The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Great for the Sport but not great at it

+7
seanmichaels
azania
two_tone
JabMachineMK2
Mr Bounce
ShahenshahG
bellchees
11 posters

Go down

Great for the Sport but not great at it Empty Great for the Sport but not great at it

Post by Guest Fri 12 Oct 2012, 9:39 am

Following on from Valero's Conscience's article re Gatti proposed inclusion into the Hall of Fame and a boxing writer's refusal to vote for Gatti on the grounds as mentioned in the title of the thread, which other fighters could be considered, "Great for the sport but not great at it"?

I'm mindful of not wishing to insult any fighter as their decision to step through the ropes at whatever level puts them significantly higher than me on the "He's got balls" ladder and I'm sure there's bound to be much derison at my suggestions (par for the course I suppose) but outside of Gatti, I'd plump for the recently returned Ricky Hatton.

I've got a lot of time and respect for Ricky. The only occasion when I've really felt let down by him was his approach to the Pacquiao fight where I felt he almost cheated the fans by adopting such a reckless and suicidal approach. Hatton's given us some of British boxing's best night...certainly in the last decade...and it would be unfair to say that, at his peak, he was arguably the best LWW in the World.

However, as a boxer, Hatton could never truly be considered "great", (very good indeed, but never great). His style could occasionally be deemed "crude but effective" and he long ago abandoned any pretence at sophisticated boxing in favour of the all out crowd pleasing style which made him such a fan favourite. There were occasions when he showed an excellent boxing brain (in the fight with Ben Tackie when he was controlled and methodical) but there were other occasions when lower tier fighters (such as Carlos Maussa) made him look very ordinary. However, on his best night when he beat Kostya, his manner of victory isn't one I'd put forward as an example of "great" boxing.

Again, I'm not "dissing" Ricky per se but if I was to pick someone who epitomised the phrase "great for the sport but not great at it"...I think I'd go for the Hitman.

Back to top Go down

Great for the Sport but not great at it Empty Re: Great for the Sport but not great at it

Post by bellchees Fri 12 Oct 2012, 9:53 am

Katsidis was not top drawer but always gave the fans a good fight. Trying to think of people who might have introduced or had a major impact on the sport in some of the more remote areas of the world but right now I got nothing.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Great for the Sport but not great at it Empty Re: Great for the Sport but not great at it

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 12 Oct 2012, 10:01 am

Nigel Benn

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Fri 12 Oct 2012, 11:53 am

Journeymen like Miguel Matthews and Peter Buckley. Genuine hard men with not the greatest skillsets, they regularly turned out for the sport often at short notice to face the up-and-comers.

Their losses column is usually far more stacked than their wins but they seldom get knocked out, allowing the prospects to get the rounds in the bank - it's invaluable experience.

They are hardly ever mentioned yet do more for the sport than most realise.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Fri 12 Oct 2012, 12:07 pm

Glen Johnson, not the best but very good for sport. Good name, prepared to travel etc.

I'd also throw in Micky Ward along with Gatti.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by two_tone Fri 12 Oct 2012, 12:13 pm

Maybe slightly controversial and premature but I would imagine Amir Khan could well fall into this category when his career is up. Obviously he has picked up titles but has been pancaked twice already and I wouldnt rule out a couple more of those losses in the next few years.

two_tone

Back to top Go down

Post by two_tone Fri 12 Oct 2012, 12:14 pm

Victor Ortiz is another one of these as well.

two_tone

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 12 Oct 2012, 1:10 pm

Canelo.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Fri 12 Oct 2012, 1:13 pm

Michael Watson

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 12 Oct 2012, 1:18 pm

Just to be a wum you decide to throw a nasty cheap shot at a great guy who given his current condition is probably twice the man you will ever be.

But imo Watson is a bad advert for the sport given what happened to him.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Fri 12 Oct 2012, 1:46 pm

Carl Froch? Not technically the best, but due to having a granite chin and always in want of a scrap, he is very exciting to watch without being "P4P CLASS".

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Fri 12 Oct 2012, 1:59 pm

azania wrote:Just to be a wum you decide to throw a nasty cheap shot at a great guy who given his current condition is probably twice the man you will ever be.

Keep your hair on.

He wasn't a great, but the safety of the sport has improved greatly since his injuries. He also does great charity work getting children out of gangs and in to sport (boxing amongst others).

Think before you speak nutjob.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 12 Oct 2012, 2:15 pm

seanmichaels wrote:
azania wrote:Just to be a wum you decide to throw a nasty cheap shot at a great guy who given his current condition is probably twice the man you will ever be.

Keep your hair on.

He wasn't a great, but the safety of the sport has improved greatly since his injuries. He also does great charity work getting children out of gangs and in to sport (boxing amongst others).

Of course. At least have the grapefruits to man up and admit it was a cheap shot.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Fri 12 Oct 2012, 2:19 pm

unlike you i don't trawl the boards looking for attention. have a good day sir

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 12 Oct 2012, 2:26 pm

It really scrapes what's left after scraping the bottom of the barrel when someone uses a boxer who got seriously injured during a fight, just to try and wind me up. And then scurry on trying to defend their comment. That is a new low. Well done sean. thumbsup

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 12 Oct 2012, 2:34 pm

seanmichaels wrote:

Keep your hair on.

So, in other words, a perfect answer to the question posed: Name a fighter who was great for the sport but not great at it.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 12 Oct 2012, 2:52 pm

Of course it was TopHat. No sly dig intended there. Sean knows what he meant but doesn't possess the grapefruits to man up.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Fri 12 Oct 2012, 3:33 pm

Michael Watson has been fantastic for the sport, after what happened its superb that what happened to him had a positive impact - that new safety measures were implemented, and that he himself has gone on to live a fulfilled life, showing the world that although tragedies happen in every sport - there was a real feeling of sympathy and reform.

He wasn't great at the sport - that much is a given.

Point is, I see that Seanmichaels put it, and if genuine then I feel correct, but if it was a joke, it was a bit bad taste.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Fri 12 Oct 2012, 3:46 pm

Whether it was meant as a bad joke or not, a brain damaged fighter is never "great" for the sport. It only gives those who want to see boxing banned more ammunition.

Back on topic, Bruno was great for the sport in Britain. I didn't like his image but there's no question he got people interested in the sport when he was around.

Last edited by Atila on Sat 13 Oct 2012, 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Fri 12 Oct 2012, 3:55 pm

stallone

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Fri 12 Oct 2012, 3:58 pm

It highlighted health concerns that in the long run have been avoided on the most part - Like when when there was the Mancini - Kim tragedy, boxing cut from 15 to 12 rounds, great for the sport in the long run to avoid serious injury so I see your point, and I do agree to a degree, but it needed changing on the whole and tragedies like that helped improve it.

I'm not saying the tragedies were great, far from it, but they are making the sport safer in the long run.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 12 Oct 2012, 4:00 pm

'great' for the sport is maybe the wrong word then, 'martyr' (or something less ominous) may be more appropriate.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Fri 12 Oct 2012, 4:02 pm

I believe there wasn't a doctor ringside at WHL that night.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Sat 13 Oct 2012, 12:25 am

JabMachineMK2 wrote:It highlighted health concerns that in the long run have been avoided on the most part - Like when when there was the Mancini - Kim tragedy, boxing cut from 15 to 12 rounds, great for the sport in the long run to avoid serious injury so I see your point, and I do agree to a degree, but it needed changing on the whole and tragedies like that helped improve it.

I'm not saying the tragedies were great, far from it, but they are making the sport safer in the long run.
There's a belief that I've heard on TV and read, is that fights were cut from 15 to 12 not for the safety of fighters, but because American TV wanted title fights that fitted into a one hour time slot.

Last edited by Atila on Sat 13 Oct 2012, 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 13 Oct 2012, 8:58 am

That's something TRUSS puts forward as often as Tubbs having the fastest hands on a HW

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 13 Oct 2012, 7:06 pm

Lance wrote:stallone

Great shout and very true also.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down