The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

At the risk of conflating McIlroy and the Olympics again...

+17
gaelgowfer
GunsGerms
pedro
Caito
John Cregan
SmithersJones
Bob_the_Job
Diggers
incontinentia
super_realist
Skydriver
beninho
Roller_Coaster
hend085
1GrumpyGolfer
hogie
navyblueshorts
21 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

At the risk of conflating McIlroy and the Olympics again... - Page 2 Empty At the risk of conflating McIlroy and the Olympics again...

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 17 Oct 2012, 5:37 pm

First topic message reminder :

Interesting gambit:

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golftalkcentral/ireland-offers-mcilroy-chance-to-carry-flag-at-rio-olympics
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

At the risk of conflating McIlroy and the Olympics again... - Page 2 Empty Re: At the risk of conflating McIlroy and the Olympics again...

Post by incontinentia Tue 23 Oct 2012, 11:36 am

Diggers, using the olympics to assess a country's sporting prowess is like using ryder cup performance to measure a golfer's career.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

At the risk of conflating McIlroy and the Olympics again... - Page 2 Empty Re: At the risk of conflating McIlroy and the Olympics again...

Post by Diggers Tue 23 Oct 2012, 11:48 am

Not sure about that to be honest, the Olympics covers an awful lot of sports. Its fairly clear that Ireland are pretty rubbish at most of those sports, and considering your equestrian heritage you'd think you'd have won quite a few there. Amateur boxing as well. You clearly have produced very few international athletes of any note, or gymnasts or swimmers.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 23 Oct 2012, 12:11 pm

S_R

Islam and cartoons = joke at the expense of made-up being.
Tatty munchers = play on potato famine.

Personally, I can see some logic in finding digs at the potato famine offensive for some. That said, it can't be taken out of historical context and today's outraged morals applied to it with any logic. Plenty of Irish say they find it offensive - why do you keep chipping at it? Is it simply that you're WUMing? Can't see any other point myself.
Just because you think it's silly doesn't necessarily make someone's offense unjustified. You aren't always right either.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 23 Oct 2012, 12:44 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:S_R

Islam and cartoons = joke at the expense of made-up being.
Tatty munchers = play on potato famine.

Personally, I can see some logic in finding digs at the potato famine offensive for some. That said, it can't be taken out of historical context and today's outraged morals applied to it with any logic. Plenty of Irish say they find it offensive - why do you keep chipping at it? Is it simply that you're WUMing? Can't see any other point myself.
Just because you think it's silly doesn't necessarily make someone's offense unjustified. You aren't always right either.

Laugh Laugh Laugh
Outstanding Navy, outstanding. I nearly missed that the first time I read it.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 23 Oct 2012, 1:01 pm

Super- the kilt thing, whats that all about? Why is transvestism such an integral part of scottish culture?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 23 Oct 2012, 1:04 pm

I've no idea Incontinent. Perhaps it's easier for you lot to find our knees to smash them.
Say what you like though, I won't take offence.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 23 Oct 2012, 1:11 pm

[quote="
Say what you like though, I won't take offence.[/quote]

Thirty something, middle class with delusions of grandeur, pompous and supercilious musical snobs, Tiger Woods hating, golfing and running loving white Scots males currently residing in Aberdeen are the biggest w£n&erS on the planet...hows that ? Smile

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 23 Oct 2012, 1:14 pm

Very good Diggers, and fairly accurate. See, no offence taken, but dare mention a potato and all hell breaks loose in Ireland. It's as pathetic as the residents of Portland objecting to the word "rabbit".

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 23 Oct 2012, 1:20 pm

I tend to agree Super. Lets face it, some people will never forgive the Germans for 2 world wars when they were clearly just errors of judgement.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Tue 23 Oct 2012, 2:04 pm

During the "good times" here in Ireland, a lot of people here began to introduce the wearing of kilts (Groom & Best man/groomsmen) at their weddings - people with no connection at all with Scotland....................I remember someone taking great offence when i queried where the "scottish link" was at a particular wedding........................

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 23 Oct 2012, 2:05 pm

Quite right John, it would be like the Scots wearing Leprechaun outfits at a wedding, or a Welshman wearing lederhosen. Stupid.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Caito Tue 23 Oct 2012, 9:55 pm

At the risk of taking this thread back to the topic....

This is a fairly shocking statement if true. Is there any validation of it? Yer man is basically selling the Irish flag.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the reason Rory hasn't declared yet was because he simply hadn't decided. One consideration may be the format and who he would play with. If the qualification was tomorrow and he opted for GB he'd be playing in a team with Donald (maybe as part of an individual stroke play event maybe as a team format) if he chose Ireland he'd be playing with his old mate G-Mac who would not make the GB team.

It is possible to be a proudly Irish and British, my wife is and so are many people for the North. The fact that such an identity mix is difficult to accept for some Irish and Brits is neither here nor there really, it exists and it is pretty clear that Rory and GMac feel Irish and British.

One thing is for sure, if he signs for Nike, he'll be playing in Rio.

Caito

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Wed 24 Oct 2012, 3:10 pm

http://deadspin.com/5930062/there-are-four-olympic-athletes-without-countries-to-represent

I have the perfect team for Rory..................

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by hogie Wed 24 Oct 2012, 6:15 pm

Given the choice I think Rory would choose to represent Northern Ireland / Ulster, under the Ulster Flag. But bar a revolution that looks unlikely! I assume he and Gmac are Still representing Ireland in the world cup or has anyone heard different?

hogie

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 24 Oct 2012, 9:26 pm

Diggers wrote:I tend to agree Super. Lets face it, some people will never forgive the Germans for 2 world wars when they were clearly just errors of judgement.
May I remind that Britain started WWII.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 24 Oct 2012, 9:32 pm

Semantics Pedro. Don't be daft.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 24 Oct 2012, 9:46 pm

John Cregan wrote:During the "good times" here in Ireland, a lot of people here began to introduce the wearing of kilts (Groom & Best man/groomsmen) at their weddings - people with no connection at all with Scotland....................I remember someone taking great offence when i queried where the "scottish link" was at a particular wedding........................

There is a history of kilt wearing in Ireland for at least a couple of hundred years so its not exactly unprecedented. It is also a symbol of Celtic identity. I lived in Spain for a while and kilts were common enough amongst Galegos and I believe you can see Bretons wearing kilts in France. So not sure what the big deal is.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 24 Oct 2012, 10:33 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
John Cregan wrote:During the "good times" here in Ireland, a lot of people here began to introduce the wearing of kilts (Groom & Best man/groomsmen) at their weddings - people with no connection at all with Scotland....................I remember someone taking great offence when i queried where the "scottish link" was at a particular wedding........................

There is a history of kilt wearing in Ireland for at least a couple of hundred years so its not exactly unprecedented. It is also a symbol of Celtic identity. I lived in Spain for a while and kilts were common enough amongst Galegos and I believe you can see Bretons wearing kilts in France. So not sure what the big deal is.

There is a club near where I work in Soho called Madame Jo Jo's. A lot of men wear skirts there as well....so I'm told...

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 24 Oct 2012, 10:54 pm

Read here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilt

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed 24 Oct 2012, 10:55 pm

I thought kilts were invented to allow scots easier access to sheep on the lonely moors.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Thu 25 Oct 2012, 10:02 am

incontinentia wrote:I thought kilts were invented to allow scots easier access to sheep on the lonely moors.

Laugh OK

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 25 Oct 2012, 10:43 am

gaelgowfer wrote:
incontinentia wrote:I thought kilts were invented to allow scots easier access to sheep on the lonely moors.

Laugh OK

Och no, it's even simpler than that, it's most practical for when the beer seal breaks, none of this unzip and fumble rubbish....Just lift and pee...so so much easier!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 25 Oct 2012, 10:51 am

JAS wrote:
gaelgowfer wrote:

Laugh OK

Och no, it's even simpler than that, it's most practical for when the beer seal breaks, none of this unzip and fumble rubbish....Just lift and pee...so so much easier!!
I must try one then Jas, save a fortune on undergarments!
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 25 Oct 2012, 10:55 am

incontinentia wrote:
JAS wrote:
gaelgowfer wrote:

Laugh OK

I must try one then Jas, save a fortune on undergarments!

Aye there is that...a word of warning tho, no matter how enthusiastic the request, NEVER allow yourself to be talked into doing cartwheels on the dancefloor!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Thu 25 Oct 2012, 1:17 pm

Just seen the following on the BBC website

"Graeme McDowell wants some help in the decision over which country to represent when golf returns to the Olympics in 2016.

"We're kind of in a unique scenario in Northern Ireland in that we have one foot on each team. I think it's going to be a lot easier if someone makes the decision for us.

"The Olympic committee should step in and say that `You guys are either playing for Ireland or you're playing for Great Britain."'

The guy looks like he wants to sidestep the issue and to be able to blame someone else when the inevitable backlash from one side or the other happens.

IMO he/they should "Man up" and make the decision based on what they feel and to hell with the consequences (and to hell with what "we" on internet forums say too!).

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 25 Oct 2012, 2:17 pm

Roller_Coaster wrote:Just seen the following on the BBC website

"Graeme McDowell wants some help in the decision over which country to represent when golf returns to the Olympics in 2016.

"We're kind of in a unique scenario in Northern Ireland in that we have one foot on each team. I think it's going to be a lot easier if someone makes the decision for us.

"The Olympic committee should step in and say that `You guys are either playing for Ireland or you're playing for Great Britain."'

The guy looks like he wants to sidestep the issue and to be able to blame someone else when the inevitable backlash from one side or the other happens.

IMO he/they should "Man up" and make the decision based on what they feel and to hell with the consequences (and to hell with what "we" on internet forums say too!).
If he really said that (and believes it), it's pretty pathetic. Grow some why don't you Graeme!
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 25 Oct 2012, 2:23 pm

Oh come off it Navy, its fair enough. I mean they could have just let the IOC sort out the whole Ireland issue 30-40 years ago, quite why they didnt is beyond me, how silly. Whistle

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 25 Oct 2012, 2:33 pm

Mmmm, tricky choice. Represent a country who achieve virtually nil in the Olympics or represent one which punches well above it's weight and be part of a fantastic team.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 25 Oct 2012, 2:46 pm

I wouldnt quite claim Irelands punches way above its weight but it does do well for its size and budget. While Britain does have an astronomical budget and better resources and facilities that most other nations it didnt achieve nil either. They bought at least 50-60 medals which comparative to all other nations factoring in budget resources and personal certainly isnt great but "nil" is harsh.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 25 Oct 2012, 2:48 pm

Very droll Guns.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Thu 25 Oct 2012, 2:49 pm

IMO - I don't think he'd get a game for GB if it's a limited sized team.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 25 Oct 2012, 2:50 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
Roller_Coaster wrote:Just seen the following on the BBC website

If he really said that (and believes it), it's pretty pathetic. Grow some why don't you Graeme!

McDowell is quite right. If you feel half Irish half British then why should you have to choose. Its like asking a parent who their favorite child is.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 25 Oct 2012, 2:51 pm

super_realist wrote:Very droll Guns.

You are hilarious and so witty.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 25 Oct 2012, 2:52 pm

He might not even get in the Ireland team.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 25 Oct 2012, 2:53 pm

Not with the way Lowry and Harrington are lighting sh1t up.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 25 Oct 2012, 2:54 pm

Lowry will be dead by 2018 anyway.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 25 Oct 2012, 2:58 pm

Im sorry but Ireland has a truly shocking Olympic heritage as mentioned on another thread. Something like 28 medailists in history and only 9 golds. Finland isnt much bigger....302 medals and 101 golds.
Norway 148 medals and 56 golds. And this is just summer games by the way. New Zealand 100 medals.
For a first world western country Ireland sucks at the Olympics.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 25 Oct 2012, 3:06 pm

Diggers wrote:Im sorry but Ireland has a truly shocking Olympic heritage as mentioned on another thread. Something like 28 medailists in history and only 9 golds. Finland isnt much bigger....302 medals and 101 golds.
Norway 148 medals and 56 golds. And this is just summer games by the way. New Zealand 100 medals.
For a first world western country Ireland sucks at the Olympics.

Whats your point? You shouldnt represent a country that doesnt have a history of winning medals because that may somehow affect your chances of winning? That would quite idiotic logic given that McIlroy has already proven his pedigree and already represented Ireland.

By the way your figures dont take into account the amount of athletes Ireland sends to the Olympics which is often quite small due to bubget constraints.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 25 Oct 2012, 3:12 pm

My point is you are talking tosh when you say Ireland does well, it doesnt, it does appallingly. I personally dont think that should be part of GSpuds decision making process, that was Supers point, mine is purely based on your comment about how good you are at the Games.
If Ireland wanted to spend money on sport it would at the expense of something else, it doesnt, all these things add up to make Ireland a poor performer. Its not like New Zealand and Finland have been rich constantly since 1902 and they have done far far better.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 25 Oct 2012, 3:13 pm

Diggers wrote:My point is you are talking tosh when you say Ireland does well, it doesnt, it does appallingly. I personally dont think that should be part of GSpuds decision making process, that was Supers point, mine is purely based on your comment about how good you are at the Games.
If Ireland wanted to spend money on sport it would at the expense of something else, it doesnt, all these things add up to make Ireland a poor performer. Its not like New Zealand and Finland have been rich constantly since 1902 and they have done far far better.

Yawn.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 25 Oct 2012, 3:18 pm

Got to agree with Diggers. It's no use looking through emerald tinted glasses. Ireland are rubbish at sport in general.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 25 Oct 2012, 3:18 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
Diggers wrote:My point is you are talking tosh when you say Ireland does well, it doesnt, it does appallingly. I personally dont think that should be part of GSpuds decision making process, that was Supers point, mine is purely based on your comment about how good you are at the Games.

Yawn.

Yep facts can be boring. Must be a bit like watching the Olympics for you, knowing you never win anything.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 25 Oct 2012, 3:22 pm

Ill dumb it down for you because you arent very bright.

Irelands Olympic budget was approx €5m
Britains was approx £250

Britain effectively blew Irelands whole budget per medal they won. Yet Ireland still managed 5 medals on their megre budget. All factors considered Ireland did very well.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 25 Oct 2012, 3:24 pm

So why are Ireland so niggardly with their Olympic funding? Other small countries like NZ, Finland, Norway etc consistently outperform the bog trotters.

Why would McIlroy or GFat want to be associated with such sporting dross?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 25 Oct 2012, 3:27 pm

The olympics are a joke anyway, table tennis and those silly minority sports shouldnt be there, what next- midget tossing? The irish do well at sports that matter.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 25 Oct 2012, 3:31 pm

You did averagely in one games. I dont know if you have missed them but the Olympics have been going on for quite some time now, maybe you've only just got tele over there ?
In all the preceeding Games....23 medals. Rubbish, similar countries with equally small budgets and populations do much better.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 25 Oct 2012, 3:31 pm

super_realist wrote:So why are Ireland so niggardly with their Olympic funding? Other small countries like NZ, Finland, Norway etc consistently outperform the bog trotters.

By that logic it should be a pretty easy decision for them both as they surely wouldnt want to associate themselves with a nation of mentally fragile journey men golfers incapable of winning majors.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 25 Oct 2012, 3:31 pm

incontinentia wrote:The olympics are a joke anyway, table tennis and those silly minority sports shouldnt be there, what next- midget tossing? The irish do well at sports that matter.

Like what? I can't think of much they aren't absolutely average at.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 25 Oct 2012, 3:33 pm

3rd degree burn there guns, well done!
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 25 Oct 2012, 3:34 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
super_realist wrote:So why are Ireland so niggardly with their Olympic funding? Other small countries like NZ, Finland, Norway etc consistently outperform the bog trotters.

By that logic it should be a pretty easy decision for them both as they surely wouldnt want to associate themselves with a nation of mentally fragile journey men golfers incapable of winning majors.

As oppposed to linking themselves to the village idiot Harrington who is all Ireland have.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next