The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When do you think Federer will retire ??

+15
Calder106
Jeremy_Kyle
LuvSports!
Josiah Maiestas
hawkeye
sirfredperry
Henman Bill
bogbrush
User 774433
lags72
time please
The Special Juan
CaledonianCraig
lydian
Haddie-nuff
19 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

When do you think Federer will retire ?? - Page 2 Empty When do you think Federer will retire ??

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 05 Oct 2012, 8:27 am

First topic message reminder :

It is a question that Im sure has crossed everyone´s minds whether you be a a fan of Rogers or not.
Im not but that does not exclude me from wondering how the game will be after he makes the decision to hang up his racket and concentrate on family life.. at least in the short term. For sure, as we have seen by Nadal´s absence, it will leave a big hole in the sport that no other player can fill. But it is an inevitability that cannot be ignored. Here is an article that is a bit thought provoking

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1358275-roger-federer-why-age-has-ended-his-run-as-tennis-greatest

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

When do you think Federer will retire ?? - Page 2 Empty Re: When do you think Federer will retire ??

Post by time please Fri 05 Oct 2012, 11:15 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:I opened up a thread which, much to my surprise, has attracted fair and reasonable comment. Im sorry you think it not worthy of the great man.

I am so glad that we have all surpassed your expectations Rolling Eyes Actually if you bothered to come here with an open mind rather than, so often, railing at Federer fans for most of the evils on the internet, you might find this is generally a very well mannered forum that tolerates opinion and debating. One look at your posting history shows that you will continue to be 'surprised' at this because you have a rather large chip of resentment, which seems to have little to do with this forum in its present condition, on your shoulders.

time please

Back to top Go down

When do you think Federer will retire ?? - Page 2 Empty Re: When do you think Federer will retire ??

Post by User 774433 Fri 05 Oct 2012, 11:21 pm

Rolling Eyes
It was a fine article, lets leave bickering out of this.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Fri 05 Oct 2012, 11:26 pm

Oh please don't you begin to be patronising IMBL - it doesn't suit you.

It is a good article, but there is no need, imo, for Mrs Had Enough to keep taking swipes at the forum every time someone jerks her strings!

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 05 Oct 2012, 11:32 pm

Anyway I don't think Federer will retire soon, he is world number 1 and playing well.
His last tournament wil probably be Basel as Lydian said, or Rio.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 05 Oct 2012, 11:34 pm

time please wrote:

It is a good article, but there is no need, imo, for Mrs Had Enough to keep taking swipes at the forum every time someone jerks her strings!
???

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Fri 05 Oct 2012, 11:53 pm

I'm sorry for your confusion - hope it's not too serious!

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 05 Oct 2012, 11:56 pm

Erm

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 06 Oct 2012, 3:45 am

When Rosewall at 78 was found sitting at Rakuten Open watching Tennis, I expect Federer to be doing the same. Whether he retires after Shanghai 2012 or 5 years from now @Basel 2017, the key is to enjoy his Tennis and leave his departure to him.

McEnroe played 12 years after the famous match with Borg. If I extrapolate, 2020 is when Federer will go to play the Champions Tour. Will he ever give up Tennis, not until the ripe old age of 80+? Wink

Then (in 2020) we can watch two more Federers on the Tennis court, perhaps, and see the other Federers in the rear view mirror. Yahoo

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Sat 06 Oct 2012, 4:58 am

at Thanksgiving dinner

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 06 Oct 2012, 7:31 am

time please wrote:
Haddie-nuff wrote:I opened up a thread which, much to my surprise, has attracted fair and reasonable comment. Im sorry you think it not worthy of the great man.

I am so glad that we have all surpassed your expectations Rolling Eyes Actually if you bothered to come here with an open mind rather than, so often, railing at Federer fans for most of the evils on the internet, you might find this is generally a very well mannered forum that tolerates opinion and debating. One look at your posting history shows that you will continue to be 'surprised' at this because you have a rather large chip of resentment, which seems to have little to do with this forum in its present condition, on your shoulders.

Im so glad you feel better getting that of your chest... and speaking of jerking strings.. !!!! I was not aware that I had to ask your permission to make a comment. but what I will do if you like is send you any comment I wish to make by pm... you can give it your approval or not as you see fit. How´s that. ??? Ive been a member of this forum for a very long time... fortunately we dont meet one another that often. It was a well mannered and tolerant thread until you arrived so draw your own conclusions.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sat 06 Oct 2012, 8:37 am

laverfan wrote:When Rosewall at 78 was found sitting at Rakuten Open watching Tennis, I expect Federer to be doing the same. Whether he retires after Shanghai 2012 or 5 years from now @Basel 2017, the key is to enjoy his Tennis and leave his departure to him.

McEnroe played 12 years after the famous match with Borg. If I extrapolate, 2020 is when Federer will go to play the Champions Tour. Will he ever give up Tennis, not until the ripe old age of 80+? Wink

Then (in 2020) we can watch two more Federers on the Tennis court, perhaps, and see the other Federers in the rear view mirror. Yahoo

As the proud father of his then new born twins I can remember Federer saying how he wanted to have children early enough so that they would be able to appreciate, enjoy and remember him playing. I laughed... not just at Federer being his usual ...(cough) modest self but also as a parent knowing that children don't always love the same things as their parents.

At this years Wimbledon Federer was asked again about his daughters interest in tennis. They are now at an age when they know what they like. Federer sounding a little more world weary but definitely like an experienced parent said dismissively "The girls DON'T like tennis". Having children can be a big reality check for anyone...

But I did enjoy the sight of the girls cheering for their father lifting the Wimbledon Trophy. I wonder if they will remember that?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 06 Oct 2012, 8:47 am

I loved it when the one of the commentators said "they have come to see where Daddy works" and what pretty little things they are

Yes you are right.. so often children chose to do the exact oposite to their parents.
In their case lets face it he is a hard act to follow.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat 06 Oct 2012, 11:17 am

Haddie-nuff wrote:I loved it when the one of the commentators said "they have come to see where Daddy works" and what pretty little things they are

Yes you are right.. so often children chose to do the exact oposite to their parents.
In their case lets face it he is a hard act to follow.
They are cute kids; one for sure couldn't be disowned by Federer.

Twin girls. Oh boy, has he got a job coming up in 10 years or so.......
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 06 Oct 2012, 11:20 am

Well he will have to buy two shotguns.

I worked for a man with twin girls.... oh wow.. he landed up with some B I G problems Shocked

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat 06 Oct 2012, 11:27 am

I don't have twins but I do have two girls, and two boys. There's no comparison between the sexes, even though both my girls are great. They just bring a load more baggage of every kind.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 06 Oct 2012, 11:51 am

Have two well grown up boys... who have caused me more problems since they were adult then they ever did as kids... but hey ho.. the joys of parenthood... next time round Im sticking to dogs lol !!!! They at least can be trained to do as they are told Wink

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sat 06 Oct 2012, 2:34 pm

I like being a kid Smile loooong way off having any!

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 06 Oct 2012, 2:56 pm

Jeremy_Kyle wrote:http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1358275-roger-federer-why-age-has-ended-his-run-as-tennis-greatest

One of the stupidest article I have ever read in my life.

These two important concepts stick in my mind:

one is: by getting older tennis players drop their performance level.

Two: since Federer is not taking part to Mubadala WTC?? he must be losing some motivation in the game. Was that intentional humour?

Federer said numerous time he would consider retirement around the age of 34/35. Why not tust him?

Most of the 70+ comments at the bottom of that worthless article support your view. When do you think Federer will retire ?? - Page 2 3610695981 The one by a poster
named Tea Noeme simply stated: “I'v rarely read such crap in my life.” When do you think Federer will retire ?? - Page 2 810156456

I do think members of a “well-mannered and tolerant” forum like this one deserve to read a superior tennis analysis by a far better informed and noted tennis writer such as JA Allen who contributed this: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1357242-comparing-roger-federers-30th-year-to-other-all-time-greats

Yes, Roger ain’t going anywhere except the final rounds of tennis tournaments. I predict he will outlast a much younger but most physical player falling apart at age 26. RF will grace the court and stay in our hearts for many years to come. king

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sat 06 Oct 2012, 3:02 pm

Welcome SR OK

How's your book going?

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat 06 Oct 2012, 3:11 pm

Obviously, with Federer being 31 we will have more and more articles like these and one day he will indeed retire.

Nevertheless, let's not forget we are writing obituaries for the current world #1 here.

I agree with IMBL's and HE's sentiments in that I both think that Roger can play pretty well for a while still (2013 YE #1 may be optimistic, but I do not think it is entirely unthinkable) as well as that I think he may stay on even after he drops somewhat.

Barring any injuries I would expect him to stay through 2016 Olympics, if not longer.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 06 Oct 2012, 3:16 pm

One has to bear in mind its not just about RF´s ability to be able and still fit to play it is that once his little girls become school age it will not be possible for them to travel the world with him. I mention this because this factor played heavily in Johnny Mac´s decision to retire. He could not spend as much time with his children as he wanted. It depends what has the most pull .. his racquet strings or his heart strings. !!

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Sat 06 Oct 2012, 3:21 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:One has to bear in mind its not just about RF´s ability to be able and still fit to play it is that once his little girls become school age it will not be possible for them to travel the world with him. I mention this because this factor played heavily in Johnny Mac´s decision to retire. He could not spend as much time with his children as he wanted. It depends what has the most pull .. his racquet strings or his heart strings. !!

I think there are schools that cater for this lifstyle now Haddie-nuff. The are designed for the offspring of celebrities so they don't come cheap but I hear he isn't short of a bob or two Whistle

This could give him the freedom to retire when he likes.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 06 Oct 2012, 3:23 pm

No but neither was or is Johnny Mac.. just a thought to bear in mind Wink

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat 06 Oct 2012, 3:24 pm

hawkeye wrote:He is not damaged by loss

This is something I very much agree with and have also been thinking for a while. Federer's less than stellar record in five set matches is sometimes (and I think rightly, at least to some extent) used to question his mental strength. However, I believe he is among the mentally strongest ones when it comes to the ability to shake off bad results and carry on.

In fact, I sometimes wonder whether the two are related to some extent. That somehow the players who mentally give their all to win the fifth set are also more spent after the matches that do not go their way whereas Federer remains less impacted.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Sat 06 Oct 2012, 3:27 pm

summerblues wrote:
hawkeye wrote:He is not damaged by loss

This is something I very much agree with and have also been thinking for a while. Federer's less than stellar record in five set matches is sometimes (and I think rightly, at least to some extent) used to question his mental strength. However, I believe he is among the mentally strongest ones when it comes to the ability to shake off bad results and carry on.

That is certainly one of his major strengths.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Sat 06 Oct 2012, 11:07 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:
time please wrote:

Im so glad you feel better getting that of your chest... and speaking of jerking strings.. !!!! I was not aware that I had to ask your permission to make a comment. but what I will do if you like is send you any comment I wish to make by pm... you can give it your approval or not as you see fit. How´s that. ??? Ive been a member of this forum for a very long time... fortunately we dont meet one another that often. It was a well mannered and tolerant thread until you arrived so draw your own conclusions.

I'm sorry if I was a little brusque with you Haddie, but although I appreciate that you are literally one of the founder members, you have been absent for some time and it begins to grate when the forum is lectured on how awful we all are - perhaps you don't realise quite how some of your comments about posters have come across?

I did take exception to the 'much to your surprise' comment because it is unfair imo - there are masses of threads that have far more interesting, polite and respectful contributions than most other forums - I see that you are appreciating that a bit more today.

So for my part, I'm sorry if I jumped down your throat but perhaps you should just try to be a little more open minded yourself sometimes - I jumped twice at you after reading loads of posts from you slating the forum, I didn't just react the first time. You might jump quickly if you feel that Rafa is being bashed - personally I don't care what opinions and comments people make about players but I hate reading hundreds of negative comments about other posters, particularly when I feel it is undeserved - we all have things that make us react.

As for your last sentence - I have responded politely and with interest to your thread on the first page - so I didn't just show up to have a moan OK

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 07 Oct 2012, 7:52 am

OK tp I am not going to be ungracious enough not to accept your apology when it is well meant though I still feel you are lecturing me somewhat unfairly
I am not sure what you mean by LOADS of posts but I will defend myself by saying that those I have made of late are concerning a particular poster (not posters) who is no more than a troll and a wum and who is allowed to spoil this forum, which is WHY i have been absent for some time (apart from illness)-
This forum I will admit is far more tolerant than it was and in part I believe that to be because most of the Nadal fans have left. You must admit the vast majority of posters are Federer fans or at least pro Federer. NOW this is the reason I was surprised that MY THREAD asking when you all thought he would retire was accepted for what it was hence "much to my surprise" because I thought it would be received with the jaundiced view that I was taking a side swipe at the man you all knew to be ..NOT exactly my favourite player.

I want to take this opportunity of saying yes I am a Nadal fan but that is not to say I do not appreciate other players. Its not to say that I cannot take criticism of the man when its fair and honest. I dont like wums that can add nothing to a discussion about tennis or the players.

So with that all said... Im glad this thread was accepted for what it was. I dont write articles very much I know. But this was intended as an honest question and I have appreciated the response. Once again thank you for your apology
OK

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun 07 Oct 2012, 7:58 am

Haddie-nuff wrote:...which is WHY i have been absent for some time (apart from illness)...

Illness? Sorry to hear that H-n. Hope you feel better.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 07 Oct 2012, 8:01 am

Thank you LF... feeling a load better now the heat has dropped to mere 27 deg.. and it has rained after a 6mths drought... not certain until I have had an ECG thanks for your concern Ok!

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun 07 Oct 2012, 8:15 am

Haddie-nuff wrote:Thank you LF... feeling a load better now the heat has dropped to mere 27 deg.. and it has rained after a 6mths drought... not certain until I have had an ECG thanks for your concern Ok!

Glad to see you back and posting again. Hug

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 07 Oct 2012, 8:26 am

Hug

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 07 Oct 2012, 9:19 am

Leave the last word with the maestro "One day at a time" !!!

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2012/10/41/Shanghai-Federer-World-No-1-Fight.aspx

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun 07 Oct 2012, 9:24 am

You must admit the vast majority of posters are Federer fans or at least pro Federer.
Headscratch ????

not sure what you expect?

Federer has more fans than Nadal in just about any forums!!

Nishikori might just have the skill in taking over from Fed Wink
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 07 Oct 2012, 9:42 am

IMBL Hug

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sun 07 Oct 2012, 9:43 am

Rafateers??

Amritia 1-0 Josiah

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sun 07 Oct 2012, 9:45 am

Haddie Nuff Bubbly

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun 07 Oct 2012, 9:46 am

It Must Be Love wrote:Rafateers??

Amritia 1-0 Josiah
the place to vent your misplaced anger problems is it??
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 07 Oct 2012, 9:47 am

As the OP of this thread my I ask that you keep on topic please this is about your idol ... not Nadal.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sun 07 Oct 2012, 9:47 am

Josiah Maiestas wrote:
It Must Be Love wrote:Rafateers??

Amritia 1-0 Josiah
the place to vent your misplaced anger problems is it??
No dear that's 606v2 Hug

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sun 07 Oct 2012, 9:53 am

Haddie-nuff wrote:As the OP of this thread my I ask that you keep on topic please this is about your idol ... not Nadal.
I am Josiahs idol Whistle

Anyway I don't think Josiah is a bad poster, he just talks nonsense 90% if the time.
All light hearted, it's not meant to be serious. His posts are actually quite funny when you realise that they're not actually meant to be a reflection on reality.
Also to be fair, he also talks nonsense about Fed too, I think in the Olympics semi he said Fed had the tactical brain of a cat or something.

So don't take it seriously, Josiah isn't a troll as such, there are far far worse posters than him.
I know it sounds weird but once I realised his posts weren't meant to be serious observations (it took around 3-4 posts) I actually enjoyed his random ramblingz Smile

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 07 Oct 2012, 10:02 am

Maybe your right but he sure knows how to kill a thread.
As I used to say to my son when he was younger "mouth on fast forward brain on rewind"
One day he may well wish to be taken seriously... Erm

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun 07 Oct 2012, 10:19 am

Haddie-nuff wrote:Maybe your right but he sure knows how to kill a thread.
As I used to say to my son when he was younger "mouth on fast forward brain on rewind"
One day he may well wish to be taken seriously... Erm
One day you will admit that if Rafa played Federer on fast conditions the head 2 head would be a complete reverse!! laughing
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sun 07 Oct 2012, 10:26 am

Throughout the last 5 years the only court, for me, -that has stayed fast- is Dubai.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sun 07 Oct 2012, 10:28 am

I don't think Federer and Nadal have ever played in Dubai though unfortunately Sad

What do you think Josiah

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 07 Oct 2012, 10:31 am

Not knowing much about the individual courts but am I wrong in thinking the AO is a pretty fast court.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun 07 Oct 2012, 10:31 am

Federers lost over 10 matches on slow pushy clay to one player which really wraps this conversation up!!
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 07 Oct 2012, 10:33 am

Josiah Maiestas wrote:Federers lost over 10 matches on slow pushy clay to one player which really wraps this conversation up!!

Good now the rest of us can hold a decent discussion.. what is your opinion IMBL ???

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sun 07 Oct 2012, 10:37 am

Josiah Maiestas wrote:Federers lost over 10 matches on slow pushy clay to one player which really wraps this conversation up!!
Ground-breaking analysis clap

Not only over 10 times on clay, also 4-2 up on outdoor HC, and has won 8/10 matches in Grand Slams Sad

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 07 Oct 2012, 10:51 am

:clap IMBL Nice to hear from someone who knows what they are talking about Bubbly

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun 07 Oct 2012, 10:57 am

Oh here we go, the usual clay is a weaker surface rubbish. Perhaps JM wants us all to go back to the days of ubiquitous grass courts and long trousers. Just when we want more variety JM thinks it would be better to invalidate the slower surfaces. Does JM wonder why Murray went to learn at Barcelona, or why Federer was brought up on "slow pushy" clay?
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next