The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Game of Thrones - May Contain Spoilers

+66
gazzyD
mikey_dragon
MrPoncho
Beer
Fernando
jbeadlesbigrighthand
Scott is Back
kingraf
lfc91
Kevin Jones
JDizzle
RuggerRadge2611
Azzy
Nakatomi Plaza
President Trump
RinoGattuso
dancingweeman
Paul Mac 6CW
welshy824 (new)
trottb
Brys
TopHat24/7
incontinentia
seanmichaels
Mind the windows Tino.
Rowley
nadeem2099
MtotheC
hodge
Knowsit17
Fists of Fury
compelling and rich
Bull
jimmyinthewell68
Cyril
bsando
Ent
jeromedubois
ChequeredJersey
dummy_half
Mad for Chelsea
Hoggy_Bear
bluestonevedder
Hulking_up
Galted
GSC
BamBam
alfie
teassoc
propdavid_london
Dass
Hero
Biltong
hampo17
Adam D
Kenny
The Galveston Giant
CFCNick
Gregers
BigPhil
Scottrf
hornbloweroafc
AberdeenSteve
Dave.
ADMIN
randy-poffo
70 posters

Page 2 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next

Go down

Game of  Thrones - May Contain Spoilers - Page 2 Empty Game of Thrones - May Contain Spoilers

Post by randy-poffo Tue 19 Apr 2011, 6:36 pm

First topic message reminder :

Did anyone catch the first episode last night on Sky Atlantic.If so what were you're thoughts on it.
I'm a fan of the books that the show came from and was a bit worried how it would come across on TV.But I Really enjoyed the first episode and thought most of the charchters came across well.I'm looking foward to watching the rest of the season.

Last edited by randy-poffo on Thu 19 Jun 2014, 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

randy-poffo

Back to top Go down

Game of  Thrones - May Contain Spoilers - Page 2 Empty Re: Game of Thrones - May Contain Spoilers

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 17 Apr 2012, 1:37 pm

Was one more than i'm comfortable with and it was pretty long, 2 minutes at least. Just hope that whole angle doesn't start up this season as i enjoy the series. Brothers and sisters is bad enough.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Game of  Thrones - May Contain Spoilers - Page 2 Empty Re: Game of Thrones - May Contain Spoilers

Post by Guest Tue 17 Apr 2012, 1:42 pm

the brother and sister thing is worse imo, but hey it's part of the books, so it's going to be in there!

The parts I find more uncomfertable is just the casual violence. I knew from the books it was going to be there, but there's one thing reading it, an another thing seeing it right there in front of you.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 17 Apr 2012, 1:45 pm

Putting the sword right through the young lads throat at the end was pretty intense i'll say that, especially in the slow manner he did it.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 17 Apr 2012, 1:54 pm

yeah, that I found just really unsettling, although I'm not sure why as I knew it was going to happen! Just guess it's a very big shock factor, but then that's part of what makes the show so good I think.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Tue 17 Apr 2012, 2:43 pm

I thought it was unsettling because of the lack of emotion when he does it . Its like nothing is taboo , no boundries
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 17 Apr 2012, 3:07 pm

aye that could have been it Kenny, just.....ych. I have no other word for it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Tue 17 Apr 2012, 3:09 pm

It is great though isn't ? It leaves you wanting more
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 17 Apr 2012, 3:13 pm

I didn't watch the first series when it ran on TV so i had the whole series to watch in a oner, i hate waiting a week for things to continue. I have the first and second books but i don't want to start reading them because i know i'll go ahead and then i won't enjoy the TV show as much.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Tue 17 Apr 2012, 3:15 pm

Yes im the same i was bought the books for christmas but i dont want to read them incase i spoil the tv show for myself .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 17 Apr 2012, 3:40 pm

well surely you guys can read the first book now that you've seen the first series?

I honestly don't think they've changed it much for tv, so doubt much will be spoilt for you.

I know what you mean about waiting a week though, I hate it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Tue 17 Apr 2012, 3:42 pm

I wasn't sure if the books translated into one series each ?
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 17 Apr 2012, 3:45 pm

from what I can recall, the first series on tv was the first book + a few chapters of the second one.

it's been a while since I've read them, but they do all seem to be going in order for now, there's been nothing obvious where I've though "oh wait that doesn't happen till book 3/whatever"

I get that you don't want to risk spoiling it for yourself though Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Tue 17 Apr 2012, 3:48 pm

My mate did that with The Walking Dead he had read the comics and kept telling me what should happen in the series so eventually i read the comics myself, so now im waiting for things to happen rather then wondering were the story will go .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by randy-poffo Tue 17 Apr 2012, 4:17 pm

It was a while ago that I read a clash of kings, but I'm sure that there were no scenes in it with Renly being gay. I think it might have been hinted at but never confirmed. I can understand the scene with Marjorie as it will be pivotal later in series.
I'm excited about next weeks episode I think things are really going to get going.

randy-poffo

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 17 Apr 2012, 6:02 pm

Have read most of the first book on the Laptop after finishing the first series on TV Rugbydreamer, have the two of them and may start again after the 2nd series finishes. I don't want to finish the second book before the third season airs, i'll not be able to help myself.

I've nearly bought a couple of the Walking Dead comics a few times Kenny but for the same reasons as Game of thrones i've resisted, it's killing me though.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Tue 17 Apr 2012, 7:40 pm

The whole Renly thing was hinted at heavily in the books and was fairly obvious that he and the Knight of Flowers were together. For TV purposes they were right to just put it out there as it translates better that for the screen.

They are planning to do each book as a series, with the third book split into two series much like the novels were due to the size. Occasionaly they will move certain scenes across books if they feel it translates better but I'd image most of these will be flashback or to give characters in certain books bigger parts as sometimes following books have overlapping time lines.

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by randy-poffo Tue 17 Apr 2012, 8:18 pm

Do you think it comes across well in the show though Dass. I would have Preferred it just hinted at.
The same can be said with Stannis and mellisndre.
I don't know if i'm being to picky and I suppose it is hard to put the Renly from the book on the TV show as he is'nt a POV Character.

randy-poffo

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed 18 Apr 2012, 8:40 am

The Galveston Giant wrote:I've nearly bought a couple of the Walking Dead comics a few times Kenny but for the same reasons as Game of thrones i've resisted, it's killing me though.

I wouldn't worry about that mate, the show has been changed quite a bit from the comics. With Kirkman on board he changed things to fit better.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Wed 18 Apr 2012, 5:17 pm

I think for a TV show it works better as the hints at Renly/Stannis and their individual relationships were often through the scanning eyes of other characters but who never directly linked the happenings to relationships or never mentioned them. Renly was never a PoV character and Stannis only later on though never a major one, he being viewed most often through his loyal followers eyes. I think in both these cases while their relationships after a few hints seemed obvious if not confirmed would have been far harder to convey on screen, so might as well get it out there and it just fleshes out a part of the story that was already there.

In regards Renly having the relationship confirmed as such will make the actions of the Knight of Flowers in this series much clearer for non readers.

I think they will always have to make tweaks in some ways to what's hinted at and what's just put out there due to the PoV character situation. Much like Robb is hardly seen in the second novel rather just heard about, where in the TV series wouldn't work as well like that.

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by randy-poffo Thu 19 Apr 2012, 9:19 pm

Yeah true Dass, and thinking about it if HBO decide to stick with GOT for the long run, what we have seen could prove well done certinly with Margaerys story later on.

I'm looking forward to the next episode, I've been reading Charlie Chaplins grandaughter has joined the cast, and is going to make her debut on Monday, Playing a so far unamed Character. I have a feeling its going to be
Spoiler:
but it seems a bit early for her to be introduced.

randy-poffo

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Wed 09 May 2012, 1:48 pm

This show gets better and better , im loving Tyrian for me the best character in the show . Jerome Flynn as Bronn works well with him aswell although i do keep expecting Bronn to breakout into Unchained Melody any minute
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 09 May 2012, 2:10 pm

No way is Bronn Jerome Flynn?! Seriously?! Shocked

if true though - Laugh that's brilliant! He actually plays the role really well.

Arya was always my fave character in the book and she's really living up to that in the show as well, I think she's fab.

Tyrion is also, as ever, fantastic.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Wed 09 May 2012, 3:16 pm

Yeah i'm really enjoying it at the minute, Greyjoy will be dead very shortly you have to imagine.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 09 May 2012, 3:26 pm

he's certainly making himself a lot of enemies isn't he?

I've got to say actually, hats off to the guy who is acting the part of Joffrey. he really portrays what an utter little evil Poopie the character is very well!

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Wed 09 May 2012, 3:38 pm

Yeah i know you want to strangle him.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by randy-poffo Wed 09 May 2012, 4:24 pm

The casting from the beginning of this show has been outstanding. On another forum I use we try to guess who is going to be cast in new roles coming up, (I'm rubbish at it though).
The only thing I'm starting to worry about at the minute are the changes being made from the books. The first season stuck almost to the first book but they have been a few changes made for this season.

randy-poffo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 09 May 2012, 4:35 pm

I think the changes have been necessary though really, just to explain the secondary characters like Robb a bit more, as they never had their own chapters dedicated to them in the books, if you follow me.

I don't think it detracts from it at all at the moment anyways Smile

And completely agree with you on the casting, I think it's all been spot on so far.

Back to top Go down

Post by randy-poffo Wed 09 May 2012, 4:45 pm

Yeah the changes have been good for tv, but it just leaves me a bit worried for future seasons.
But im certainly going to keep the faith with the writers as they have done a cracking job so far.

randy-poffo

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Wed 09 May 2012, 6:47 pm

My only concern was with the Dragon's being stolen as that was never in the books. The other changes I can accept as they don't currently effect the story, the exclusion of some characters while not ideal makes it easier to follow for those who have not read the books. These characters can always be introduced a little further down the line which little or no effect to the story itself.

The Reed children if introduced later on in a certain characters journey wont have much of an effect since they didn't really advance the story very much initially.

A lot of characters are introduced in the books either through fleeting appearance or word of mouth in name then don't feature again with any prominence till later on. I can understand why for tv purposes they have chosen to leave some of these people on the bench so to speak till they need to be introduced to advance the storyline. It was hard work at times remember the names and houses all the time when you had it all written down let alone watching once a week for a hour.

Is it ideal no but they are making a pretty good attempt at working things for tv while keeping things as closely to the books as possible. Though this stolen dragon angle is worrying unless its just seen as a better angle to get Daenerys to take the next step in her journey. Hopefully they just think its a more believable incentive to get Daenerys moving than what was in the book and not a new storyline completely.

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by randy-poffo Wed 09 May 2012, 8:02 pm

I have a feeling the reed children could be dropped compleatly.
The whole killing of Rodrik Cassel was a strange one, it does build up Theon for the show but do you think it could hinder it in the longrun.

I loved the mention of Ramsey Snow, and looking forward to his introduction, I dont think it will be for a couple of seasons though.

randy-poffo

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Wed 09 May 2012, 8:39 pm

Yes Rodrik was a interesting way to go, we get the right finally result just not the same sort of method to get there. All I can guess is they felt Ramsey would do enough other deeds to portray the cut of his character while Theon needed a more defining moment in setting out his conflicted character on screen. Again I'd have preferred the book sequence but the move doesn't change the flow of the story in anyway.

I'm hoping they might introduce the Reed's during the journey without it again effecting the story any degree. Plus initially for screen time they would have just been a couple more faces/names to keep track off doing very little. Now maybe they can be introduced when they start to play a larger part. That's what I'm hoping anyway.

The only person Rodriks death changing could really effect is Ramsey and I think there's plenty enough in his future actions to get a good enough picture of the man.

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Thu 10 May 2012, 12:17 am

rugbydreamer wrote:No way is Bronn Jerome Flynn?! Seriously?! Shocked

if true though - Laugh that's brilliant! He actually plays the role really well.

Arya was always my fave character in the book and she's really living up to that in the show as well, I think she's fab.

Tyrion is also, as ever, fantastic.

It really is Jerome Flynn , i think Alfie Allen as Greyjoy is great aswell . ... maybe they could get his sister Lily in to do a duet with Jerome Very Happy
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Thu 10 May 2012, 10:18 am

I've been sat watching this thinking the guy playing Bron looked familar but couldn't place him at all, didn't ever think it was Jerome Flynn Laugh

Can't see Greyjoy having much life left tbh, hopefully be a good death though.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Tue 15 May 2012, 10:16 am

The ending to last nights was fantastic, showed Greyjoy is becoming a real cruel bar steward.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 15 May 2012, 11:22 am

I think it's more showing that things are out of control for him now, like he wants to be cruel but even he can see that he's now gone too far. Twas a great end to an episode though.

A very good episode, and that counjourer guy who was one of the 13 where Daenerys is, really really creeps me out!

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Tue 15 May 2012, 12:55 pm

Yeah I agree RD, he looks like something out of an 80s horror film.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Tue 15 May 2012, 1:01 pm

I'm actually liking how it's starting to move away from being a direct translation from the novels now, I want it to continue in this vein and actually throw twists of certain characters not dying (or dying) when they are due to in the books.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by randy-poffo Tue 15 May 2012, 4:07 pm

I'm loving the way they are handling theon, you can see the conflict in him.
This episode showed how well cast this show is, with the dialog between the stars. Arya and tywin, cersi and tyrion. Dani and jorah. All simple one on one conversations but done really well. Also you know nothing John Snow, I was waiting for that.

randy-poffo

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Tue 15 May 2012, 4:56 pm

Got to disagree Hero, I don't mind them changing a few things in the build up to events be it through changes of dialogue or actions as long it doesn't effect the arch of the story itself. If it works better for the screen then its understandable.

However the moment they start taking liberties with the timing of character deaths or changing the path of the story from the books it would be all over for me.

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by randy-poffo Tue 15 May 2012, 7:05 pm

I wasn't keen on how they had Jamie killing Alton, Although Alton doesn't appear in the books so does not affect any storylines, I think it makes Jamie look a lot more ruthless than he is.

randy-poffo

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Thu 17 May 2012, 4:02 pm

I'm watching the show but havent read the books - I'm reluctant to as I dont want one to influence the enjoyment of the other. Just enjoying the journey at the moment.
Its amazing how one character is built up only to be killed off in the next moment.
Do any of the main protragonists actually survive to the end of the series?

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 May 2012, 4:36 pm

ah c'mon propdavid, do you really want us to spoil it for you? Wink

All I can tell you is that season 1 stuck almost completely to the books, season 2 is deviating a bit, but all with good reason, they've brought the books to life brilliantly Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Thu 17 May 2012, 4:49 pm

Ha - no dont spoil it. Its just with what, 5 books - i'm going to have to wait another 3yrs to get to the end.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 May 2012, 5:13 pm

hey the series hasn't even been finished yet, there's 2 more books to go, and goodness knows how long it'll take him to write them!

Sure a book a year isn't too bad, think of all the suspense...

Back to top Go down

Post by randy-poffo Thu 17 May 2012, 5:28 pm

GRRM Has posted a chapter from The winds of winter on his website if anyone is intrested.
I hope this book doesn't take as long as A Dance with Dragons took to come out.

randy-poffo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 May 2012, 5:42 pm

yeah I've read that myself, looks like the next book is going to be v good. I expect it'll take him 2-3 years to write the next one, not sure if that's any longer then the wait for ADWD's?

Back to top Go down

Post by randy-poffo Thu 17 May 2012, 5:52 pm

It was six year for ADWD's, I'm sure it's not going take that long this time round.

randy-poffo

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu 17 May 2012, 8:36 pm

Anyone ever picked up the Game of Thrones roleplaying book? My mates and I had a try of it and it's a great system for the world Of Westeros. I was a Bar Steward son of a lord, quite an evil piece of work though that wanted revenge upon my brothers for what the world gave them and not me.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by randy-poffo Fri 18 May 2012, 12:59 am

Not seen it Hero but I am going to look out for it, im loving the idea of getting my geek on with a few mates.

randy-poffo

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Fri 18 May 2012, 7:20 am

Here's the link for you:

http://greenronin.com/sifrp/

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next