The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

British and Irish Lions Watch 2012-13

+85
George Carlin
funnyExiledScot
ScarletSpiderman
dragonbreath
wickedwasp
MacKnocked-on
reallybored
The Great Aukster
gboycottnut
Submachine
Tattie Scones RRN
100%beefy
Glas a du
rainbow-warrior
welshboii15
WELL-PAST-IT
TJ1
Triangulation
gleesonisgod
Casartelli
Kingshu
captain carrantuohil
killer938
RubyGuby
Luckless Pedestrian
asoreleftshoulder
theslosty
JmD
bsando
EnglandRose
hawalsh
sirtidychris
IanBru
Sin é
boomeranga
fa0019
thebluesmancometh
21st Century Schizoid Man
OzT
belovedfrosties
king_carlos
AlastairW
thomh
Rugby Fan
LeinsterFan4life
Exiledinborders
majesticimperialman
GunsGerms
gregortree
BoyneRFC
bedfordwelsh
the-goon
SirBurger
yappysnap
HammerofThunor
bluestonevedder
EnglishReign
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
R!skysports
Mr Taff
samuraidragon
Mickado
toml
Cyril
BigTrevsbigmac
Pot Hale
RuggerRadge2611
timhen
rodders
niwatts
Poorfour
pete (buachaill on eirne)
lostinwales
bathmad
Rory_Gallagher
ChequeredJersey
mowgli
beshocked
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Dubbelyew L Overate
propdavid_london
whocares
Geordie
LondonTiger
LordDowlais
89 posters

Page 9 of 19 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 19  Next

Go down

British and Irish Lions Watch 2012-13 - Page 9 Empty British and Irish Lions Watch 2012-13

Post by maestegmafia Mon 15 Oct 2012 - 12:32

First topic message reminder :

This thread started many months back and has been a gradual examination of who is picking who for the impending Lions Tour.

Now the Six Nations is over and all we have left to judge is the HEC and the various national leagues.

Last edited by maestegmafia on Mon 18 Mar 2013 - 9:38; edited 6 times in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

British and Irish Lions Watch 2012-13 - Page 9 Empty Re: British and Irish Lions Watch 2012-13

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 28 Jan 2013 - 9:02

How can people be picking Lydiate. He hasn't played rugby for nearly a year?!!
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

British and Irish Lions Watch 2012-13 - Page 9 Empty Re: British and Irish Lions Watch 2012-13

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 28 Jan 2013 - 9:29

Yeah and look how bad Welsh rugby has become in that time, he carried the entire nation!

Joking aside Id find it very hard to justify taking players who misthis 6 nations and havent played internatonal rugby since the last one unless they are truely well established legends (BOD types..and even then youd want clear signs they are fully sit and shrp). I certainy wouldnt see Croft as a likely Lion this time unless he realy starts tearing the HC apart. Lydiate of course wont have th opportunity to do that even.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 28 Jan 2013 - 9:35

If Lydiate tours it will be a travesty. The backrow is so hottly contested It would be terrible if someone gets selected because they played well last year.

The Lions isn't the sort of tour where you can afford passengers.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Mon 28 Jan 2013 - 10:36

I agree Lions can't afford passengers & that is why it should still be a 'Lions Watch' because picking a team is just fanciful & irrelevant.
Maybe fun for some to generate debate but these teams should have little relevance until players come through the 6 Nations & beyond in one piece & show consistent quality form.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 28 Jan 2013 - 10:42

maestegmafia wrote:I remember when Steve Hansen left Wales he was asked by the BBC if there were any players he would want to take back from Wales, He answered Jenkins immediately.

Steve Hansen left Wales in 2004.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Mon 28 Jan 2013 - 10:46

maestegmafia wrote:Jeremy Guscotts Lions XV

1 Cian Heelry
2 Rory Best
3 Adam Jones
4 AW Jones
5 Geoff Parling
6 Dan Lydiate
7 Chris Robshaw
8 Jamie Heaslip
9 Ben Youngs
10 Jonny Sexton
11 Lee Halfpenny
12 Jamie Roberts
13 Manu Tuilagi
14 George North
15 Rob Kearney

Don't think that's a good 15 at all. Agree with what people are saying about Lydiate. How he can be selected after his layoff is puzzling, but he is definitely a quality player.

Personally, I would put Cole in there to start at tight head- I don't know how he can't be included and not starting. Jones on the bench for me.

I don't think that second row pairing could work, and there are better options. I'd be tempted by Launchbury and Ian Evans.

Still not sure about Robshaw starting at 7...certainly, a lot is riding on this 6 Nations as to who will be starting 7.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 28 Jan 2013 - 10:54

bluestonevedder wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:Jeremy Guscotts Lions XV

1 Cian Heelry
2 Rory Best
3 Adam Jones
4 AW Jones
5 Geoff Parling
6 Dan Lydiate
7 Chris Robshaw
8 Jamie Heaslip
9 Ben Youngs
10 Jonny Sexton
11 Lee Halfpenny
12 Jamie Roberts
13 Manu Tuilagi
14 George North
15 Rob Kearney

Don't think that's a good 15 at all. Agree with what people are saying about Lydiate. How he can be selected after his layoff is puzzling, but he is definitely a quality player.

Personally, I would put Cole in there to start at tight head- I don't know how he can't be included and not starting. Jones on the bench for me.

I don't think that second row pairing could work, and there are better options. I'd be tempted by Launchbury and Ian Evans.

Still not sure about Robshaw starting at 7...certainly, a lot is riding on this 6 Nations as to who will be starting 7.

Rennie is a Class act at 7, however his inclusion would be crazy since he has been injured since the NZ game, if his inclusion after missing 3 months is madness (IMO), picking Lydiate is even more insane!
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Mon 28 Jan 2013 - 11:04

Ai Radge, Rennie is an absolute class act, and reminds me a lot of Hooper for the Aussies. If he was fit, I reckon he would currently be my leading contender for the starting 7 spot. Such a shame.

Concerning Lydiate, it all depends how quickly he finds form when he returns, and if he is given the opportunity to put good performance in on a big stage.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 28 Jan 2013 - 11:08

Parling and AWJ Yahoo I can't see any of those going - Launchbury and Evans would be a great shout thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 28 Jan 2013 - 11:15

bluestonevedder wrote:Ai Radge, Rennie is an absolute class act, and reminds me a lot of Hooper for the Aussies. If he was fit, I reckon he would currently be my leading contender for the starting 7 spot. Such a shame.

Concerning Lydiate, it all depends how quickly he finds form when he returns, and if he is given the opportunity to put good performance in on a big stage.

Unless he can be fit for the 6N he won't have a chance. Same as Rennie since the clubs they represent will play no part in the eye catching HC. I reckon they'll struggle to fight their cases for Selection if the can't play a part in the 6N...

RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Mon 28 Jan 2013 - 11:19

True true. I guess HC rugby is really the last opportunity. How long is Rennie out for?

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 28 Jan 2013 - 11:21

Well if HC rugby is the last opportunity, that rules out both Rennie and Lydiate.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Mon 28 Jan 2013 - 11:21

RubyGuby wrote:Parling and AWJ Yahoo I can't see any of those going - Launchbury and Evans would be a great shout thumbsup

Yeh, it could certainly be an interesting combination. Evans has come on leaps and bounds in my view, and is just such a unit, he's good in the scrums and around the pitch.

Launbury is proving to be good in the lineout, and veyr handy around the pitch too. Hopefully he'll have a good six nations and really put his hand up.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 28 Jan 2013 - 11:23

Potentially Kelly Brown vs Stephen Ferris in the HC could be spicy!

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 28 Jan 2013 - 11:24

bluestonevedder wrote:True true. I guess HC rugby is really the last opportunity. How long is Rennie out for?

Rennie is in the Scotland training squad and was invited along to the training sessions. He did Dislocate his shoulder in November, perhaps he will play a part in th 6N at some time. However finding information on his return/recovery has been difficult.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Mon 28 Jan 2013 - 11:31

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
bluestonevedder wrote:True true. I guess HC rugby is really the last opportunity. How long is Rennie out for?

Rennie is in the Scotland training squad and was invited along to the training sessions. He did Dislocate his shoulder in November, perhaps he will play a part in th 6N at some time. However finding information on his return/recovery has been difficult.

Would've have loved for him to have stayed on against NZ and see how he handled McCaw, but alas, injuries always come as the worst times.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by killer938 Mon 28 Jan 2013 - 12:35

RubyGuby wrote:Parling and AWJ Yahoo I can't see any of those going - Launchbury and Evans would be a great shout thumbsup

I can't comment on AWJ because I haven't seen enough of him but if Parling continues his recent form for Tigers and England then I think he should definitely make the plane. He has brought his Tigers form to the England side now and was outstanding over the AIs and then against Toulouse in the HEC.

killer938

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 28 Jan 2013 - 16:46

With regards toGuscotts squad it was said beforehand that it was most probably the hardest to pick becuase no ball has been kicked in the 6 Nations so I am guessing he is picking on reputation where Lydiate is concerned.

I like his front row but would be happy with Cole in at No3

Not seen enough of Parling and for me AWJ wouldn't be Welsh 1st choice lat alone Lions

Huge Lydiate and Heaslip fan so happy with that as for No7 the 6 Nations will be huge pointer

Half backs agree with

Centres I ahve said for sometime that I want JD and Tuilagi given a shot

Back 3, if he'sgiven a run in the 6 Nations then Byrne could really could get in there but always liked Kearney.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 28 Jan 2013 - 17:21

TBH Guscott probably put Jones and Lydiate in there because he has to put something to pacify the Welsh in everything he writes (if indeed he actually does write it)
As Moore would say, what does he know about forwards anyway.

BTW is it the BBC or Maest who cant spell Healy?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 28 Jan 2013 - 18:37

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:TBH Guscott probably put Jones and Lydiate in there because he has to put something to pacify the Welsh in everything he writes (if indeed he actually does write it)
As Moore would say, what does he know about forwards anyway.

BTW is it the BBC or Maest who cant spell Healy?

Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Dont you just love it thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Mon 28 Jan 2013 - 21:04

Interesting side on consistent form as picked by ESPN.

Looks a strong side to me!

Picked by our editorial staff on form and not reputation, we believe it offers an interesting take on who is leading the chase for a place in Warren Gatland's squad to tackle the Wallabies this summer. On the eve of the Six Nations, the key proving ground for anyone with serious tour aspirations, we list those players most likely to be on the plane Down Under according to the amount of times they have made our Team of the Week selection.

15. Mike Brown (Harlequins - 5 appearances)

He may not start at fullback for England come Saturday, but the Harlequins No.15 has had another consistently impressive season for the Premiership champions.

14. Leigh Halfpenny (Cardiff Blues - 4 apps)

While Wales and Cardiff Blues have struggled so far this season, Halfpenny has been their shining light. He looks certain to earn a place on the plane to Australia in the summer and while he may not be used on the wing, we had to shoe-horn him in.

13. Manu Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers - 7 apps)

There are still those who believe him to be better suited to a spot on the wing, but Tuilagi has had another impressive campaign. He is our most-featured player so far this season so expect to see him in red come the summer.

12. Brad Barritt (Saracens - 5 apps)

Saracens are pushing the boundaries on and off the field but Barritt is old-school. He has been impressive for both club and country and could well force his way into the Lions squad.

11. Craig Gilroy (Ulster - 3 apps)

There are many contenders for the Lions' wing berth but Ulster's flyer Gilroy is right up there with the best. He scored on his first start for Ireland back in November and could be a bolter for the summer tour.

Also on three: Christian Wade, George North, Eli Walker, Tim Visser

10. Owen Farrell (Saracens - 4 apps)

He coped admirably with the pressure of being named on the shortlist for IRB Player of the Year and was a key cog in the England machine that downed the All Blacks. He is equally adept in the centres so is a useful option.

Also on four: Freddie Burns

9. Danny Care (Harlequins - 6 apps)

England coach Stuart Lancaster has the welcome headache of just who to pick to start against Scotland with Ben Youngs and Danny Care both in the reckoning. At a push we would plump for the Harlequins No.9 Care who has been superb this term.

1. Tom Court (Ulster - 5 apps)

Could Steffon Armitage's Toulon form get him a place for the Lions? © Getty Images
Enlarge
Maybe a surprising selection, but Court has been imperious for Ulster this term at loose-head. He is behind Cian Healy in the Ireland pecking order but could do some damage during the Six Nations.

2. Richard Hibbard (Wales - 4 apps)

In what has been a fairly bleak season for the Welsh regions, Hibbard's stock continues to rise for both Wales and the Lions.

Also on four: Dylan Hartley

3. Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers - 7 apps)

It will be a straight shootout between Cole and Adam Jones for the Lions tight-head berth and for us, Cole is leading the way at the minute.

4. Joe Launchbury (Wasps - 5 apps)

He has been the story of the season. Compared to Martin Johnson, Launchbury could start for the Lions - it would mark an incredible ascent for the quietly spoken 21-year-old.

5. Geoff Parling (Leicester Tigers - 5 apps)

He played every minute of England's matches during the autumn Tests and is one of the game's premier lineout operators. He should get a place on the plane and will be one of the shining lights during the Six Nations.

6. Chris Robshaw (Harlequins - 6 apps)

He will skipper England into the Six Nations and is a real contender to captain the Lions come the summer. It has been another huge season from the Harlequins back-rower.

7. Steffon Armitage (Toulon - 4 apps)

He is out of the England frame but those in France love him. We have seen him on the Heineken Cup stage for Toulon and also in the Top 14 - he is playing some sensational rugby at No.7 and might force his way onto the plane.

8. Nick Easter (Harlequins - 4 apps)

The non-selection of Easter by England divided opinion. He has been playing well for Quins in the Premiership but Lancaster is still not keen to select him for England. There is every chance that he might be a Lion in the summer though.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 28 Jan 2013 - 21:23

I'm fed up with these "form" teams or Guscotts lunatic XV - Here's a reasoned XV thumbsup

1 - Jones/Cole
2 - Best/Youngs/Hibbard
3 - Healey
4 - Launchbury
5 - Evans
6 - Lydiate
7 - Robshaw
8 - Heaslip
9 - Phillips
10 - Sexton
11 - North
12 - BOD
13 - Tuilagi
14 - Brown
15 - Halfpenny thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Mon 28 Jan 2013 - 21:33

RubyGuby wrote:I'm fed up with these "form" teams or Guscotts lunatic XV - Here's a reasoned XV thumbsup

1 - Jones/Cole
2 - Best/Youngs/Hibbard
3 - Healey
4 - Launchbury
5 - Evans
6 - Lydiate
7 - Robshaw
8 - Heaslip
9 - Phillips
10 - Sexton
11 - North
12 - BOD
13 - Tuilagi
14 - Brown
15 - Halfpenny thumbsup

I'll do this once and once only. Cool

1. Healy
2. Best
3. Cole
4. Hines
5. Ryan
6. O'Brien
7. Robshaw
8. Heaslip
9. Murray (wasn't a fan of his but lately has combined the attributes of Phillips and Care - perhaps a biased selection but I haven't seen a lot of Care)
10. Sexton
11. Zebo
12. Davies
13. Tuilagi
14. Brown
15. Kearney

A mixture of form and shall we say, permanent class, but there's still time for the injured/out of form to come back, ie. POC, Ferris, Lydiate, Warburton, BOD, Bowe, North
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 4 Feb 2013 - 8:37

Some great performances on the weekend there.

Healy
Best
Cole
Ryan
Launchbury
SOB
Tipuric
Morgan
Care
Farrell
Zebo
Twelevetrees
BOD
Halfpenny
Hogg

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 4 Feb 2013 - 8:39

Phill Bennett's team from last nights scrum v

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/wales/21317514

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 4 Feb 2013 - 8:42

ESPN

2013 British and Irish Lions

Lions Watch: Six Nations offers food for thought
ESPN Staff
February 4, 2013

As we all tick off the days until the team depart Down Under, ESPNscrum will cast an eye across the action and pinpoint those players eligible for the elite tourists who are pushing their selection claims with strong performances. But luckily there is still a lot of rugby to be played until the squad board the plane for Hong Kong and plenty of time for hopes to rise and fall.

15. Stuart Hogg (Scotland)

The Scottish fullback sliced open England early on in their Calcutta Cup clash and was a constant threat with ball in hand. A very assured performance capped off with a superb individual try.

14. Sean Maitland (Scotland)

He marked his debut for the men in blue with a try and on occasions had Mike Brown peddling backwards at some pace. While there are some yet to be convinced by the manner Scotland have fast-tracked him into the side, he looks to be a very worthwhile addition to their XV.

13. Brian O'Driscoll (Ireland)

In what was one of the performances of the season, O'Driscoll terrorised the Welsh defence. He created Simon Zebo's score and bagged a try of his own. A vintage effort.

12. Billy Twelvetrees (England)

He made his debut for England in the Calcutta Cup clash but the Gloucester centre looked right at home on the Test stage. He marked his first cap with a try and carried well throughout.

11. Simon Zebo (Ireland)

You will see Zebo's outrageous piece of skill en route to Cian Healy's try - where he flicked the ball up with his heel and then caught it - on a constant loop over the next few weeks. It was just incredible but it was a solid performance overall from the young Munster winger including his second try in an Ireland shirt.

10. Owen Farrell (England)

After shining for England against the All Blacks in December, Farrell continued where he left off against Scotland. He was the deserved recipient of the Man of the Match award and is a real contender for a place in the Lions' team.

9. Ben Youngs (England)

Despite Danny Care scoring a late try for England, Youngs should keep the No.9 shirt for the Ireland clash next weekend. Youngs was always quick to the breakdown and also put in a fantastic pass for Twelvetrees' try.

1. Cian Healy (Ireland)

The Leinster loose-head got the better of Wales tight-head Adam Jones and marked the occasion with a try. He looks certain to be the Lions' No.1 come the summer.

2. Rory Best (Ireland)

One of Ireland's stellar performers against Wales, Best hit his men in the lineout and was omnipresent on the pitch. Despite his sin-binning, Best's Lions stock rose this weekend.

3. Mike Ross (Ireland)

Ross celebrated signing a new deal with the Irish Rugby Football Union with a solid display to help overpower the Welsh in the first half and deny them a famous comeback in the second.

4. Mike McCarthy (Ireland)

The soon-to-be Leinster lock put in a great performance in front of the watching Warren Gatland. He made 18 tackles, without missing one, and carried well.

5. Geoff Parling (England)

While he is widely regarded as a great lineout operator, Parling also bagged a try against Scotland. He always plays the full 80 for Lancaster and should clear his summer schedule as he should be on Lions duty.

6. Tom Wood (England)

A lot of what Wood does goes unseen but he was the outstanding back-rower on show at Twickenham on Saturday. He is the perfect foil to Chris Robshaw and could yet get the nod for the Lions

7. Sean O'Brien (Ireland)

He made an astonishing 23 tackles and got the better of Wales rival Sam Warburton. He has been out of the loop recently on the Test stage due to injury but O'Brien is back to his best.

8. Toby Faletau (Wales)

Wales' star performer, Faletau came close to scoring a try and made 66 metres with the ball in hand - a top showing.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 4 Feb 2013 - 9:58

Not sure about Faletau, Wood, Parling, Ross or Maitland in there!

In there places I'd have had Heaslip, Tipuric, Kohn, Cole and Ashton.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 4 Feb 2013 - 10:20

Kohn played 7 minutes held the ball once and didnt tackle anyone, now hes a Lion ? really? Erm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 4 Feb 2013 - 10:21

yappysnap wrote:Not sure about Faletau, Wood, Parling, Ross or Maitland in there!

In there places I'd have had Heaslip, Tipuric, Kohn, Cole and Ashton.

Faletau was very good, really made a difference and certainly out played Heaslip particularly in the second half. I thought Morgan did well for England too.

THe two best number eights in the NH were playing in the sunday match though. Parisse and Picamoles were faultless.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 4 Feb 2013 - 10:21

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Kohn played 7 minutes held the ball once and didnt tackle anyone, now hes a Lion ? really? Erm

Maybe he meant Coombes

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 4 Feb 2013 - 10:29

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Kohn played 7 minutes held the ball once and didnt tackle anyone, now hes a Lion ? really? Erm

You can sense he has a lot more to give though. Probably the most exciting player of the 6N's

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 4 Feb 2013 - 10:34

yappysnap wrote:

You can sense he has a lot more to give though. Probably the most exciting player of the 6N's

????

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 4 Feb 2013 - 10:36

Tipuric was outstanding and is probably odds on to start at 7 for the Lions after Satruday.

I feel a little sorry for SO'B. For 40 minutes he outclassed the former best 7 in the NH only to have to pit his wits against the incumbent best 7 in the NH for a further 40 minutes. Thats a rough ride for anyone. However with a phenominal 23 tackles and top Ireland ball carrier he still managed to put in an excellent shift and may just force his way in to the Lions squad somewhere.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 4 Feb 2013 - 10:40

maestegmafia wrote:
yappysnap wrote:

????

I ran it through google translation and it came up:

"He plays for the club I support"

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 4 Feb 2013 - 10:44

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
yappysnap wrote:

????

I ran it through google translation and it came up:

"He plays for the club I support"

Laugh

Back in reality I was really impressed by the starting locks for Wales, I have no idea of their names but reading all the doom and gloom on here pregame I expected them to be utterly man shamed, instead they both held up well.

And Kohn did hit the key ruck before Wales final try so he should get an assist there.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 4 Feb 2013 - 10:46

GunsGerms wrote:Tipuric was outstanding and is probably odds on to start at 7 for the Lions after Satruday.

I feel a little sorry for SO'B. For 40 minutes he outclassed the former best 7 in the NH only to have to pit his wits against the incumbent best 7 in the NH for a further 40 minutes. Thats a rough ride for anyone. However with a phenominal 23 tackles and top Ireland ball carrier he still managed to put in an excellent shift and may just force his way in to the Lions squad somewhere.

Is SOB being played in a different role now by Kidney? He doesn't seem to make those crazy runs anymore (ala Elsom) but now just tackles anything that moves and hits rucks hard, is that the best use of his skills?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 4 Feb 2013 - 10:50

yappysnap wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:Tipuric was outstanding and is probably odds on to start at 7 for the Lions after Satruday.

Is SOB being played in a different role now by Kidney? He doesn't seem to make those crazy runs anymore (ala Elsom) but now just tackles anything that moves and hits rucks hard, is that the best use of his skills?

Yes but I think he is more of a marked man in terms of his carrying now. Halfpenny made a cracking hit on him at one point. O'Brien needs to continue to vary his game... I also don't think he has been as effective a carrier since his hip problem and subsequent surgery.

Halfpenny really impressed for Wales, outplayed Kearney imo.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 4 Feb 2013 - 10:53

Put Tipuric in a structured environment rather than a nothing to lose choatic game plan Wales played in the 2nd half and I think he would be far far less effective.

I doubt any bar Adam Jones at the moment will get into the 23 from the Welsh pack... and with tough away games away to France and now Italy.... I can't see that changing.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 4 Feb 2013 - 10:56

Halfpenny did outplay Kearney though even when Ireland had posession Kearney never seemed to get on the ball. He made one or two nice runs when he did and made no errors at all so all in all he played well enough. Halfpenny was excellent in the air and dangerous in attack. Easily Wales' best back on the day.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 4 Feb 2013 - 10:56

fa0019 wrote:rather than a nothing to lose choatic game plan Wales played in the 2nd half

I think most of us would say the game was the other way round. First Half Chaotic abortion of a game plan, second half structured.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 4 Feb 2013 - 10:57

Halfpenny will certainly be on the plane if fit.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 4 Feb 2013 - 10:59

fa0019 wrote:Put Tipuric in a structured environment rather than a nothing to lose choatic game plan Wales played in the 2nd half and I think he would be far far less effective.

I doubt any bar Adam Jones at the moment will get into the 23 from the Welsh pack... and with tough away games away to France and now Italy.... I can't see that changing.

Name a better 7 in B&I than Justin Tipuric right now?

Not sure what structure has to do with how he plays he is an exceptionally effective 7 and has shown this form all year. If the Lions need an out and out 7 to come up against Pocock then I cant think of anyone better right now.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 4 Feb 2013 - 11:07

here we go.... 35 mins cameo and he's the best in the BI's all of a sudden.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 4 Feb 2013 - 11:10

fa0019 wrote:here we go.... 35 mins cameo and he's the best in the BI's all of a sudden.

Not really just a 35 minute cameo though is it as everyone has been saying the same about him all season after his performances for the Ospreys and Wales.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 4 Feb 2013 - 11:10

fa0019 wrote:here we go.... 35 mins cameo and he's the best in the BI's all of a sudden.

Tell me who is a better 7? This isnt based on 35 minutes against Ireland. He has been outstanding all year in the Rabo and HC.

Honestly cant think of a better 7 and I have no reason to be biased toward him as Im not Welsh.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 4 Feb 2013 - 11:13

Obviously Id love to see SOB get picked but we all know he isnt really a 7. He is a hybrid 6/7/8. So may be a useful sub but probably not a starter.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 4 Feb 2013 - 11:15

Armitage is one of the form 7s in the top14.... and has been very good in the HC.

Yet, the Top14, HC and Rabo is not test rugby.

Tipuric and Armitage both play in big packs who can dominate forward play. Warburton for instance plays for the blues.

A little unfair to match club form for Warburton.

Test rugby is where it counts and a cameo performance in a crazy last half where Ireland had 1 man down for the last 20 mins should be seen in perspective... In those instance Wales was always going to be up at the breakdown and your openside should be taking full advantage.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 4 Feb 2013 - 11:18

fa0019 wrote:Armitage is one of the form 7s in the top14.... and has been very good in the HC.

Yet, the Top14, HC and Rabo is not test rugby.

Tipuric and Armitage both play in big packs who can dominate forward play. Warburton for instance plays for the blues.

A little unfair to match club form for Warburton.

Test rugby is where it counts and a cameo performance in a crazy last half where Ireland had 1 man down for the last 20 mins should be seen in perspective... In those instance Wales was always going to be up at the breakdown and your openside should be taking full advantage.

Watching the game from the stands on Saturday the difference Tipuric made when he entered the game was massive. You are underrating his impact and influence massively.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 4 Feb 2013 - 11:24

MM

No, I'm suggesting their are specific reasons for his performance... i.e. the game play and the 1 man down for the last 20 mins... as well as being fully fresh from then on where all the other backrow forwards were knackered.

I'm not saying he didn't seem to appear to play well and didn't play well.

If he starts vs. FRA lets see how he does.

I myself think the lions 7 jersey should go to Robshaw anyhow at the moment.... I think he does massive work on the floor and has "real" leadership qualities (unlike Warburton who I think struggles with the job), his tackle rate also is immense.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Mon 4 Feb 2013 - 11:30

Sky -

Lions head coach Warren Gatland will have been an interested observer of Saturday's games at the Millennium Stadium and Twickenham - although the form of Wales will have perturbed him.

A number of players put their hands up for selection for the tour - and although there is still a long way to go skysports.com names its Lions XV based on the weekend's games.

15 Stuart Hogg (Scotland)

The Scotland full-back attacked with vim and vigour and gave England a torrid time. Got slightly lucky with his try - where he almost shinned the ball out - but it was well deserved for all his efforts.

14 Chris Ashton (England)

The 25-year-old has got his swagger back and took his try - his 17th for England - well. He went searching for the ball throughout and got stuck in.

13 Brian O'Driscoll (Ireland)

The Irishman was clearly hurt at losing the captaincy but he took his anger out on the Welsh. He scored one of the easiest tries of his career and showed sublime hands for Simon Zebo's score.

12 Billy Twelvetrees (England)

A try-scoring debut for the young centre will have given Stuart Lancaster a selection headache. Twelvetrees ran hard at the Scotland defence and slotted in as the second receiver with ease.

11 Simon Zebo (Ireland)

All the attention might have been on wing partner Craig Gilroy however it is the Munster man that stole the show. A try and then a simply amazing piece of skill - seeing him dubbed a 'freak' by Quade Cooper - will have increased his stock.

10 Owen Farrell (England)

The 21-year-old seems to get better and better each time he plays. There have never been any doubts over his kicking but he silenced those that have questioned his attacking abilities by carving open the Scots, including a scintillating pass for Geoff Parling's try

9 Ben Youngs (England)

The Leicester man has risen to the challenge emanating from Danny Care. His passing had a certain zip about it - with an absolute peach for Twelvetrees to score - while he was always looking for a gap in the Scotland defence.

1 Cian Healy (Ireland)

Helped take apart the all British and Irish Lions Welsh front-row in the scrums in Cardiff. His work rate around the park was second-to-none while he crossed for his second Test try.

2 Rory Best (Ireland)

Was simply awesome in Cardiff and was seemingly everywhere. The sin-binning will have blotted his copybook but he did his best to make amends with some big hits in defence.

3 Dan Cole (England)

It is hard to think that Cole is just 25 however he has emerged as one of the world's top tighthead props. Superb in the scrum and pilfers better than a lot of back-rows.

4 Andrew Coombs (Wales)

Another player who had a debut to remember, the Dragons lock took his chance - as well as plenty of lineout ball - with both hands. He made the hard yards with the ball in hand as well to make light of Wales' second row woes.

5 Mike McCarthy (Ireland)

The Connacht second row was a solid brick in the Irish defence as Wales through everything at Ireland in the second half. He tackled himself to a standstill and is staking a serious claim to be involved with the Lions.

6 Tom Wood (England)

Wood is arguably England's best No 6 since Richard Hill. Covered every blade of grass at Twickenham and got stuck in on the deck to disrupt Scotland's hopes.

7 Sean O'Brien (Ireland)

The Leinster man completely outclassed opposite number Sam Warburton at the Millennium Stadium. He made the hard yards with the ball in hand while his defensive efforts were heroic.

8 Toby Faletau (Wales)

The powerhouse No 8 was one of the few Welsh players to emerge from Cardiff with his reputation intact. Was a constant threat going forward.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 19 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 19  Next