The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scarlets v Dragons, Friday 5th October

+19
PenfroPete
LordDowlais
BigTrevsbigmac
LeinsterFan4life
wales606
youngguns6
Looseheaded
Breadvan
SubsBench
gowales
thebluesmancometh
bedfordwelsh
Morgannwg
maestegmafia
glamorganalun
Kingshu
Smirnoffpriest
munkian
Luckless Pedestrian
23 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Scarlets v Dragons, Friday 5th October Empty Scarlets v Dragons, Friday 5th October

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 04 Oct 2012, 2:10 pm

Scarlets: Liam Williams; George North, Gareth Maule, Scott Williams, Andy Fenby; Aled Thomas, Tavis Knoyle; Phil John, Matthew Rees, Samson Lee, Sione Timani, Johan Snyman, Aaron Shingler, Rob McCusker (capt), Josh Turnbull.

Replacements: Ken Owens, Shaun Hopkins, Deacon Manu, Richard Kelly, Kieran Murphy, Gareth Davies, Rhys Priestland, Morgan Stoddart.

Dragons: Dan Evans; Adam Hughes, Pat Leach, Andy Tuilagi, Tom Prydie; Steffan Jones, Jonathan Evans; Toby Faletau, Nic Cudd, Lewis Evans (capt), Adam Jones, Ian Nimmo, Dan Way, Steve Jones, Phil Price.

Replacements : Hugh Gustafson, Aaron Coundley, Nathan Buck, Jevon Groves, Tom Brown, Liam Davies (Bedwas), Ashley Smith, Will Harries.

Referee: Nigel Owens (WRU)

Assistant Referees: Ian Davies, Gwyn Morris (both WRU)

Citing Commissioner: Aurwell Morgan (WRU)

TMO: Derek Bevan (WRU) - Shocked

So what do we think? Where's your money?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Scarlets v Dragons, Friday 5th October Empty Re: Scarlets v Dragons, Friday 5th October

Post by munkian Thu 04 Oct 2012, 2:31 pm

I think if we play like we did against Embra we have a decent chance. Pin em in their half, out ruck them and kick the points.

We must keep their backs quiet, they have a very dangerous back three.

I think we CAN out-ruck them and if we are clinical and take the points we can win, if it gets loose and sloppy they'll get 4try bonus points at least.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Scarlets v Dragons, Friday 5th October Empty Re: Scarlets v Dragons, Friday 5th October

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 04 Oct 2012, 2:32 pm

I thought Snyman was too unfit to play regional rugby and was beign put through his paces and would be playing for Llanelli RFC for a 2 weeks or so.

Big risk - good to see Aled Thomas get a chance, worrying though that we've got a rookie in Shaun Hopkins on the bench.

And GREAT to see Stodds back! Yahoo though surprised him and Owens are back so soon.

The more I look at the Dragons backline (and increasingly their backrow/locks) the stronger they look - the Dragons are building a nice squad, they just need a front row!

I'll stick my neck out and say a Scarlets win, but it'll be a good match.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 04 Oct 2012, 2:35 pm

I'd be angry if we'd picked a weakened side for this, but as it is, we shouldn't go there with any fear at all. If we play sensibly like we did in the second half against Edinburgh then we can come away with the spoils.

But the Scarlets will be favourites, and not without reason.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 04 Oct 2012, 2:51 pm

From what I know of the Scarlets they have athletic backrowers rather than physical rucking ones - would that be an acurate description ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 04 Oct 2012, 2:52 pm

Scarlets ought to win. Even their second string has our number recently. I hope we give a good account of ourselves though and would take an LBP right now.

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 04 Oct 2012, 3:05 pm

Chav is back on the bench next week, wish we had him now, Fenby and North are on fire. We will have to improve our first up tackling against them.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 04 Oct 2012, 4:10 pm

I really hope our locks and compete against the Dragons, I think our backrow will do a good job, though of course Toby will do a lot better than McCusker at 8. The half back battle will be interesting, and probably depends on who wins the breakdown battle/gets clean ball.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 04 Oct 2012, 4:29 pm

Christ, its Nigel 'Turk' Owens, you'll win the breakdown battle Sad
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Thu 04 Oct 2012, 4:35 pm

Think Scarlets are favourites, and will win.

But its a Derby, and we say Connacht v Leinster what can happen.

Scarlets will be looking for a good performance before h-cup.

Dragons, don't know if they take Almin as seriously, will want another regional scalp.

Has North played in every game so far?

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 04 Oct 2012, 4:40 pm

munkian wrote:Christ, its Nigel 'Turk' Owens, you'll win the breakdown battle Sad

HA! last few times he's reffed he's seemed to favour the Ospreys and a few other physical and/or canny sides more

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 04 Oct 2012, 4:40 pm

The difference between Dragons and Scarlets is hardly the same as Leinster and Connacht though.

I'd agree Scarlets are faves though, we just need to keep our heads, our 10 is better anyway Very Happy
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 04 Oct 2012, 4:41 pm

Kingshu wrote:Think Scarlets are favourites, and will win.

But its a Derby, and we say Connacht v Leinster what can happen.

Scarlets will be looking for a good performance before h-cup.

Dragons, don't know if they take Almin as seriously, will want another regional scalp.

Has North played in every game so far?

All except for Treviso I think Kingshu

And I agree, anything can happen in a derby. We will be looking for a good performance and a win - doesn't mean we'll get either though.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Thu 04 Oct 2012, 5:21 pm

I think the Dragons will need to be on the money in defence as the Scarlets are more dangerous than Munster. It is a shame Gavin Thomas gave up for the Dragons he would have loved this game playing against a number 6 from his old club or even D Waters.

I think the Scarlets have too much fire power but if the Dragons forwards take it to the Scarlets who knows.

I was hoping Preistland was going to start so that Jones can show he can do to enhance his Wales chances.

Scarlets by 15.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 04 Oct 2012, 5:24 pm

It'll be interesting to see how Snyman goes, and the options he'll give us in the lineout.

Does anyone know what's happened to Howel Stoddart? The BBC article makes a mention of him and says he's suffered a 'catastrophic injury' which sounds awful (especially after what his brother went through), but they don't say any more.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 04 Oct 2012, 5:43 pm

I have a feeling this could be one of the best games of the weekend, no doubting the fierce rivalry between Munster and Leinster will create a great game.

Wonderful to see Mr Stoddart on the bench, poor bloke has had a hell of a time getting back from a nasty leg break. Apparently now better and faster than ever.

Lots of players looking to prove a point to the opposite teams. Aled Thomas went one way as Dan Evans went the other. Both will be up for a great performance.

Good battle at half back too with Steffan Jones and Jon Evans out to prove a point over Knoyle and Thomas/Priestland.

Can't wait.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Thu 04 Oct 2012, 6:05 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:It'll be interesting to see how Snyman goes, and the options he'll give us in the lineout.

Does anyone know what's happened to Howel Stoddart? The BBC article makes a mention of him and says he's suffered a 'catastrophic injury' which sounds awful (especially after what his brother went through), but they don't say any more.

From wales on line:

The gloom surrounded his brother Hywel Stoddart. The Dragons flanker suffered a serious knee injury playing for Newport RFC against Llandovery in the Principality Premiership last weekend and could be out for the rest of the season.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 04 Oct 2012, 8:50 pm

Well our back-row injuries continue... Good pair of teams. When you see them on paper you think 'open-rugby' but that hasn't always been the case. Although I hope it is on friday. Nice to see the Scarlets give Samson a start, but would have also liked to have seen Dan Thomas involved somewhere. And I also see you've put your best halfback parntership on the bench to come and mix things up in the 2nd half.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 05 Oct 2012, 8:30 am

Whilst not wanting to sound defeatist bit if we can get a losing BP from tonights game I would be happy.

Hopefully our confidence is back a bit after a good result last week but despite letting their lead slip last week the Scarlets have looked good and at home will be favourites.

A few observations from a Welsh POV:

I imagine Shingler will have his game on now given there a No6 spot up for grabs. Also despite playing at No7 Lewis Evans has been in the set up before so he might famcy his chances and McCusker who has become a bit of the forgotten man in the back row battle.

Prydie and S Jones have good opportunities over next few weeks to push their claims to.

Great to see Stoddart back and whats the news coming out of PYS, has Priestland been dropped or rested?

bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 05 Oct 2012, 9:05 am

I haven't a prediction for this game. Scarlets have a stronger team and bench but Dragons are not far behind.

After giving away the game in Italy last week it shows Scarlets can be vulnerable.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 05 Oct 2012, 10:28 am

I think Priestland has been rested Bedford. It'll also be interesting to see how Cudd goes as well.

I agree Maes, it could go either way

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 05 Oct 2012, 11:08 am

We'll have to box clever if we're going to win. I was impressed with our approach last Friday but whether we can replicate that away from home is another matter.

Not long to wait now! Very Happy

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 05 Oct 2012, 12:24 pm

I'm looking forward to this, Evans with a point to prove, Jones would've wanted a RP head to head but oh well, Prydies knows he has to performe against what is the best backline in Wales if not europe.

For all the talent out wide though it'll be the packs who determine who wins, I think if the Dragons 8 work the breakdown well they stand a chance, if they are beaten at the ruck it could get messy.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Fri 05 Oct 2012, 12:32 pm

I read that Gareth Owen was fit for selection this weekend. Does anyone know if he'll be getting game time with a prem club?

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 05 Oct 2012, 12:45 pm

You'd assume so GoWales - but then I assumed Snyman would get gametime at Llanelli to ease him in, so I don't know.

It definately gives us lots of options in the backline. When Wales squad is together then we'll still have a backline of

Knoyle/Davies (depending on if Knoyle is called up)
Aled Thomas/J Williams
Fenby
Warren/G Owens
Maule
Stoddart
Jordan Williams (if Liam is called up which I expect)

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 05 Oct 2012, 1:07 pm

North is back. Booo
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 05 Oct 2012, 1:08 pm

munkian wrote:North is back. Booo

But u've got Tuilagi!

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 05 Oct 2012, 1:16 pm

He's quite a handful at the moment but North is streets ahead of him.

I see you have Williams come in for Foxy, thats a darn good substitution !
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 Oct 2012, 1:25 pm

The Scarlets players and coaching staff will be wearing pink ribbons to show their support for the campaign to find April Jones.

http://www.scarlets.co.uk/news/5228.php

it's times like this where rugby really just doesn't seem to be very important any more , but I am glad the Scarlets are doing this.

To make a comment on the rugby, i think it's going to be a close one, especially if we get the heavy rain that is forecast. Think Scarlets should just have enough to win though (as long as they avoid the moments of stupidity they showed against Treviso).

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 05 Oct 2012, 1:29 pm

I think we deserve to give the Turks a bloody nose, its been a long time Erm
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 Oct 2012, 1:33 pm

munkian wrote: I think we deserve to give the Turks a bloody nose, its been a long time Erm

Way too long. Dragons by 60 (or the parasites as we have been affectionately called on Scarletfever so I gather).

Nice touch by the Scarlets for wearing the ribbon though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 05 Oct 2012, 1:37 pm

munkian wrote: I think we deserve to give the Turks a bloody nose, its been a long time Erm

Thats not very nice! Shocked

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 Oct 2012, 1:38 pm

Nah Rev, think it's just on Gwlad you lot are called that Wink

It will be close like I said, actually think the teams are quite evenly matched.

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 05 Oct 2012, 1:41 pm

Dreamer do you know how long Earle is out for? Apparently, according to the BBC, he pulled out this week - and Snyman was meant to be playing for Llanelli, but has been brought in.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by SubsBench Fri 05 Oct 2012, 1:42 pm

On paper, with those teams and bench options, Scarlets should win. Unfortunately the game is being played on grass, not paper. Should be close. I think I'll put off stopping biting my nails until next week.

SubsBench

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 Oct 2012, 1:42 pm

All I've heard is that he's got a back strain, so am guessing he is being rested as a precaution? Don't think it's anything too serious anyways.

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 05 Oct 2012, 1:45 pm

That's good - and good to know that we'll have Owens, Stoddart and Snyman to select for the HEC games as well. Besides prop we've got strength and depth everywhere.

I would have like to see Dan Thomas get some gametime before the HEC/AIs though.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 05 Oct 2012, 1:47 pm

We've been called parasites by fans on the Scarlets boars quite recently actually Sad

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 Oct 2012, 1:49 pm

I don't think it'll be too close, in all honesty. I worry that Scarlets might have the same sort of joy that Munster and Leinster had against us. Never feel confident when the Dragons hit the road.

I think Scarlets by 15 or so, as much as it pains me to back against my team

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 Oct 2012, 1:50 pm

I don't think it'll be more than say an 8 point margin for a win I don't think Rev, it very rarely is between the two sides (I think?)

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 05 Oct 2012, 1:51 pm

munkian wrote:We've been called parasites by fans on the Scarlets boars quite recently actually Sad

Don't worry, I'm sure it's meant in an affectionate way... Smile

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 05 Oct 2012, 1:55 pm

I'd say more in a hypocritical kind of way Whistle Wink
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 05 Oct 2012, 2:01 pm

Why are we being called parasites? If we were the Newport Gwent Crabs then fair enough, but I don't understand it!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 05 Oct 2012, 2:17 pm

Don't mention Newport Gwent Crabs, painfull memories Whistle
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 05 Oct 2012, 2:51 pm

munkian wrote:Don't mention Newport Gwent Crabs, painfull memories Whistle

Laugh Sounds like a rugby tour gone wrong Laugh

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 05 Oct 2012, 3:59 pm

Apparently Nigel Owens is recovering from an ankle injury, so may not be as sprightly around the pitch tonight.

Nigel Owens ‏@Nigelrefowens
Ankle is ok been treated & iced.So gwd to go tomo nite. Refin Scarlets v Dragons. 1st game in the RaboPro12 this season.Lookin forward to it

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 05 Oct 2012, 4:08 pm

Just noticed this (unless they've updated the page) after someone on Twitter pointed it out, but the BBC website have 9 men listed in the Scarlets pack, and McCusker is in twice - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/19805012 Maybe they are just underlining that McCusker is playing as a 6, but is also in as an 8 ...

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 05 Oct 2012, 4:40 pm

Still won't help you #powderpuffpack laughing

Run
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 05 Oct 2012, 4:42 pm

Not with the parasites nibbling away at our forwards #GavThomas #Cudd

Run

Wink

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 05 Oct 2012, 4:44 pm

God I'm shoiting it, to say I was a Dragons 'fan' would imply I enjoy it Shocked
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next