The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jeff Hardy - Redemption?

5 posters

Go down

Jeff Hardy - Redemption? Empty Jeff Hardy - Redemption?

Post by Hero Thu 11 Oct 2012, 2:24 pm

This is by Adam & Kayfabe (Adam just asked me to post it)

August 25th 2009 - A date forever etched in Jeff Hardy's memory, the date he wrestled his final match for World Wrestling Entertainment.

In that match he'd main event the show in a Steel Cage match for the WWE World Title in a losing effort to CM Punk.

Jeff arrived in the WWE in 1999 with his brother Matt, and they joined a young and exciting tag team division as the Hardy Boyz. Their success was instant with some fans, and the popularity grew and grew with every match.

Fast forward to 2002 - after his tag-team heyday had been and gone, Jeff was given the chance to prove himself on the main event scene. Always portrayed as a vulnerable character happy to risk his body for his shot at success, or even in the name of entertainment, he continued to connect with the WWE universe. Unfortunately, that recklessness would follow him in his personal life too. The high life was too enticing, and a party lifestyle, whilst making him a ‘one of us’ figure with the fans, it became a problem professionally.

By 2003 Vince McMahon had had enough. Whilst it was a time of far slacker discipline, the bad publicity could not be ignored when Jeff’s professional standards dropped too. Jeff’s out of hours antics seemingly caused him to no-show events, possibly the biggest no-no in McMahon-land. With an abundance of talent on offer, the company felt no need to carry Jeffrey Nero Hardy.

Jeff continued his no show habits in his first period with TNA, a three year run that could have been memorable for all the right reasons, but seemed to confirm he preferred to live with the wrong ones.

When his contract ended he returned to the WWE, and the landscape had changed dramatically, colleagues he had surpassed years before were now main eventers, and the chance was there to reach the top. Big wins over Shawn Michaels, Umaga and John Morrison brought momentum, but a year and a half after his return, a clean win over Triple H at Armageddon 2007 really fired Jeff back into the big time. His chance at WWE gold appeared to once again pass him, as a returning Cena was brought back from injury to resume a feud with then champion Randy Orton.

However, at Wrestlemania XXIV he qualified for the Money in the Bank match, and was heavy favourite to take the win before claiming his first world title. But his lifestyle and consistent recklessness cost him again. His own worst enemy as ever, as he failed a wellness test 7 days before the biggest night of his career to date.

He was back in contention for the Title at Armageddon 2008, a year after beating Triple H clean. This was the match where WWE finally pulled the trigger on him. Jeff Hardy won the WWE Title on this night beating Triple H and Edge in a triple threat match.

This only told half the story though.

Whilst his fans thought he had smashed through the glass ceiling, for one reason or another he barely appeared on WWE TV and didn't wrestle throughout his first tenure. In fact, he lost on his first defence at Royal Rumble, cost by a heel turn from brother Matt. A feud with his brother ensued, which in turn led to a feud with long time rival Edge for the World Heavyweight Title.

He eventually claimed it at Extreme Rules, only for CM Punk to cash in his Money in the Bank contract and ruin the moment. A back and forth feud followed, with Hardy eventually claiming the belt two PPVs later, only then to decide he needed a break.

Uninterested in signing another long term contract immediately, WWE chose to wait for Jeff, wellness violations aside. This leads us back to August 25th 2009, his last match with the WWE. Jeff reached the summit and decided to take a break, and since that moment, many think that this was the pinnacle and end of Jeffs career.

But then came another shot with TNA.

January 4th 2010 was a big night for both TNA and Jeff Hardy. It marked the first ever live Impact show, as well as the debut of the returning Hardy.
Although it was revealed that Jeff had signed a new contract, his appearances were few and far between in the first few months into his return. In fact, the first few months of Hardys return to TNA were light years away from the profile he had held only a few months before in WWE.

Hardy began to move up the card quite quickly before entering a 8 man tournament in August, which was to culminate at Bound For Glory. The undoubted highlight of this tournament was the semi final match with Angle which led to a 3 way main event at the TNA showcase PPV. Now this article started with the premise of whether Jeff would ever again reach the heights of popularity of August 2009. Surely, winning the TNA world Heavyweight Championship at Bound For Glory (which lets not forget is TNAs
Wrestlemania) would suggest yes.

Sadly not.

This first title run, which had Jeff as a dark, moody heel champion was interesting but possibly for the wrong reasons. The main thing that came out of this run was that Jeff wasnt a particularly convincing heel. Well certainly not one that could connect with the crowd. In fact the most memorable thing about this first run, was a connection - namely the connection of a chair to Andersons head, which led to stitches and a concussion. Was this a sign that once again, Jeff was struggling with his personal demons?

If there was any doubt over Jeffs problems, he finally revealed every single demon at Victory Road. Having lost and eventually regained the title on his way to the infamous match with Sting, Jeff hit his rock bottom. That match was Hardys trough to the peak of 2009. This was the end of Hardy as we knew him.

"One more shot"

Jeff Hardy disappeared from wrestling following the Victory Road debacle and pretty much became a forgotten champion of yesteryear. However, TNA knew exactly what they had in Hardy - a main eventer who could connect with a crowd under the right circumstances.

In August 2011, Jeff returned to the promotion and asked for "one more shot".

Over the years, wrestling promotions have consistently blurred the lines of real and scripted stories. However, "one more shot" was something that was as honest that you can get in wrestling. Hardy really was in the last chance saloon. The Jeff Hardy who made this request, was a man staring into the [wrestling] abyss.

And this is the Hardy that fans want.

In asking for redemption, Hardy has finally tapped in to the fans that idolised him back in the WWE. Finally, Jeff had returned to his wrestling roots - the guy who would put his body and soul on the line as the underdog.

Fast forward to this August. No relapses. No no-shows. No controversies.
Just the Hardy brand of wrestling that the wrestling audience can connect with. And Jeff has excelled as the fragile genius that we know he can be.
Jeff was entered into the Bound For Glory series and I doubt very much that any wrestling fan thought he would win it. In fact, of the last four in the tournament, he would have been everyones last choice to get that shot.

However, Jeff has it. Both the shot and the crowd on his side.

This years Bound for Glory has been masterfully built by TNA. The fact that they have managed to get a main event [that no one had considered a few months ago] so well booked, is a testament to the change in quality of story telling by TNA creative. From top to bottom, the card has must see matches. And who would have thought that at the very top of that card, was someone more popular than the super over Austin Aries.

Who would have thought, that Aries would be going into BFG as someone who is booed? That is down to how good Jeff has been and how much the fans still love him. Jeff was a broken man who has found redemption.

Jeff has been here before - the main event of Bound For Glory. He may even repeat his winning of the TNA world Heavyweight title at Bound For Glory.
But this time it will be special. And that is down to the flawed but soon to be redeemed Jeff Hardy.

Will it eclipse his achievements in WWE?

Only time will tell whether the broken enigma remains fixed. I hope this story has the happy ending it deserves.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Jeff Hardy - Redemption? Empty Re: Jeff Hardy - Redemption?

Post by talkingpoint Thu 11 Oct 2012, 3:30 pm

excellent article. I was planning on writing a new blog myself about Jeff's redemption should he win at BFG, as it has truly captured my imagination over this past year or so. I do feel that winning the world title will be the final chapter in his redemption and prove he can be the world champion and face of the company that I believe TNA have always wanted him to become. He has the WWE pedigree. He is artistic and edgy. He is a high flyer and a risk taker. He is a marketing dream.

Jeff has really won me over as a performer and a character this last year or so. What I think TNA do so well is create compelling stories. Whether it is truly down to TNA creative or just luck I do think that TNA have the far more compelling stories - Storm, Roode, Aries & Hardy. Think about it...

Roode - Roode was the inaugural BFG series winner and became a successful singles competitor in his own right. He lost at BFG and then went on to win the world title from his former tag partner in a successful heel turn that saw him become the leader of the selfish generation and the self-proclaimed IT factor of professional wrestling. Roode went on to become the longest reigning world champion in TNA history.

Storm - had his moment in the sun ruined by the betrayal of his former tag partner. Had to watch as Roode became the longest reigning champion through underhanded tactics and cheating. He got his chance at Lock Down to prove it should be him who was champion and not Roode, who had usurped his glory. A fateful superkick saw Roode lose the fight but win the match and retain the title, prompting Storm to take a break and re-evaluate his career. Slammiversary and he made his triumphal return taking Crimson's unbeaten streak and making a statement that he was not going to let Roode defeat him. Storm came so close to winning the BFG series after leading it for almost its entirety. Now he faces off against Roode in one of the best feuds in recent memory. Their rivalry has real venom in it and Storm comes across as the uber face.

AA - The man was about to retire from wrestling due to being overlooked by the bigger companies and his talent going to waste in the indies for just a niche audience. Then came the call from TNA - one more match. One more match turned into a contract that turned into the longest reigning X-Division champion. From the X-Division Aries went on through 'option C' to claim TNA's biggest prize at Destination X possibly becoming the most over champion of the new decade and personifying TNA's dedication to wrestling.

Jeff Hardy - a former WWE champion and wrestling golden boy who threw his career down the toilet through drug addiction at the start of 2011. Fast forward one year and Hardy is back, clean, healthy and with a reinvigorated passion and desire to once again become world champion and 'make believers out of non-believers'. Hardy has fought his demons and like Saint George has overcome the dragon in his life. Now he has almost sainthood status as one of the most beloved faces and wrestlers in the industry. Hardy overcomes Samoa Joe and Bully Ray in the same night at No Surrender - with an injury - in order to win the BFG series and earn his title shot at BFG. Hardy has been given nothing on a silver platter in this return to TNA. Hardy has fought to regain his main event status and his fanbase and finally seems on the long road back to fulfilling his huge potential.

TNA > WWE

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 11 Oct 2012, 4:36 pm

Hope that's ok Kay Fabe, I did not realise how long it was when I agreed to cut it, took some effort to keep a flow and I had to take out a lot of specifics.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Jeff Hardy - Redemption? Empty Jeff Hardy Interview

Post by Adam D Thu 11 Oct 2012, 7:30 pm

Good evening folks - here is the Jeff Hardy interview as conducted by our very own talkingpoint.

Its at the bottom.

Enjoy

http://v2journal.com/jeff-hardys-redemption.html

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Thu 11 Oct 2012, 7:55 pm

my first question is the fourth in the conference call! Very Happy

I can't believe though that the operator mispronounced my name! Where was Picard when you need him! picard

Good experience, I still can't believe I got to talk to Jeff Hardy someone I've been watching wrestle since I was a teenager.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Sat 20 Oct 2012, 9:23 pm

here's my own humble blog about Jeff Hardy's redemption, with a slightly more spiritual focus.

http://www.ewenebsworth.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/the-redemption-of-jeff-hardy.html

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by RinoGattuso Sun 21 Oct 2012, 3:43 am

If you read that, well done.

RinoGattuso

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down