The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: Runners and Ryders: Notes from the Ballwasher

+39
Bob_the_Job
JAS
Good Golly I'm Olly
CJB
djlovesyou
Skerries
dolfinack
delToro87
Leff
GPB
AlciG
Dave.
Mad for Chelsea
LastDamnation
Hibbz
monty junior
wadey101
incontinentia
sirbenson
Sand
EmmDee57
Tiler76
Tinmar
1GrumpyGolfer
princedracula
barragan
Plunky
pedro
JDizzle
John Cregan
Lairdy
McLaren
mystiroakey
Diggers
SmithersJones
Shotrock
twoeightnine
super_realist
kwinigolfer
43 posters

Page 1 of 12 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: Runners and Ryders: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty PGA Tour: Runners and Ryders: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:17 pm

1).From the ridiculous to the sublime this week, or from the contrived to the (fiercely) competitive if you prefer.
Thumbs down thumbsdown here for the FedEx Cup but thumbs up thumbsup for the individual tournaments, most of which, as usual, provided for compelling viewing, though perhaps less so as the Play-offs went on - certainly at least half of last weekend's "competitors" seemed to be going through the motions once their chances at the wheelbarrow-full of $10M were gone.

2).The best player of the Play-Offs was clearly identified, Rory McIlroy, while the bloke with the best timing, Brandt Snedeker and his red hot putter, received all the plaudits, not to mention much of the loot.
Rory will be Player Of The Year, no question about that, while Brandt's marathon of nine tournaments in ten weeks was richly rewarded - can only hope that Medinah will be one week too far (as it almost certainly will be for Furyk).

3).And before we look at this week's events in Chicago, a word about the first inductee to the World Golf Hall Of Fame for 2013, Freddie Couples.
Given that no-one received the 65% of the vote in the PGA Tour ballot for automatic induction, Fred was the lucky loser with 51%. No doubt the most popular man on the ballot (the equally well-qualified but terminally curmudgeonly, Weiskopf doesn't even merit a vote any more), Couples led Love and Venturi (38%), O'Meara (36%), Tony Lema (28%), Macdonald Smith (24%) and double-Major winners Zoeller and Stockton. My vote would have been for Venturi but his retirement away from the public eye seems to diminish his legacy rather than enhance it.
"International" votes expected soon. Perhaps a phone call that Padraig Harrington will be happy to receive?

4).While most of America looks the other way, all golfing eyes will be fixed on Chicago this week and Medinah's cauldron. The golfing stereotypes seem to have been in play in setting up Medinah's 7,600 yards:
~Team USA have the best/longest drivers, so widen the fairways for the grip-it-and-rippers and minimize the rough.
~Europe make all the crucial putts, so speed the greens up to Augusta National standards.
~USA prefer flop-shots around the green, Europe the chip-and-run,
etc, etc.
In addition it seems to be fashionable to feel that FedEx action has sharpened Team USA's competitive form.
So let's have a look.

5).Form first, and most of the combatants played Bridgestone, the PGA and at least some Play-Off or ET golf. The players with most owgr points these past eight weeks then are:
McIlroy: 271
Snedeker: 127
Bradley: 115 (but only 10 in the past five weeks)
Rose: 89
Garcia and Woods: 80
Those with fewer than 25 points include: Kuchar, Simpson, Zach, Colsaerts, McDowell, Kaymer and Molinari (with only 9.66 in four events).
Edge to Team USA, though additional tournaments for most of them introduce the fatigue factor.

6).Driving:
With apologies to non-PGA Tour members, the driving distance stats on this year's PGA Tour show:
1st: Bubba Watson
4th: Dustin
5th: McIlroy
14th: Bradley
28th: Westwood
Given Colsaerts' length and Garcia's extra gear this is closer than DLIII probably realises, though clearly Mickelson and Woods can swing for the fences when they can do so with impunity.
Edge to Team USA.

7).Putting:
The "Strokes gained Putting" Tour stats show the following:
1st: Snedeker
2nd: Donald
7th: Mickelson (difficult to believe)
10th: Zach
23rd: Kuchar
24th: Furyk (difficulter to believe)
26th: Garcia (difficultest to believe)
Definite Edge to Team USA.

8).So why fear the Europeans?
Ryder Cup records of golfers with winning RC records:
Westwood: 16-11-6: (2-5 in singles)
Garcia: 14-6-4: (even with a 1 win, 4 losses singles record)
Donald: 8-2-1: (6-0 in foursomes)
Poulter: 8-3-0: (winning record in each format, 3-0 in singles)
McDowell: 4-2-2
Rose: 3-1-0
Lawrie: 3-1-1
Kaymer: 2-1-1

Team USA:
-

Big Edge to Europe, but history may not be worth a damn.

9).I can't see Europe winning unless Garcia and Westwood come up trumps and banish the memory of the forlorn figures they cut at Valhalla.
Head: USA
Heart: Europe
Result: Chicken: 14-14 so Europe keep Cup.

10).And one more compelling reason to hope Europe win:
1991 Ryder Cup protagonist David Feherty has publicly stated he hopes Team USA win.
What a pr1ck.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Runners and Ryders: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: Runners and Ryders: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:51 pm

PS: Spectacular forecast for Friday, Saturday and Sunday;
High 60's to Low 70's.
Mostly sunny.
Light winds.
Just a 20% chance of a Saturday shower.

Would think that would favour Team USA.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Runners and Ryders: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: Runners and Ryders: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:57 pm

PPS; Bitter sweet for one-time Ryder Cupper Robert Karlsson as he tees it up this week in Charlotte's web.com tournament. Would think he's playing for his PGA Tour future these next six or so weeks. Would he go the Q-School route or just slink back to Europe and rehab his health and his swing?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:07 pm

Wonder if the septics have got rain gear this time.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by twoeightnine Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:10 pm

Just briefly back to the Play Offs. My first thought when I saw Sneds roll in the winning putt was, wow. His caddie has just picked up about $1M for that!

The other one was how sometimes being a pro can make the course easier. I cannot be sure but Sneds hooked his drive on the 18th badly and had the stand not been there he may well have been OOB and reloading. Suddenly a double bogie may have been very hard but he had a reasonably easy chip to get down in 3 from instead.

twoeightnine

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:15 pm

Kwin - TOTALLY disagree on Snedeker and the flat stick ... hope he keeps it going! One can also hope Westwood keeps current form going too ... Smile

Brandt clearly read the playoff rules. Gotta wonder about Rory or Tiger's reading comprehension. No college for Rory so he gets a pass, but Stanford?

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:17 pm

Westwood seems to have shaken off last week's poor form already - 59 better ball score with Luuuke yesterday, albeit in practice.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:28 pm

Sr,
No disputing Sneds the best player last week, Rory needs to find fairways this week - tho' that shouldn't be too difficult as they have to be wide enough to accomodate DJ and Bubbs, plus Phil and Eldrick the (Ryder Cup) Unready.

Completely agree, happens a lot, bit like down the right of RStG's 18th fairway last year.
I also think the lift, clean and place rule needs modification - too many players "lifting" the ball from rough to fairway, or to give them a better line on their putts (which they wouldn't get on the green).

s_r,
Lucky for some that there's no significant rain in the forecast.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:13 pm

The RC had to be completely contrived by creating Team Europe to stop it staying a ridiculous one sided thrashing so maybe it's not so different from the FedEx in that respect.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:19 pm

Digs,
That's true about the RC embracing Europe - I would say enhanced rather than contrived, but it certainly doesn't create a situation where the first part of it are rendered meaningless by a re-jigging of the score for the final round of matches.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:25 pm

Well you could say that the matches that took place before Europe came into the frame were rendered meaningless as nobody really counts those USA victories as worth anything now.
Anyway just making a point that all competitions get tinkered with over the years as I'm sure the FedEx will again.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:53 pm

Both the Ryder and Fed Ex cups work because it's no longer a forgone conclusion coming in the event (final event for the Fed Ex Cup).

No sponsor would put up money in the Fed Ex cup if, on the final weekend, they didn't all have a chance (you decide how realistic). It would be folly to commit to that ad spend otherwise. That's why they call it professional golf boys.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:03 pm

Couldn't care less about the FedEx Cup - it provides for fine tournaments, but as they replace similarly fine tournaments without all the hoopla, it's easy to surmise that the only difference is a bit more loot (well, a lot more loot to the least interesting of the events).

Fully understand why the Tour has done it and good for them - not my cup of tea though. McIlroy still POTY and ironic that two Play-off wins helped substantiate his claims!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:08 pm

Kwin - Interestingly, I could not care less about POTY. Keeps the journalists and many a fan on edge, but never a real accounting issue like the fed ex cup.

I think we can pencil Rory in for that award next year, too.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:18 pm

POTY? No, nor could I, but love the irony.

PS: The GCofN is looking good, greens in lovely shape - 3-putted four in a row. Don't think I've ever done that before.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:50 pm

Must be pretty close to peak colors (I never believe the maps), what a great time of year to play in CNY. Did your 3 putts start on #6?

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:00 pm

Very carelessly started on #2.
Colours turning but not yet peak - a picture in the good light we've had so much of. Should take my camera rather than my clubs . . . . .
Skanks just about to win, and I hear (not from The Onion) the NFL's "replacement officials" include some rejects from the Lingerie Football League. Just another sporting day in paradise.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:12 pm

#2 a bruiser of a green, depending of course, on where you are and pin placement.

Did I mention I hate the Christmas tress lining that (generally wet) fairway. Smile

No clear favorite heading into the post season - making it all the more enjoyable IMO.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:20 pm

I love the 2nd hole, even the green - one of my top eighteen played anywhere - and those trees have really grown! Good from the standpoint that you can't get away with trying to go up the right any more and get stuck in them!
P & T seemed well, even if condemning the set-up there to seasons of benign neglect if no-one makes them an offer they can't refuse. Hadn't realised that L has taken on their SYR course. That'll help.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:43 am

"10).And one more compelling reason to hope Europe win:
1991 Ryder Cup protagonist David Feherty has publicly stated he hopes Team USA win.
What a pr1ck. "

what a wrongon!!!

good artcile kwini- But couldnt you have made the stats better for team europe!!

donald and poults for my money are the best two matchplayers out there, and both know the states very well- they will be key to a Europe victory

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:49 am

I still don’t understand why the tour championship cant have two threads running at once? Even the most “get in the hole” golf fan could follow two stories at one time. Just award slightly more points in the tour championship and even with rory having won the first two events, he and tiger could have been battling for a decent, if not the win. As I said on the other thread just look at the end of F1 seasons to see the excitement that can be had when championship contenders are fighting for that vital position, no matter if it is 1st or 10th.

As for the ryder cup I think my thread probably hinted at my feelings towards it. I may wash my hair on Saturday and give my make believe cat a pedicure on Sunday.

Although, has anyone else noticed the tasteless sneds quote on the beeb sports page.

"I'm very, very competitive," said the world number 10. "People don't get that because I'm polite. But I'm going to try to beat their brains in as bad as I can."

Nice. This the week after we learn his coaches son is basically a vegetable after a horrific brain injury.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:56 am

I like Snedeker. Seems a good guy.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:36 am

He does have a silly American name though Super. Surely you must hate him for that and being American, its part of your code.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:34 pm

Yes, and his eyes are too close together.

I do like America and American's by and large, there are just a lot of high profile ones who give them a bad name. (them and the moronic fans we'll see tomorrow)

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:11 pm

"I do like America and American's by and large"

It looks like someone has hacked super realist's account.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:22 pm

Is SR getting some action between the sheets. And I have also noticed that Mac is being abit overly friendly as well. Have you come out pal?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:43 pm

No such luck Oakey, still in the middle of a Sahara like desert.

THought it might be time to be a bit nicer though, we'll see how long it lasts.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:45 pm

I think Supers getting some action as well, arent you in Norway at the moment ?
He had some guy who used to post on here give him some stick on the other renegade golf board and he just rolled over and took it like a bitch. I can only assume it was a post coital response.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:48 pm

Steady Diggers, It did make me think though, didn't want to be seen as Sin E, Trussman.

Norway in two weeks though.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:54 pm

You are taking the wrong path as soon as you begin to care what other people on these boards think of you. Just be yourself,however annoying that may be, if they dont like it they can swivel.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:02 pm

True Diggers, generally I'll say what I think, but a lot of the time I'll post out of boredom rather than with anything worthwhile (many will wonder if I've ever posted anything worthwhile), and usually for the purpose of goading people or having a dig at the tatty munchers.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:09 pm

SR's not annoying!!

Yes i have made myself vomit saying that!

Try the nicey nicey with the ladys pal- It may work!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:14 pm

I'm probably far too nice to the ladies. It's just my online presence where I am a miserable curmudgeon.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:23 pm

Arr well that could be the problem dude!! Norways gonna sort you out.. Fun lovling birds there. Put on your scottish accent

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:26 pm

SR

Have you suffered a tragedy, this is a massive change in attitude.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:28 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Arr well that could be the problem dude!! Norways gonna sort you out.. Fun lovling birds there. Put on your scottish accent

No need Oakey, I speak pretty good Norwegian.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:31 pm

Super, I dont get it. You claim to be handsome and nice to the ladies which should be a winner really as you are also in a good job and are well spoken. Your starting point is therefore way above most of the men in Scotland who are in the main ugly, uncouth, illiterate dole wallahs.
Therefore I can only assume its some sort of personal hygiene issue maybe ?

Last edited by Diggers on Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:32 pm

"No need Oakey, I speak pretty good Norwegian."

aye right. You would be the only sun reader able to speak english never mind norwegian.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:33 pm

Yeah brush your teeth SR

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:44 pm

Diggers wrote:Super, I dont get it. You claim to be handsome and nice to the ladies which should be a winner really as you are also in a good job and are well spoken. Your starting point is therefore way above most of the men in Scotland who are in the main ugly, uncouth, illiterate dole wallahs.
Therefore I can only assume its some sort of personal hygiene issue maybe ?

Diggers I have unrealistically high standards in the women I have an interest. Besides all nice women appear to be attracted to utter bell ends.

As for it being a personal hygiene issue. Well, perhaps people are too polite to tell me. Wales

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:49 pm

SR you need to get drunk more!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:49 pm

Is an unrealistic high standard in a scottish woman one who has most of her teeth and still has 30% of her vast body not covered in tattoos ?

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:51 pm

Diggers wrote:Is an unrealistic high standard in a scottish woman one who has most of her teeth and still has 30% of her vast body not covered in tattoos ?

a.k.a a supermodel.

I am disgusted how fat some are though. Unacceptable.
There were plenty of beauties in Edinburgh though, bit thinner on the ground in Aberdeen though

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:55 pm

Edinburgh isnt really Scotland though is it. Its a little bit of Southern England dropped up there, a bit like Harrogate and York in the north of England. An oasis in a sea of dross.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:59 pm

It's true, the rest of the country and proletarians (plebs if you prefer) of this country are of a pretty poor standard educationally, mentally and physically, exactly who Heart Attack Salmond will deliberately target in 2014 where he will attempt to create the World's most pathetic independent nation.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:35 pm

Super you should move to the US. Have you seen how well the likes of Dufner have done for themselves??

Hi Kwini, Nice write up. Childishly made me laugh out loud at the end. I hope Feherty's mate Sam Torrance chins him. I read what he says about the US troops etc but not sure why visiting troops in a country they shouldnt be in can influence someone THAT much. Weird.

and what about the 3 people we should thank for reinvigorating the RC? Nicklaus ok he suggested inviting Europe. Azinger - really? Finchem - WHAT?? Might as well just thank Anthony Kim while we are at it.

Agree that Westwood has to step up like he did in 2010, but in front of the US fans. Pretty confident that Sergio will.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:42 pm

Lairdy, being a rich sportsman seems to make all sorts of women froth at the gash.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:56 pm

Seems like Ollie is going to go with the following pairings for the 4somes:

McIlroy/McDowell
Donald/Garcia
Poulter/Rose
Westwood & Someone else (prob Molinari)

Anyone agree/disagree??

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:17 pm

John Cregan wrote:Seems like Ollie is going to go with the following pairings for the 4somes:

McIlroy/McDowell
Donald/Garcia
Poulter/Rose
Westwood & Someone else (prob Molinari)

Anyone agree/disagree??

Would Westwood/Molinari work that well? I mean, it is two guys with the same game really. Both hit it straight but don't make many putts. Is that an ideal foursomes partnership?

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:18 pm

Westwood/Lawrie or Westwood/Hanson might be a better fit than Molinari.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 12 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next