The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dear Kiwi Fans, what was the best game of rugby you saw the ABs compete in this year or last?

+10
blackcanelion
anotherworldofpain
emack2
disneychilly
kiakahaaotearoa
aucklandlaurie
Taylorman
dallym
Otagolad
maestegmafia
14 posters

Go down

Dear Kiwi Fans, what was the best game of rugby you saw the ABs compete in this year or last? Empty Dear Kiwi Fans, what was the best game of rugby you saw the ABs compete in this year or last?

Post by maestegmafia Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:00 am

I'm intrigued.

The Abs have topped the IRB rankings for the best part of five years un touched, won the RWC, with a forth or fifth choice flyhalf, beaten all put before them. May have failed at a couple of Tri-Nations but any SA or Ozzie, let alone a mere NH'er will say that they never see their team as a certain to beat the kiwis.

You guys are on a pedestal....!

So from up their on high, what was the best game of rugby you kiwi fans saw your team play in the last twelve months...???

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Dear Kiwi Fans, what was the best game of rugby you saw the ABs compete in this year or last? Empty Re: Dear Kiwi Fans, what was the best game of rugby you saw the ABs compete in this year or last?

Post by Otagolad Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:19 am

I'm sure plenty of people will say it was the RWC Final, however for me it was the semi against Aus. In 80 minutes, every reason why Robbie Deans shouldn't have been picked as AB's coach was confirmed and underlined. Henry and the rest of the backroom staff came up with the perfect game plan to take apart the Aussies and to neutralise Pockock.

One of the best games I've ever seen and from about minute 15 on I was in no doubt we'd win that game. Simply brilliant.

Otagolad

Back to top Go down

Dear Kiwi Fans, what was the best game of rugby you saw the ABs compete in this year or last? Empty Re: Dear Kiwi Fans, what was the best game of rugby you saw the ABs compete in this year or last?

Post by dallym Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:04 am

haven't seen the two matches against aussie or V argentina in wellington, but I'd agree with otagolad that it was the semi V Aus. It was pure domination. I was there watching at Eden Park watching it, and I wasn't overly nervous. Apart from one Digby run, we didn't look like we'd conceed a try.

dallym

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:16 am

Yep me too. Oz Semi last year.

For me that was our world cup final especially after never having beaten Oz in a World cup and losing 2 semis in 91 and 99, and had just lost to them on an even basis in Brisbane for the 3N weeks earlier.

This despite playing our other hoodoo side in the final.

It was calculated and efficient with nothing left to chance. A rare test where every single player fronted.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:36 am

And you can add my tick to the same box.

That semi final was the fastest, fiercest, brutal test match that rugby has seen for quite some time, The fear was that both teams played their grand final that day and it was going to be hard for the winner to go on and win the final, players in both teams spilled a lot of blood that day.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:12 am

And me. Was at the game and boy was it a great relief to win. The nervous energy leading up to it was almost unbearable. I will never forget the jubilation in the crowd, and with 5 to go in true AB fan style, the unimaginitive chant of 'we're in the final' went up, magic. Was a clinical performance to boot. Doesn't get said often because we 'demand' so much, but I'm so proud of what this team has done and is doing.

Back to top Go down

Post by dallym Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:21 am

we're in the final? really? where i was sitting all i could hear was four more years!

dallym

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:07 am

I think what started this team's journey to that complete performance in the semi last year was the 2009 test in Marseille against France. We rediscovered our attacking mojo in that game and the home games in the 3N the following year against SA and Australia were also some of the best rugby I saw shutting out the opposition across the park. 60 points against Ireland is great to see but the best situation is when a team is trying its heart out to get into the game and can't find a way. Similarly, when a team is playing well and then you manage to get on top of them. Soweto in 2010 stands out as well.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:55 am

dallym wrote:we're in the final? really? where i was sitting all i could hear was four more years!

Apologies to Aussies for that-that sledge was awesome and Kiwis should have thought up something different to throw up at the Aussies instead of one of their own barbs.

The semi wasn't perfect-we had too many missed shots at goal and I'd have liked it to have been made safe earlier-but agree that it was the most satisfying. The sheer will and bloody-mindedness of the players. The swagger there said "Nup, you're not gonna get sh*t". Kaino's tackle on Ioane was the game personified. So pumped up. Buried the Oz WC bogey too.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:03 am

The RWC Semi-final versus Australia, AllBlacks old school the best performance for 10 years.IF the goal kickers had done there job it would have been a 30 plus thrashing.Forwards gave a lesson in "Grunt"Brad Thorn`s finest hour and Captain Fantastic out playing Pocock with a broken foot.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:05 am

Mind you France in France 2009,and the first 2010 match versus the Boks ran it close.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:52 pm

There have been quite a few times where the ABs have put on a big score. This year in the last two away games, Ireland's first and third test. It makes for a great spectacle and you have to sit back and admire the team for doing so.

I think AB fans (and I'd be the first to admit this of myself) tend to dismiss hard fought or ugly wins where we haven't played well and were dominated or usurped in certain areas like in Dunedin this year or the final last year. But we demand consistency and high performance and I'd be the first to realise that delivering on that is extremely difficult. So when it does happen we tend to view them as aberrations. But just as we like to remember the hard fought wins that came in style like Soweto in 2010, I think we should recognise the enormity of closing out games when the other team is playing better or at least the equal of you.

So what I'm trying to say is that maybe the World Cup final should be seen as a game where the ABs really had to compete and managed to grind out a win in an arena in which all too often they had been unable to perform on a consistent basis. I for one am all too guilty of glossing over games where we have looked shaky or fallible. But the humanity of the win is in a way much more compelling than a cyborg 60 point thrashing for instance.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:04 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:There have been quite a few times where the ABs have put on a big score. This year in the last two away games, Ireland's first and third test. It makes for a great spectacle and you have to sit back and admire the team for doing so.

I think AB fans (and I'd be the first to admit this of myself) tend to dismiss hard fought or ugly wins where we haven't played well and were dominated or usurped in certain areas like in Dunedin this year or the final last year. But we demand consistency and high performance and I'd be the first to realise that delivering on that is extremely difficult. So when it does happen we tend to view them as aberrations. But just as we like to remember the hard fought wins that came in style like Soweto in 2010, I think we should recognise the enormity of closing out games when the other team is playing better or at least the equal of you.

So what I'm trying to say is that maybe the World Cup final should be seen as a game where the ABs really had to compete and managed to grind out a win in an arena in which all too often they had been unable to perform on a consistent basis. I for one am all too guilty of glossing over games where we have looked shaky or fallible. But the humanity of the win is in a way much more compelling than a cyborg 60 point thrashing for instance.

Well from the netural perspective, and straying slightly outside the boundary of this year or last year I would have to say the game against Wales in the last AI series was a great game to watch and also seminal in the RWC victory for "NZ under pressure closing out a game".

I remember Allan Lewis was all over the All Blacks, penalising them for everything from early on when the initial penalty went to Wales after just seconds when Stephen Jones theatrically threw himself to the ground as he passed Mils Muliaina. That really set the tone for what was to follow! NZ were ruthless and cut Wales open with dynamic back line moves again and again, despite Wales being allowed well offside constantly in defense by Lewis. A hail of breakdown penalties went against NZ but somehow every time they touched the ball it seemed to result in a try.

I think NZ learned a lot about closing out a game (in Cardif) into the head wind of a hostile referee that day, McCaw learnt a few more tricks on referee management. Also one of the first games with SBW adding his off-loading into the AB mid-field and proving of the Kaino/McCaw/Read back row combinator...all key elements in the ultimate RWC success and I believe you can trace it right back to this very game.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:34 pm

Just out of curiosity maestegmafia, what's your fondest Wales match in the same period?

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:06 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Just out of curiosity maestegmafia, what's your fondest Wales match in the same period?
The two tests against Ireland have been great. The the RWC 1/4s and the Six Nations opener, the Six nations one in Dublin was one of the most exciting games of rugby I've seen in years. Captured everything the game is about at that level. Pride, passion, skill, endeavour, history, brutality, controversy and a close score line down to the dying second.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:36 pm

One of those was the Phillips run down the touchline at the end wasn't it. Hard case way to win a test alright.

You'll be looking forward to the AB test then maesteg?

You going?

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:44 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Just out of curiosity maestegmafia, what's your fondest Wales match in the same period?
The two tests against Ireland have been great. The the RWC 1/4s and the Six Nations opener, the Six nations one in Dublin was one of the most exciting games of rugby I've seen in years. Captured everything the game is about at that level. Pride, passion, skill, endeavour, history, brutality, controversy and a close score line down to the dying second.

..you missed the habitual poor refeering decision costing the better side the game Maes! But I take your point! Run

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:25 pm

Taylorman wrote:One of those was the Phillips run down the touchline at the end wasn't it. Hard case way to win a test alright.

You'll be looking forward to the AB test then maesteg?

You going?

The dodgey try from the illegal throw in...???

No that was the 2011 six nations.

Cant wait for the ABs game. We have some Kiwi friends coming over for the match, and to see three of their kids who are living and working in London. Should be a great occasion, always is. Hopefully more 1953 than 2004.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:33 pm

Brave man Maesteg,

Inviting Kiwis over to watch an AB test can be become very taxing on the furniture, especially when they start doing Hakas and putiing down scrums in the front room.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:36 pm

Well there is a good chance Maes!

For instance there are eerie symmetrical coincidences and omens foretelling a Welsh victory.

For instance:

1953 = The release of the FIRST James bond movie novel.
2012 = The release of the LAST Janes bond movie novel.

Coincidence?

1953 = The FIRST televised FA Cup.
2012 = The LAST televised FA Cup.

Coincidence?

1953 = The previous record for highest rainfall within a 30 minute period
2012 = This record was broken for the first time since 1953

Coincidence?

1953 = First Italian Coffee Bar opens in GB
2012 = The LAST Italian Coffee Bar opens in GB.

1953 = Myxamatosis Reaches GB
2012 = Radiohead perform Myxamatosis at the O2 (which was awesome)

1953 = CS Lewis Releases "The Silver Chair"
2012 = My fiance bought a silver chair from John Lewis.

These can't ALL be coincidences.

Last edited by anotherworldofpain on Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Sean Connery is *not* that old.)

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:38 pm

I didnt realise Sean Connery was that old.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:41 pm

Ok, it might have been the novel and not the film, but I've seen the film and not read the novel. So for me it's the same thing.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:44 pm

All good AWOP, I did like the Mexamatosis one.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:47 pm

Ok it's a stool and it's not really silver, and it didn't come from John Lewis.

But I still reckon Wales have got a decent shout...

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:40 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote:

Brave man Maesteg,

Inviting Kiwis over to watch an AB test can be become very taxing on the furniture, especially when they start doing Hakas and putiing down scrums in the front room.

I'm taking them to the match. Have a few contacts for good tickets at the WRU. Looking forward to a great game as always. Can't beat watching your nation watch the undisputed best team in the world.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:41 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:

Brave man Maesteg,

I'm taking them to the match. Have a few contacts for good tickets at the WRU. Looking forward to a great game as always. Can't beat watching your nation watch the undisputed best team in the world.

I hope your nation does more than watch maes! or it might be a long afternoon. Erm

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:47 pm

I'd have to say the lats game against the boks. Beating SA at home is still one of the hardest asks in world rugby. It might have been a team weakened by recent retirements and injuries. But they are still the boks. To do it whilst dealing with one of the more one sided penalty counts (7 penalties and a free kick to the boks in the first half, none to the AB's) and all that entails is pretty special.

Last edited by blackcanelion on Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:15 am; edited 1 time in total

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:30 pm

More than the Oz semi though...?

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:39 pm

From a neutral perspective I thought the two games against Aus in the RC were incredible. It was All Black perfection and not at any point did Australia look capable of winning while NZ looked like barely breaking a sweat.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:41 am

Probably have to agree with the semifinal. The last game against OZ was great but they weren't at their strongest so takes the gloss off somewhat.

But also the last game in SA where we soaked it up and then scored tries when we finally got the ball in the first half. That's when we won the game.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:47 am

RWC Final for mine.
Perhaps the most excruciating 40 mins of rugby I'd watched since...
2007 in Cardiff and 2003 in Sydney before that.
U get what i'm saying?
A totally cathartic experience.

Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:57 am

anotherworldofpain wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:

Brave man Maesteg,

I hope your nation does more than watch maes! or it might be a long afternoon. Erm

I'm sure they will...! We never just watch, we are rather famous for singing a great deal as well...!!!

Referring to the team, we'll have to see how we go in the earlier tests. Welsh rugby has more depth than it has had for a good thirty plus years. Whether we have the talent, the skill, the defence and the game management to beat you guys is to be seen nearer the time.

It's been a while since we played you. I think we are all looking forward to it in Wales.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:51 am

maestegmafia wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:

Brave man Maesteg,

I'm sure they will...! We never just watch, we are rather famous for singing a great deal as well...!!!

Referring to the team, we'll have to see how we go in the earlier tests. Welsh rugby has more depth than it has had for a good thirty plus years. Whether we have the talent, the skill, the defence and the game management to beat you guys is to be seen nearer the time.

It's been a while since we played you. I think we are all looking forward to it in Wales.

It would probably be good for the game globally to get a Welsh win. Don't you feel it's got a bit boring an predictable? Some people say that the old interesting thing about rugby was that NZ never won the world cup. Now they have, it seems a bit dross.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:43 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:

Brave man Maesteg,

It would probably be good for the game globally to get a Welsh win. Don't you feel it's got a bit boring an predictable? Some people say that the old interesting thing about rugby was that NZ never won the world cup. Now they have, it seems a bit dross.

Are you a kiwi?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:47 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:

Brave man Maesteg,

Are you a kiwi?

No.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:08 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:

Brave man Maesteg,

Are you a kiwi?

No.

laughing

I'm impressed that your English has come on so well, that you can correct people's faults though. Well done.

I think Wales will probably come up short against NZ and Australia again. Unless we open up a bit of a margin (which is unlikely), I fear that we may not have the attitude to believe we can beat them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:40 am

I love watching my team romp to a big win. But I value the hard fought tight wins higher. When they opposition plays brilliantly too. They refuse to be dominated and fight all the way and show all the attributes you'd like in your own team like fitness, physicality, speed and skill.

When your team manages to come out on top in one of those games I find it far more satisfying. But the All Blacks are so good, I guess the fans might always have the thought in the back of their heads that "It shouldn't have been that close. We could have won by more".

Because they really are the best. But sometimes, on a given day, their competitors really can play above themselves and put in a truly awesome performance, and it really is impossible to get the comprehensive win, even for the mighty All Blacks. On those days a 1 point win should be just as creditable as running in 8 tries against a far inferior team.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down