The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should we have a Nevin Spence Memorial Trophy?

+2
red_stag
Kingshu
6 posters

Go down

Should we have a Nevin Spence Memorial Trophy? Empty Should we have a Nevin Spence Memorial Trophy?

Post by Kingshu Tue 09 Oct 2012, 12:19 pm

Would it be a fitting tribute to mint a new cup for the Pro 12 winners as the Nevin Spence Memorial Trophy?
Or keeping the Pro 12 trophy, award the team that tops the table after the regular season with a specialically commissioned Nevin Spence Memorial Trophy?

If the Celtic league don't wish s league topper truphy, and wish to keep the Trophy name free for sponsorship reasons, should it be looked at as a Cup between Ulster and Munster each year?

Thoughts?
Should we have a Nevin Spence Memorial Trophy, and if so where?

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Should we have a Nevin Spence Memorial Trophy? Empty Re: Should we have a Nevin Spence Memorial Trophy?

Post by red_stag Tue 09 Oct 2012, 12:27 pm

Kingshu wrote:Would it be a fitting tribute to mint a new cup for the Pro 12 winners as the Nevin Spence Memorial Trophy?

As tragic as his passing was I dont think this is really appropriate for the league trophy to be named after a player. I think sometimes people can go overboard in trying to show some solidarity. I has seen suggestions for Ulster to retire the #13 shirt which I find equally inappropriate.

I saw a suggestion that the Munster 'A' v Ulster Ravens might have a cup between them as it was his last match and that there may be a stand named for him in the revamped Ravenhill. I think that these would be good ways of keeping his memory hallowed.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Should we have a Nevin Spence Memorial Trophy? Empty Re: Should we have a Nevin Spence Memorial Trophy?

Post by rodders Tue 09 Oct 2012, 12:33 pm

I think it should be left for the club and family to decide what is most appropriate. I'll support whatever they decide.

Given the way this tragedy has been handled by Ulster and the wider rugby fraternity so far I have full confidence that they will come up with a fitting tribute.

I'd rather not say anymore on this because this is such a sensitive topic.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Tue 09 Oct 2012, 12:40 pm

rodders wrote:I think it should be left for the club and family to decide what is most appropriate. I'll support whatever they decide.

Given the way this tragedy has been handled by Ulster and the wider rugby fraternity so far I have full confidence that they will come up with a fitting tribute.

I'd rather not say anymore on this because this is such a sensitive topic.

+1 and appropriate.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 09 Oct 2012, 2:52 pm

I like the tribute Ulster have made of having his initials embroidered on every match jersey until the end of the season, i think it is the most appropriate response.

I don't think there will be any further formal tributes. The players at Ulster have gone through a difficult time, grieving for a friend, and now they carry his memory with them every time they take the pitch.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Tue 09 Oct 2012, 2:55 pm

They should have friendly match next summer and donate the gate money to promote safety in the work place. Something like that.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Tue 09 Oct 2012, 3:01 pm

Thanks Notch, some are prob thinking its a bit soon but the Cormac McAnallen Cup (international rules trophy) was named and played for in his honour about 5 months after his passing.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 09 Oct 2012, 3:06 pm

Thats a good idea profitius.

Yeah, ultimately I have to agree with rodders. It should be a call made by the family and Ulster Rugby in that order.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down