The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

McIlroy Declares for Britain?

+39
MustPuttBetter
Doon the Water
Skerries
djlovesyou
golfermartin
Lairdy
LeinsterFan4life
lorus59
Tinmar
Diggers
TRUSSMAN66
Plunky
GunsGerms
beninho
hend085
Sin é
McLaren
Bob_the_Job
Rava
Skydriver
pedro
theslosty
barragan
George1507
Roller_Coaster
GPB
Thomond
raycastleunited
navyblueshorts
super_realist
Gareth_NI
Shotrock
kwinigolfer
John Cregan
Hibbz
princedracula
SecretFly
SmithersJones
Gordy
43 posters

Page 15 of 16 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Go down

McIlroy Declares for Britain? - Page 15 Empty McIlroy Declares for Britain?

Post by Gordy Mon 10 Sep 2012, 6:00 pm

First topic message reminder :

Rory McIlroy has declared "I’ve always felt more British than Irish", "Maybe it is the way I was brought up, I don’t know, but I have always felt more of a connection with the UK than with Ireland". This seems like a pretty strong indication to me that McIlroy will represent Team GB at the Olympics in 4 years. I think its a smart move to declare his allegiance early and in good time rather than letting the media make a storm in a tea cup about the whole issue in 4 years time close to the games.

Gordy

Back to top Go down

McIlroy Declares for Britain? - Page 15 Empty Re: McIlroy Declares for Britain?

Post by super_realist Thu 20 Sep 2012, 10:22 am

Why would they care ought to be the question. Why would you begrudge someone a win based on their nationality?

If you, or people you support are beaten by someone better, who cares where they come from.

Also nationality really is secondary in the Olympics. Countries do not win the olympics, participants are merely a constituent part of a nation.
The commentators and leaderboard will not have GB, USA or Ireland on their lips or on the leaderboard, it will be the name of the individual.

Harrington's team history in Gaelic sport hardly helped him in the Ryder Cup though did it? He didn't do very well.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 20 Sep 2012, 10:27 am

Ignore.

Last edited by rodders on Thu 20 Sep 2012, 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 20 Sep 2012, 10:41 am

Rodders that's a fairly stupid comment. I think most Irish people would rather he continued to rep Ireland because he is a great golfer and character.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 20 Sep 2012, 10:44 am

He doesn't represent anything at present except for Europe in the Ryder Cup. His nationality in other events is irrelevant. He represents Rory McIlroy 99.9% of the time.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 20 Sep 2012, 10:46 am

super_realist wrote:He doesn't represent anything at present except for Europe in the Ryder Cup. His nationality in other events is irrelevant. He represents Rory McIlroy 99.9% of the time.

To date he has represented Ireland and Europe.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 20 Sep 2012, 10:49 am

GunsGerms wrote:Rodders that's a fairly stupid comment.

Apologies just a wee joke. Removed.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 20 Sep 2012, 10:49 am

Apologies I forgot the tinpot "World Cup" and Walker Cup, but apart from that, nationality isn't an issue in golf as an individual sport.

The headlines never say Ireland( or insert country here) wins US Open.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 20 Sep 2012, 10:50 am

super_realist wrote:Why would they care ought to be the question. Why would you begrudge someone a win based on their nationality?

If you, or people you support are beaten by someone better, who cares where they come from.

Also nationality really is secondary in the Olympics. Countries do not win the olympics, participants are merely a constituent part of a nation.
The commentators and leaderboard will not have GB, USA or Ireland on their lips or on the leaderboard, it will be the name of the individual.

Harrington's team history in Gaelic sport hardly helped him in the Ryder Cup though did it? He didn't do very well.

Countries compete in the Olympics. Individuals are picked to represent their country.

Harrington's team history helped Europe win the Ryder Cup (he didn't win individual glory - its a team event).
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 20 Sep 2012, 10:53 am

Every European is used to playing team games. Seemed to help the others more than Harrington though. Harrington learnt how to lose a lot of matches obviously.

Olympics isn't representing a country like the World Cup though. It isn't nation v nation with a nation winning the Olympics.

I seriously cannot believe that anyone would care who McIlroy picks. You'd have to be pretty sad to get upset whichever side he chooses.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 20 Sep 2012, 11:01 am

rodders wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:Rodders that's a fairly stupid comment.

Apologies just a wee joke. Removed.

Ronan O'Gara? Whistle substitute golfers for rugby players ...

Ronan rocks

Ronan O’Gara is a breath of fresh air in a rugby landscape littered with nauseatingly boring clones.

Rugby players are generally a dour, uninspiring bunch, prone to infuriatingly rehearsed responses to even the most thoughtful questions. South African players are generally the worst of the lot, and seem to possess an innate ability to spit the most cliched rubbish at will.

Legendary All Blacks hooker Anton Olivier was an excellent interviewee, the best of the lot, although Frederic Michalak’s blunt assessments of everything from fashion to being a gay icon sees him come a close second.

http://keo.co.za/2009/06/09/ronan-rocks/
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 20 Sep 2012, 11:04 am

super_realist wrote:Every European is used to playing team games. Seemed to help the others more than Harrington though. Harrington learnt how to lose a lot of matches obviously.

Olympics isn't representing a country like the World Cup though. It isn't nation v nation with a nation winning the Olympics.

I seriously cannot believe that anyone would care who McIlroy picks. You'd have to be pretty sad to get upset whichever side he chooses.

I think the country has to select the competitor actually. Rory would have to make himself available for selection though.
(GMac says he will play for whoever selects him)!
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 20 Sep 2012, 11:04 am

Smile fair play heres one for Rory and Rog guinness guinness
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 20 Sep 2012, 11:13 am

super_realist wrote:
As for Irish people being better talkers than other sports people. Laugh
Like who? Every country has shy people and extroverts, Irish are no different to anyone. Stephen Ireland and Mick McCarthy are hardly Mr Charisma are they?

Roy Keane, Niall Quinn, Keith Wood, Conor O'Shea ... quite a few of the soccer players can actually put at least 2 words together. McCarthy was brought up in England .... oh and are you referring to Stephen Manchester?

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 20 Sep 2012, 11:18 am

super_realist wrote:...Having Woods as a brand ambassador for family orientrated products would be like getting Fred West to advertise patios...
Laugh
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 20 Sep 2012, 11:18 am

super_realist wrote:Apologies I forgot the tinpot "World Cup" and Walker Cup, but apart from that, nationality isn't an issue in golf as an individual sport.

The headlines never say Ireland( or insert country here) wins US Open.

No I agree with you in terms of most golf tournaments but in the Olympics nationality is a issue and whatever way you look at it McIlroy has represented Ireland and he is a product of Irish golf. As an amature he played the length and breadth of Ireland. He won the scratch cup as an amature in my local club in Westmeath and he has been very well known in irish golf for a long time.

Lots of posters seem to be in my opinion over simplifying the issue: He feels British so he should represent Britain. Thats fine with me that that is how he feels but from what he says in his interviews and press releases he is also very proud of his Irish links and golfing background as many NI folk are because of the unique situation there. To represent Britain does whether intentional or not for some people represent a switch of allegiance.

I do take your point that nationality shouldnt mean anything in golf but to many it does and therefore it probably would have an effect on sponsorship.

It would be like Kevin Peterson going to play for SA now, if the rules allowed for it, which I think the do. KP probably does feel more a saffa than English but he plays for England. However, my guess some people wouldnt mind if KP went back to SA.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 20 Sep 2012, 11:19 am

Every country has sportsmen who are good at talking and those who are not. To suggest that the Irish have some affable charm which sets them apart is absurd (not to mention a total cliche)

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 20 Sep 2012, 11:22 am

super_realist wrote:Every country has sportsmen who are good at talking and those who are not. To suggest that the Irish have some affable charm which sets them apart is absurd (not to mention a total cliche)

Super dont pretend like you dont spout generalisations about Ireland and Irish people practically every day on this forum.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 20 Sep 2012, 11:22 am

Come off it Super, Roy Keane is clearly the most affably charming man to grace a TV screen, he has no peers..............

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 20 Sep 2012, 11:23 am

navyblueshorts wrote:
super_realist wrote:...Having Woods as a brand ambassador for family orientrated products would be like getting Fred West to advertise patios...
Laugh

thats pretty funny.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 20 Sep 2012, 11:24 am

Diggers wrote:Come off it Super, Roy Keane is clearly the most affably charming man to grace a TV screen, he has no peers..............

Is Roy Keane not English? If not you can have him. I'd say he would have played for England if he could have. Just messing Sin E I know you love him.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 20 Sep 2012, 11:24 am

That's the whole point though, you'd have to be a complete moron (like Celtic/Rangers who have to have the same sponsor to maintain custom across the city) to not use a product based on who they sponsor.

I wouldn't stop drinking Hoegaarden if they sponsored my most hated sportsman Woods.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 20 Sep 2012, 11:26 am

Well I wear Oakleys because Rory does.....
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 20 Sep 2012, 11:28 am

super_realist wrote:That's the whole point though, you'd have to be a complete moron (like Celtic/Rangers who have to have the same sponsor to maintain custom across the city) to not use a product based on who they sponsor.

I wouldn't stop drinking Hoegaarden if they sponsored my most hated sportsman Woods.

Just because you wouldnt doesnt mean others wouldnt.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 20 Sep 2012, 11:29 am

How small minded and petty is that though?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 20 Sep 2012, 11:32 am

super_realist wrote:Woods lost his sponsors because sponsors didn't want to be associated with a moral basket case. Having Woods as a brand ambassador for family orientrated products would be like getting Fred West to advertise patios.

It would look far worse, xenophobic in fact if Jumeirah were to cancel Mcilroy's sponsorship on the basis of his Nationality.

People don't turn up at a golf tournament because McIlroy is from NI, especially in America, they turn up because he is the most exciting talent in golf.

How many Irish-Americans have heard of Mcilroy, how many are into golf, how many care about his nationality, how many use the products he endorse, how many would not use them should he change to Britain. Jumeirah and all his other sponsors won't be losing sleep over it at all.

It's complete crap Sin, and you know it.

Previously, Tag Heuer downscaled Woods' presence in international ads and did not use him in any U.S. ads.

Woods had already lost endorsements with Gatorade, Gillete, Accenture, AT&T, and Golf Digest.

Tag Heuer worried about family values? Gatorade is a drink! Very Happy
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 20 Sep 2012, 11:34 am

rodders wrote:Well I wear Oakleys because Rory does.....

So does all the Ireland rugby team - David Wallace's 'gift' to his team mates going to the world cup.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 20 Sep 2012, 11:37 am

super_realist wrote:That's the whole point though, you'd have to be a complete moron (like Celtic/Rangers who have to have the same sponsor to maintain custom across the city) to not use a product based on who they sponsor.

You wouldn't need to stop drinking it - they would have dropped Woods.

What did Tiger do to you that you 'hate' him?
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 20 Sep 2012, 11:37 am

super_realist wrote:How small minded and petty is that though?

Abercrombie and Fitch used to give free clothes to the members of Jersey shore as a marketing ploy for their clothing lines. Sales dipped and they realised that their target market did not feel a connection to the Jersey shore characters and stopped wearing Abercrombie clothing. Abercrombie ended up paying the Jersey Shore characters to stop wearing their clothes. Thats how marketing works its the way of the world.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 20 Sep 2012, 11:38 am

Sin,
Woods antics would be an embarassment to any sponsor, unless he was sponsored by Stringfellows or Razzle.

However, I'll wager most of those companies, used morality and familty values as justification for giving him the Spanish Archer.

Don't get me started on Woods, my dislike is not due to his nationality though or even his morality.

Interesting about Abercrombie, although I think because it is such a loathsome show with such loathsome people I can see why there was a backlash, but I simply can't see there being one in regard to McIlroy.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 20 Sep 2012, 11:42 am

super_realist wrote:Sin,
Woods antics would be an embarassment to any sponsor, unless he was sponsored by Stringfellows or Razzle.

However, I'll wager most of those companies, used morality and familty values as justification for giving him the Spanish Archer.

But he is a super golfer - only the golf should matter. Wink

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 20 Sep 2012, 11:42 am

I accept that he's a great golfer (sometimes) but I don't have to like him.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 20 Sep 2012, 11:42 am

Personally I think Woods should go back to riding as many women as possible. It obviously gave him the strength he needed. Forget the sponsors, golf and riding is more important.

Also I reckon despite what some people say CaroWoz has been a good influence on Rory. He is in better shape than ever and seems to have a spring in his step. Fair dues to him.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 20 Sep 2012, 11:43 am

Don't get me started on Woods.

If you havent listened to anything anyone has said on this thred please take heed of this I beg of you......

Last edited by Diggers on Thu 20 Sep 2012, 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 20 Sep 2012, 11:49 am

Diggers wrote:

Don't get me started on Woods.

If you havent lkistened to anything anyone has said on this thred please take heed of this I beg of you......

I'm intrigued now ... Run

ok I'm sure I'll manage without knowing SR's reasoning !
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 20 Sep 2012, 11:51 am

I wonder what this red button is for I think I'll press it. That's you Sin.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 20 Sep 2012, 11:55 am

GunsGerms wrote:I wonder what this red button is for I think I'll press it. That's you Sin.

Looks like Rory and I have something in common then - we're both red buttons!
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 20 Sep 2012, 12:03 pm

Rory has a history of saying things without really thinking about what he is saying. He is a young dude and can also be pretty cocky but whatever there are lots of good things about him too.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 20 Sep 2012, 12:17 pm

I think SR must have imploded when you pressed the red button.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 20 Sep 2012, 1:00 pm

Have to say, all this talk about McIlroy being worried about sponsors sounds like a lot of hot air. Let's say he loses one or two if he decides to play for Britain in 2016, does anyone really think there won't be a big queue waiting to fill those vacancies?
As long as he's not breaching any contracts, who gives a damn? He has the option to play for Ireland or G.B. Up to him. Time to move on.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 20 Sep 2012, 1:01 pm

Sin é wrote:

Exactly!! now transfer the same thinking to McIlroy and remind yourself of that statement if he doesn't opt for the Country you think he should.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 20 Sep 2012, 1:05 pm

JAS wrote:
Sin é wrote:

Exactly!! now transfer the same thinking to McIlroy and remind yourself of that statement if he doesn't opt for the Country you think he should.

He was quoting there........... should have used the old inverted commas. He was quoting from the high ideals of super.

Last edited by SecretFly on Thu 20 Sep 2012, 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 20 Sep 2012, 6:37 pm

Correct - I thought the Wink would have been enough.

JAS, I don't care who he plays for to be honest. Just don't expect us to be dancing in the streets for him if he wins a medal in the next Olympics. I'll be delighted if someone wins it for Ireland though - especially Harrington or Gmac.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 20 Sep 2012, 6:58 pm

Harrington has more chance of crapping in the queens handbag.

Be funny seeing all the pros without their sponsorship though. Should make them carry their own bags and run between shots.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 21 Sep 2012, 8:36 am

Oh sin e has joined the debate. What a suprise!

I told you this debate would rage on. Anyway. Whatever he decides is up to him, as i have said previously- No real golf fan would care who he plays for in the olympics.

The reality is though- Golf is an individual game on the whole. And rory is world class!! We should all get behind him

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 21 Sep 2012, 8:38 am

I think Sin has an app that informs him if the word Ireland pops up, he never seems to comment on anything else.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Fri 21 Sep 2012, 9:37 am

I went away on holiday.. and this thread is still going when I get back? Really?

Anyone want to buy a house with three immaculate greens and a range of tee boxes to suit anything from a wedge to a driver? Rory is selling his..downside..you'd almost be neighbours with me.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 21 Sep 2012, 10:13 am

super_realist wrote:I think Sin has an app that informs him if the word Ireland pops up, he never seems to comment on anything else.

As I've explained SR - I'm not a golfer. My interest is rugby on this board - I prefer team sports.

Did you know that Paul O'Connell was a good underage golfer (& swimmer)? He pursued rugby though, because he enjoyed team sports more.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 21 Sep 2012, 10:15 am

Bob_the_Job wrote:I went away on holiday.. and this thread is still going when I get back? Really?

Anyone want to buy a house with three immaculate greens and a range of tee boxes to suit anything from a wedge to a driver? Rory is selling his..downside..you'd almost be neighbours with me.

Thats quick - will he be eligible for the US by Rio?

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 21 Sep 2012, 10:18 am

Sin é wrote:
super_realist wrote:I think Sin has an app that informs him if the word Ireland pops up, he never seems to comment on anything else.

As I've explained SR - I'm not a golfer. My interest is rugby on this board - I prefer team sports.

Did you know that Paul O'Connell was a good underage golfer (& swimmer)? He pursued rugby though, because he enjoyed team sports more.

I thought it was because he liked punching people.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 21 Sep 2012, 10:18 am

Sin é wrote:

Who?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 16 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next