The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Europe can't win !!!!

+33
erictheblueuk
GunsGerms
Seanusarrilius
Leff
Faldono1fan
LondonTiger
vinyl1
Doon the Water
Josiah Maiestas
Bob_the_Job
mystiroakey
Mehrts is god
barragan
JAS
navyblueshorts
SmithersJones
djlovesyou
Redrage
kwinigolfer
George1507
Shotrock
Slowride
pedro
Diggers
raycastleunited
hend085
Sand
McLaren
1GrumpyGolfer
super_realist
Roller_Coaster
thedamned3putt
TRUSSMAN66
37 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Europe can't win !!!! Empty Europe can't win !!!!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 11 Sep - 20:21

Always love the Ryder cup ...and always admire how you Europeans overachieve!!!!

However this time I can't see how you can possibly win!!!

Westwood is looking past it, Kaymer is out of sorts........ and Lawrie, Molinari, Colseart (check spelling) just don't seem to be Ryder cup quality!!

Out of the rest of your team Poulter, Mcdowell, Donald, Rose, Garcia...yes what a quality bunch who can rise to the occasion!! and If it was 11-11 with those still to play I'd fancy you for the job...

But home advantage with our strength in depth....(No Ricky Fowler!!!)

Figure it will be 10-6 going into the singles and 16-12 or worse come sunday night!!

Hope you push us close........fear you won't though!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Europe can't win !!!! Empty Re: Europe can't win !!!!

Post by thedamned3putt Tue 11 Sep - 20:26

don't feed the troll...

thedamned3putt

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Tue 11 Sep - 21:00

Not even a bit of mouldy old bread?

Ok, guess you're right!

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 11 Sep - 21:10

Come on guys..

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Thu 29 Sep - 10:48; edited 1 time in total

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 11 Sep - 22:18

Wum

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Wed 12 Sep - 0:16

super_realist wrote:Wum

Ha ha. Nice one super. Pot and kettle me thinks at times.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 12 Sep - 7:16

Blatant WUM Grumpy.
Europe are in rude form at the moment compared to the American team.
A far more experienced team, not just a bunch of god bothering rednecks who can't play together as a team.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 12 Sep - 10:29

Not sure why people are claiming this guy is a wum?

For starters I agree that Lawrie’s small minded mentality will not go down well in a team environment when others are thinking big and looking to win no matter what soil they are on. Do not be surprised if Lawrie sits out more events than anyone else.

It is also pretty clear that Kaymer is suffering a serious dip in form and will need to find some better scoring if he is to contribute anything to the team.

To say Molinari is not Ryder cup quality however, shows a certain lack of knowledge when it comes to Molinari’s talent and I don’t see how you can say westwood is past it after his recent result in the fedex play off’s?

So lets have a look at the players from both teams who are not in form or could struggle;

Europe

Kaymer (in very poor form)
Lawrie (His fear of America will get the better of him)*
Colsaerts (Seems a little inconsistent in the big events)
Sergio (I reckon he has had his one month good spell already this year)
Donald (Not played really well in a long time and seems to put too much pressure on himself in the big events at the moment)

USA

Bradley (not playing as well as he can at the moment, potential burn out)
Stricker (He has hardly been in contention of late so when DL3 uses him as that steady reliable figure, I see some upsets coming)

So, it is Europe who looks to be a little weaker based on form and chances of performing well. It may not have been the most well written article ever but the guy has a point. Super will claim matchplay is a different game and therefore drawing conclusions from a strokeplay season does not work, but terrible form or mental weakness is the same whatever the format.

Given it is on home soil and the US team seems to be in better shape it will be a massive upset if Europe win this.

* of course we all fear America but not when it comes to travelling there and playing some golf. It is Americans that should fear America, but not a Scotsman who spends a few weeks a year there.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 12 Sep - 10:46

Mac, European golf is littered with people in wretched form who have performed heroically in the Ryder Cup. Take Monty in his last appearance.

I wouldn't place too much significance on strokeplay form, except it shows who is perhaps carrying more confidence, but to suggest it as the basis for a potential European failure is silly and totally foolhardy as virtually every European victory in recent years has been punctuated by them being underdogs due to a lack of form.

This will be a very close Ryder Cup and I feel the tartan trouser wearing bible thumping burger munchers might just win due to home advantage and their moronic support, but it won't be down to a supposed "weakness" in the European team, for all we know all the American debutants (of which there are many) with their inexperience might totally bottle it too.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Wed 12 Sep - 12:08

McLaren wrote:Not sure why people are claiming this guy is a wum?

For starters I agree that Lawrie’s small minded mentality will not go down well in a team environment when others are thinking big and looking to win no matter what soil they are on. Do not be surprised if Lawrie sits out more events than anyone else.

It is also pretty clear that Kaymer is suffering a serious dip in form and will need to find some better scoring if he is to contribute anything to the team.

To say Molinari is not Ryder cup quality however, shows a certain lack of knowledge when it comes to Molinari’s talent and I don’t see how you can say westwood is past it after his recent result in the fedex play off’s?

So lets have a look at the players from both teams who are not in form or could struggle;

Europe

Kaymer (in very poor form)
Lawrie (His fear of America will get the better of him)*
Colsaerts (Seems a little inconsistent in the big events)
Sergio (I reckon he has had his one month good spell already this year)
Donald (Not played really well in a long time and seems to put too much pressure on himself in the big events at the moment)

USA

Bradley (not playing as well as he can at the moment, potential burn out)
Stricker (He has hardly been in contention of late so when DL3 uses him as that steady reliable figure, I see some upsets coming)

So, it is Europe who looks to be a little weaker based on form and chances of performing well. It may not have been the most well written article ever but the guy has a point. Super will claim matchplay is a different game and therefore drawing conclusions from a strokeplay season does not work, but terrible form or mental weakness is the same whatever the format.

Given it is on home soil and the US team seems to be in better shape it will be a massive upset if Europe win this.

* of course we all fear America but not when it comes to travelling there and playing some golf. It is Americans that should fear America, but not a Scotsman who spends a few weeks a year there.

I agree that USA are favourites but it will be a very close match. Although your opinion of 5 Europe players being out of form or not going to play well is down to nothing but your opinion. Why only 2 USA players? Where is Furyk, Webb Simpson, Dufner, Mickelson (had a good week last week but generally been in shocking form this year) or Zach Johnson. None of these that Ive mentioned are in their best form.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 12 Sep - 12:22

Furyk, Simpons and zach are major champions so expect them to play well, and phil is phil. Would you really predict he will be anything other than amazing?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 12 Sep - 12:25

Mac, being a major winner is an utter irrelevance. Woods has won 14 majors but has a record that is absolute average bordering on poor. His record is knocked into a cocked hat by many many non major winners like Poulter, Garcia, Westwood and Donald.

In fact not a single American on the team has a positive WIN/LOSS ratio so why would a Europe win be a "massive" surprise, especially as they've won plenty times over there before.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Wed 12 Sep - 13:36

super_realist wrote:

In fact not a single American on the team has a positive WIN/LOSS ratio so why would a Europe win be a "massive" surprise, especially as they've won plenty times over there before.

wow- thats some stat if its true

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 12 Sep - 13:38

Hey Trussman66!!!

How are you! Sounds like you are a big fan of the US team!! And an even bigger fan of exclamation marks!!!

I think you have a good point about some of the players in the european team!!!! On paper a bit out of form and certainly not up there with the Americans!!!!!

But Europe play like a team!!!!!! That's the difference!!!!!! Why some players can raise the level of their game!!!!!!! DL3 has picked players who individually are good players but left out the guys who I think would contribute to generating that important team mentality!!!!!!!! Rickie fowler the obvious example!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think Europe will be in the lead going into the final day singles, but ultimately the US will win!!!!!!!!!!!!

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 12 Sep - 13:46

Im not sure we can really say that Europe play like a team more than the US now Ray. Certainly true in the past but has it really been the case in the last two events? Certainly not in the last US cup and really not last time out either where both teams seemed really together and wanted it. Both sides are a team of millionaires now, I doubt there is the same solidarity that Europe had back in the 80's and 90's when they were the underdogs.
All in all two very close teams in terms of talent and probably desire as well, no way will America want to lose on home soil or indeed lose back to back RC's. America for me favourites but not much in it when all is said and done, but such is the nature of the competition anything can happen, an easy win for either side is far from impossible.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 12 Sep - 13:51

hend085 wrote:
super_realist wrote:

wow- thats some stat if its true

It is true, so despite all their major winners and supposed form players or "better on paper" or "more strength in depth" they've still lost 9 of the last 12 Ryder Cups whilst not one of their current team has won more than they've lost.

So who gives a toss about form, reputation, home advantage, playing as a team, home support, how many majors you have because it means absolutely nothing.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Wed 12 Sep - 14:12

There are always valid opinions, indeed it can be argued that all opinions regardless of source are equally valid. However, to me, the opinions were originally put forward in such a way as to indicate a pure wind up. I perhaps shouldn't have responded to 3putt.

Getting past how they OP opinions seem to have been put across and in response to the subsequent input and views I too think it will be close. It is a struggle to look past the Americans on their own track with their own support (intensly patriotic/seemingly moronic depending on your view) and the general US presence in the top 20 of the rankings.

Europe generally have the spirit and team ethos that helps massively throughout and I think that will be there again with the inspiration of the late Senor Ballesteros a focal point to rally the troops.

I think the weight of opposition factors will just shade Europe into second.

Hope I'm wrong, mind!

What I don't believe though is that anyone (on either side) will be "poor" they're all top, top players and (regardless of some public opinion of the US team) all very motivated.

Yes many/most/all of them would rather win Major(s), but there are no majors that week, so they'll go all out to win what is there in front of them with the same focus and effort.

All in all, I hope golf's the winner (other cliches available on request)

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 12 Sep - 20:41

hey pd,
I guess the owgr can tell which team is in better form? Say, based on points accumulated last 3 months.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 17 Sep - 20:20

Thanks for the good responses.....and for taking the thread as it was meant..

Great post mclaren but I worry as regards to Molinari that he night suffer from the occasion...

He won't have his big brother and just seems the fragile type in very adverse conditions....

Also has the memory of a nine under par Tiger last time in the singles..

You needa good start or I believe we'll run away with it..

Mcdowell - Rory
Westwood - Donald.... up front would be my choice
Poulter - Garcia to follow..

Tough guys that can lead the way!!!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 17 Sep - 20:22

Truman, what about the fact that not a single American has a positive win ratio.
Apart from home advantage there is nothing to separate the teams. It's going to be very close.

Also Molinari is one of the best ball strikers and straighten hitter on either tour. Why world he struggle in adverse weather? Not remember the Scottish Open this year? He was right up there in conditions that Americans rarely play in.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Slowride Mon 17 Sep - 20:26

from what i can tell trussman usually posts on the boxing and body building pages

clearly has taken too many headshots and steroids the referee should stop the contest now

Slowride

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 17 Sep - 20:29

But I don't think your team is as strong as it was when you last won in the US...

when Monty lashed in the winning putt......

might be wrong but i think Love will get the team up for it more than Sutton did!!

Olazabal though he lacks charisma has had the wisdom to get Clarke, Mcginley and the great dane out there...smart move!!

Re-iterate...that you have to start fast...

The three pairings for me are great starters......you'll need your leaders!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 17 Sep - 20:30

I'm sorry for loving sport!!

Mate If you're going to insult...please do it somewhere else..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 17 Sep - 20:34

You clearly know nothing about golf. Europe are virtually always the underdog, but have won 9 of the last 12 Ryder cups. So what makes it any different this time?
America have very little experience of how to win this event in recent times and as I said not one of them have winning percentages, throw in the numerous bible bashing rookies none of which are playing all that great at the moment so will have low confidence and its a pretty even match up.

Also poulter is more likely to play with rose.

I think the yanks might well win this time, but you are just showing your lack of knowledge that this will be a walkover.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 17 Sep - 20:39

raycastleunited,

Good post and you're right the reason you do so well is because you're a tight unit.....Makes me cringe when I used to hearour people moan about being paid to play etc....

I expect Poulter, Mcdowell, Donald and Rose to certainly turn up and have a positive average however......Westwood just isn't looking that solid and Garcia is always a question mark..

Not sure with 50,000 screaming fans on the Sunday some of the lesser fare will turn up!!

Love it to be 8-8 going into the singles....

Just don't think it will be and you'll have to top-load like we did at Brookline!!

Leaving Kaymer, Colsearts, Lawrie and Francesco with our cream.....

who knows..It's sport and anything can happen!!

I know plenty about golf (why the abuse).....Man City have a crap record against Everton!!! but It doesn't mean I won't fancy them to win next time they play!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 17 Sep - 20:42

Never said it would be a walkover.....16-12 look at the thread....

Convincing for sure but not the shellacking you gave us under Langer..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 17 Sep - 20:45

It's not an insult, just an assessment on your statement that Europe Can't Win despite them doing so man many times when people like yourself convey that same opinion.

Westwood was also superb last week.

Do you know anything about Colsaerts?
Can't see why you are dismissing lawrie or molinari either Although I am a little concerned about kaymer.

your big dogs hardly shine in this event do they?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 17 Sep - 20:48

They won pretty easy last time on home soil with guys like Boo and chad playing...

Think the team is stronger now...

although your Captain is better this time and his staff also....

Your big players have to turn up.......not sure ours do...

That's the difference.......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon 17 Sep - 20:51

It's a "you pick em" to me. Both sides solid.

(What happened 10, 15 or 20 years ago meaningless to this event, however.)

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 17 Sep - 20:52

We shall see, shan't we?

The yanks may well win, but I predict it will be tight. Europe will remember how bad they were under faldo, doubt they want to repeat that.

Mind you must get boring winning all the time, maybe they'll let the yanks win for a change as they must feel sorry for them and their embarassing record.

Ps, your big players never turn up, Europes do.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 17 Sep - 20:56

A hostile loud atmosphere will mean one or two things...

You go to pieces... or.... You say right then come on....

Think at least eight of the Europeans will take the latter....

Not sure about four of them though.....

But like you say.........Oakhill 95 you were written off......

PS...That was the greatest performance I ever saw Seve vs Lehman!!! The guy was garbage and yet he found magic after magic to frustrate Lehman..

A measure of the great man...anyone else would have been trashed!!

R I P..........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 17 Sep - 21:00

Well, its certainly true thst you have a moronic support, Europe know what to expect.

Would love to know why you dismiss so many of the European team seeing as its based on nothing at all other than poor prejudiced information. Doubt you know much about any of them.
Hope rather than expectation I would imagine.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 17 Sep - 21:13

You're just trying to goad me........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 17 Sep - 21:26

I'm impressed you spelt "prejudiced" right though...

Get rid of that pent up hostility......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Mon 17 Sep - 21:44

Lehman did beat ballesteros 4&3. It could have been 8&7, but it was still convincing.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 17 Sep - 21:46

I know but that isn't the point.....

Just seeing him fight like that had an uplifting effect on his team mates...

wonderful stuff...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Mon 17 Sep - 22:02

It was clever captaincy I think. Bernard Gallagher knew seve was going to get a shellacking regardless of who he played in the singles. Seve's game was terrible. Gallagher put him out first, and he played tom Lehman who was one of the strongest Americans. Lehman could have beaten almost anyone, so his effect was neutralized. Clever stuff.

Last edited by George1507 on Tue 18 Sep - 7:59; edited 1 time in total

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 17 Sep - 22:36

Strange day that, all GB&I players earned at least half a point, every Continental European lost, purely coincidence; Philip Walton and David Gilford unlikely heroes, Clark and James too - who will emulate them in Chicago?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Tue 18 Sep - 19:47

TRUSSMAN66 wrote: It is a thoughtful piece.....

But you don't consider Lawrie 'Ryder Cup Quality'? He is one of the most in form players we have (9 tops 10's in the last year and 2 wins, 6th in the race to Dubai) and in case you forgot he is a major winner who has already played in a RC. Put a bit more thought in next time if you don't wan't to look like an ignorant WUM.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 18 Sep - 20:57

Grow up.......

He was a major winner some time a go...

anyway you're not worth it...don't post on here!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Tue 18 Sep - 22:44

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Grow up.......

anyway you're not worth it...don't post on here!!

Irony is clearly lost on you!

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 19 Sep - 7:51

Trussman. It is irrelevant that ANYONE playing in a Ryder Cup has won a major.
The American team has a list of majors as long as their arm, but not a single player on the American player has won more than he's lost in Ryder Cup matches, plus loads of this years team have never played a Ryder Cup and might freeze. We just don't know. Plus Mullet Watson and Bible Thumper Simpson are hardly burning it up right now. The only player I think who has proper calibre right now is fat and sweaty faced Jason Dufner.

If current form matters (and I'm not sure it does) it is Europe that look the most confident and well prepared as everyone in the team has had good results in the last 6 weeks.

You've shown you know nothing about European golf, so stop trying to speculate about players you know absolutely nothing about.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 19 Sep - 19:35

"Irony is clearly lost on you....."

Always one parasite that ruins every sports section!!! picard

I haven't mentioned major winners.....super

Look you drag up the past as if it is significant...

Fact is...we have a great team and we are at home..

you have a great 6/7 players but I think the rest are weak..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Wed 19 Sep - 19:42

I know it's been pointed out, but your assertion that the rest are weak are only based on the fact that you don't know very much about them.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 19 Sep - 19:47

I know a lot about them....

Molinari's short game is lacking and his brother won't be holding his hand.....Kaymer is out of form.....Lawrie is a workmanlike golfer.....Colseart's will be going into the dragon's den and we all remember BROOKLINE!!

Don't patronise me.....I know a lot about golf....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Wed 19 Sep - 19:48

What did Colsaerts do at Brookline?

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 19 Sep - 19:52

Rolling Eyes

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed 19 Sep - 20:34

You really believe that Molinari's brother has anything to do with his game?

This thing is waaaaay to close to call IMO.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Wed 19 Sep - 21:02

Lawrie is playing the golf of his life now, so should be able to better his previous RC performance; 3½ out of 5, including victories over Mickleson AND Woods.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 19 Sep - 22:04

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:...Don't patronise me.....I know a lot about golf....
Laugh Laugh Meanwhile, back on Planet Earth...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next