The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scarlets v Dragons, Friday 5th October

+19
PenfroPete
LordDowlais
BigTrevsbigmac
LeinsterFan4life
wales606
youngguns6
Looseheaded
Breadvan
SubsBench
gowales
thebluesmancometh
bedfordwelsh
Morgannwg
maestegmafia
glamorganalun
Kingshu
Smirnoffpriest
munkian
Luckless Pedestrian
23 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Scarlets v Dragons, Friday 5th October - Page 4 Empty Scarlets v Dragons, Friday 5th October

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:10 am

First topic message reminder :

Scarlets: Liam Williams; George North, Gareth Maule, Scott Williams, Andy Fenby; Aled Thomas, Tavis Knoyle; Phil John, Matthew Rees, Samson Lee, Sione Timani, Johan Snyman, Aaron Shingler, Rob McCusker (capt), Josh Turnbull.

Replacements: Ken Owens, Shaun Hopkins, Deacon Manu, Richard Kelly, Kieran Murphy, Gareth Davies, Rhys Priestland, Morgan Stoddart.

Dragons: Dan Evans; Adam Hughes, Pat Leach, Andy Tuilagi, Tom Prydie; Steffan Jones, Jonathan Evans; Toby Faletau, Nic Cudd, Lewis Evans (capt), Adam Jones, Ian Nimmo, Dan Way, Steve Jones, Phil Price.

Replacements : Hugh Gustafson, Aaron Coundley, Nathan Buck, Jevon Groves, Tom Brown, Liam Davies (Bedwas), Ashley Smith, Will Harries.

Referee: Nigel Owens (WRU)

Assistant Referees: Ian Davies, Gwyn Morris (both WRU)

Citing Commissioner: Aurwell Morgan (WRU)

TMO: Derek Bevan (WRU) - Shocked

So what do we think? Where's your money?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Scarlets v Dragons, Friday 5th October - Page 4 Empty Re: Scarlets v Dragons, Friday 5th October

Post by maestegmafia Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:55 am

Treviso Winning 27 -15 up in Scotland

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Scarlets v Dragons, Friday 5th October - Page 4 Empty Re: Scarlets v Dragons, Friday 5th October

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:58 am

MOTM is a tough call today, Williams has been good, as has Maule but too bad a conditions to give it to the backs.

Lee has been good, but John gave much more in the loose. Rees went off too early, and Timani and Snyman were very solid. I'd say Falatau's work rate has been higher than anyones except for Lewis evans but not all effective.

Lee wasn't stand out but was there or there abouts

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:58 am

Game over well done considering the conditions there were some saving good moments in a game that was hard for both sides.

WEll reffed by Nigel too I thought

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:01 am

Now that Scarlets have a bit of grit I'd say they were a loosehead, goal kicker and back rower from being HC contenders!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:03 am

I suppose I'm happy we lose by 7, but in the grand scheme of things we've lost an LBP tonight. What was Jon Evans carded for?

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:08 am

What is it with Video Refs at PYS, Bevan made a huge blunder two weeks ago and now this one, that ball was through the posts, the replays cleraly showed it, what is going on?

Dragons hung in well, second best for most of the game but Faletau and Lewis Evans were imense. For the Scarlets Laim Williams, and pretty much the whole pack went well. Samson Lee at just 19 years of age looks a great prospect. But with heavily bandaged knees and a cauliflour ear already looks a seasoned prop. Great to see Stoddard look so sharp on his comeback!

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:20 am

Thought Morgan Stoddard looked really good for a comeback. Great pace and power.

Odd try but it could have give either way. I didn't think it did look over but I jabber Scarlet eyes
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:24 am

Disappointed in the Dragons though. We were apparently not in the game in the first half and of course we've had the usual "we are going to do this" off a Dragons player (target the scrum). Annoying. I wish they would stop doing that.

I really can't begrudge Stoddart scoring though. Awful injury to come back from and though he said he doesn't think he will warrant a Welsh call up, I think he could.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:31 am

Risca Rev wrote:What was Jon Evans carded for?

For the tiniest of tugs on Josh Turnbull's shirt, who himself could have been penalised for detaching early from the scrum. We'd just scored our try so the timing couldn't have been much worse.

We really didn't offer much all game and we shouldn't be surprised we lost. There wasn't much shape to us at all. But if it's true that Steffan Jones has been ill all week it makes Darren Edwards's decision not to have a recognised 10 on the bench all the more stupid.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:41 am

Knoyle has been the worst scrum-half in Wales for years, yet some people still rate him. He'll probably be in the Wales squad though for being the 2nd most experienced to Phillips. It's about time the best in Wales (Davies) had a shot. If Wales stick to their tradition of rewarding early good and consistent form to young guys then Jon Evans should also get picked.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:46 am

The Scarlets back row plays as if they have three Jon Thomas's playing all lightweight, the Dragons back row is better balanced and more powerful even with a weaker front 5. I can see Lewis Evans getting nto the Wales squad ahead of all three Scarlets 6's (Even Holey stated the Scarlets have three 6's playing) at 6 or 7.

There was a bit too much kicking in the game but the conditions were not great for good handling.

A win is a win for the Scarlets and good to see Stoddart back and playing well.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:52 am

glamorganalun wrote:The Scarlets back row plays as if they have three Jon Thomas's playing all lightweight, the Dragons back row is better balanced and more powerful even with a weaker front 5. I can see Lewis Evans getting nto the Wales squad ahead of all three Scarlets 6's (Even Holey stated the Scarlets have three 6's playing) at 6 or 7.

There was a bit too much kicking in the game but the conditions were not great for good handling.

All three before Shingler ? I think, you need, a rethink. Erm

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:53 am

I'd agree that Davies was the best 9 in Wales, but IMHO there are 3 better options not playing in Wales!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:05 am

The Scarlets have three good 6's but no go forward 8 and not ball winner 7 for the on the ground work, Shingler was not in the game against the Ospreys except in the line out. I still think Lewis Evans should be in the Wales squad ahead of McCuster, Turnbull and Shingler but Shingler will make the squad.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:29 am

LordDowlais wrote:
glamorganalun wrote:The Scarlets back row plays as if they have three Jon Thomas's playing all lightweight, the Dragons back row is better balanced and more powerful even with a weaker front 5. I can see Lewis Evans getting nto the Wales squad ahead of all three Scarlets 6's (Even Holey stated the Scarlets have three 6's playing) at 6 or 7.

All three before Shingler ? I think, you need, a rethink. Erm

You have a point here about the Scarlets back-row. Turnbull and Edwards are the most super-average flankers I've seen. Sometimes that's enough but sometimes it is not. McCusker is actually good if he can regain the form from previous season, form that seen him pick up some Wales caps. Shingler is good too, but could probably do with throwing his weight around a bit. If you're a good ball carrier then there isn't much difference between 6 and 8. Perhaps McGog and Shingles could swap positions and perhaps the Scarlets could call up their best fetcher into the squad (the one playing for Llanelli).
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:31 am

thebluesmancometh wrote:I'd agree that Davies was the best 9 in Wales, but IMHO there are 3 better options not playing in Wales!!

Phillips, Peel and Roberts?

And let's not forget the Llandovery scrum-half who is in outstanding form...
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:47 am

Evans has been in and around the Welsh squad before and had a ggod game tonight so he's not to far away from squad I dont think.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by youngguns6 Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:15 am

Both Evans's looked good and could get a welsh spot IMO.

People have said "we can see it, why can't the coaches" regarding the scrum but who on earth could we bring in? Were a million shy of the wage cap n Newport/Gwent is dying.

It is sad that we have top players struggling behind that pack.

youngguns6

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:46 am

Morgannwg wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:I'd agree that Davies was the best 9 in Wales, but IMHO there are 3 better options not playing in Wales!!

Phillips, Peel and Roberts?

And let's not forget the Llandovery scrum-half who is in outstanding form...

Rhodri Williams.

He played for Scarlets last year.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by theskippingpig Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:17 pm

I don't post very often but do enjoy reading these threads, but in my honest opinion i don't think Nigel owens, or any welsh officials should be involved in big welsh derbies. He is far to chatty with players, more often than not from the scarlets or Ospreys and i jusr find he is very inconsistent in these games.

It was far from a clasic last night, with the weather being a big factor, but i really did think the Dragons would be playing better rugby than they are. Darren Edwards has not recruited in the areas that we need i.e a seasoned front row that can get parity at scrum time, and an additional second row. The dragons pack is poor at the breakdown, turned over far to many times, and bar Falatau now one breaks the gain line. Why not use Tom Brown??, he had a really good season last year and offers some go forward??

theskippingpig

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:47 pm

I know decent front rowers (especially T/H) are in high demand and can demand top dollar but surely there must be a few seasoned pros out there that could do a job for us.

With Kingsley Jones involved with Russia I was hoping we might have had one or two from there.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:32 pm

The annoying thing is that our scrums have been getting better. We got a penalty from one early on but couldnt take advantage cos Jone's kicking was so poor
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by theskippingpig Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:35 pm

It was poor but we have a severe lack of go forward ball, very few seem to cross the gain line and put us on the front foot.

theskippingpig

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:37 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:I know decent front rowers (especially T/H) are in high demand and can demand top dollar but surely there must be a few seasoned pros out there that could do a job for us.

With Kingsley Jones involved with Russia I was hoping we might have had one or two from there.

Isn't Kingsley with London Welsh too...?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:04 pm

Dragons fgront row were duffed up last night by Phil John and a 19 year old boy.......that must be a big worry!

I have allways been impressed by Phil Price, but another strong prop and scrumaging hooker is needed. Also some grunt in the second row, which makes a big difference.

It would be interesting to know how much drive was generated by Scarlets new second row, Snyman last night. Their scrum certainly appreared stronger.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:08 pm

They should keep the same front 5 for Clermont. Starting with Manu would be a massive step backwards.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Ifandorbut Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:36 am

Morgannwg wrote:Knoyle has been the worst scrum-half in Wales for years, yet some people still rate him.

Morgannwg,

What is it with you and Knoyle? Has he had his wicked way with a girl friend of yours? It just seems as if you love to pounce on his every action???? Could it be that the people who rate him know a little bit more about rugby that you?

Puzzled

IAOB

Ifandorbut
Ifandorbut

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:28 am

maestegmafia wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:I know decent front rowers (especially T/H) are in high demand and can demand top dollar but surely there must be a few seasoned pros out there that could do a job for us.

Isn't Kingsley with London Welsh too...?

Is he,thats new one on me if he is Maes
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:28 am

Kingsley is with London Welsh.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:38 am

rugbydreamer wrote:Kingsley is with London Welsh.

In what capacity dreamer?

I didn't know that at all.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:23 pm

He's working with the forwards I believe. He was certainly with them when LW came down to play the Scarlets in the pre-season friendly.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4