The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Old 606

+27
Bob_the_Job
SmithersJones
SpacemanSpiff
Doon the Water
Be_the_ball
oldshanker
John Cregan
Roller_Coaster
gaelgowfer
goldwolf
barragan
Tony B Liar
mystiroakey
super_realist
I'm never wrong
1GrumpyGolfer
navyblueshorts
HiGun
ralphjohn69
Shotrock
kwinigolfer
Skydriver
JAS
dynamark
McLaren
Diggers
incontinentia
31 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Old 606 - Page 5 Empty Old 606

Post by incontinentia Fri 05 Oct 2012, 9:24 am

First topic message reminder :

I first discovered 606 golf on the BBC site in 2008, probably years after most of you. As a place for sporting banter twas hard to beat. There were some memorable posters: 150tothepin, GJ the aussie stud, tigerwoodswannabe, kirkygolfer and subpar to name but a few. And some awesome discussions too.

Have any of these guys shown up around here?

Care to reminisce about the good old days?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Old 606 - Page 5 Empty Re: Old 606

Post by JeffCarnage Thu 25 Oct 2012, 10:13 am

Hi everyone. Jeff here.

I must say, reading this did bring back some fine memories. It's certainly been a while! I just had to sign up.

I was staying with a friend this week, of whom many of you will be familiar with (who may well join this board too). We got onto the discussion of the BBC golf message board. A simple Google search brought up this rather good message board, with some familiar names! And what's more, there was an ongoing discussion about the old BBC boards! What a coincidence!

After further Googling we found what I would consider a 'classic' thread of discussion..... Sir Edward of Yeoh. His rounds of 106 and 100 at Stoke-By-Nayland are stuff of legend.

So, after even more searching for old BBC Golf threads, I stumbled across 'Bertie's unofficial Open drinking game 2006', that was linked on Iain Carter's 2006 Open preview article on the BBC Sport website. (The funny thing is, Bertie criticises Iain in the drinking game!). Fantastic reading, and well worth a re-post on here at some point.

After finding the drinking game, I have managed to track down ALL of the old BBC golf posts. I must say, I haven't laughed as much in years. I was crying this morning whilst wading through hundreds upon hundreds of ridiculous threads. elvis

A couple of things stood out:

1) People involved in Golf discussion are generally very nice people.
2) We made some outrageous, bold, courageous predictions about the future of Golf.

I have started to pull together some of those predictions and I'll start new thread wth them on it. Some predictions are fantastic, some not so good.

It's great to meet some of the regular posters on here. I'm really keen to get back involved. A 6 year hiatus from message boards is too long!

Cheers,

Jeff

p.s. 'Jeff allegedly had his clubs nicked'. Allegedly?? There's nothing alleged about it! I stil lose sleep over my Titleist 990 (s300 shaft) 1 iron being in someone else's hands. Doh

JeffCarnage

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 25 Oct 2012, 10:41 am

Welcome Jeff, great post and thanks for bringing us back on topic. I'm really happy that this thread seems to be achieving something positive by coaxing old or exiled posters back into the fold. It would be even better if some of the rifts of the past could be resolved, where possible, and some members who have left due to these differences would consider returning.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Thu 25 Oct 2012, 10:45 am

Jeff - welcome. Were do you play in Edinburgh?

I've got a titleist 990 1 iron in near perfect condition, which never gets used and i picked up in Dundee to match my old set of 990s. It did have a R300 shaft which i got switched to an s300, but never felt right for me - you're welcome to it if you're interested ... at the right price of course thumbsup

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by JeffCarnage Thu 25 Oct 2012, 10:51 am

incontinentia wrote:Welcome Jeff, great post and thanks for bringing us back on topic. I'm really happy that this thread seems to be achieving something positive by coaxing old or exiled posters back into the fold. It would be even better if some of the rifts of the past could be resolved, where possible, and some members who have left due to these differences would consider returning.

Thanks Incontinentia. Great to meet you. I struggle to believe people have rifts on an online message board. Hilarious!! I can imagine who it was though!

JeffCarnage

Back to top Go down

Post by JeffCarnage Thu 25 Oct 2012, 10:53 am

barragan wrote:Jeff - welcome. Were do you play in Edinburgh?

I've got a titleist 990 1 iron in near perfect condition, which never gets used and i picked up in Dundee to match my old set of 990s. It did have a R300 shaft which i got switched to an s300, but never felt right for me - you're welcome to it if you're interested ... at the right price of course thumbsup

Hi Barragan. I'm not a member anywhere at the moment. I rely purely on invites (hint hint! Only kidding). I still get back to St Andrews every now and then for a game. I like to head down to Gullane and play there too.

You realise you're now prime suspect for being the person who nicked my clubs??! Surely Titleist didn't make more than one of those 1 irons??

JeffCarnage

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Thu 25 Oct 2012, 10:59 am

I'm a member at Duddingston. Keep on thinking about organising a 606 invitational but time just seems to run away. Drop me a pm if you fancy a game and I'll bring that 1 iron along for you to inspect.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by SpacemanSpiff Thu 25 Oct 2012, 11:03 am

JeffCarnage wrote:Hi everyone. Jeff here.

I must say, reading this did bring back some fine memories. It's certainly been a while! I just had to sign up.

I was staying with a friend this week, of whom many of you will be familiar with (who may well join this board too). We got onto the discussion of the BBC golf message board. A simple Google search brought up this rather good message board, with some familiar names! And what's more, there was an ongoing discussion about the old BBC boards! What a coincidence!

After further Googling we found what I would consider a 'classic' thread of discussion..... Sir Edward of Yeoh. His rounds of 106 and 100 at Stoke-By-Nayland are stuff of legend.

So, after even more searching for old BBC Golf threads, I stumbled across 'Bertie's unofficial Open drinking game 2006', that was linked on Iain Carter's 2006 Open preview article on the BBC Sport website. (The funny thing is, Bertie criticises Iain in the drinking game!). Fantastic reading, and well worth a re-post on here at some point.

After finding the drinking game, I have managed to track down ALL of the old BBC golf posts. I must say, I haven't laughed as much in years. I was crying this morning whilst wading through hundreds upon hundreds of ridiculous threads. elvis

A couple of things stood out:

1) People involved in Golf discussion are generally very nice people.
2) We made some outrageous, bold, courageous predictions about the future of Golf.

I have started to pull together some of those predictions and I'll start new thread wth them on it. Some predictions are fantastic, some not so good.

It's great to meet some of the regular posters on here. I'm really keen to get back involved. A 6 year hiatus from message boards is too long!

Cheers,

Jeff

p.s. 'Jeff allegedly had his clubs nicked'. Allegedly?? There's nothing alleged about it! I stil lose sleep over my Titleist 990 (s300 shaft) 1 iron being in someone else's hands. Doh

Welcome Jeff, old blood most welcome!

I was a reader more than poster of the old boards, but I certainly remember yourself, Bertie Beef, Dr Chuck and Boanerges, Spanish Nick among others. Did you ever meet the good doctor after your clubs were nicked?

SpacemanSpiff

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 25 Oct 2012, 11:20 am

It would be great to have some of the infamous old 606 posters return. As a relative newbie to the 606 golf scene it seems I missed out on some great times back in the days of the 5 live board.

Also, it seems edinburgh provides a disproportionate amount of the posters on this site. We must love talking golf, or is it that there is nothing better to do?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JeffCarnage Thu 25 Oct 2012, 11:27 am

barragan wrote:I'm a member at Duddingston. Keep on thinking about organising a 606 invitational but time just seems to run away. Drop me a pm if you fancy a game and I'll bring that 1 iron along for you to inspect.

Ah very good. I live in Leith, so not far away at all. I'm getting excited about striking the 1 iron already! Yahoo

JeffCarnage

Back to top Go down

Post by JeffCarnage Thu 25 Oct 2012, 11:28 am

Spaceman Spiff - I didn't meet him in the end. He disappeared off the face of the Earth! He was a very funny guy, and it was sod's law that my clubs got nicked the morning I was due to play golf with him and Vince Brutal!

JeffCarnage

Back to top Go down

Post by JeffCarnage Thu 25 Oct 2012, 11:29 am

McLaren wrote:It would be great to have some of the infamous old 606 posters return. As a relative newbie to the 606 golf scene it seems I missed out on some great times back in the days of the 5 live board.

Also, it seems edinburgh provides a disproportionate amount of the posters on this site. We must love talking golf, or is it that there is nothing better to do?

I didn't realise Edinburgh heavily featured here. I guess it's because there's nothing else to do! I'll try and persuade some of the old boys to return. They're great value for money!

JeffCarnage

Back to top Go down

Post by SpacemanSpiff Thu 25 Oct 2012, 11:30 am

JeffCarnage wrote:Spaceman Spiff - I didn't meet him in the end. He disappeared off the face of the Earth! He was a very funny guy, and it was sod's law that my clubs got nicked the morning I was due to play golf with him and Vince Brutal!

Vince Brutal! Remember him too! I guess Dr Chuck did a Lucan. Funny guy though.

SpacemanSpiff

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 25 Oct 2012, 11:32 am

Yeah, there are at least 5/6 of us on here jeff. I take a fair bit of stick for taking my clubs on the bus to play the braids, so you may have seen me around town already.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JeffCarnage Thu 25 Oct 2012, 11:34 am

McLaren wrote:Yeah, there are at least 5/6 of us on here jeff. I take a fair bit of stick for taking my clubs on the bus to play the braids, so you may have seen me around town already.

There's nothing wrong with that!

JeffCarnage

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 25 Oct 2012, 11:37 am

JeffCarnage wrote:
McLaren wrote:It would be great to have some of the infamous old 606 posters return. As a relative newbie to the 606 golf scene it seems I missed out on some great times back in the days of the 5 live board.

I didn't realise Edinburgh heavily featured here. I guess it's because there's nothing else to do! I'll try and persuade some of the old boys to return. They're great value for money!

That should keep the mods busy Whistle Welcome back Jeff. Is Boa still alive and well and mad ?

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Thu 25 Oct 2012, 11:37 am

I'm working down in Leith most days at the moment. Love the lack of parking restrictions!

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by JeffCarnage Thu 25 Oct 2012, 11:40 am

Diggers wrote:
JeffCarnage wrote:

That should keep the mods busy Whistle Welcome back Jeff. Is Boa still alive and well and mad ?

Hi Diggers!

I was reading through some of the old threads this morning. Some outrageous material in there!! 'Hottest golf bird' was one topic! The contents was so funny. However, in light of the BBC's latest scandal it seems pretty tame.

I'm not in touch with Boa (surprisingly enough). Still see 3 of the other lads though.

JeffCarnage

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Thu 25 Oct 2012, 11:40 am

Hello Jeffers hope all is well.I recall a couple of your threads when youd been out on the lash with Sam Torrance and a couple of the aussies.Good stuff.
Do you still do the band?

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 25 Oct 2012, 11:41 am

JeffCarnage wrote:
Diggers wrote:
JeffCarnage wrote:

Hi Diggers!

I was reading through some of the old threads this morning. Some outrageous material in there!! 'Hottest golf bird' was one topic! The contents was so funny. However, in light of the BBC's latest scandal it seems pretty tame.

I'm not in touch with Boa (surprisingly enough). Still see 3 of the other lads though.

There were some brilliant threads, surreal but very very funny. Happy days.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by JeffCarnage Thu 25 Oct 2012, 11:44 am

dynamark wrote:Hello Jeffers hope all is well.I recall a couple of your threads when youd been out on the lash with Sam Torrance and a couple of the aussies.Good stuff.
Do you still do the band?

Yes, good memory Dyna! How's it going?

Torrance is a funny character. Very hit and miss!

I have given up the singing at the moment (apart from the odd wedding here and there). I've now got what loosely resembles a career, so it's hard to juggle all that stuff!

JeffCarnage

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Thu 25 Oct 2012, 12:37 pm

Good thanks-trying to retire and play plenty golf but not quite there yet.
Got the divorce done and dusted.
Hope you can keep dropping in some good guys on here

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by JeffCarnage Thu 25 Oct 2012, 12:39 pm

dynamark wrote:Good thanks-trying to retire and play plenty golf but not quite there yet.
Got the divorce done and dusted.
Hope you can keep dropping in some good guys on here

Good stuff. I got married in May this year, so it's been a hectic one!

There's definitely going to be a big name returning in the next few days. Sorry

JeffCarnage

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Thu 25 Oct 2012, 12:54 pm

Blimey Carnage, what a lovely surprise. I used to post under "Howitzer" (the name of a much trusted old sand wedge, in case anyone's wondering).

I was hoping you might be able to solve the mystery of what happened to Dr. Chuck but alas ...

I still have the link to the old five live board and when I click on it, up comes one of Spanish Nick's jokes.

Congrats on your wedding btw.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Thu 25 Oct 2012, 1:02 pm

Carnage you are a jinx -I just got made redundant!
15 years though so few bob to come

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by JeffCarnage Thu 25 Oct 2012, 1:07 pm

gaelgowfer wrote:Blimey Carnage, what a lovely surprise. I used to post under "Howitzer" (the name of a much trusted old sand wedge, in case anyone's wondering).

I was hoping you might be able to solve the mystery of what happened to Dr. Chuck but alas ...

I still have the link to the old five live board and when I click on it, up comes one of Spanish Nick's jokes.

Don't worry Howi, I knew it was you! Hope all is well. I used to enjoy your posts. I still don't know where you play your golf though!!!

I found Dr Chuck on Linkedin. He's alive and well. I didn't contact him though. That would be a bit odd.

Thanks. We got married out near Dunbar (Dunglass Estate?) Don't know if you're familiar with it?

Jeff

JeffCarnage

Back to top Go down

Post by JeffCarnage Thu 25 Oct 2012, 1:08 pm

dynamark wrote:Carnage you are a jinx -I just got made redundant!
15 years though so few bob to come

When? Just a minute ago? Sorry to hear it.

JeffCarnage

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Thu 25 Oct 2012, 1:18 pm

Thats it then retired as of tomorrow! Company in liquidation.
Keeping the car and phone for the time being,possibly few days here and there for the new business.Thick end of 6 months money to come from redundancy payments.Got to look on the bright side.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by JeffCarnage Thu 25 Oct 2012, 1:21 pm

dynamark wrote:Thats it then retired as of tomorrow! Company in liquidation.
Keeping the car and phone for the time being,possibly few days here and there for the new business.Thick end of 6 months money to come from redundancy payments.Got to look on the bright side.

Wow. That's not good. Hope all turns out well Dyna.

JeffCarnage

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Thu 25 Oct 2012, 1:44 pm

That's bad news Dyna, hope all works out.

Silver lining of more golf while things settle down/sort themselves out?

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 25 Oct 2012, 2:01 pm

Terrible news dyna, in my experience there is no bright side - ten years later I can look back and see that I managed every step of redundancy the wrong way.
Good luck, lousy situation to be in; golf not much consolation. thumbsup

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 25 Oct 2012, 2:06 pm

dynamark wrote:Thats it then retired as of tomorrow! Company in liquidation.

Bad luck fella. Same thing happened to Mrs D last week, though not through liquidation, supposedly voluntary but not from her point of view. Still very nice pay off so onwards and upwards.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Thu 25 Oct 2012, 2:06 pm

TBH its been on the cards for a good while which is why Ive sat it out here.
Got to claim the notice and redundancy money back from the revenue as the business is not in a position to pay.
I genuinely fancy doing something completely different though now.Not enjoyed the last couple of years so the decision has been made for me.
Probably will not be posting so much though

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Thu 25 Oct 2012, 2:07 pm

Thanks Guys.Seems a bit odd sitting the afternoon out.
Best get some Cvs printed

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 25 Oct 2012, 2:07 pm

[quote="JeffCarnage"]
dynamark wrote:

Baron Squeebo von Squeebenstein is a big name. Is it him ?

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by SpacemanSpiff Thu 25 Oct 2012, 2:08 pm

Good luck Dyna, I think you'll be just fine judging by your attitude going forward. OK

SpacemanSpiff

Back to top Go down

Post by JeffCarnage Thu 25 Oct 2012, 2:10 pm

[quote="Diggers"]
JeffCarnage wrote:
dynamark wrote:

Baron Squeebo von Squeebenstein is a big name. Is it him ?

It isn't him. But we do miss his pictures he used to post!

JeffCarnage

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Thu 25 Oct 2012, 2:16 pm

JeffCarnage wrote:
gaelgowfer wrote:Blimey Carnage, what a lovely surprise. I used to post under "Howitzer" (the name of a much trusted old sand wedge, in case anyone's wondering).

Don't worry Howi, I knew it was you! Hope all is well. I used to enjoy your posts. I still don't know where you play your golf though!!!

I found Dr Chuck on Linkedin. He's alive and well. I didn't contact him though. That would be a bit odd.

Thanks. We got married out near Dunbar (Dunglass Estate?) Don't know if you're familiar with it?

Jeff

I had heard of Dunglass Estate but in name only. Needless to say, I've had a right good nosey. Lovely setting and fantastic alternative to just booking an hotel. I expect the gardens would have been at their best then too.

Incidentally, I play at Nairn. Can you blame me for wanting to keep that to myself? Smile

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Thu 25 Oct 2012, 2:23 pm

Sorry to hear your news dyna. At least you should have a wee bit of a cushion till something turns up. All the best. OK

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 25 Oct 2012, 2:26 pm

Hang on a sec, we start a thread with all the old names and information from the past and information as to what happened and suddenly Jeff pops back on the board after a 6 year sabbatical !
Is Jeff actually Fader/Mavericks latest incarnation...and was he in the book depository.....

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Thu 25 Oct 2012, 2:36 pm

I remember a thread where Jeff ended up in a compromising situation with his boss after a company night out ,much guilt and wrangling.Is she the new Mrs C?

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by BertieBeef Thu 25 Oct 2012, 11:53 pm

Tony B Ale
Dyna Ale
I'm_never_wrong Ale
Diggers Ale
Howi Ale

Good to see you all, as well as others who I've probably forgotten.

As for Jeff Carnage - what a massive plum! A complete non-character.

I've been serving a 4-stretch in Belmarsh and without internet access (did have a PS3 and my own carsey, mind). So a few things I'd appreciate a catch-up on:

• How many majors have Monty, Donald, Casey and Westwood won?
  • Will Ryan Moore make it to a dozen major wins this year or, has his career stalled to such an extent that he'll only do it in 2013?
  • When are they bringing back Jim'll Fix It?

BertieBeef

Back to top Go down

Post by BertieBeef Fri 26 Oct 2012, 12:16 am

Boa mistaking Jodie Mudd for Jodie Kidd:

www .bbc. co. uk/dna/mbfivelive/F2148569?thread=1822896&skip=50&show=50

(Remove the spaces in the first bit of the address)

BertieBeef

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Fri 26 Oct 2012, 9:29 am

BertieBeef wrote:Tony B Ale
Dyna Ale
I'm_never_wrong Ale
Diggers Ale
Howi Ale

Good to see you all, as well as others who I've probably forgotten.

As for Jeff Carnage - what a massive plum! A complete non-character.

I've been serving a 4-stretch in Belmarsh and without internet access (did have a PS3 and my own carsey, mind). So a few things I'd appreciate a catch-up on:

• How many majors have Monty, Donald, Casey and Westwood won?
  • Will Ryan Moore make it to a dozen major wins this year or, has his career stalled to such an extent that he'll only do it in 2013?
  • When are they bringing back Jim'll Fix It?

Aye ... always knew you were a rum'un. Wink

Excellent Bertie. OK Now, had that been super-realist who'd made such a claim ... Whistle

And ... welcome back. Bubbly

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by JeffCarnage Fri 26 Oct 2012, 10:43 am

dynamark wrote:I remember a thread where Jeff ended up in a compromising situation with his boss after a company night out ,much guilt and wrangling.Is she the new Mrs C?

ummm, no.

JeffCarnage

Back to top Go down

Post by JeffCarnage Fri 26 Oct 2012, 10:44 am

Diggers wrote:Hang on a sec, we start a thread with all the old names and information from the past and information as to what happened and suddenly Jeff pops back on the board after a 6 year sabbatical !
Is Jeff actually Fader/Mavericks latest incarnation...and was he in the book depository.....

I understand your scepticism Diggers, but it is I, Carnage. thumbsup

JeffCarnage

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 26 Oct 2012, 10:50 am

JeffCarnage wrote:
Diggers wrote:Hang on a sec, we start a thread with all the old names and information from the past and information as to what happened and suddenly Jeff pops back on the board after a 6 year sabbatical !

I understand your scepticism Diggers, but it is I, Carnage. thumbsup

I know mate and Im very pleased to see you back, in fact double bubble with you and Bertie back on the board, welcome back BB.
Surely only a matter of time before someone suggests a golf board get together ?

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Fri 26 Oct 2012, 12:23 pm

How about Royal Ashdown Forest handy for diggers,500 miles for Jeff.
Big welcome to the Beefmeister one of the funniest men on the net.
Still think about the drinking game every masters and wayne gradys big white trainers(its true).I hope you guys havent grown up too much.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Mon 29 Oct 2012, 12:11 pm

Morning redundancy update.Came in friday to collect final months cheque to be greeted with'any chance you could come in Monday and Tuesday next week'.
Invoicing direct as a 'consultant' so 2/3 days a week will be fine.Couple of bits of work offered over the weekend as well so no great disaster.
Bonus is Im now golfing wednesday and thursday this week.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by haystongolfer Tue 30 Oct 2012, 9:39 pm

I have came back as I was off for a while I never said anything useful anyway but I liked the banter. LJ had me in stitches whilst being terrified (strange feeling) but he WAS funny and he could wind folk uo nae bother (including me). Anybody hear of Kirkie Golfer who was a bud of mine?

haystongolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 30 Oct 2012, 9:55 pm

Yes I remember kirkygolfer hayston, wasnt he the guy working hard to get his handicap down, was he a fireman aswell?? Wow i'm such a loser to be able to remember that!
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum