Last edited by Linebreaker on Thu 27 Sep 2012, 10:03 pm; edited 2 times in total

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

T20 World Cup: Live Matches Discussion Empty Re: T20 World Cup: Live Matches Discussion

Post by skyeman Thu 06 Sep 2012, 3:35 am

In T20, quite honestly it is impossible to say. Anyone of the big seven have a chance.

It is just that type of format where 2 guys can click and the game is more or less over, then the very next game disaster. It is what it is, an absolute lottery.

I expect big scores on most SL tracks. Many 170's to 200, and not that great for the bowlers.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

T20 World Cup: Live Matches Discussion Empty Re: T20 World Cup: Live Matches Discussion

Post by Pal Joey Thu 06 Sep 2012, 4:20 am

I agree with you Skye. Impossible to say.

One thing is for sure though. I reckon Australia will struggle and teams like India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka should do well. England, SA are in with a good shot too and there's maybe an outside chance for a team like the West Indies.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu 06 Sep 2012, 4:48 am

But if one team can have a player who performs over several games as KP did in the last WC, that can make all the difference.

Just as i am typing this, it reminded me of that fantastic Hussey innings in the semi against Pak, it was unbelievable that your guys won that game.

So don't give up hope just yet Lb.

Right, now for some sleep, after watching Murray win and Fed lose Very Happy Good night.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 06 Sep 2012, 5:07 am

The 28? runs off the last over... yes, that was an amazing 'steal'. Very Happy

I won't give up hope. They're (the media here) are saying the match in Dubai yesterday was the "wake-up call we needed" but we're still ranked about 9th.

Things can change quickly though. Are the WC points worth double like in the RWC? Wink

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 06 Sep 2012, 9:47 am

Australia are level on points with Ireland in the ICC rankings now, behind Bangladesh.

They arent that bad surely? It seems to be the sub continent spin heavy teams they have problems with, but have been able to pick up wins over both England and SA recently.

Im really starting to fancy Pakistan or Sri Lanka to take the cup in conditions that will favour them

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Thu 06 Sep 2012, 10:05 am

Australia aren't that good in T20, although the T20 rankings are a bit of a joke (low number of games to consider, and uneven scheduling).

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 06 Sep 2012, 10:07 am

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Australia are level on points with Ireland in the ICC rankings now, behind Bangladesh.

They arent that bad surely? It seems to be the sub continent spin heavy teams they have problems with, but have been able to pick up wins over both England and SA recently.

Im really starting to fancy Pakistan or Sri Lanka to take the cup in conditions that will favour them

Slow starters Pete. Wink Give us a couple more years... please.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Thu 06 Sep 2012, 10:10 am

Can I tweet the code for other people to join? Might also help in fetching a few new members.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 06 Sep 2012, 10:12 am

shankythebiggestengfan wrote:Can I tweet the code for other people to join? Might also help in fetching a few new members.

Go for it Smile
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 06 Sep 2012, 10:14 am

shankythebiggestengfan wrote:Can I tweet the code for other people to join? Might also help in fetching a few new members.

Of course mate... go for it. The more the merrier!

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Thu 06 Sep 2012, 10:19 am

Done!

https://twitter.com/shankyengcric thumbsup

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 06 Sep 2012, 10:24 am

Cheers shanky! thumbsup

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Thu 06 Sep 2012, 10:26 am

I have joined thumbsup

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 06 Sep 2012, 10:33 am

Great. That makes two. Yahoo

A little early I know. Gonna wait about 9-10 days before making picks this time.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 06 Sep 2012, 11:06 am

Linebreaker wrote:
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Australia are level on points with Ireland in the ICC rankings now, behind Bangladesh.

You used to be good! Its only since England accidentaly won the world cup theyve struggled, yet still taken wins against the best two teams in the world.
What strikes me as especially odd is that the pundits keep saying the struggle to find consistent test openers was down to them being too interested in T20 and focussed on that. Now ( and dont take this the wrong way) the lack of quality spinners cant help either, slow bowling is very important in limited overs these days regardless of conditions. As is the ability to play spinners, something all non Asian sides seem to struggle with a bit.

I still find it shocking that in such a short time Australia have dropped from being almost untouchable in limited overs cricket to pretty poor at times. Obviously the rankings are a bit screwy based on very few games that are usually tucked on the end of a series but even so they do reflect that Aus have only lost the vast majority of games since the last world cup. The margin of defeat this time (although as we saw with England, when things start to go wrong early they can go very wrong in any format) only serves to highlight a wider slump.

Honestly though what was the thinking behind Bailey as captain? His domestic record didnt even merit him a place in the side and he lacks international experience. I cant believe the players have full respect for him. I know thinks had gone wrong before he took over but its hard to imagine him being the sudden catalyst to turn things around when he can barely string together a good performance of his own in this format.
Did they just see England have loads of gingers coming through and wanted to get in first?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Thu 06 Sep 2012, 11:33 am

I put the Bailey thing down to Inverarity's confused mind.

Inverarity is a popular figure, and some will call him a genius. But I'm not so sure. Too many theories, too many left-field punts and too much chopping and changing for me.

Inverarity's logic behind the Bailey call would have been that with Clarke retired from T20, Cameron White badly out-of-form and Watson not yet back from injury, somebody with captaincy experience was needed to take the side forward. But I think he made a mistake. Bailey has little T20 or international pedigree and whilst he's not a bad player, working on his game should surely be his priority right now. He doesn't command a place in the T20 side and arguably that will lead to him not being respected by his senior teammates. The sensible move would have been to keep White until Watson got back from injury or to give it to Mike Hussey.

The team itself looks so-so. Warner and Watson are a good opening pair (but opposition teams would be strongly advised to open with spin), and the decision to bat Hussey at three might pay off.

However, unusally for Australia the bowling looks a bit light. Unless he's injured (I haven't heard that he is) I find it bizarre that Ryan Harris, whose a superb bowler in all forms of the game, has been left out for Hilfenhaus who is unsuited to T20.

In the past Australia did well for a while in T20 off the back of three or four 90 mph bowlers who were difficult to get away. Now there is no Lee (retired), Nannes (lost his nip), Tait (hasn't played any cricket since the IPL) or Harris. Cummins is promising but its probably too early for him to lead Australia to a title.

Spin remains a major concern. Hogg could be a shrewd pick, but him, Doherty and Maxwell are one of the weaker spin attacks in the tournament. They won't trouble many batting line-ups.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 06 Sep 2012, 11:35 am

I think it's the cyclical nature of things as well as player skills at any given time, Peter. Also aspects like bowling/batting coaches (we've lost a few) and the determination factor to cut down the top seed is a fantastic driving force if the players believe in their own abilities.

Perfect example was the way England approached the last Ashes here. There was not only that burning desire... you had the players (some of whom had failed before and needed to make amends) and a decent preparation in Oz conditions (which were ironically un-Australian - there was some stats which pointed to England doing well when we had the La Nina and it was spot on). The plan went to script and the rest is history. No offence intended - but England's rise to No.1 was very short lived and it now seems unlikely they will return to the top with all of the current distractions, team changes... hints of uncertainties about the future, etc.

Same thing with India in limited overs (home & away) they were desparate to defeat Australia after some controversial outcomes in previous years and were very, very determined to make one last hurrah before their team would inevitably be dismantled. Then we did them a year or two later (after 2009?) after their disastrous tour of England in 2011. It's damn hard to remain on top of the tree!

Also, (to reiterate the obvious) Australia was in decline - despite the denial by the team/coach and a few pundits. In other words, we were ripe for the picking and got surely plucked! Smile

I also reckon that it's sort of like comparing a top 3 Prem league team with a 5th, 6th or 7th placed team. The gap can seem colossal on some days; not much in it on others. When Man U thrash Spurs 5-0 for instance... most people expect that. On another day if it's 2-1 to Man U, some may think Spurs are pretty close (to the top) but not quite there... yet.

Not sure about the George Bailey promotion. Maybe someone in CA is a fan of "It's A wonderful Life"? As we all know, FC success does not necessarily translate into Test/International cricket. We are just thin in the middle order at the moment or maybe there are players with better potential still being overlooked?

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu 06 Sep 2012, 2:13 pm

England bowler James Anderson has been drafted into the Twenty20 squad to play South Africa as cover for Steven Finn.

No disrespect Wink A small injury/rest for Ravi, maybe we could get another player, cough, in for him.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 06 Sep 2012, 2:24 pm

Is Broad still sitting it out too?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu 06 Sep 2012, 2:39 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Is Broad still sitting it out too?

Nah, he will still be skipper. I hope the rest period helped him.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Thu 06 Sep 2012, 2:42 pm

No, Broad is back as skipper.

When I posted yesterday about Ravi and T20 it slipped my mind that Luke Wright is in the squad. Wright is in very good form, and whilst I'm no real fan of his, he could well bat three as being in good form is so important in T20.

Might try and play Bopara in at least two of the SA games though - we don't want him to go to SL in the form he's in currently.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu 06 Sep 2012, 2:50 pm

Shelsey93 wrote:No, Broad is back as skipper.

When I posted yesterday about Ravi and T20 it slipped my mind that Luke Wright is in the squad. Wright is in very good form, and whilst I'm no real fan of his, he could well bat three as being in good form is so important in T20.

Might try and play Bopara in at least two of the SA games though - we don't want him to go to SL in the form he's in currently.

Agreed, because as much as some {myself included} don't think he should be. Ravi is going to be in SL.

In SL, i guess it will come down to which all rounder should fair better on their tracks, regards who plays. If not both.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu 06 Sep 2012, 3:08 pm

Neither Bops or Wright have much experience of T20i in Asia. Four and two matches respectively.

Bops batting ave; 18, s/r 101 Wrights b ave; 13, sr 162.

Bops bowling ave; 3 wkts @ 15.66, econ 6.71 Wrights bowling ave; 1 wkt @ 48.00, econ 8.00

From those you would have to go with Bops, but from recent times would you risk him??

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Thu 06 Sep 2012, 3:18 pm

A difficult one. Before this latest series Ravi would have been one of the first names on the T20 team sheet.

But form is so important in T20, and unless he can get an innings under his belt before the first tournament match in SL, you've got to go with the man whose hitting the ball well, which is Wright.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 06 Sep 2012, 4:21 pm

The difference in T20 over ODIs is you can get away with more slap and tickle merchants like Wright than you can in the longer format where England need Bopara to realise he is a proper batsman.

As much as my gast was flabbered that theyd even picked Wright for the squad now the job is done, and hes comepting with Boparta for a place, I can accept the idea of him playing.

Neither fills me with confidence. They both have terrible international records.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Fri 07 Sep 2012, 8:33 am

Shelsey93 wrote:A difficult one. Before this latest series Ravi would have been one of the first names on the T20 team sheet.

But form is so important in T20, and unless he can get an innings under his belt before the first tournament match in SL, you've got to go with the man whose hitting the ball well, which is Wright.
A guy with a T20I S/R of barely 100 - one of the first names on the team sheet? Headscratch

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Fri 07 Sep 2012, 9:51 am

shankythebiggestengfan wrote:
Shelsey93 wrote:A difficult one. Before this latest series Ravi would have been one of the first names on the T20 team sheet.

A guy with a T20I S/R of barely 100 - one of the first names on the team sheet? Headscratch

We don't have many candidates for first name on the T20 teamsheet in fairness - you start with Morgan, and then have Broad, Swann, maybe Finn but after that?

Bops is the most experienced batsman in the squad and also has his bowling, and so you'd expect him to get in the team. Right now he certainly isn't one of the first names in the team though...

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 07 Sep 2012, 10:06 am

Yeah I dont know about first names on the team sheet but "player we dont know how to replace"
You could look at Bell but it leaves England massively short on bowling options, especially with no KP. Luke Wrights inclusion in the squad does give some flexibility but its a bit frying pan to fire in my mind. His international record is woeful.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 08 Sep 2012, 3:20 am

Australia lose the T20 Series to Pakistan in the super over. Set 151 runs to win, they had a chance to put the match away.
Pat Cummins' 6 off the penultimate ball left them requiring 1 more run to win (scores were tied) but he then skied it up only to be caught by Imran Nazir off the bowling of Abdul Razzaq.

Only 11 runs were scored for 1 wicket when Australia batted in the super over. Pakistan deserved winners in a very tough series. They played very well and pulled off some spectacular direct hits running out White and Wade.

Ireland are now ahead of Australia in the rankings however I feel we did show some potential in that narrow loss.
Some huge hits from George Bailey and a super catch from Dan Christian.

However, full credit to Pakistan for winning the series after 2 games only. They look very good across all positions, solid top-middle order and all those deadly bowling options. Gaining confidence, they are a skillful and powerful team with that added guile and X-factor too.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 08 Sep 2012, 9:40 am

Jesus LB youd better hope Afgan dont overhaul your lot in the world cup.

I cant believe Ireland are genuinely better than Aus though. Good for Bailey if he finaly made some runs but he must be under hellish pressure

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 08 Sep 2012, 10:03 am

Bailey was put under pressure by being tossed in as captain , but I reckon he can play a bit...the innings overnight was a very good one and nearly won Australia the match. Jury still out on him but think he is entitled to a bit of a run...not as if good middle order batsmen are dropping out of gum trees at the moment.
Cummins had an interesting final few minutes in this match: big six - hero, gets out needing only a single - goose...then bowls the "super over" and goes from a clever dot ball to a rubbish boundary before committing the ultimate folly and bowling a ( very high) wide with one ball to go and virtually presenting the game to Pakistan...you could see he was gutted , but if he'd never hit the six it would never had come to that...swings and roundabouts.
Comes the knockouts in the Cup , anything could happen...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 08 Sep 2012, 10:27 am

Yeah but Alfie given the number of games Aus have lost recently and their ranking relative to other teams in their group its far from a given theyll make it to the super 8s let alone the knock outs

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 08 Sep 2012, 10:31 am

You're right there Peter...I didn't actually mean the "anything" in relation to Australia though , just that I am too cautious/chicken hearted to try and predict the winners , or even the semi finalists Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 08 Sep 2012, 11:17 pm

To be honest I doubt England will make it out of their group if they keep being this poor and selecting players who are woefully out of touch

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Sat 08 Sep 2012, 11:29 pm

I want eleven KP's in the side, even if they go for a few runs bowling they will get them back with the bat. Their keeping might be a bit dodgy though!

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by GG Sat 08 Sep 2012, 11:40 pm

I'm backing Pakistan to win it. England to go out in the super 8's after finishing 3rd.

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Sat 15 Sep 2012, 9:15 am

Some interesting results from this morning's warm-ups (unofficial matches which are 15 a side - 11 batting and 11 fielding)

Afghanistan thrashed Sri Lanka A by 51 runs, with my man Dawlat Zadran taking 3-22. Hamid Hassan didn't bowl so I wonder if he's still struggling with his injury. The Sri Lanka A side has quite a few SL internationals in it so I reckon this is a great result for the Afghans.

Australia bowled New Zealand out for 83 and won by 56 runs. Hogg (3-23) did a lot of the damage. In fairness Brendon McCullum wasn't playing for NZ.

Bangladesh beat Zimbabwe by 5 wickets.

India beat Sri Lanka by 26 runs, with five wickets for the in-form Irfan Pathan. Sri Lanka don't seem to have been fielding their best line-up though, with Jayawardene coming in at 8.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 15 Sep 2012, 9:25 am

Very interesting results.

Afghanistan are not to be treated lightly - as Australia know, having played them recently.

There's a few teams which could cause upsets - should be a good tournament. I have a feeling Pakistan and India will do well.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sat 15 Sep 2012, 5:28 pm

Shelsey93 wrote:Australia aren't that good in T20, although the T20 rankings are a bit of a joke (low number of games to consider, and uneven scheduling).

India is also No. 7..shows the fallacy of T20 rankings whihc are formed over a very small smaple as T20 is not mainstream international cricket yet
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 15 Sep 2012, 5:56 pm

Worrying signs for Zimbabwe...losing to ireland and bangladesh in warm ups!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Sat 15 Sep 2012, 6:20 pm

CF wrote:Worrying signs for Zimbabwe...losing to ireland and bangladesh in warm ups!!

Think all 12 teams aren't bad... Zimbabwe will need to bowl 16 overs of spin for me though. Ray Price is still very good.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Sat 15 Sep 2012, 9:19 pm

Linebreaker wrote:

Just saw this. Lawn bowls and now T20.

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 17 Sep 2012, 9:32 am

Our Seniors Lawn Bowls team is unstoppable! Smile

Last days to join up everyone. We have 9 punters so far.

http://www.superbru.com/worldt20/player_home.asp

The pool code for 606v2: playsacs

Thanks to all those who have already done so. OK

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Mon 17 Sep 2012, 10:17 am

Interesting warm-ups on now.

India v Pakistan is on Sky - Pakistan bowled 5 overs of seam before going to spin and immediately getting Sehwag second ball. The first ball saw a very odd incident where Sehwag hit the ball to Sami on the boundary who threw the ball back in because he was loosing balance. It was adjudged he hadn't touched the rope but it was a dot ball because the batsmen hadn't bothered running!

Afghanistan playing West Indies and South Africa playing NZ too.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Mon 17 Sep 2012, 10:40 am

What does Sehwag look like these days? Still carrying a bit of timber or is he back in shape?

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 17 Sep 2012, 12:49 pm

this warm-up showing why IMO India could struggle to win the tournament. Their bowling just isn't good enough. Ashwin has 4-23 but they're still going to fail to defend 180+ (Pakistan need 6 from the last over as I type). Balaji isn't good enough for this level, Pathan is distinctly average, Harbajan still poor. Just not enough quality there IMO.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 17 Sep 2012, 12:53 pm

Really? That's interesting.

Don't you think they will gain some momentum as the tournament progresses or they are holding something back in the warm-up match?

I was speaking to a Pakistani guy today - I really talked up his team. Should have seen the smile on his face. (I was serious too!)

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 17 Sep 2012, 12:59 pm

Pakistan showed they'll be dangerous, though whether they're consistent enough is always the question mark with them. Kamran Akmal played a fabulous innings today, but he won't do that game in game out.

India's bowling looks weak to me, but their batting is strong. I fancy them chasing, but on today's evidence they're going to need to post huge scores to win matches batting first.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Mon 17 Sep 2012, 1:09 pm

Pakistan were my tip for the tournament, even before this game. Whistle

And that that could be a big win against India. They do struggle for consistency, but we have seen how dangerous they can be when they get on a roll...

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 22 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 22  Next