The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales recall Gabbiddon and Eastwood

Go down

Wales recall Gabbiddon and Eastwood Empty Wales recall Gabbiddon and Eastwood

Post by Adam D Mon 31 Jan 2011 - 15:40

"West Ham United's Danny Gabbidon has come out of international retirement to be included in new Wales boss Gary Speed's first squad.
Speed has also included Aaron Ramsey, who is on loan at Cardiff City from Arsenal, for the 8 February Nations Cup clash with the Republic of Ireland.

Tottenham Hotspur's Gareth Bale has a back injury and Cardiff's Craig Bellamy (knee) was not considered.

Coventry City's Freddie Eastwood also returns to the Wales fold.

There had also been speculation over a possible return from retirement of Fulham midfielder Simon Davies, but that has not happened.
Speed said: "Simon said he was tempted but at the moment he wants to concentrate on his Fulham career and I respect that totally. Obviously Simon is a quality player but I totally respect his decision."

Wales take on the Republic of Ireland at the rebuilt Aviva Stadium and the following night Northern Ireland take on Scotland at the same venue.
Bellamy has been suffering knee problems and as Cardiff face fellow Championship promotion rivals Swansea City on Sunday, Speed feels it would be unfair to ask him to play two days later.

Speed said: "I am sure everyone is aware of Craig's situation and it would be wrong of me to ask him to play on Tuesday after playing on Sunday.

"The last thing we want is players going back to their clubs injured."
Speed said of Ramsey: "I'm delighted he's available. He is really relishing the challenge and the Ireland game might come at the right time for him.
"He is hopefully one of the cogs in the wheel that will make us successful. He's one of those players who can change a game."

Wales squad:

J Brown (Blackburn), W Hennessey (Wolves), B Myhill (West Brom); D Collins (Stoke), J Collins (Aston Villa), N Eardley (Blackpool), D Gabbidon (West Ham), C Gunter (Nottingham Forest), C Morgan (Preston), S Ricketts (Bolton), A Williams (Swansea); A Crofts (Norwich), D Edwards (Wolves), A King (Leicester), J Ledley (Celtic), A Ramsey (Cardiff), D Vaughan (Blackpool); S Church (Reading), R Earnshaw (Nottingham Forest), C Evans (Sheffield United), F Eastwood (Coventry), S Morison (Millwall), H Robson-Kanu (Read
ing)."

source: bbc website

Good news about Eastwood - not so sure about Gabbiddon. Thoughts?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down