The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scarlets v Dragons - The Kick..

5 posters

Go down

Do you think the kick went over...

Scarlets v Dragons - The Kick.. Vote_lcap47%Scarlets v Dragons - The Kick.. Vote_rcap 47% 
[ 7 ]
Scarlets v Dragons - The Kick.. Vote_lcap27%Scarlets v Dragons - The Kick.. Vote_rcap 27% 
[ 4 ]
Scarlets v Dragons - The Kick.. Vote_lcap26%Scarlets v Dragons - The Kick.. Vote_rcap 26% 
[ 4 ]

Total Votes : 15

Scarlets v Dragons - The Kick.. Empty Scarlets v Dragons - The Kick..

Post by sirBiggles Mon 08 Oct 2012, 1:25 pm

I'm lost with words.

How come last night on Scrum V, even with the technology they have to hand, do they still insist on saying the kick went through. A few points ...

1. If you freeze the picture at the point the ball goes past the post, you can clearly see the whole ball. Ok, it is slightly opaque, but that is down to the speed of the ball, against the frame rate of the camera. The key thing is, unless they have transparent posts at Y Parc Scarlets, this view would not be possible.

2. Draw a line from where the ball was kicked to where it lands and assuming...

a) The ball travelled unimpeded, they only way it could land where it did, would be by missing the post.
b) If the ball was impeded by the wind. If it went through the posts it would land further in field. Hence to land where it did it didn't go through the posts.
c) Assume it hit the post. If the ball went through, again it would have landed further in field. If it hit the post, no matter how slight, to land where it did, it would have had to be outside the post.

The key point for me though, is without all the trigonometry, freeze the frame and you can see the ball is outside the post, hence no penalty. Why didn't the BBC do this on Scrum V, I'm sure the video ref did, hence he made the right call on the kick. Not sure he made the correct call on the try though, we only saw one angle on that, and to me, I don't reckon it was grounded, and if it was, not sure it was done before he slid out of play.

Mind you, suppose the Scrum V director had to keep some controversy going after yet another appalling display from the Welsh regions.

sirBiggles

Back to top Go down

Scarlets v Dragons - The Kick.. Empty Re: Scarlets v Dragons - The Kick..

Post by jeff stones dad Mon 08 Oct 2012, 1:26 pm

My mate at work was at the game and he is positive that the kick went over as did the majority of spectators sitting around him. The ref, linesmen and TMO got this one wrong.

jeff stones dad

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorRoadWorks Mon 08 Oct 2012, 1:33 pm

Maths, Science and Technology 0
My mate at work was at the game 1

Erm

I agree with Biggles... I have re-run it a few times and paused the play, and the ball can be seen. Hence it could not have gone through the posts.

MajorRoadWorks

Back to top Go down

Post by jeff stones dad Mon 08 Oct 2012, 1:37 pm

On scrum V yesterday it clearly showed the ball landed between the try line and dead ball line. If the ball hit both posts how on earth could it land there? It belies the laws of Physics!!!!

jeff stones dad

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorRoadWorks Mon 08 Oct 2012, 1:43 pm

I'm not a physicist, but I have paused the frame and as Biggles say, you can see ALL the ball.... explain that.

MajorRoadWorks

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 08 Oct 2012, 1:45 pm

Not sure how the ball could have landed where it did, if it did not travel behind the left post. Was stood in the terracing, had a perfect view of it, the ball bounced off the right post and went through behind the left.

Back to top Go down

Post by jeff stones dad Mon 08 Oct 2012, 1:54 pm

What you see is an imperfect freeze framed photograph. As sir Biggles said its to do with the speed of the ball and the freeze frame rate of the camera.

And as far as my mate is concerned - he is an ardent Scarlets supporter with no axe to grind.

By the way I'm glad the Scarlets won. West is Best.

jeff stones dad

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 09 Oct 2012, 9:33 am

jeff stones dad wrote:My mate at work was at the game and he is positive that the kick went over as did the majority of spectators sitting around him. The ref, linesmen and TMO got this one wrong.

My old man was at the match (i should have been but wasn't sob) and he said that there was no arguing it missed, and that the general concensus around where he was (south stand) was it was a cracking try.

From the replays I have seen I would agree with Biggles (which may be a first), and say the replay seemed to shoow the whole ball, so it had to have been a missed kick. That said the ball did appear slightly blurred, but no blocked out.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by jeff stones dad Tue 09 Oct 2012, 9:43 am

Mate was in the North Stand.

All history now!

jeff stones dad

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 09 Oct 2012, 9:49 am

I was saying to a bloke at work it did seem to be a case of where you were sitting to if it was a try or not, and on the replay it was too hard to tell either way.

In the end of the day the result was pretty secure either way, whether it was just 3pts or the full 7pts.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 09 Oct 2012, 10:38 am

But SS, that's quite a difference in conditions we had last Friday. The Scarlets had been dominant in the first half, but the players would have felt differently if they'd gone in at half time only 12 - 3 up. And the Dragons would have been leading 13 - 12 with 15 minutes to go.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 09 Oct 2012, 10:46 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:But SS, that's quite a difference in conditions we had last Friday. The Scarlets had been dominant in the first half, but the players would have felt differently if they'd gone in at half time only 12 - 3 up. And the Dragons would have been leading 13 - 12 with 15 minutes to go.

YEah i see your point, but I am not too sure it would have made a great difference. Also going in 12-3 may have made the Scarlets focus more and not allow some of the opertunities to die. I don't know, and I guess we never will.

It is a shame that there have been a few questionable decisions over the past few weeks (Stowers V Fenby, The Ulster Injured Offside, Maule's try).
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 09 Oct 2012, 10:57 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:I am not too sure it would have made a great difference.

Well it would have given us a losing bonus point. That's quite a difference.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down