The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your favourite ever weight class, and its greatest era

+9
TRUSSMAN66
ONETWOFOREVER
catchweight
mobilemaster8
Rowley
ShahenshahG
superflyweight
Hammersmith harrier
88Chris05
13 posters

Go down

Your favourite ever weight class, and its greatest era Empty Your favourite ever weight class, and its greatest era

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 27 Nov 2013, 10:52 pm

Evening, lads.

I guess most of us have a favourite weight class in a historical sense, or at least those who have any kind of interest in boxing history do. Maybe it's the weight class you yourself would have boxed in if you'd been a professional, maybe your favourite fighter of all time showed his best form there, or maybe you just feel that a certain crop of fighters came together for a while in that division to create something truly special for the fans. Who knows, maybe it's mix of all of these factors and more?

When it comes to a favourite weight class, for me it's the Light-Heavyweights, hands down. When I think of the 175 pounders, I think of boxing thoroughbreds; a dose of that brute power and strength we associate with the Heavies combined with a dollop of those feints, that speed and that balance of the smaller weight classes.

While the division hasn't been on fire in recent years (albeit the likes of Stevenson and Kovalev have held breathe a bit of life back in to it over the past few months), I believe that, throughout boxing history, 175 lb has given us the most consistently deep talent pools, the most value for money in terms of producing outstanding battles and, from a personal point of view, it's produced more fighters I'd class amongst my favourites than any other weight class. All of this combine to make it the division which I put above all others.

Now in terms of pinpointing my favourite era, it's not easy. Those amongst who have bemoaned the lack of real, standout quality at 175 in recent years will continue to cast envious glances back to the Roaring Twenties, when a young Gene Tunney, the emerging Maxie Rosenbloom, Jack Delaney, Tommy Loughran, Battling Siki, Mike McTigue, Harry Greb etc (despite the latter often spotting some of the above names the best part of a stone in weight when he boxed them) all crossing proverbial swords. Likewise, the forties boasted two of the very, very greatest Light-Heavyweights of the lot, Ezzard Charles and Archie Moore, battling it out against each other in or around their primes, along with men of the quality of Eddie Booker, Lloyd Marshall and Jimmy Bivins. And if you waited just a few more years, you could add Harold Johnson, Joey Maxim, Freddie Mills etc to that special group.

But combining all factors (pool of talent, how many great battles took place between them, personal favourites etc), there is no other era, for me at least, at Light-Heavyweight as great as the one which ran from the mid seventies to the mid eighties. To be precise, starting from Bob Foster relinquishing his titles in 1974 and then running up to, and including, Michael Spinks' reign, which came to an end in 1985.

As well as Spinks, one of the truly elite Light-Heavyweight kings, we had Victor Galindez (possibly my favourite historical fighter ever), John Conteh, Matthew Saad Muhammad, Dwight Muhammad Qawi, Eddie Mustafa Muhammad, Alvaro 'Yaqui' Lopez, Richie Kates, Marvin Johnson, Mike Rossman, Jorge Ahumada and Mate Parlov. Now whether or not you believe that, collectively, this line up represents a better one than some other Light-Heavyweight eras is debatable, of course, although by anyone's standards that's still a truly terrifying bunch.

But in terms of these men elevating themselves and their careers by squaring off against each other, giving value for money time and time again and, on top of that, all of them either winning or contesting world titles without boxing politics leaving an unpleasant stench over the era (which can't be said of the twenties and forties, unfortunately), 1974 - 1985 will always remain THE golden era at 175 in my opinion. Better still, those around at the time got to see it all unfold, and we can easily cast our eyes longingly back over it to this day, another thing sadly amiss to a large extent when we look at other outstanding eras for my favourite weight class.

Spinks was the standout, but who was the best of the rest? There were so many superb tussles between them all, many of which are amongst my favourite fights of all time - but which fight was the stand out one? I've pondered these questions concerning this crop of Light-Heavyweights more time than I care to remember in my head, and I find that no other period of Light-Heavyweight (or any other division, for that matter) history fascinates me like this one does.

So, Light-Heavyweight from 1974 to 1985. The greatest era in the greatest weight class, in my humble opinion. But what about yours? Which division do you most enjoy studying and evaluating? Which particular era of that division, or crop of fighters who emerged within it at any given time, make you want to watch (if possible!) and discuss all over again in wonderment?

Let me know if you have an opinion. Ta, fellas.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Your favourite ever weight class, and its greatest era Empty Re: Your favourite ever weight class, and its greatest era

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed 27 Nov 2013, 11:03 pm

Light Heavyweight for me too Chris.

I understand the argument that boxing politics didn't play a part in the division from 74 to 85 but for sheer quality it can't compete with the 40's. Arguably the two greatest light heavyweights of them all in Charles and Moore not to mention the great Jimmy Bivins producing one of the great runs. Beyond that fantastic trio Marshall, Bivins, Lesnevich, Overlin, Christoforidis, Mills, Johnson and Yarosz. There's also the wildcards like Morrow, Williams, Lytell and Smith who could occassionally upset the apple cart. The actual title scene wasn't up to much and was largely contested by the lower tier fighters who happened to be white but still a lot of fabulous match ups.

In my lifetime I really enjoyed welterweight and light middleweight from about 99-06, most of the big guns fought each other with very mixed results. To me a great era consists of competitiveness with no single stand out fighter which there wasn't in either division during that period.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Your favourite ever weight class, and its greatest era Empty Re: Your favourite ever weight class, and its greatest era

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 27 Nov 2013, 11:31 pm

Appreciate your point on pure quality, Hammersmith, and in that respect the forties does have to get the nod ahead of the seventies / eighties crop. Always a personal thing, of course, and the fact that there were so many made-for-TV scraps between the latter group of 175 pounders swings it for me, but seldom has there been a Light-Heavyweight era which wasn't impressive in its own right.

Good call on 147-154 lb in or around the turn of the century, too. Vargas' tussles with Winky and Trinidad, Mosley upsetting De la Hoya in 2000 etc. Some great fights. The only regret is that we never got to see Mosley versus Trinidad, thanks to Winky spoiling the party.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Wed 27 Nov 2013, 11:57 pm

Light heavys as well for me and like HH would probably just edge it to the 40's. As HH says, the title scene didn't necessarily reflect the quality operating in the division, but I think it trumps the 70s/80s. Having Charles and Moore in there sets it apart.

As for the division as a whole, I think a top ten list of the welters probably just about trumps a top ten list of light heavys, but the top 20 light heavys is stronger than any of the other divisions.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 28 Nov 2013, 12:03 am

True enough about 175's depth, Superfly. I just wish there were as much footage of the forties Light-Heavies as there is for their seventies / eighties counterparts, because that's the only thing which makes me prefer the latter lot (as I said, personal preference to certain fighters comes in to my judgement on this matter). I guess I just wish I had been around in the flesh at the time to witness fights like Galindez-Kates I, Saad-Lopez II, Saad-Johnson I etc. Hard to imagine any other era producing as many jaw-dropping fights.

I tried compiling a top twenty Light-Heavyweight list a couple of years back - it was a bloody nightmare.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 28 Nov 2013, 2:28 am

I've always been entranced by the heavyweights ever since my uncle (a middleweight) was floored by a jab to the chest by a club Heavy in sparring - Particular remember the sound as it sounded as if a batsman had middled the ball. The greatest era is the obvious one. I think I enjoy is most because of the relatively sparse talent compared to other divisions gives me a lot of leeway to play around with Head to Heads.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 28 Nov 2013, 7:41 am

If I was being objective and calling it on quality, strength in depth or all time greats that have frequented it, HH's pick of the light heavies in the 40s is hard to see past and almost certainly the correct pick. However objectivity is for the sciences. For me, like Shah it has to be the heavies. Daft really because as a division the strength in depth is frequently woeful, politics often rules as in no other division and exciting match ups come with all the frequnency of jokes in Eastenders.

However no division can match it for romance or history, from Tyson ripping through the division when barely 20 to John L Sullivan offering to lick any son of a bitch in the room, there just is not another division that comes close. In terms of favourite era the 70s is almost certainly the right answer but personally I like the late 1800's as well, some cracking fighters and characters around with Jackson, Sullivan Fitz and Corbett and some brilliant stories in fights like Sullivan Kilrain and Corbett Jackson.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Thu 28 Nov 2013, 7:58 am

Im going with the super middles for my preferred division. Great speed with a dose of power and we have seen some cracking fighters come over the years with Benn, Eubank, Collins, Calzaghe, Froch, Kessler, Ward, Jones Jr, Toney etc etc to name but a few.

I also have a soft spot for the 140-147.....quick and powerful.

I just love boxing in general really.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 28 Nov 2013, 8:21 am

Probably welterweight. I dont really see how going back to era's in the past or when footage was limited can beat the excitement of watching an era unfold in the flesh. Watching back a fight that has happened in the past before your time will never have the same feel as watching a fight live yourself for me. In my lifetime heavyweight and welterweight have provided me with the most entertainment but the heavyweight division went to pieces long long ago.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 28 Nov 2013, 8:29 am

Featherweight for me.

70's batch

Arguello, Chacon, Limon, Edwards, and those great fights

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 28 Nov 2013, 9:18 am

Heavyweights and always will be.........The greatest prize in sports........So much history from the wonderful days of Corbett-Fitz.........To the controversy of Johnson........The comfort of the Louis era........To the greatest..........To Tyson the most exciting..

If Ali had been middleweight champion would there have been as much controversy over the blank panthers and Vietnam??............Nope.........

Frazier- Ali..........The pride of Holmes and the megastar in Tyson.........

No better belt to wear than a heavy belt.........A rich history and the Heavy champ is the MAN!!!!.......

Heavyweight division will always be my number 1........

Grew up in the 80s so that's my era.........Saw some great heavyweights come and go........Holmes the greatest, Page the most talented and Tyson the most exciting......

Great days............

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Thu 28 Nov 2013, 9:21 am

Re watched Tyson vs Bruno 1988 last night.

Tyson was an animal. His speed was actually frightening for a heavyweight. Really ripped that right hand over the top and his left hook was a cracker.

What a fighter.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 28 Nov 2013, 9:23 am

If only Bruno had belief though when Tyson was staggered and forced on the ropes.......

Note to Frank It's the hurt guy that should be holding.......Not you!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 28 Nov 2013, 9:27 am

Growing up, I spent most of my childhood hearing about world champions who came from my city. Guys like Cassius Baloyi, Lehlonolo Ledwaba, Phillip Ndou. So as a kid growing up my favorite divisions were S. featherweight and bantamweight.

Now though, I train in the same gym as Thabiso Mchunu and a few other local cruiserweights.. If I took boxing seriously, I'd probably be a cruiserweight, I'm 92kg now, but I'd probably come in at 87kg. As a result, cruiserweight is now my favorite division in boxing. It's much maligned, but there is some serious quality there...
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 28 Nov 2013, 9:35 am

I used to have time for you as well Kingy!!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 28 Nov 2013, 9:39 am

Haha, Trussy... trust me, it's a Damn sight better than the HW division.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 28 Nov 2013, 10:00 am

kingraf wrote:Growing up, I spent most of my childhood hearing about world champions who came from my city. Guys like Cassius Baloyi, Lehlonolo Ledwaba, Phillip Ndou. So as a kid growing up my favorite divisions were S. featherweight and bantamweight.

Now though, I train in the same gym as Thabiso Mchunu and a few other local cruiserweights.. If I took boxing seriously, I'd probably be a cruiserweight, I'm 92kg now, but I'd probably come in at 87kg. As a result, cruiserweight is now my favorite division in boxing. It's much maligned, but there is some serious quality there...
Philip Ndou played for Coventry fc got your names mixed up there mate.

Great player tho real skillful and tricky.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 28 Nov 2013, 10:05 am

Phillip Ndou
www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phillip_Ndou

never heard of the footballer, but I've met the boxer... nice guy, could have gone far if it wasn't for the brain abnormality
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 28 Nov 2013, 10:07 am

my wiki link isn't working... boxrec
www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=14997&cat=boxer
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 28 Nov 2013, 10:26 am

Wasn't that Peter ndlovu at cov?

Prob welterweight for me, mix of speed and power, we had a British world champion briefly as a lad and then the Leonard's and hearns came along, liked curry too. Good era again in the late 90's. i like middle too.

Never been that sold on light heavy. An Inbetween division for me, lacks the athleticism of welter/middle and raw power of heavy.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarWarrior Thu 28 Nov 2013, 10:43 am

I'm going to give a vote to the Featherweight/ Super Featherweight era of the mid 90's to the early 00's. Prince Naseem was a big star as I was coming into my teens and started to follow boxing so guys like him Barrera/ Morales/ Pacquiao/ Mayweather/ Jnr Jones/ McCullough/ Corales/ Kevin Kelly/ Johnson etc were all around those divisions and gave us some great fights....and there were also a fair few we missed out.
Obviously i dont know the early era's of the light heavy's and heavys as well so this is a personal favourite.

SugarWarrior

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 28 Nov 2013, 11:34 am

I suppose the fact that there aren't a lot of lucrative sports a 5'5 120lbs individual can partake in means boxing will almost always be stacked in the lower weights.... Tough convince a 6'6 240lbs athlete that he'd be better off taking big lefts, rather than making dunks or calling scrums, or even bowling a cricket ball.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarWarrior Thu 28 Nov 2013, 11:43 am

They could have been Jockey's! Or even Formula 1 drivers, heck the 2 of the greatest footballers ever (Maradona and Messi) were both 5'5' haha so no shortage of sports to play.
I also missed out fighters like Marquez/ Hernandez/ Soto/ Medina and even Scott Harrison so it was a very very good era.

SugarWarrior

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 28 Nov 2013, 11:47 am

Jockeys arent allowed to weigh 120lbs in South Africa... (that's why I picked the weight). And you need a heck of a lot of cash to get into F1. Think you'll also find there is a greater proportion of 6'0 footballers to 5'5 footballers now.

regardless, good picks all around.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 28 Nov 2013, 11:50 am

Good news is we don't discriminate at the Oyster........

We take jockeys at any weight........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarWarrior Thu 28 Nov 2013, 11:58 am

Fair point Kingraf - but in all seriousness if you have been watching boxing since the early 90's then the only other division that could come close is the Light Welter/ Welter divisions of the same time frame (Oscar/ JCC/ Vargas/ Mosley/ Trinidad etc) but I just felt the other one had more depth plus as a Brit we had Naseem on the international scene so that held my interest a bit more.

Best pound for pound jockey of all time Frankie was 5/4 and 120 pounds haha

SugarWarrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 28 Nov 2013, 12:18 pm

Heavyweights for me.  I remember Ali saying heavyweight fighters were not friends with each other like fighters from the other divisions tended to be.   He saw it was lonely that way and it lacked brotherhood.  Heavyweight fighters were like giant sea going vessels that met in the night.

Whether it's the power, emotions etc everything is amped up at heavyweight.  The true HW champion is the greatest fighter on earth. No man can beat him.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Thu 28 Nov 2013, 12:48 pm

Strongback wrote:Heavyweights for me.  I remember Ali saying heavyweight fighters were not friends with each other like fighters from the other divisions tended to be.   He saw it was lonely that way and it lacked brotherhood.  Heavyweight fighters were like giant sea going vessels that met in the night.

Whether it's the power, emotions etc everything is amped up at heavyweight.  The true HW champion is the greatest fighter on earth. No man can beat him.
Carl Froch will strongly disagree..............

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 28 Nov 2013, 12:51 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:
Strongback wrote:Heavyweights for me.  I remember Ali saying heavyweight fighters were not friends with each other like fighters from the other divisions tended to be.   He saw it was lonely that way and it lacked brotherhood.  Heavyweight fighters were like giant sea going vessels that met in the night.

There's a cure for that, Wladimir's right hand.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 28 Nov 2013, 1:03 pm

Strongback wrote:
mobilemaster8 wrote:

There's a cure for that, Wladimir's right hand.
They'll stop the fight for Wlad illegally removing Froch from the stadium.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 28 Nov 2013, 1:36 pm

If wlad dispatched him out of the stadium, under WTF ( what the froch?) rules, carl can convert the airmiles gained into warrior points, for a comfortable decision victory.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 28 Nov 2013, 7:06 pm

You surprise me, milky. Thought you'd be a bit keener on 175 what with Conteh being one of your first boxing loves?
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 28 Nov 2013, 7:33 pm

I'm a man of many surprises chris, even if my posting history suggests the contrary!

I was a fan of any successful British fighter as a lad and conteh and minter were probably the main two. Watching him capitulate to saad Mohammed was sickening, so no great surprise that my favourite light heavy became dwight braxton/qawi for the battering he gave saad Mohammed.

I think for most of my lifetime though, light heavy hasnt been that great a division, even when it had a great in it, in Roy jones, it lacked any real buzz.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 28 Nov 2013, 7:44 pm

Yep, I do remember you saying in the past that seeing Qawi hammer Saad put you in a good mood way back when! Qawi is probably the most underrated of the three Muhammads of that decade, maybe because he's strangely labelled as your basic tough guy brawler when in reality he had a lot more going for him than that.

I guess I might have felt the same if I'd been around at the time. A bit easier to find out about a group of fighters in retrospect and enjoy them all when you don't have to weigh up the fact that they walloped a childhood hero.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 28 Nov 2013, 8:12 pm

Yes it probably explains why I'm quick to remind everyone when the miracle man ran out of miracles! Qawi, was a cracking fighter, couldn't solve the spinks jinx (well one half of the family, the job he did on neon Leon was one of the most sickening beat downs you could see) but no shame in that. The first holy fight was a corker too.

Considering, he was a very late starter, after learning to box in prison, he was pretty damn useful.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down