The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Pacquiao An All Time Top Ten In Any Weight Class?

3 posters

Go down

Is Pacquiao An All Time Top Ten In Any Weight Class? Empty Is Pacquiao An All Time Top Ten In Any Weight Class?

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Sat 16 Apr 2011, 7:07 pm

Bit of food for thought, was just wondering whether anyone would rank the current p4p no1 and possible all time top 20 ATG as an all time top ten fighter in any of the divisions he's competed in?

For a start we can discount 135lb, 140lb and 154lb as he has fought once in each of those weight classes. He fought only 3 times at feather where arguably his greatest win came - against Barerra, but drew one of his other 2 fights (marquez) and never held a title at the weight. He had a decent run at super feather despite losing to Morales in his first outing at the weight -beating Morales twice, Larios, Solis, Barerra again and Marquez - good work no doubt but enough to claim a top ten spot among the likes of nelson, elorde, mayweather jr, arguello etc.? The majority of his career was at Fly and super bantamweight, where he was prolific with regard to his victories but his level of competition is questionable in terms of being world level quality as opposed to the likes of Wilde, Villa et al who had their biggest wins at the weight - whereas with manny it was more of a building block for later super-stardom. He did win titles at both weights, but also lost to unheralded fighters at both weights.

Finally there is welterweight, his current weight, where his victories have been over oscar, cotto and clottey. Again not a long enough stay thus far to be talking about all time top 10 status and whilst its mightily impressive for a former flyweight to be a WW titlist, it must be acknowledged that the title win over cotto was at 145lb and the other 2 wins (oscar & clottey) are against less than stellar opposition.

IMO opinion he may have a a case for the lower echelons of the 130lb division depending on your opinion, but the overall answer to the original question is probably a "no". Is it a sign of the nature of modern boxing that a probable top 20 ATG cannot be ranked in the top ten of any division he's competed in, or is it merely exclusive to the phenomenen of Pacquiao and his weight hopping?

Last edited by Sugar Boy Sweetie on Sat 16 Apr 2011, 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Is Pacquiao An All Time Top Ten In Any Weight Class? Empty Re: Is Pacquiao An All Time Top Ten In Any Weight Class?

Post by azania Sat 16 Apr 2011, 7:09 pm

I dont know about that, but one thing is for certain is that this thread will be merged in due course.

I'm watching. Very Happy

azania

Back to top Go down

Is Pacquiao An All Time Top Ten In Any Weight Class? Empty Re: Is Pacquiao An All Time Top Ten In Any Weight Class?

Post by azania Sat 16 Apr 2011, 7:10 pm

Anyway, the short answer imo is no. Too many asterix next to far too many wins.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Sat 16 Apr 2011, 7:13 pm

azania wrote:I dont know about that, but one thing is for certain is that this thread will be merged in due course.

I'm watching. Very Happy
You're watching what? This is about pacquiao, no-one else, dont merge the thread if certain people hijack it - punish the hijackers so the rest can debate.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 16 Apr 2011, 7:15 pm

Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:
azania wrote:I dont know about that, but one thing is for certain is that this thread will be merged in due course.

I'm watching. Very Happy
You're watching what? This is about pacquiao, no-one else, dont merge the thread if certain people hijack it - punish the hijackers so the rest can debate.

Any thread with THAT name will get looked at for obvious reasons. I'll ensure as far as possible it stays on track.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat 16 Apr 2011, 7:19 pm

Wouldn't have him top 10 at any weight but would have him top 25 ATG to much weight hopping to be considered a ATG at any single weight. IMO he was at his best at super feather.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 16 Apr 2011, 7:21 pm

As mentioned by KB & others previously on the boxing announcement we dont want you guys walking on egg shells and not to discuss the main fighters of the modern era.

But if the same old stuff appears again then those comments will be removed and put onto different threads. (and please dont make me do it, its a nightmare to sort out lol)

SBS is raising some good points, so please keep it on topic guys.

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat 16 Apr 2011, 7:25 pm

Y I Man wrote:As mentioned by KB & others previously on the boxing announcement we dont want you guys walking on egg shells and not to discuss the main fighters of the modern era.

But if the same old stuff appears again then those comments will be removed and put onto different threads. (and please dont make me do it, its a nightmare to sort out lol)

SBS is raising some good points, so please keep it on topic guys.

No one went off topic
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 16 Apr 2011, 7:32 pm

True PB, but im just saying it for future reference due to SBS' comment. People seem to be wary of discussing the two fighters in question.
On the contrary, feel free to discuss them, but i was just asking that the articles are kept on topic and dont desend into the same repetitive arguments that we have previously seen. A pre-empt so to speak.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down